Couples Sans Souci
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
US$83
US$69
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$74
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$135
Hotwire.com
US$176
Official Site
Reggae Hostel Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$63
Jamaica Inn(Ocho Rios)
US$461
US$424
4,161 results
All reviewsmineral poolballoon barbella vistasunset beachsan souciau natural beachb blockmain beachbeachfront suitestarlight galacasanova restaurantroom servicefriday night galamineral grottonooks and cranniessmoothie barin room dining
Reviewed 2 June 2014

First off, I will say that we had a really nice break from work, and that it was incredibly relaxing.

I have had a bit of difficulty rating this one and would probably settle for 3.5 stars if that was possible, but have settled on 4 rather than 3 as we thought that, on reflection, it was excellent value (we paid just under £2,k each including flights and transfers etc, and unlike other holidays the only other time we opened our wallet was to tip our driver and pay for some spa treatment).

Positives

- The grounds are simply stunning: the hotel is multi-tiered, the lobby at the pinnacle overlooking the rainforest descending to the sea, there are a variety of paths winding there way down through the trees where there are a number of small plateaus with pools, bars, hammocks (so you can always find your own space), a waterfall, mineral spring grotto, then the lower tier with the main beach, swimming pool and restaurants, a freshwater lake, and private au naturel section. Considering there are so few rooms, the grounds are huge, incredibly varied and beautiful.

- The staff are incredibly friendly, and always seem keen to chat.

- All inclusive really is all inclusive there. We changed GBP into USD800 thinking that there would be the usual extras, but even after some spa treatment we still have $700 left.

- Sunset Beach is a great addition: very private, and in reality a nicer pool and beach than the main one.

- The wildlife: each morning after breakfast we would wander around the lake to feed the freshwater turtles (terrapin maybe), and watch the pelicans and kingfishers take bread from you and use it to bait the fish to the surface. Various geckos, spiders in the rainforest too, and plenty of fish to see on the snorkel trip. Be careful of the sea urchins off the main beach though!

- The rooms are really quite big, with nice sized verandahs. The beds were also super comfortable.

- The lunch at Sunset Beach.

-The wraps and fruit smoothies at the mineral pool.

- Always prefer the couples-only atmosphere.

- The spa was brilliant, with treatment huts perched on the side of the cliff, overhanging the ocean.

- Did I say that the grounds were fantastic?

Negatives

- We were staying in the sea view suites up near the lobby. Though large, they were quite tired, especially the bathroom, and the standard of finishing was not really up to that of a 4/5 star resort. However, I am aware that some of the rooms are newer, and that Couples are working their way around the resort upgrading the rooms so this should improve.

- I know that this is going to sound nit-picky, and in reality I think that it is partly because, living in London, we are used to having everything done immediately. This is definitely not the Caribbean way. When we go to the Far East, they are so efficient that by the time we have had breakfast, the room has been cleaned and made up. Whilst this is obviously above and beyond, we found that on a number of occasions the room would not be made up until the evening. It is not the biggest deal in the world, but it is slightly awkward when you come back up to your room after the sun goes down, sit outside on the terrace with a drink or start to get ready for dinner and then someone comes in to clean your room. As I say, it is only nit-picking, and at first it did not bother us, but when it became the normal routine it was a tiny irritation.

- The food is really quite good, especially for an all inclusive, however, though the atmosphere of each restaurant is different, the actual food is quite similar at each. It seemed that a lot of guests come from the US for 5 days or so (nice short flight), and I think it would be fine for that, but for two weeks the menus got a little repetitive (though nice). It is also great that you can use your terrace for in-room dining, but perhaps a bit more variety on that menu would be excellent.

The positives definitely outweighed the negatives and we had a great time and met some great people (staff and guests), but I think with a few tweaks it could be a first-rate resort rather than just a very good one. We will definitely keep an eye out for any last minute offers to Sans Souci to treat ourselves to and go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a sea view suite, but thought it was a little dated. The beachfront suites looked in much better condition.
10  Thank JimJam1235
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I recently returned from our Honeymoon at CSS. We honestly felt the greater majority of our stay was everything we could have hoped. Everything about the trip was perfect until we had a tablet stolen from the room. It was our fault for not securing the item in the safe, however the reaction to us reporting the incident was troubling. When informing management/security of the incident they were almost incredulous we were even reporting this. After filing the report and watching them search the room for the device (along with my wife's lingerie drawer) I was told someone would follow up on Monday. Monday came and went along with the rest of the stay and no one followed through. I would never expect compensation, just make us feel better about the situation, like they were on top of it or even cared.

That being said, the views were beautiful, the bartenders and servers were fantastic and food was good.

Their inaction of following through left a bad taste in our mouths.

12  Thank as232148
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear as232148,

Congratulations and thank you for spending your honeymoon at Couples Sans Souci. It is unfortunate your tablet device went missing. A thorough investigation was carried out and there were no signs of broken entry or unauthorized access. Management will contact you today with a security report and insurance information to assist you further.

Abraham Issa

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We selected this resort for our 30th anniversary based upon recommendations from a friend. It was incredible. The accommodations were top notch. Very romantic. Staff attended to our every need ensuring we were always happy and having a fabulous time. The staff treated us like family more than anything. Richard was a great water sports instructor. Senita and Milton were outstanding activity directors. They made each day so much fun! My favorite bartenders made the best drinks Demar, Peter and Akeem. Brian is the man when it comes to Bob Marley and Rainbow shots. He is also a talented comedian, and a great guy. I will definitely be back. This is more than a five star resort!!!!! The food was excellent every meal and the wait staff attended to every need. The spa is over the top in the services provided. We did a couples massage which was comparable to a five star spa in Dallas. I recommend this resort to any couple looking for fun, romance and activities.

