“Lovely friendly Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I won't repeat what most people have about the rooms being dated because they are but they are very clean and comfortable. We booked with Thomson and our room f3 did not come with a balcony after 3 days we asked if we could upgrade and we so pleased we did. We came for 11 nights the upgrade was reasonable cheaper to do direct than with our tour operator. Our new room was fantastic 1 bedroom suite with views over looking the small pool and the ballon bar. Loved the double lounger on the balcony had breakfast and 1 evening meal with
Room service on the balcony at no extra cost.

Food fab and I am a really fussy ester. Drinks all cocktails brilliant.

Loved the lake and feeding the turtles, birds and fish everyday with bread taken the buffer was my highlight of the holiday.

The best thing about this hotel are the staff THEY ARE THE BEST EVER and we are well trsvelled. Every single staff menber needs a mention they work so hard and really see interested in the holiday makers having a good time.

Have a massage with the waves below you very relaxing.

Do go out and see the beautiful countryside. I would recommend going to Port Antonia and going on the bamboo raft booked with a Thomson s a trip I will never ever forget, beautiful.

We enjoyed all the evening entertainment local bands and Alex the entertainment staff member singing.

I could write a book on the whole experience we loved it so much, if you can please upgrade it is so worth but for us uk holiday makers it is very expensive because we have the long flight. Two people that were great company were Masall aka Ziggy beach bar and Dwight life guard who went the extra mile making our holiday special.

We are hoping to visit Couples Negril next year they will have a lot to live up too. Thanks Sans sousi we loved evey minute.

Room Tip: Choose the best room you can afford
9 Thank KENTCOUPLEMITCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I did a ton of research on TA before finally deciding on Couples San Souci as our honeymoon destination and like most people we met, we really enjoyed our stay there. We stayed for a total of 9 nights from 5/26 to 6/4 and loved every moment of our experience. I’ll also cover our experience at Dunn’s River Falls and the Dolphin Cove since they are 2 very popular nearby attractions that you’d probably consider when you’re at Ocho Rios.

We stayed in the G block (G-14) to be exact and had amazing views from our balcony. Yes, it was a bit further from the main beach and yes there were more stairs than if you stayed in A or B block but the panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea each morning made it worthwhile. Sure, the room could use a bit of updating, and yes, there were cracked tiles in our bathroom but overall the room was clean and spacious and of course, the view was amazing (for not paying a penthouse price). We found the resort to be intimate but not over crowded. We also spent a day at Couples Tower Isle (it was available on M, W, and F), while the beach is definitely larger and the hotel seem much more chic (very South Beach feel), my wife and I both agreed San Souci was a better choice for us. It just felt more romantic and not “hotely”. Also, there were only small canopies or trees to shield you from the blazing sun, for those with fair skin or just don’t enjoy being baked by the hot Jamaican sun for hours, you had nowhere to escape. Whereas at San Souci, there were huts you could get under, which is where we spent most of our time on the beach.
The staff were generally friendly, but some were more willing to help than others, but overall there were no issues there. The food was pretty good (my family has a restaurant back home so I am a bit of a foodie), the portions were fairly generous and the quality was above average. We never left a meal feeling hungry. Since we were on our honeymoon, we purchased a forever yours package ($289) which included a private dinner, $50 credit at the store, and $100 credit at the spa. We really enjoyed our private dinner which was held at the spa gazebo, our waiter was very attentive and it was our most romantic meal there (as to be expected).

We ordered breakfast for room service a few days and it was great for those days that you just didn’t feel like getting out of bed, it was just as good as if you were to go to the Palazzina. For lunch we liked the beach grill, which I opted to get the Jerk Chicken every single day, and it did not disappoint and there is a daily soup, which were always great. We thought dinners at Casanova were over-rated. It’s the more formal restaurant where you need to be in pants and closed toe shoes for men, but we actually found both the food and service were better at Palazzina.

The spa experience was also great, we had a couples massage which we decided to use our credit and upgraded our free 25 min massage for honeymooners for a 50 min session. The huts all have amazing views of the water, but once you’re getting the massage, your face is down on the table the whole time, so it really didn’t matter which hut you were in, but it was nice to hear the water.

A few other random things to mention. Wifi was generally good throughout the resort, except when you’re actually on the beach, but who needs wifi when you have the beautiful view of the Caribbean sea in front of you. The gym was not too bad either, several treadmills and machines as well as free weights to get your work out on if you’re dedicated to your routine. The mineral pool was great around sunset but my bathing suit was covered in a white dry mineral dust after it dried, I guess it must be the mineral sediments in the water, so be forewarned that will happen. The juice bar is excellent near the mineral pool where you can get fresh fruit smoothies for healthy alternative. There is also a Martini bar near the Casanova that has a great selection of top shelf martinis to kick off your night (it closes by 9 PM).

