“Nice hotel”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had a nice stay in this hotel but felt the facilities and choice of food was not quite as good as other hotels in the Couples portfolio. That said the rooms were clean and well appointed the food was good without being exceptional and there is a good range of branded drinks unlike some All inclusive hotels.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David H

Reviewed 26 July 2014

First, let me state that in the end, my wife and I had a very good time and yes, we would go back. However, this is a difficult review to write because there are some issues. Here are what I see as the good and the bad:
GOOD:
* Overall it is a great value if you like good food and drink and can take advantage of the scuba.
* The food service in Casanova's and Palazzina's is just outstanding. The staff is great, the ingredients were first-rate, and the cooking was fantastic. Every meal in these two restaurants was just great.
* Scuba program is very good and the watersports were also great, particularly Nicholas and Leon. Wife was thrilled with the snorkeling and it was well above average. Also the boats are pretty well maintained.
* Volleyball at Sunset Beach pool was fun -- even though it's not really made for it and darn it, why was the pool 95 degrees???
* Dunn's River Falls tour was fun and an extra value for the resort.
* Our room was "old" but very clean and comfortable, and the two (2) air-conditioners worked well. We had plenty of hot water and the Wi-Fi (mostly) worked well. I wouldn't trust the Wi-Fi for doing critical work assignments as it freezes sometimes.
* The setting of the resort is very beautiful, subject to the maintenance issue noted below.
BAD:
* Sunset Beach is badly understaffed and rather poorly maintained. Sunset Beach itself is really just about worthless as a beach; you have a river running across it, you have dozens of Jamaican children about 300' away who sometimes wander closer (uncomfortable for au naturale), the fishermen use the river and sometimes give atttude, and there's no place you can swim. You can wear water shoes and go out 300' but where is the fun in that?
* The grounds were generally beautiful but simply not "as" beautiful as those I've seen at other resorts. The buildings are well maintained but the trees and bushes are overgrown to the point that the staff cannot keep up with their droppings. I think they try hard but just can't keep up. Not a big deal until you slip and fall on an almond and then tumble 20 steps.
* Some of the stairs are dangerous (outside Palazzina's in particular) in that they may be uneven or have uneven drop-offs.
* Although many staff members are helpful, warm and friendly, particularly in the restaurants, a lot of them ... aren't. "Where's the trashcan?" got a response pointing a couple of hundred feet away instead of offering to take the trash for us. Got this kind of response a couple of times. Not a big deal but it was a little surprising.
* I had an issue with Patrick in scuba -- he was surly to everyone in general. On my third day of diving, he decided that he didn't like that I wear a Speedo to dive in and said I had to wear "beach shorts." I ignored him and life went on, but I didn't appreciate the attitude.
* Nobody maintained the minibar. They would take the order form but not fill it. One day we came back to the room and a man was coming out of it. He said he was filling the minibar but it wasn't filled and the man disappeared. It appeared he was scoping out our stuff but thankfully it was locked up.
* Entertainment was kind of uninspired. The music, singing, and dancing were all good but that's about it. There's also trivia and self-help bocce ball, but no acrobats, contortionists, magicians, karaoke, goat races, etc. that I've experienced elsewhere. I don't understand why they can't have corn toss, horseshoes, or other poolside games.

Room Tip: If you want to go to Sunset Beach (au naturale), choose Block F
7  Thank facelessdrone2005
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear facelessdrone2005,

Thank you for staying with us at Couples Sans Souci. We really appreciate your feedback. It was great to hear you enjoyed our gourmet dining options and scuba program at the resort. However, we apologize for any areas that fell short of your expectations. Everything will be addressed with management.

Couples Resorts is pleased that you had a good time overall and may return in the future. We hope to have you again.

Abraham Issa,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I feel the lobby sets the tone for a hotel when you arrive, CSS lobby was hot, small, not very impressive! Check in went smoothly, then you get to experience of all of those stairs you must maneuver to get anywhere at the resort! The property was beautiful and the rooms were pretty decent and air-conditioning was great! Food was good, but choices of restaurants was very limited. The worse part was on Friday, all restaurants were closed for their "gala" which was a joke! Cattle herding was all I could think of! They set up a bunch of food stations in tents, with extension cords and tent spikes everywhere (dangerous) hated every minute of it, crowded, hot, stuck dining with people that might be annoying. It was horrible! Room service menu was also limited, but OK. "free" excursions on and off the resort, which were good. Spa is good, but nothing elaborate. Everyone agreed liquor was watered down, and not many choices. Never had a problem finding chairs at beach or pool. Sunset Beach (nude) not our thing, but you could go over with clothes after 5:30 and at night.
I knew when I booked it was an hour and forty five minutes drive to resort, long but you got to see some beautiful scenery. Mobay Club is a must! Best money we ever spent!
We have traveled the Caribbean twice a year for over 30 years now. Jamaica is beautiful, water is clear, beaches are prettier than some of Mexico's. and we will go back. Will try another area and hotel. I was under the impression that this was a 5 star hotel, (always do 4 or 5 star) and it most certainly was not. The staff was friendly, entertaining, and wonderful.

