“Impressed doesn't come close to how great it was” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Impressed doesn't come close to how great it was”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I struggled to find a place to enjoy our honeymoon and finally decided on Jamaica. I spoke with my travel agent and she suggested Couples Sans Souci. We had never heard of this place but thought it couldn't be that bad and we were floored at what we got.

From the moment you step off the plane to that sad day you have to say goodbye, the staff at CSS goes out of their way to make you feel "at home." I honestly couldn't imagine anywhere else being as good, if not better than those at CSS. The food was outstanding, the people were friendly and warm, the grounds were beautifully kept, the activities were fun and exactly the kinds of things we wanted to do. Dunn's River was more than we expected and we were grateful for that! I had booked a sunset dinner for our honeymoon as a surprise for my wife and the staff went out of their way to ensure the surprise stayed a secret until the very point of dropping us off at the location.

My wife has very vibrant pink and purple hair and was the only one I noticed in the complex that had hair like that. Everywhere we went, she was stopped and the poeple admired the color. Because of this, she "stood out" a bit and all of the staff we interacted with knew us by name! It was nothing to hear our names be shouted out across the grass or beach and a friendly wave and smile from someone follow! She loved every minute of it!

We received a complimentary couples massage for our honeymoon and let me just say, it was amazing! Lying in a private open gazebo listening to the waves crash below you as you and your new spouse enjoy a relaxing massage together is a priceless memory anyone would be happy to enjoy.

It took some getting used to just walking away after finishing a meal or a drink, but this was our first time at an all inclusive resort. I highly recommend the Couples experience and we are already looking to book for next year!

4 Thank Greg S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,246)
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here last week. It was a good experience but I did have a few issues....

Bell Desk - the guy who answered the phone, Frankie I think, was rude every time I called. I called maybe 2x for service the entire week so not sure what his problem was. After 10 min from our designated time for our luggage and ourselves to be picked up to check out, I called and he didn't seem to care that we needed to get the shuttle to the airport on time and so I called the front desk at which she was more helpful. When you come to a place for the first time, your first encounter with an employee on property should be welcome and friendly. The bell man looked mad or upset and was not very friendly.

Phone in the Suite - there were labeled one touch buttons for front desk, gift shop, in room dining, etc, however none of them corresponded with the right department. I pressed the button for in room dining and got the front desk. Pushed bell desk and got somewhere else. So when I got on the phone with the wrong people, some seemed annoyed. Someone would offer to transfer and then give me the correct extension number just to know. Others would just give give me an extension number and hang up.

Shower - the water changed temperature during all of our showers. So it would go from HOT to warm and HOT and warm or even a little cool. It was irritating.

Room Service - took like an hour. One evening a soccer game was on and after more than an hour I called wondering what happened. They said it was finishing up. Then we got a call again saying because the game was on, they got held up....so i'm thinking the employees were watching the soccer match....They did make up for it with a bottle of champagne.

Beach Bar Server - they should have more than one person serving drinks on the beach. a few times we waited like 30 min for one drink so we just would leave and go have lunch or back to our room.

Housekeeping - this was done WAY too late in the day. by the time 4/5p came around and we are going back in our room to shower and hang out, they were either still cleaning or just getting in to clean so we would sit on the balcony until they were done.

Buffets/Restaurants - Palazzina, during lunch a few times, had some not so great selections from the buffet. I feel like, you're in Jamaica, serve Jamaican food. I can get Mediterranean food in the states and it taste better. Dinner was better. However, when I ordered the Cornish hen dinner, I was expecting a whole one or at least half. Instead I got what looked like a leg and part of the thigh. Needless to say I was hungry afterwards.

The Grill - this is a resort, they should never run out of anything at 1p when they open for lunch at like 11:30. Our first experience on our first day I ordered a beef patty only to be told they were out of them and only had curry chicken patties. A few days later a couple ordered a veggie burger and were told they were out.

Overall we enjoyed ourselves. Some of these are minor but when you pay a lot of money for a resort, you expect less bumps.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tiff1632
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We just spent a week at the Couples Sans Souci from June 12 to June 19. In short: great vacations that we would highly recommend to other couples looking for both an awesome location and a great chance to enjoy being a couple without other people kids, etc. We will definitively go back!

What we really liked at the resort was:

The people: Couples definitively trains their employees the right way and all the employees we dealt with were great. Especially kudos to Simone at the Bella Vista restaurant. She served us two nights at a speedy pace at the beach restaurant and she was awesome!

The Au Naturel beach: that is the best part of the resort. With a very private and separate location from the main resort, we enjoyed being in the buff for most of the resort. It is not an optional clothing beach, so don't expect to see many other people clothed.

Food: food was great -- while not being a 5 star type of food -- it was pretty decent for breakfast and lunch, and the three restaurants served very decent food for dinner. And they had 2 large parties during the week -- one on the ground and one on the beach.

Room size: the Ocean suite we had a great size with an additional separation and a balcony. Given the fact that we did not spend that much time in the room, it was almost too much. But great to have for people who likes to stay put.

Vista: the resort is actually much larger than it seems and there are a lot of small pathways and walk to have in the resort. Plenty places to find quiet places!