We didn’t do a ton of excursions but did manage to go to the Dunn’s Water Fall and the Dolphin Cove. Both were only about 10 mins from the resort. The Water fall was a great experience, I was originally concerned as I am not a strong swimmer that the water would be deep, but most of the climb the water was up to your waist. There are a few spots that you slide down into a water hole that you’re actually submerged for a few seconds, but hold your breath and you’ll get right up. You should definitely invest in a good pair of water shoes, you can’t do it in sandals or flip-flops. We heard horror stories of going through a gauntlet of shops on your way out of the park, but we weren’t really bothered by any aggressive vendors.

The dolphin cove was something that my wife had really wanted to experience, we paid ~$300 for the “ultimate experience” for her to swim with 2 dolphins. She really enjoyed the time with them, but if you actually breakdown the amount of time you spend with the dolphins, it was probably less than 5 mins of actual interaction time with them. The rest of the time you watched other people in the water with them, you pet them and they take you on a ride, where you hold on to their fins and they push the bottom of your feet while you “glide” on the water. There are also other attractions at the dolphin cove such as a wild bird sanctuary and swimming with sharks and sting rays. The bird sanctuary was fun as they would fly on to your shoulders and you can feed them out of your palm, we didn’t do the swimming with sharks or sting rays. All were part of the admission to the dolphin cove.

Overall we had a wonderful experience at Couples San Souci and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Pick G or F Block for better views but they are both slightly further from the beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank yeh642
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went for one week and there are no negatives about this place. We have been to other places and this one is hands down wonderful. Even at full capacity, it is so large compared to the number of people it holds, it always seems 1/2 empty. 2/3 of the deck chairs are always available. The water equipment paddle boats etc. are in good condition and their are enough of them that what we wanted was always available. Never waited in line for anything. They have so many pools that none ware crowded although the AN/SSB pool is a meeting place of sorts.The food was top notch. We divided dinners between the formal wear, casual wear and seaside grill. They are all excellent. The formal was as good as any high end formal restaurant here at home.

The staff is large, very helpful and so happy it rubs off on the guests. In particular, Jodi deserves a raise. The evening entertainment was actually good (as opposed to lame at other all inclusives we have been to). The evening gathering at the piano bar was a lot of fun. We also did the champagne/cheese/fruit sunset cruise on their power boat. It was both fun and romantic, well worth the money.

For the Au-Natural crowd, they have really nice facilities and I recommend it over the island at Couples Tower Island. Don't get me wrong, the island is nice but these facilities are available 24-7. The pool is large with swim up bar, lots of chairs so some ware available when ever we went. New hot tub (nice for that 1AM sneak off together moment) and a grill that also had some buffet as well at lunch. There was always 25-60 people there. As it is a resort for adult couples only, the atmosphere is different from any other Au-Natural place we have been to and in a good way. This is not Hedo so don't feel intimidated. Friendly people from their 20's to 60's.

We also went off the reservation for Duns River Falls, zip lining and shopping. Lots of fun stuff in the area.

Room Tip: Buildings A to C are facing the beach on the main lawn. Great view but the patio's don't hav...
8 Thank Fred B
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had a nice stay in this hotel but felt the facilities and choice of food was not quite as good as other hotels in the Couples portfolio. That said the rooms were clean and well appointed the food was good without being exceptional and there is a good range of branded drinks unlike some All inclusive hotels.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

