“1st Vacation to Jamaica”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Overall our trip was wonderful. I was told there were only 3 or 4 5 star resorts in Jamaica and this is one of them. The scenery was gorgeous however the actual resort and the rooms were dated. You can tell they do not do a lot of up-keep on the building itself. We did love how this resort is on a cliff. We enjoyed lots of walking, just not on the beach. The beach is just a cove so do not expect long walks on the beach. We also were there when they were doing construction on the main beach close to the pool/bar. During the day that main pool bar near the construction was the only place open to get drinks unless you went to the restaurant. I tried to lay on the beach and relax and stay close to where we could grab drinks, but there is nothing relaxing about laying on the beach in Jamaica with a jack hammer going off about 15 feet away. This made us wander off and go find areas to be alone. That was not hard, but by the time we got to a place to relax together it was time to go back and get another drink. (Jamaica Problems :)) I had one issue at the end of the trip that will be reson enough for me not to go back. I work at a bank so i look at my account daily. At the end of the stay we were asked to pay for our excursions. We did and I kept the receipt and when i got back to work the charge was showing on my account for the correct total. The next day I look at it (it had not yet hard posted to my account) and the amount was changed! It was increased to a higher amount. I called them and they could not help me. A manager was suppose to call me and never has. I even sent them a written letter with a copy of the receipt and a copy of my bank statement with what was actually charged to my account. I have yet to hear anything over the issue. I would have rated higher if it weren't for this. It's just wrong. I would be willing to bet I am not the first person this has happened to.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AshleyMurray
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear AshleyMurray,

Thank you for trying Jamaica as a destination and choosing Couples Sans Souci as your resort. We are happy to learn your overall experience was wonderful. Please know that all of your comments are being reviewed by management. Sincere apologies for any maintenance noise that disrupted your vacation, we always minimize renovation work near guest areas.

Regarding your excursion charge, one of our managers will contact you via-email to explain. Your total was increased by $5.00 due to an international transaction fee. The hotel is not responsible. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Don't get me wrong, I love the resort grounds, beach and pools. But this was our second visit here, tow years in a row. When we checked in at 12:00 pm on Sat Apr the 27th, the room wasn't ready, which wasn't a problem we went to the beach and that's all we needed.

So I asked for A-block of rooms, ground floor. We got it. But these rooms need a big update fast, its hard to close/open doors, mold in the room, floors were not clean, heck even the tv cord is coming off the wall. I know some people say they spend time in the room, well I do. I didn't complain while there, cause they already have your money. I mean I can go any where in the world, but I chose to come back knowing these things, but the second time around makes me think I going to try a differnent resort or country all together.

The food was good to me, sometimes you wish service could be quicker. There is always someone willing to get you a drink, but it seems too long to wait for food to come out of the kitchens sometimes.

My wife and I really like San Souci, so much we wanted to go back, even asked other couples we met the year before to go back with us and they did. That made it a good time. Sunset beach is where we spent most of our time, the water is good, the pool is good, and view even better. A week does go by quick. But I will not be back until a update is done. Dubai here I come.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JPTexan82
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear JPTexan82,

Thank you for returning to Couples Sans Souci. Although our check-in time is 3:00 PM daily, we apologize for the wait to get your room at the resort. Management has located the room you stayed in and is addressing each defect mentioned in your review.

It is unfortunate that you are thinking about choosing a different resort as well as a different destination. However, I highly recommend our Tower Isle resort 5 minutes away from Sans Souci which has a much more modern concept. Don’t hesitate to private message me here on Trip Advisor to ask questions.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is our second trip to CSS and probably not last.After problems with Carribiean Arilines ... by sassy unwelcoming staff and for not cleared us for the time we had we miss are plane!!! We was force to bock new flight on own! We did make to MOB safe and sound with gourmet of JetBlue crew. :)
After 1,5 hr. fun ride from air port to the hotel..surprise was waiting for us.... a VIP suite Prime Minister Suit only because for our room in Bolck A was not yet ready! Moreover a ice cold of champagne on the table, and munchies .... So you are Welcome! :) A lovely two rooms, two bathrooms and a huge comfortable bed :) two TV etc etc..
Beautiful view from the terrace of ocean and beach !
The next day we had without any haste in the afternoon transported our luggage to the Beach front A 3th floor (Rm29) beautiful view such as we remembered from the previous stay ...
Signed up for the diving lesson and free scuba diving! Super! I do not regret a commemorative photograph will be hung on the walls in our bathroom.My wife Dorothy was rested and sunning the whole bottom on the beach picking the most diverse cocktails and drinks ... everything your heart desires CSS will give it to you.
Our stay was Great but as usual to short...all the food and drinks are excellent!!Trust me I tray all...... :)
For sure it'll we come back again for our 30th wedding anniversary :) D & A

