“Sans Souci is awesome!!!!”
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Couples Sans Souci
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Florida, United States
“Sans Souci is awesome!!!!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View in June and also had our wedding there. The rooms were clean, spacious and nicer than expected. The customer service at this resort is top notch!! Really, the best I have experienced. The food was fantastic and for an all inclusive resort this was impressive. You cannot be bored here, there are plenty of activities (most of which are included) snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride, yoga, hat making, fun dance classes, great parties/entertainment most nights with dinner! Trip to a waterfall was included and fun. It is a great, romantic place to stay and the grounds are well kept, there is plenty of beaches, pools, a really nice mineral grotto. Spa is nice. The wedding we had was private but done very well and made us feel special and right at home. I cannot say enough great things. Every employee was professional, nice, fun and made the place feel like you belonged there! From the office staff, housekeeping staff, maintenance, restaurant, really everyone was great and we will definitely visit again!!

• Stayed June 2014
13 Thank Holly K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a wonderful hotel,it was our first holiday with couples and in jamica,from the minute we arrived at montego bay airport it was perfect,food was first class and staff were lovely very friendly they couldn't do enough for you.....customs took a while at the airport,but everything went smoothly would love to go again to jamica....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 2013ally
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

CSS is a bit remote from the Montego Bay Airport (2 hour shuttle ride) but it is great adult coiples- only all-inclusive resort, with lots of activity options/venues, beautiful grounds, great food and drink, and a very friendly and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: "A" block ocean-view rooms are my preference - larger, more modern.
3 Thank Chastravs
Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I went to Couples Sans Souci to celebrate our anniversary. Given the reviews on the property - and a previous stay years ago at another Couples resort - we thought we would experience an incredible vacation. Unfortunately, CSS came up short. Before providing the pros and cons, I should say that my wife and I are not high maintenance in the least. There are basic things we want in any resort, however.

Pros
The resort is beautifully landscaped. The setting is fairly unique, given the beach cove and the cliffs upon which part of the resort sets. The comments on many other reviews mention the number of stairs on the property, and I can only add that is so true. Rooms are comfortable - including the living room, bedroom and balcony. While some reviews have mentioned that the rooms are dated - which is somewhat true - it in no way impacted the experience. The staff at the Guest Relations desk - shout out to Alisia and Kishawn - were always friendly and attentive. Service in the Casanova restaurant was exceptional. The bar service - regardless of which bar - was always fun and engaging. Come back the next day and they'll remember what you were drinking the day before - even if you don't. The staff at the water sports area was awesome. We did a sunset cruise and Christopher and Kemar (our captain and guide) were both incredible. Kevin, our bellman, was incredibly courteous and friendly.

Cons
The check-in process is probably the worst we have ever experienced at any level of resort or hotel. The person who checked us in - Hakim - seemed indifferent that we were there. He actually checked us in side-by-side with another couple, instead of serving them fully then giving us his attention. He rushed through the check-in process, did not confirm our type of room, and when we had questions - as any new guest might - he simply said there would be an orientation the next day that will answer our questions. He gave us our keys then pointed us toward our room. No one guided us to the room, as one might expect for this level of resort. My wife and I went to our room only to discover it was not the room we booked. We had booked the Prime Minister Penthouse Suite (2nd best room on the property), but were given keys to an Oceanview room (don't recall name exactly) which was several classes below what we had paid for. Okay, they made a mistake, and I was confident they would fix it, so "No Problem Mon" as they say in Jamaica. I went back to the front desk and advised Hakim that we had been given the wrong room. He then asked me if I had any paperwork to prove that I had booked a different class of room. Instead of researching it first or apologizing for the error, he treated me as if I was trying to pull something over on him. Fortunately, I travel prepared and did in fact have the confirmation showing the room I had booked. Again, no apology, but rather a "just a minute" as he picked up the phone. I asked him if they had my correct room, and again he said "just a minute", adding a little "tone" for emphasis. Sitting there waiting, I again asked whether my room was available. Again, he simply responded "just a minute", this time showing his complete irritation with me. At no point did he say he was checking on my room or apologize for the delay. I had no idea what was going on and it was only after the last "just a minute" with the attitude did I become frustrated and sought out a manager. I explained to the manager on duty what had transpired and she apologized and began looking into the situation. The manager returned and said they were going to make us very happy. I found out a little later that this meant upgrading us from the suite we booked to their finest accommodation - the Hibiscus Cottage. We were asked to wait a little while for them to prepare it. After about 30 minutes, we were told that they could not get us into the cottage without waiting a while longer, but they could put us in the room we booked for the night and move us the next morning. After a long day of travel, we felt that was fair and agreed. When we arrived at our correct room, the door was open and several maintenance workers were in the room. One of the air conditioners was apparently not working and they were trying to fix it. They agreed to come back later, but it was getting late and we needed to grab dinner, so we said we would just drop our bags and allow them to finish working on it. When we returned from dinner - now several hours after arriving at the resort and wanting to settle in - the air conditioner was still not working. Knowing that we could move to another room the next morning, we decided to just deal with it and grab a shower or bath and call it a night. When my wife turned on the water for the bath, it leaked very badly and she had to turn it off or water would have run all over the floor. She then tried the shower and it worked fine until she tried to shut it off. It would not shut off, we messed with it for about 10 minutes and finally found a "sweet spot" on the handle to keep it from running. The next morning, as we were on the beach, I had an odd feeling that after all that happened, I should probably check in with management to ensure that our upgrade would be ready by noon as promised. I am very glad I checked in. I was advised by another member of management that they would not be offering us the upgrade after all, since the room would be occupied within a few days of our stay by another guest. I could have pushed back on them honoring their commitment, but I did not feel right putting out another guest. Instead, I told them they needed to get the room I booked working properly. The manager rounded up her best maintenance crew and we all met in the room to review the issues. They did resolve the issues (AC, bath, and shower) and everything was working properly within a few hours. The manager also offered us a certificate for a couples massage for the poor reception and room issues we had encountered. We appreciated them making it right, but it does seem appropriate to make sure plumbing and AC are working properly when the guest arrives. One other item to note about the room is that it is advertised as having an ocean view, which is true if you bend over the balcony and look between the trees.

