“A Great Vacation”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
The South
“A Great Vacation”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We spent two weeks at CSS and definitely plan to return. Originally, we had planned a week at CSS then one week at Tower Island where we have spent the last 3 trips to Jamaica. After two days at CSS, we decided to change our plan and the staff gladly accommodated our request to stay. We were in Building B on the ground floor and we enjoyed our room very much. It was very comfortable and suited our needs. If you are expecting a flawless room, you will be disappointed because some minor cosmetic issues did exist. However, most of us have flaws in our own homes and if we go on vacation looking for reasons to complain, you will always find them. The room was very clean and the staff did a great job keeping it that way on a daily basis. Service was beyond fantastic and all staff members went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. Food was really good as were all the drinks (and there was plenty of whatever beverage you wanted). Sunset beach is wonderful. During our stay most guests were there ----one day there were only 29 folks on the "prude" side while close to 200 enjoyed Sunset Beach. Management even visited a couple of times to ensure that side of the resort was being well taken care of (an act that was greatly appreciated by guests) Tanesha and Jason both worked extremely hard to spoil us during our days on the beach.
Chefs Edgar and Marlon went the extra mile to prepare meals for us. Maureen and Deon were great waitresses. Both the "Q"s were excellent bartenders. Andre in housekeeping always did a little extra service. All the staff at the front desk and guest services were top notch and very accommodating. A note to management---you must hire trainee Richard. He is a definite asset to your resort.
If you are planning a trip to Jamaica, I recommend CSS, especially if you want great A/N facilities and a warm and friendly staff. If you go with the idea of having fun, you will. However, if you go with a microscope and want to find fault with the resort, you will. We will definitely be back next year!

4 Thank champagnechick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I won't belabor this review too much, since I did an exhaustive and thorough review last year, our first time at this resort. You can check it out by visiting my profile and sifting through my reviews.

After 14 trips to Jamaica we like to reward hotels and resorts with repeat business, and last year's visit was more than good enough for a repeat. After getting through customs and immigration with a breeze, we checked in at the Couples office at MoBay Airport, and within about 20 minutes we were on our way. NOTE: If you want a rum punch or something other than beer, go out the exit of the airport and there's a full service bar. They'll let you back in with "no problems, mon."

We once again got a room in Block A, beachfront on the top floor. Made all our dinner reservations for the week at check in and scheduled a private dinner for Thursday at the Wedding Gazebo. Good to make them soon as you get there to avoid any filling up or not getting the time you want to eat... So we booked two nights at the Cassanova, one night at the Palazinna and our private dinner. The other two nights are Gala and Beach Party. Frankly I'd be ok with one...two maybe is a bit much and it's a lot of work for the folks that work there... If you do a private dinner...Thursday is a good night to do it... The beach and gala events are outdoors and the music and noise echos through the cove and can be a bit disturbing if you're having a private romantic encounter.

Again, the rooms are dated, but when you build right on the Caribbean in the tropics...keeping it looking like new is tough. They were replacing some furniture in the rooms the week we were there.. Keeping in mind we don't spend much time in the room. They are cleaned every day..pretty well too... Like I said in my previous review... this resort is not a five star relative to something like the Ritz Carlton or something...but it comes with a lot of charm. The grounds are stellar and kept in very good shape. The week we were there, they were putting the finishing touches on the revamping of the massage huts, which are poised on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean in a jungle-like setting...gorgeous, if you're into massages, which we are not...

The service is still very, very good, for the most part. Anywhere you'll stay you'll have a couple people that are there for a paycheck...can't avoid that. But if we were asked once, we were asked a hundred times if we were having a good time...is everything good...can we get you anything. Once, I was on my way down the stairs to get ice, and a grounds keeper came and said "let me get that for you mon..what room are you in" and gladly delivered a bucket of ice five minutes later... that's the kind of thing that is good. The water sport equipment looked in good order...hobie catamarans were out every day... I didn't sail this week, as I did last year... just never got around to it...

Got to do the repeaters dinner. It's an actual dinner, unlike some resorts that have a simple cocktail reception. This was a nice dinner, a staff member sat at every table and the GM and Ops Mgr. spoke and it was evident that they truly want to do a good job and get everyone back. Dinner consisted of lobster, steak kabobs and various courses.

We vacation au naturel..and they have made some nice improvements to the A/N beach including removing the giant mountain like "love grotto" water feature from the middle of the pool, resurfaced it...installed an in-ground hot tub and re-make over the swim up bar...Nice job guys and gals. Plenty of new floaties and tables for the beach too..no problem all week...getting them... of course TIP: tipping is not expected by the staff, but we all know that a little something extra goes a long way... we took care of one of the workers and every day the chairs we wanted were reserved for us... Again, I never felt like tipping was expected, but a lot of people do it...especially those that know there's not much of a minimum wage in Jamaica and these kids work really hard to make their money...so I have no problem with tipping for really good service... The A/N pool buffet was good although I'm a jerk chicken guy and we beat cheeks over to the other side for it daily for lunch. At 5pm...they let clothed people on the beach to watch the sunset... so just know that... maybe a handful showed up every day... Other than that, you have to be A/N to use the beach which we like...