First, let me state that in the end, my wife and I had a very good time and yes, we would go back. However, this is a difficult review to write because there are some issues. Here are what I see as the good and the bad:
GOOD:
* Overall it is a great value if you like good food and drink and can take advantage of the scuba.
* The food service in Casanova's and Palazzina's is just outstanding. The staff is great, the ingredients were first-rate, and the cooking was fantastic. Every meal in these two restaurants was just great.
* Scuba program is very good and the watersports were also great, particularly Nicholas and Leon. Wife was thrilled with the snorkeling and it was well above average. Also the boats are pretty well maintained.
* Volleyball at Sunset Beach pool was fun -- even though it's not really made for it and darn it, why was the pool 95 degrees???
* Dunn's River Falls tour was fun and an extra value for the resort.
* Our room was "old" but very clean and comfortable, and the two (2) air-conditioners worked well. We had plenty of hot water and the Wi-Fi (mostly) worked well. I wouldn't trust the Wi-Fi for doing critical work assignments as it freezes sometimes.
* The setting of the resort is very beautiful, subject to the maintenance issue noted below.
BAD:
* Sunset Beach is badly understaffed and rather poorly maintained. Sunset Beach itself is really just about worthless as a beach; you have a river running across it, you have dozens of Jamaican children about 300' away who sometimes wander closer (uncomfortable for au naturale), the fishermen use the river and sometimes give atttude, and there's no place you can swim. You can wear water shoes and go out 300' but where is the fun in that?
* The grounds were generally beautiful but simply not "as" beautiful as those I've seen at other resorts. The buildings are well maintained but the trees and bushes are overgrown to the point that the staff cannot keep up with their droppings. I think they try hard but just can't keep up. Not a big deal until you slip and fall on an almond and then tumble 20 steps.
* Some of the stairs are dangerous (outside Palazzina's in particular) in that they may be uneven or have uneven drop-offs.
* Although many staff members are helpful, warm and friendly, particularly in the restaurants, a lot of them ... aren't. "Where's the trashcan?" got a response pointing a couple of hundred feet away instead of offering to take the trash for us. Got this kind of response a couple of times. Not a big deal but it was a little surprising.
* I had an issue with Patrick in scuba -- he was surly to everyone in general. On my third day of diving, he decided that he didn't like that I wear a Speedo to dive in and said I had to wear "beach shorts." I ignored him and life went on, but I didn't appreciate the attitude.
* Nobody maintained the minibar. They would take the order form but not fill it. One day we came back to the room and a man was coming out of it. He said he was filling the minibar but it wasn't filled and the man disappeared. It appeared he was scoping out our stuff but thankfully it was locked up.
* Entertainment was kind of uninspired. The music, singing, and dancing were all good but that's about it. There's also trivia and self-help bocce ball, but no acrobats, contortionists, magicians, karaoke, goat races, etc. that I've experienced elsewhere. I don't understand why they can't have corn toss, horseshoes, or other poolside games.

Room Tip: If you want to go to Sunset Beach (au naturale), choose Block F
7 Thank facelessdrone2005
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear facelessdrone2005,

Thank you for staying with us at Couples Sans Souci. We really appreciate your feedback. It was great to hear you enjoyed our gourmet dining options and scuba program at the resort. However, we apologize for any areas that fell short of your expectations. Everything will be addressed with management.

Couples Resorts is pleased that you had a good time overall and may return in the future. We hope to have you again.

Abraham Issa,
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I feel the lobby sets the tone for a hotel when you arrive, CSS lobby was hot, small, not very impressive! Check in went smoothly, then you get to experience of all of those stairs you must maneuver to get anywhere at the resort! The property was beautiful and the rooms were pretty decent and air-conditioning was great! Food was good, but choices of restaurants was very limited. The worse part was on Friday, all restaurants were closed for their "gala" which was a joke! Cattle herding was all I could think of! They set up a bunch of food stations in tents, with extension cords and tent spikes everywhere (dangerous) hated every minute of it, crowded, hot, stuck dining with people that might be annoying. It was horrible! Room service menu was also limited, but OK. "free" excursions on and off the resort, which were good. Spa is good, but nothing elaborate. Everyone agreed liquor was watered down, and not many choices. Never had a problem finding chairs at beach or pool. Sunset Beach (nude) not our thing, but you could go over with clothes after 5:30 and at night.
I knew when I booked it was an hour and forty five minutes drive to resort, long but you got to see some beautiful scenery. Mobay Club is a must! Best money we ever spent!
We have traveled the Caribbean twice a year for over 30 years now. Jamaica is beautiful, water is clear, beaches are prettier than some of Mexico's. and we will go back. Will try another area and hotel. I was under the impression that this was a 5 star hotel, (always do 4 or 5 star) and it most certainly was not. The staff was friendly, entertaining, and wonderful.

Room Tip: Can't comment on rooms. But I would not stay at the top level of this hotel, talked to a couple...
3 Thank Terry T
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Terry T,

Thank you for staying at Couples Sans Souci and providing your feedback. Couples Resorts is glad you thought our staff were great. We enjoyed having you.

Sorry that you did not like our weekly Gala along with the colonial style of the resort. Couples Sans Souci is a historical property and very unique compared to other all-inclusive hotels. Definitely not for everyone.

Couples Resorts prefers to associate itself with guest reviews and loyalty rather than the official star-rating system. However, we do qualify as a four-star hotel based on general requirements.

It is disappointing to hear you will not choose Couples on your next vacation to Jamaica. Nevertheless, I urge you to consider one of our resorts in Negril. They are more contemporary and have larger beaches. You may like them.

Regards,
Abraham Issa
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our second trip to CSS. First time 2007 and in July 2014. Had a wonderful time. The food and drinks were great. They have a great martini bar on the property with 32 different martinis to choose from. We stayed on the AN side of CSS. Met a lot of great people. Staff at CSS are awesome, Vernique and Aneaka miss you ladies! Repeaters dinner was very nice too. It was held outside by the main pool. Got to tour room B12 that has been rentiviated. Very nice. We were in block A. Very nice room too. We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view. I would recommend coming to CSS for a relaxing vacation.

Irie Mon!

Couples Swept Away
#15 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,125 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!