P.S. Thank you Mitch form Diving teem for you patients and teach me how to dive...a will never forget!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank adamners
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff at CSS once again made us feel welcome and attended to our every need. It's amazing to me that everyone is so friendly and willing to help. It's the people that make Couples everything it is.
We stayed in F block again. Love the ocean view and very roomy accommodations. The room is kind of sparse, but very comfortable and spotless. Be warned that the F Block (and G) are at the top of the hill by the lobby. The elevator was down for several days and we got our exercise climbing back up from the beach each day.
The food was pretty good this time, though not the best we've experienced at couples.
Whether you want to mingle around the pool or find a private space for quiet time with your spouse, CSS delivers. The property feels vast.
The grounds are beautiful. You're missing out if you don't explore every inch of it. We liked doing a couple laps around the pond and soccer field each day.
The spa area is sublime. I can't think of how it could be any better, really.

Room Tip: F&G blocks are at the top of the hill. It's a haul down to the beaches from there. In return...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cardfanjim
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I chose Couples Sans Souci for our honeymoon. Although we're young, we liked that fact that the reviews suggested this place was truly for rest and relaxation, not wild parties. We were definitely in the youngest 20% there. This is exactly as we expected according to reviews. We stayed in the A Block, on the ground floor ocean front. The room was perfect. The food was amazing. Although the beach bar was under renovation, we honestly never missed it as the tent they set up was great too. I read all the reviews- that the staff "make" the place and was a bit cynical but they are really so amazing. Hey Conrad, Trevaughn, Ramone from the kitchen, Ricardo, Conroy, Courtney (housekeeping)!! I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the amazing staff we met.
I never went without a beach chair and didn't have to reserve one first thing in the morning. We could move locations as we pleased and there were always available chairs. We mainly stuck to "prudie" beach and not nudie beach. We had no problems getting meal reservations although a couple of times we ate a bit later than we would have preferred, but not a big deal to us. We never ordered room service. We always had hot water for showers. We never had any tummy troubles. The room was well cleaned and mini bar stocked as requested. One day our phone broke and was fixed within an hour so no jokes about things being fixed on Jamaican time here! We were never bored and took in just the right amount of activities. The resort is serene and spacious so we could go for strolls, lay in a hammock and enjoy our drinks, all while feeling that we had the place to ourselves. When I describe it to friends, I say that other resorts are all about the restaurants and the beach and there isn't much inbetween. Here, the grounds are beautiful and there are so many hidden hideaways. I believe it was at 70% capacity when we went in early April 2014.
I use a CPAP machine and the staff had pre-arranged my distilled water and it was in the room when I arrived.
TL;DR: If you want a peaceful vacation where you're waited on with the right amount of care at a spacious resort, go here!!!
We also used Club Mobay so if you're going to Jamaica, I highly recommend this service.

Room Tip: Room A11 was perfect- beachfront but to the side of the pool, so we never got any noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allison M
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Another wonderful time at our home away from home! This time for nine days - so relaxing -even with all of the water volleyball and other activities. Even the daily rain didn't take away from a fabulous time. Spent the week with couples from all over the US that we met at the A/N pool/bar. We have many new friends! This happens so easily at the A/N side where everyone is so friendly. The bartenders there are extra special too. I was immediately recognized from a previous trip and welcomed warmly. We can't wait to return to CSS as soon as we can.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank George O
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The people there are excellent and make the experience what it is! There is so much to do that is included with your stay that is really fun. The food is great as well as the service. I couldn't have asked for anything better! They asked for things to improve on when we checked out and we had to think pretty hard to come up with a few things and most of those things we just little picky things that probably only pertained to us. I hope to go back soon and hopefully take friends and would recommend it for sure!

• Stayed: May 2014
#8 of 80 in Negril
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!