“Great honeymoon resort”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We decided to honeymoon at Couples Tower Isle after our destination wedding Mexico. We wanted a resort with both a good pool area and beach area, a few restaurants and nice rooms - Couples Tower Isle was recommended to us by our fabulous travel agent, Beach Bum Becky of Beach Bum Vacation (becky@beachbumvacation.com), and it delivered!

We checked in very late on a Monday night, thanks to delayed flights and missed connections from Mexico. The ride from the airport to the resort was about 1hr 45 mins, but our driver was great. We were exhausted when we arrived and just wanted to head to bed, although we were sad we missed the Beach Party, which looked like it was awesome.

We were checked in to Room 2207, which was an Ocean Junior Suite. We had a great view of the pool area and the island. We loved that we had a couch area on our balcony area. The bathroom area was huge. The only complaint about the bathroom area is that due to the open shower concept, water got everywhere in our bathroom, even when attempting to use towels to "catch" the water to keep it from spreading... and there is no vent fan.

We did an orientation the following day with Kevin (from Kingston!) of the Entertainment Staff. They offer this twice a day and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't stayed there before. They really go through the whole property and taught us a lot about activities. Had we not done the orientation, we wouldn't know about some of our favorite activities there.

We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast (loved their french toast rolls, fresh fruit, and large variety!), except for our last day. On our last day, we ordered the in-room breakfast from room service since we had to leave really early for our flight and nothing else on the resort would've been open for breakfast. This was perfect for us! We did the pool grille once for lunch, the jerk chicken was awesome, and we loved the nachos! The buffet had an awesome lunch selection everyday. We loved dinner at the Verandah, although the service was pretty slow. Eight Rivers was great, and the atmosphere at Bayside is super romantic. It just seemed that the food at Verandah was the best. Even the buffet offered a great dinner.

We loved the Steel Band show on Wednesday night - it is a must see! We also did the catamaran cruise and the Dunns River Falls tour. Make sure you bring an underwater camera (with a wrist strap! I tied it to my bikini top for ease of going up the falls) and water shoes. They stopped at a place on the way to get water shoes if you didn't have them ($5 to rent or $15 to buy), but we got ours from the resort's gift shop. We also did the Island Village shopping excursion. They took us to a little shop with a ton of jewelry first - we only bought liquor (rum creme!) here. We then shopped at Island Village, where we bought all of our souvenirs, there are alot more shops here. Most of them have the same stuff, so you can really bargain shop and haggle a bit with them.

We did a couples massage at the spa, and that was fabulous!

Overall, this was a great resort. There was nothing wrong with it, but I felt like something was lacking. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I felt like we had better service at our wedding resort and felt more "at home" there.

3  Thank DeniDen
Write a ReviewReviews (3,210)

Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband and I honeymooned here October 23- 31 2011. We absolutely LOVED tower isle!!!! We were worried because it was "hurricane" season but nothing ever came, just rained every now and then, like 1 hour a day and it was sunny the rest of the time.The trip from the airport to the resort was long but very scenic (take a beer with you! ;)) We arrived at tower isle, a yummy rum drink and cool towels were handed to us as we checked in. The view when you walk into that lobby is absolutely breathtaking, seeing the island and just vast ocean is amazing! We were automatically upgraded to an ocean view room upon arrival and got 30 minute spa coupons for a couples massage. The restaurants and food were sooo good! Most resorts that are all inclusive have ok food, not this place, food was stellar and I have never eaten so much in my life! The rooms were very cozy, pretty tropical colors and clean, no bugs or anything like that. The balconys were great to sit out on in the morning and enjoy mimosas. The only thing that just the *tinest* frustrated us was the time it took to book our excursions for the week, which was a little long, but we did that and made our retaurant reservations all on day one and didn't have to worry about a thing for the rest of our time there. The spa, oh my, was amazing! You have to hop in the pool at the spa during your visit because it gets the perfect amount of sun to make it warm and relaxing. Our massage was very nice as well and in the same room together. We are a young couple, 22 and 29, not shy so we decided to try out the island. I must say we enjoyed being there so much we never even laid on the beach once. It's private, no one is weird, it's very european style where it's all accepted and no one bothers you. The pool bar at the island is awesome and we met Terry there who we loved! He sang for us and made us any drink concoction we wanted. Lastly, we did the scuba diving, well he did because I chickened out, but the instruction was good and it's free, not something you find at most resorts. Overall, we absolutely LOVED tower isle, it was the perfect honeymoon spot. It relaxing, fun and just amazing after planning and dealing with the highs and lows of a wedding. I think about Jamaica, the people, and tower isle all the time and can't wait to come back again!!