Moving on to the service in the Bella Vista and Palazina restaurants, the attention of the waitstaff was very inconsistent. At times, the service was impeccable. At other times, we had to track people down just to get a cup of coffee with breakfast or a drink with lunch. On a number of occasions, I had to ask at least 3 times for coffee or sweetener. Empty cups sat empty for quite some time on many occasions. At the Beach Grill, we ordered a burger and fries several times and the burger would always show up with no fries. We had to order them again and then sometimes we got 2 orders, others times they brought one order. By the time we left, the service in the restaurants had become maddening, as it was a complete crap shoot as to what service you would get. In all the restaurants - except for Palazina, which is buffet style - portions are small. While room service is offered in case you get hungry a bit later, the menu is extremely limited and food quality is average at best. The au naturel beach is not very private. The White River runs through the small beach and there are a lot of locals (including kids) on a beach maybe 20-30 yards away on the other side.

All in all, we did not let the negatives ruin our trip. We were committed to enjoying ourselves and those who did provide exceptional service helped us accomplish that. We are unsure whether we would return again, but if we do, it will be because of the employees we pointed out who provided exceptional service for us. We would hope that service is better in other areas if there is a next time.

Room Tip: Prime Minister's Penthouse Suite (only 1) is on the end of building D and is very spacious. View...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank FlyBuyKnight
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear rande4travel,

Congratulations on your anniversary! Thank you for celebrating it at Couples Sans Souci and providing your feedback. We apologize for your experience at the front desk during check-in. The staff member you referenced has been spoken to.

In regards to service overall, management is revisiting the areas you mentioned. However, it was reassuring to learn some of our employees made your stay enjoyable.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again. Feel free to email me at abe@couples.com for further inquiries.

Abraham Issa
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our first real vacation in 10 years, for our 10 year anniversary. The quaintness and small amount of rooms along with than neither of us had been to Jamaica is why we chose here.

Customs took a while upon arrival as multiple flights came in. Montego Bay lounge for an extra fee can speed things up and bypass the lines. Once pass customs, Couples have a lounge that is comfortable and gets you started for the day. The staff here are very friendly and helpful. The drivers to the resort are great and will point out local scenery, events and facts.

Once at the resort the front staff are good at getting you settled and inform you about things to make your stay more enjoyable. The trip staff were really helpful and even got the Dolphin Cove cheaper even though were willing to pay full price.

We had gotten the 1 bedroom beachfront suite which had Jacuzzi tub, separate shower along with separate sitting area with TV. The room was 15 seconds to the main pool and swim-up bar and 30 seconds into the ocean. The ground floor room was great as we didn't need to carry our key around and were able to come and go quickly. It always nice to use your own bathroom.