Oh..the WIFI situation has been resolved...they must have a dozen routers throughout the resort...Except for one night when it went out...we got good strong connections which made it nice staying in touch with the kids using Facetime instead of expensive long distance calls.

We'll likely repeat there a third time next year... things are looking good at CSS and like I said... we're easy to please...and like to reward good service and resorts/hotels that are making the effort...

Room Tip: Book your restaurant reservations at check in to have the best chance of getting the time and locati...
5 Thank Barry L
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband has stayed at Sans Souci over the years many times, since the 1980's, for work purposes--he is an award-winning film-maker and worked out of resorts all over Jamaica doing documentaries and travel specials--this was our first time at Sans Souci since it has been owned by Couples and we were disappointed in the changes. The resort lost a lot of its quaintness, which has been replaced by hideous and embarrassing cruise-ship like events. We came for romance, and what we got were ridiculous events like the gala and starlight dinners, not to mention music from the 1980's american pop, rather than local Jamaican music, which we would have much preferred.
Over all, the service by the restaurant and bar staffs, and the housekeeping staffs were excellent, as was the food. The beach is very nice, and the secluded cove setting of the resort is wonderful and attractive.

We paid extra for a beach view room, (we were on the ground floor) and during our 10-day stay, we had 4 days where instead of seeing our view, we saw workmen and tents--one day for the regular friday starlight gala, and three days for an anniversary party for the resort. We also got to listen to noise from the construction well into the night. The resort also seemed overpriced for the quality of the rooms. The overall resort is very attractive, but basic maintenance of cosmetic things in the rooms was neglected, making it look like the owners are out to save every penny. It was nothing that ruined our stay, but a toilet missing a bolt, a cheap shower curtain that is torn and missing a ring, a rusty clothesline over the tub, skimpy on the soaps and toiletry products--these things make us wonder where our $500 per day goes, as did the fact that the television channels were not high definition. Any mid-level hotel in the US would never have issues like this, let alone a supposedly high class one, and all of these fixes would cost hardly anything.

Further about these "galas"--we did not come to a couples resort to sit at dinner with a bunch of people we don't know--we came for a romantic couples experience. I believe many of our fellow guests felt the same. We also did not like the fact that a whole beach, plus a nice pool and bar, was off limits to paying patrons who choose to leave their clothes on. And, the "famous" balloon bar was closed the whole time we were at the resort. Couldn't renovations wait for the low season?

2 Thank Shura P
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Shura P,

Thank you for trying Sans Souci under the Couples brand. We appreciate your feedback.

Couples Resorts offers a number of activities on-site. However, we always ensure there is ample seclusion for guests to relax. Couples Resorts are still the most tranquil and intimate within the all-inclusive market. Our hotels are also very authentic in the sense that a lot of our furnishings are locally made and soft reggae is played throughout public areas.

We were pleased to learn that you found the food, service, and beach excellent.

Pertaining to rooms, the block you stayed in will be refurbished this year.

Couples Sans Souci still remains one of the highest rated resorts in the Ocho Rios area. It’s untouched beauty and history create a unique vacation experience. Your comments can only help in preserving this. Thanks again.

Abraham Issa
Alexandria, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We traveled to Sans Souci with some friends to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and we enjoyed every minute of the trip. To be honest, I don't think I would even want to risk staying anywhere else because I will always be comparing it to Sans Souci. We stayed in the B Block of rooms which were well furnished, new, and close to the pool, Palazzina Restaurant, and au natural beach, which we enjoyed. Our friends stayed in A unit.

I think the grounds of Sans Souci were a major high point for me. Around every corner is some hidden delight! Secret stairways wind their ways up and over the rock bluffs and bring you to hidden hammocks, cozy hot tubs and our favorite, the mineral grotto. We walked around the pond every night to see the birds, turtles, crabs and lizards. I even saw some Mongoose prints in the sand!

Albert gave us a wonderful Eco-Tour of the grounds, pointing out rare plants, fruit trees and fielding our dozens of questions. The guys at the water sports office were really helpful! We took quite a few snorkeling and glass-bottom boat trips, went for a crazy ride in a HobieCat with Ray who used to race them and then we learned how to scuba as well! We also had some wonderful waitstaff. One night we were serenaded by Keston and another night we won a riddle-solving game with Martin.