Room Tip: Can't comment on rooms. But I would not stay at the top level of this hotel, talked to a couple...
3  Thank Terry T

Dear Terry T,

Thank you for staying at Couples Sans Souci and providing your feedback. Couples Resorts is glad you thought our staff were great. We enjoyed having you.

Sorry that you did not like our weekly Gala along with the colonial style of the resort. Couples Sans Souci is a historical property and very unique compared to other all-inclusive hotels. Definitely not for everyone.

Couples Resorts prefers to associate itself with guest reviews and loyalty rather than the official star-rating system. However, we do qualify as a four-star hotel based on general requirements.

It is disappointing to hear you will not choose Couples on your next vacation to Jamaica. Nevertheless, I urge you to consider one of our resorts in Negril. They are more contemporary and have larger beaches. You may like them.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our second trip to CSS. First time 2007 and in July 2014. Had a wonderful time. The food and drinks were great. They have a great martini bar on the property with 32 different martinis to choose from. We stayed on the AN side of CSS. Met a lot of great people. Staff at CSS are awesome, Vernique and Aneaka miss you ladies! Repeaters dinner was very nice too. It was held outside by the main pool. Got to tour room B12 that has been rentiviated. Very nice. We were in block A. Very nice room too. We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view. I would recommend coming to CSS for a relaxing vacation.

Irie Mon!

Phyllis

2  Thank JamaicanBabe
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed again at CSS a few weeks ago and I thought I would write about our experiences this time around. Let me state we have now been to CSS many times and always had a great time. I guess it was about time we had a few issues and let's be honest, everyone will experience problems on vacation at some time or other.

As many readers will have commented, CSS is in need of renovation and at long last much is bring done this year to make it a better place to be (If that can be achieved - it is heaven anyway).

In 2014, we have seen plans to revitalise the rooms (some examples are already available to view), Bella Vista has been completely revitalised, the Au-Natural area has been completed, and work goes on. While we were there a few weeks ago, we lost the Mineral pool area which caused much disruption (its now finished) and much retiling of common areas is taking place including the restaurant. in addition a new Martini Bar has been built. We also observed a new shop and water sports area was under construction. The overall changes must be costing a fortune and will benefit all in months and years to come, but sadly, we had to endure not our best vacation. Now the good news, having complained and spoken to a senior manager (thank you Nicholas) we have had our issues resolved. We were moved to a fantastic suite, served extra champagne and fruit, and awarded support for our next vacation. Now not all hotels and chains would have done this and I am sure many viewers would just go home and written negative comments about their stay, but you know don't the company deserve the opportunity to put things right - yes they do, so congratulations CSS and well done, despite our problems, we cant wait to return on 2015, and for all your work and excellent and over and above efforts to put things right THANK YOU all! Special thanks to Nicola - front office manager, Estria a real asset and lovely person and Michelle what can I say you are the epitomy of Sans Souci.

Room Tip: Always go for the best suites if you can afford them, they are worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank barrymcnamara
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. Overall, I'd say we had a fantastic time! We stayed in B block, on the second floor. We requested, what we thought, was one of the beachfront suites on the first floor. Unfortunately, they had to give our room away to someone for medical reasons...no big deal...but, let me tell you, there are no rooms that open directly onto the beach like they advertise. You have to walk across the lawn to get there, but we really didn't care.
The rooms could use some updating, but nothing is so old that it is nonfunctional. I will say that housekeeping did take a long time before they got to our room. We really didn't mind, and the girl was absolutely fantastic (Donnette, I believe?), but it would've been nice to be able to relax after a long day.
They had a lot of activities for people who like to party. My husband and I are not big partiers, so we kind of hung around the beach and stuff. They have a fantastic collection of drinks and will make you anything you want upon request. The bartenders really make the experience awesome!! I highly suggest hitting up Charlie's Veggie Bar! They have amazing smoothies and a to die for Greek plate!
The food was good, and we sampled all of the restaurants. I wish that there were more options, as I tend to be pickier than most. I loved that there was a buffet for breakfast and lunch, but I wish there had been more restaurants. They kind of serve the same things each night, and they seem to switch the menus between the 3 restaurants. I'd recommend the Palazzina over the rest! My husband would say that the best thing to get is the room service chicken wings!!
The only other thing I wished was that there had been more activities, other than the water ones. I get very seasick, even with Dramamine, so I couldn't do any of these things (snorkeling, scuba, glass bottom boat tours, etc), and, believe me, I tried. For those who can handle be water, the activities are great!!
Overall, I would recommend this resort. Even though we don't drink/party, we still had fun! Everyone was so polite and accommodating!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Shawnamarie13
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently got back from our trip to Jamaica. We stayed at the Couples San Souci in Ocho Rios. I can truly say that we have found our resort for life.
Everything was outstanding. From the greeting as you arrive to checking out. The people who work at San Souci are amazing. They go above and beyond their duties. This to me is what makes Couples San Souci our resort. The food was outstanding and the accommodations were perfect! We are looking forward to next year and are planning on staying longer and also bringing others to enjoy this gem on Jamaica.

Stayed: July 2014
#8 of 80 in Negril
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!