What we did not look too much and would like to see improve are:

Service Speed: The restaurant next to the registration area has great food and awesome views (assuming that you eat there before it gets too dark). The problem is that it is very slow to serve. Expect at least 2 hours to go through the entire meal. On our last night, we spent 2:30h waiting for the food to arrive...

Room: We were staying in room B34 (Ocean View suite) with a great view and great location. While clean and large, the room is definitively in need of renovation. We can't wait until all the rooms like the one in B12. We are not sure why, but it was almost impossible to get decent water pressure during the stay.

Timing: the pool, bar and beach are supposed to open at 9am, but often the employees were still cleaning the pool or the beach much later in the morning. It would have been great to not have the poolman working at 9:30am while you are in the pool...

Spa: probably our low key experience at the resort. The person at the reception probably did not go through the other employees' training or forgot her Jamaica spirit, because she was very rude. The massage itself was great, but nothing to drink either before or after. We did a trial of 25 minutes each to get an idea and were planning to have other massages, but dropped the idea after our first experience. Note that the location "Hidden Away" was awesome: right on the water.

Driving back to the airport: the driver (Vincent) who took us back drove like a maniac. He made the trip in about 1h20minutes (the average time is 1h45).

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Regis B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me begin this review by stating this is my 5th trip to this resort. There is a reason I returned 4 times. At the same time I know what this resort is capable of, so I hold it to its own standards it has set over the years.

Reception:
Our flight was on time to Montego Bay and we were greeted nicely at the Couples Lounge with cold water and a few Red Stripes. We only waited about 10 minutes until our shuttle van was ready. Our driver was great and got us quickly and safely to Sans Souci in 1 hour 40 minutes. Upon arrival we were met with the fantastic bellhop crew led by the always friendly/helpful Evol (a friend from years past) who greeted be with a hug to welcome me "home." Front desk staff was great but stated our room wasn't quite ready yet. Evol escorted us to the Palazzina to eat and our room was ready right after lunch.
Rooms:
We stayed in E-Block (E8), by request. This block is near the upper part of the resort and right next to the new martini bar and the balloon bar. Our room was large and clean but dated. I chose to stay in this block because most of the rooms have 2 bathrooms which is a nice feature. This block is not good for you if you are in bed early because the band plays at the balloon bar until about 11pm. After that the piano player (Trevor) plays a "sing a long" for at least another hour. This didn't bother us because most of the time we were at the balloon bar until close anyway. It is a decent walk down steps to the beach area from E-block but again this didn't bother us much as we knew the location prior to booking.

Restaurants:
Restaurants overall were decent as usual. The one aspect which we had an issue with was the service. One night for dinner at Palazzina we had a server who did not meet our expectations. He was not very personable, mumbled when talked to us, and did not mention any specials for the evening. My lady was very much looking forward to enjoying lobster on our vacation. After we ordered from the menu and received our meals, we looked around and noticed everyone had lobster. We were very upset and disappointed about missing our opportunity for lobster. This same server seemed to disappear for long periods of time. We did wait a long time for our meals as well but this isn't that big of an issue since we ARE on vacation. The Beach Grill for lunch had decent food as usual. However, on one occasion the server didn't listen to us when we ordered and brought us only part of what we ordered. The next day a different server failed to ask if we needed anything to drink so I made a couple trips back and forth to the bar for drinks during our meal. The beach party (Tuesday) was good, as was the gala (Friday). We aren't necessarily anti-social but we are at a Couples resort and don't really like being forced to sit at these functions with other couples. Tables for 2 should be an option. The new vegetarian type snack stand at the Mineral Pool was okay but I wish they carried alcohol. It was always empty. The menu really wasn't appealing for us. Bella Vista one night was very good. Our server Natalia took very good care of us. We ate at the Casanova on our last night and it was fantastic. Our server Nicola was amazing. Nicola was the best server we had all week. You can tell she was experienced and really knew her job.

Room Service:
Every morning before breakfast we ordered coffee/OJ and small danish as an appetizer to eat on our balcony. All week this was delivered at the time requested by very nice gentlemen. The mini-bar requests were filled by request and we were very satisfied.

Housekeeping:
Housekeeping did a very good job with our room. Our only complaint would be that they didn't clean our room until 5pm on most days. This inconvenienced us only a little since we were getting showers around this time to prepare for dinner. And only 2 hours later they were back for "turn-down" service. The housekeeping ladies were very nice and always had a smile and a nice "hello."

Bars:
The martini bar was a nice addition since my last visit. I'm not a big martini fan but I gave it a try. It is open from 5-9pm every evening except for Tuesday and Friday. I enjoyed the martinis we tried. We went back again. The bartender and server at this bar were outstanding. They were both females and sorry we forgot their names. The balloon bar was as expected. Good crowd during showtime. Bartender Qwayne was clearly our favorite during our stay. Always an animated "hello", fast/good drinks, and kept us entertained. Noxroy was also a good bartender and really is a great person. We had long chats with him. All the bars had exceptional bartenders. Very quick service at all bars, great drinks, and smiles. I can not think of one minor complaint about the bartenders.