Room Tip: I only gave a lower rating on sleep quality because of issues beyond the resorts control. If your room is ocean view you might overlook a Forrest of Palm trees that are full of tree frogs at night. The first few nights they kept us up. But we learned to keep the doors to the living area and bathroom closed which helped muffle those high pitched chirps
3  Thank 506Trish
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great resort, excellent food, superb service. Don't forget to sign up for Club Mobay, this is the fastest way to get through Customs. Make sure to go to the Gala Dinner, great food, good entertainment.

3  Thank hacm1
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I normally don’t take the time to review trips I’ve taken, but I felt obligated to write this review, seeing as how I researched this resort to the ends of the earth and back before making a decision… so with that being said,
Arrival at MoBay airport: we talked and talked about whether or not we wanted to purchase Club MoBay VIP lounge for the arrival of our trip. I looked at the flight schedule and there were planes arriving like every 15 minutes around out arrival. I’m glad we opted not to do the service for an extra 60 something dollars per person considering how much we already paid for the resort. The line was backed up all the way to the down, and we still weren’t in line for more than 45 minutes because they had every window open at immigration. When we passed all that and customs, we had time to drink 2 beers each in the Couples Lounge then the van was there to take us to the airport. Don’t forget dollars to tip the bag guys. I think we tipped 2 bucks per bag. And also tipped the bus driver 5 bucks each.
Arrival at resort: We were escorted into the lobby where they met us with cool towels and cool champagne. Check in went smooth. I know I had read you had to put a $300 “hold” on your debit or credit card for incidentals. Since this is a cashless resort, and extras you want to purchase such as photos, massages, or the water shoes we had to buy to visit Dunn’s River falls. Anyway, all we had were our debit cards and she said it had to be an actual credit card, so we didn’t have to put down the deposit. When we checked out, we just had to pay the $24 for both of our water shoes. We didn’t purchase anything else.
A driver then took us to our room in a van which was nice. It would have sucked to walk all that way with our bags. We opted for a one bedroom beachfront suite. I was in LOVE with our room. Yes, the views were sometimes better from up on the cliff, but we are beach and pool people so we wanted to be close to those. I would have not wanted to stay anywhere else. It’s just a matter of person preference I guess.

We immediately changed into swimsuits and went to the beach bar for late lunch then to the beach. The food was great. This was our first all-inclusive so I really wasn’t expecting stellar food. We never once complained though, and we both are foodies. I’m pretty sure the first meal we ordered, we shared a beef patty, onion rings, and a jerk burger or something. Anyway, the food never disappointed. We ordered room service a good bit. Especially in the afternoon, since we usually ate late in the evenings. The breakfast buffet was always good, the omelets amazing. The cheeses are wonderful. The pasta bar at the Palazinna was freaking AMAZING at lunch! We never ate at Casanova, and only ate dinner at Palazinna once. We didn’t want to make reservations then have to think all day “well, don’t forget we have to be at dinner at 7 tonight so we need to quit drinking or whatever we were doing.”
The staff were always friendly. Every time we passed someone, they would always ask how we were, if we needed anything, if they could help us find something. They were always smiling, and most of the time singing something too! Housekeeping were always on top of their job. If you need extra towels though, you can exchange them at the water sports hut out on the beach. We didn’t realize that until like day 3, so that is important to know. And room service was too. Sometimes it did take a while to get the bar refilled or something. Really, the only complaint we have in that department is that you can only order 4 beers at a time. We are big beer drinkers, so that kind of sucked. I guess they do that because the bottles are more expensive than the draft you get at the bars? I don’t know. The liquor at the bar seemed to be watered down a little bit or something because with us not being big liquor drinkers, I should have a bigger buzz after 3 or 4 drinks. But it did work out for our benefit because we could sit on the beach and drink all day without getting sloppy drunk. The beer seemed to give a bigger buzz, so I drank that at night when we were hanging out at the bars.
The watersports guys were super nice also. We did the glass bottom boat tour and paddle boarding. So those are the only things I can comment on.
I would definitely say do Dunn’s River Falls. We almost opted out of going because we heard you have to exit through a craft market and the locals are very aggressive. We ended up meeting another couple and hanging out with them a lot. So we signed up and went the same day as them since it was like their 3rd or 4th trip there. I would strongly suggest going on the tour. Don’t let the locals deter you from going. When we were leaving, my husband and I just held hands and carried on a conversation and never made eye contact. Even our bus driver said not to enter the shops because you won’t be able to leave that easily. Don’t shake hands with them, no matter what you say. They are shouting “I have a free gift for you inside” or “free beer in here” (come on, is anything in life free?) the ladies want to braid your hair. Like I said, just don’t make eye contact.
I think this resort was perfect for us. We wanted something secluded and private. Sans Souci is in a cove, so the whole beach belongs to the resort. The beach isn’t huge or anything, but it NEVER once felt crowded. I feel like the majority of people were at the nude beach. We never tried it. We only went over there to see the sun sets. During the day, the beach is Au Naturel. Which means clothing is PROHIBITED. But at 5 it becomes clothing OPTIONAL so everyone can enjoy the beach. The sun sets are amazing from there too! There were usually chairs available. But I was THAT person… I did go down about 6:30 every morning and put our towels and beach chairs out. But I really don’t feel bad about it because we actually used them all day except to go eat lunch. We were under one of the huts everyday. I did see a lot of people take up chairs and never saw the dang people out there.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a secluded getaway. We enjoyed this resort for our honeymoon. Its quite a shame for the town to look so scary and not be able to enjoy the local cuisine and crafts, but maybe that was just us. It was our first time out of the country, so maybe it just looked scary to us. We will definitely go back. I would like to try a different Couples resort though.

Room Tip: A block beachfront is perfect location to beach and pools!
9  Thank Jchapm