All the restaurants were great with great service except one time where we never received drinks or order taken 20 min after being seated. Went to the Bella Vista and were seated and served immediately after hearing of our issues. The buffet was as expected with some variety each day. The lunch buffet and Beach grill was great with even better on the AN side. Each restaurant for dinner had a nice selection when it came to the main course and at the Bella Vista if you wanted more they would get it for you.

Most bars were pretty good but some bartenders were faster and made their own specialties which were quite enjoyable. The waitresses on the AN beach were a nice touch for those who didn't want to leave their chairs.

And finally the beaches and pools. The main pool was nice with some activities going on daily. It wasn't overly crowded and the people were more subdued. If you are looking to be the social type, the AN beach is where you want to spend your time. Most of the guest when we were there either ventured over occasionally or were fixtures. The people were less judgmental and very friendly. This was the first time we had gone AN and now my wife doesn't want to go anywhere that doesn't have that option. She initially had reservations about going AN but within 10 mins of being there she was talking up a storm. Many people had also said it was their first time going AN and couldn't believe they hadn't done it sooner.

We have just booked to go back to Sans Souci again at the end of October and plan to do a day at Tower Island to compare the food and the AN section.

Room Tip: Ground floor of Beachfront suite is best as close to everything
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MJCBAC
KENT
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We visited Sans Souci end of June this was our 2nd time and we loved it as much as the 1st time. We found it was hotter this time and one of my complaints that there was not enough umbrella's around the swimming pool. I am very fair and burn easy so unfourtnately the last day I could not go to the pool as there was no spare umbrella. The staff make this place and the ladies running the martini bar was very special they made our holiday. The room we had was lovely we dont mind it being dated thats whats makes this place. We will not be returning as its a long journey and although the hotel and grounds are very beautiful we did find the stairs hard work this time. I did suggest they ran like a golf buggy up and down and if this happened you never know we could be tempted.

Room Tip: We stayed in F5 which is above the reception and had a lovely big room and loved it although the ste...
3 Thank CHEERS50
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Hello everyone, before getting into the Sans Souci review, I will give you a few details on the type of vacations we enjoy taking. Additionally, we have gone to Jamaica about 25+ times or so to the various all-inclusive resorts.

In almost every formal vacation we take, we go to au natural beaches to wine down from our busy lives. We are foodies, but on vacation, we focus more on fun in the sun than we do on our dinner plates. Therefore, food is not a make it or break it experience for us. We also tend to do nothing other than relax on the beaches, so we will have very little to say about off-property excursions. Finally, and this is a make it or break it experience, we only go to adult properties, and avoid like the plague family friendly resorts.

On to our experience at Sans Souci...

I won't go into the details as our previous review as it all holds true to date, but I will make note of our current impressions.

The rooms are just as they were before, maybe slightly more worn, but nothing was on the poor side, unkempt, or unclean. However, unlike last time, the Internet was spotty in our room.

The food was good, and now they have a wine list if you wish to pay for a more mainstream bottle. The prices were fine, and what you would expect to pay at a 3/5 start restaurant in the States.

The Au Natural Beach was great, and the renovation of the pool is finished. We were very happy that the water feature was no longer part of the pool.

The Sun Set Beach dinner was marvelous! We are glad we paid for that experience!

The bar tenders and wait staff were fantastic, and always do a great job!

Although we tend to snap our own photos while on resort, it was nice to have a photographer be on hand to get some of us together. Of course there is a fee for photos, but you can get the full high-resolution digital photo burned to CD. In fact, we probably would have passed on the photos if we couldn't have gotten the digital version.

I suppose the only complaint this trip was the Internet access from within the room and around the resort was not so great. With Millennials and the like, not for work but just in general, connectivity is just expected. I can imagine young honeymooners wanting to take selfies and put them on Facebook, Google+, Yelp, Twitter, etc, to share with the world. For us, this isn't close to a deal breaker for a return trip, but could be an issue for others when putting resorts side-by-side when choosing a destination.

One other recommendation would be for the resort to offer return trip bookings at current or reduced rates. It would seem the management team would want to seize the opportunity of this captive audience to secure future bookings? That said, it could be a courtesy to travel agents that they do not, but seems to me you could work a deal.

We had a fantastic time, and can't wait to go back! Feel free to contact us directly if you have questions.

Room Tip: *If you want to be close to the au natural beach, than room blocks A or B should fit the bill. *Hav...
2 Thank BracoBrats
Couples Swept Away
#14 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,125 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!