Beach/Pools:
Main pool was always very crowded with no chairs available so we never utilized it. Main beach was great. They continued to clean the beach from seaweed a few times per day. We enjoyed the Mineral Pool every day. It was newly upgraded with new tiles and a new surface on the pool. It looked great. We did not use the Au Natural beach except at sunset and it was nice.

We did not use the beach sports/activities much. We only used the paddle-boat once. The employees there were very nice. We also didn't use the spa/salon on this trip so we can't comment on that. As a whole this resort delivered as usual. A few issues with the servers were memorable but didn't ruin our vacation.

6 Thank Rgaffney12
Monroe, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just returned from our first stay at Sans Souci, and cannot wait to get back there. We had heard great reviews about the resort from our travel agent, so we were ready to have a wonderful vacation full of all the exciting excursions that are available as part of the all-inclusive price we paid! We were met with glasses of champagne and cool towels to refresh ourselves and then taken immediately to our suite. The room was spacious and very clean, and the view was amazing! There was so much to do, such as water sports, tennis, aerobics, trips to Dunns River Falls and Margaritaville, hat-making, cooking, and dancing classes, wine and cheese tastings, not to mention all the nightly entertainment. The list was endless with many different events. The first full day there, we went to the beautiful beach....and ended up napping for a couple of hours. Because the resort has only about 150 rooms and is adults-only, there is a peacefulness, even on the beach, that allows the waves to lull you into relaxation. There is also a great beach bar and grill in the center of the beach that serves delicious food and yummy drinks, while not interfering with the serenity that can be found on the same beach! The food available in the restaurants and from room-service was excellent. I enjoyed a hot-stone massage and a milk and honey wrap and would highly recommend trying the spa services and specifically having Kerry as your spa therapist. Speaking of the staff, they were wonderful! Always so happy and accommodating. I especially loved being called "my lady" and "princess!" The only drawback was not having wifi in our suite, otherwise, we had a heavenly, relaxing vacation in paradise and came home refreshed and ready to hit the daily grind of life. I personally cannot wait to return to Sans Souci, our home-away-from-home!

Room Tip: We had the Deluxe One-Bedroom Ocean Suite. We overlooked the ocean, mineral pool, were near the lobb...
1 Thank Connie H
Oriental, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Sans Souci nine years ago - and loved it, even when a beach party had to be moved indoors because of a passing hurricane. We have stayed in many fine resorts along the north coast of Jamaica, from Braco all the way to Negril but we remembered Sans Souci fondly and decided to return to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary.

The resort sits on a rocky promontory which includes the offices, bars, a restaurant, pool, residential block and computer/game room. Descending, the tropical vegetation gives onto a beautiful cove and generous sheltered beach, isolated from the outer world by limestone headlands. There is a large grassy area, a beach restaurant, main restaurant, more residential units, a large pool and a water sports center. The atmosphere is more that of a private club than a major resort. There is a separate, private, au natural beach and another unique spa area witha fitness center, mineral pool, beautiful grottos and a gazebo perched on a rocky headland, fitted with massage tables.

Our room was clean, comfortable and well-maintained. We had a weak shower which we mentioned at dinner one evening. When we got back to the room it was working perfectly. The positive, friendly attitude of the entire staff was evident and the atmosphere was conducive to meeting new friends. There was a young, newlywed couple, another young pair from Holland and an older couple back for their 21st time. They all loved the place. We found several staff members, including the general manager, whom we had met nine years earlier - they too remembered the hurricane.

Sans Souci is a bit farther from Montego Bay than is Negril and you have be able to climb a fair number of steps but it's well worth the difference - we found our paradise to be even better than we remembered and will certainly return.

Room Tip: A and B blocks are beachfront, all being renovated summer of 2014. Penthouses worth the upgrade. A...
3 Thank Tom and Marilyn N
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just came back from our amazing vacation at Sans Souci. Wow where to start. Beautiful property. Beautiful landscape. Great food. Amazing people. Couples Sans Souci delivers. Resort is very quiet and secluded and that's what we were looking for. Staff is amazing. Earon, Masell, Marsha, Simone, Maureen, Janelle, Akim, Clive Johnson, water sports team you are all amazing people. I am missing few names here. Amazing hair stylist team. You guys are great. We love you all and can't wait to come back. If you are looking for unbelievable property look no more. The only thing we didn't like is leaving this beautiful place. I know everyone is mentioning rooms and how they are little dated. We stayed at Prime Minister Suite and loved it. I can't speak for other rooms but suite we had was lovely. If you are looking for Ritz type of the rooms then this might not be for you. If you are looking for original charm Jamaica something that's more authentic you will love this place. I did hear that resort is working on updating some rooms. We personally spent the least amount of time in our suite. We were out all day. All you want to do is hang out on the beach and a beach bar. You can't beat that view. Thank you Sans Souci. One love... Until next time..... Sabina & Igor

Room Tip: Stay at a Prime Minister Suite. You will love huge terrace and privacy. View is amazing...
      Sleep Quality
Couples Swept Away
#15 of 84 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,035 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!