Dining at the resort was wonderful. One of our friends has some serious food allergies and was very worried that food choices would be a problem. She and her husband were so relieved to find that at every meal, the head Chef would come out to talk with her about her options. She never had the same thing twice, and a few times, they even made something special just for her! The lunch and breakfast buffets were superb with local specialties as well as stand-by favorites if you aren't feeling brave. I never thought I'd eat ackee and codfish for breakfast, but it was amazing! We booked dinners at Casanovas, one at Palazzina and enjoyed every one of our meal. I still think about the fish tacos we had at the Beach Grill!!

Room Service was prompt and friendly and our mini bar was always stocked in a timely manner! The housekeeping staff was also so kind! We got some great travel tips from our housekeeper and had wonderful conversation with her. She put little flowers on our bed every night, it was so adorable!

We took full advantage of the bar service, just try the Rum and Ting! All the bartenders we encountered were helpful and friendly, especially Veronique at the Au Natural Beach, which was important because we were very nervous to try it out. We surprised ourselves by heading over there every day! The Sunset Beach had a very laid-back, non-sexual vibe. I felt like a little kid skinny dipping! And no judgement from anyone either. I felt very comfortable (once I got over my own initial nerves) The water from the White River flows right into the sea there and makes for a wonderful swimming experience! In the morning, locals come out with their fishing boats, but they are respectful and friendly. We also met the nicest and most down-to-earth guests over: no high-maintenance complainers on that side of the resort!

We couldn't have asked for a better time! All of us enjoyed every single aspect of this resort and its amenities and staff. This will certainly be a trip that we all plan to repeat!

Room Tip: B block rooms were close to everything.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lesley M
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If they had half stars, I would give 4 1/2. This is a great resort. Beautiful grounds and location that are very well maintained. Yes, the room could maybe use a touch of updating, but how much time do you spend there? Food is good to very good. They make alot of effort to change the food selections and offer some Jamaican choices daily. It was fun to try local favorite foods.
Many great staff people that work hard every day. Special love to Tanisha and Jason for that little extra TLC that makes a 5 star experience. They are investing in improving the resort, which is nice to see. To REALLY enjoy the grounds, you need to walk hills and stairs, but if you can't, they will shuttle you to your room, restaurants, etc. you definitely get your money's worth here. Why not 5 stars? The devil is in the details. To me, 5 star is no obvious repairs. No need to ask for things you think should be there, like water in the fridge when you arrive or a full replenish of room linens after cleaning. No need to wait on yourself because staff are otherwise occupied. No systems that take extra effort. And most importantly, consistency. I will gladly come back, but like all AI resorts I have been to, there are flaws in consistency, and little extra touches that just go that extra mile would be nice. Finally, a pet peeve of mine, I hate beach towel rationing/ 1 per guest per day. Just charge me more. And give me towels. The pros far outweigh the negatives here. I cannot imagine not liking this place. One final request, which may not be fair since I did not remember to put it on my comment card, but the arrival lounge in the airport offers Red Stripe, which is a nice touch, but how about a great rum punch on tap as well? I hate beer, and I can't be the only one. Start me off with a native liquor, and put some lead in that pencil!

Room Tip: Block A and B are Ocean View. Block D is over a beautiful cliff, but I don't know how good all t...
3 Thank Leslie L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Arrived back home after a fortnight at Sans Souci on Friday. Our first trip to Jamaica. We loved it and to be honest the few complaints we have seen on Trip Advisor seem to be from people who would find something to moan about come hell or high water! The weather for the last two weeks has been a lot wetter than is usual at this time of year, but it didn't spoil our enjoyment as it was still beautifully warm. Adopt a relaxed, no worries approach to everything and life couldn't be better. Without exception every member of staff be they manager, waiter, barman, housekeeper, gardener or parrot carrier arounder were so kind and helpful and if I could bottle their wonderful smiles the world would be a happier place. We achieved what we set out to do which was a trip to Nine Mile on a colourful bus to see where The Legend that is Bob Marley was born and is now laid to rest, and also the climb up Dunn's River Falls. I found it quite challenging but am delighted to have done it. We have only praise for Couples Sans Souci and what was to have been the holiday of a lifetime is already being saved up again for!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room in B block. This was close to sea, main lawn and main pool. It suited us...
1 Thank Jackie W
Indiana
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have been going to Jamaica since 1998. Each year is better than the year before.i would have given an excellent rating if the rooms were in better condition.
Yes the rooms are in need of major updating but you don't spend all your time in the room. Plus we were able to see the remodeled room. It's gorgeous! The plan is to have all the rooms remodeled in buildings A&B within the next 14 months. They are also going to update the Beach Grill within a few weeks.
I fell while our second night there. I don't drink so that wasn't the problem. The area I fell at was not lit very well. I didn't see the slight drop in the sidewalk & I went down. Within seconds Melvin from the bar was there along with other staff. The nurse came and was very nice. No broken bones. Everyone went out of their way to help. In spite of that I'm planning on returning next year.
Our experience here has always been positive. If you are looking for a laid back atmosphere with couples & NO kids then I'd recommend this property.

2 Thank LynnesPicks
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!