Room Tip: The island is breathtaking, get a view of it. Also we were on the main floor which was easy for acce...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We decided on a trip to Couples for our honeymoon in April. We actually decided on a different Couples resort but when we were ready to book, that resort was all booked up. I came to TripAdvisor to do some more research and decided Tower Isle would be our best bet. I had a SUPER stressful time planning my wedding and dealing with family drama on our wedding day. I knew that I wanted to just sit on a beach or by a pool, with a drink and a book. My husband wanted to relax and not have to wake up super early everyday to go see the sights. Tower Isle seemed just perfect for that.

It was our first time in Jamaica and our first time staying at an all inclusive. Our stay was EXACTLY what we wanted. We made plans to maybe go see the sights but were really just happy to spend time with each other and could not pull ourselves out of the super comfortable beds early in the morning! The beauty of the all inclusive really is that you can do as much or as little as you like. We did walk around the entire property, enjoyed the ladies in the gift shop(who are SO funny and warm), had coffees from the coffee bar in the Logo Store(yummy and I wish I had discovered this sooner!), enjoyed snacks from the Pool Grill or the Veggie Bar, it was all AMAZING and just what we needed. Our favorite spot was by the larger pool because it was quieter and there were chairs always available. The pool with the swim up bar was literally right downstairs from our room but a)the LOUD people that gathered there every day were a turn off and b)you had to be out there at like 8am to get a chair. We enjoyed dinner at Eight Rivers two nights and did get to Bayside(the atmosphere there with the waves crashing underneath you OMG) but enjoyed the food at Eight Rivers more. Verandah was our favorite spot for breakfast and lunch. I can't understand how I ate so much amazing food and didn't gain a pound! The quality and freshness of everything is out of this world! I can't say enough about it...and the international buffet on Saturday night...WOW!

I can go on and on about specifics but it really is what you make of it. We were happy to just have so much uninterrupted time together in paradise. The food and drinks were AWESOME! We did the Magical Honeymoons package and had a private dinner on the beach which was one of the coolest things ever! It was so nice to sit and hear the waves and have the sand on your feet. Our waiter Carl was hysterical and we ate, what could be, the best steak I've ever had. Our couples massage was amazing and Jennie was a dream! I've never been that relaxed in my life.

The one thing that really stuck out to me as a downfall was the "shopping excursion." Its to no fault of the resort as the excursion is off property but WOW. The craft village we made a stop at was just...pushy is not the way to describe it. I know that people need to make money and have families etc...but I just did not like the atmosphere there. I was expecting to go to local shops and perhaps a touristy shopping center. We did get the touristy shopping center which was basically all the same stuff in about 50 different stores. But I could have gotten the same things from the vendors Couples brings on site without all the hassle.

Overall, we had a FABULOUS time and I have never witnessed my husband be so bummed out about leaving a place. We are already planning trip back there. It was THAT good!

Room Tip: We had room 4401. The view of the ocean and Tower Isle were breathtaking to wake up to every morning...
7  Thank Cari B
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I stayed a week at Couples Tower Isle in April. The service was the best we've had in Jamaica, and we've been to the island 10 times. There was a wide variety of ages at the resort, and it had a young feel to it. The piano bar was loads of fun. We ate at Bayside, Eight Rivers and Verandah. The service at Bayside was great, as was Eight Rivers. The service at Verandah was slow. The bartenders were very good and even chilled my glass when I asked for white wine. The gym was nice. I never comment on a gift shop at a hotel but the one at Couples had great prices and a lot of really nice clothes and souveniers. Since we had been to another Couples resort, we got to go to the repeat guests dinner, and the food was delicious. The beds were comfortable. We had a room facing the west, not the island. I would have enjoyed having a bathtub but the room was nice and we had a great view of the sunset. As a repeat guest, I had sent my requests in for my fridge to be stocked but when we arrived at the airport, there was a mix up on our reservation. I was panicked but it was corrected by the time we got off the shuttle. My husband and I talked to the ladies at the dinner reservations desks who were extremely helpful and got out fridge stocked. We would definitely return again and recommend the resort to other couples!

6  Thank Elizabeth37
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Just got back from 6 days at Couples Tower Isle. The only thing that would have made our stay better was if our stay was longer. Everyone we met on the property, guests and staff, we're friendly and helpful. Our room was nice with an ocean view that was amazing. Food was tasty and plentiful. We ate at the two restaurants that require reservations and we were not disappointed. The were activities all day and night so you could do as much or as little as you wanted. We had periods of rain everyday but it only lasted a little while and probably saved us from staying in the sun too long. On our last night we were already planning a return trip. Property is well maintained and the beach and pools were wonderful. Staff were spectacular.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors for the best view of the ocean. There are 5 floors.
5  Thank momma02762
Reviewed 3 May 2012

A first-class operation, Couples Tower Isle has a private resort feel to it. It is not as opulent as some resorts, but very nice. It is immaculate, inside and outside. We were on the ocean side of the 4th floor of Building 4. The ocean view is amazing! We enjoyed having the private balcony. There are not people from adjoining properties strolling the beach in front of CTI or vendors approaching you on the beach, except for one non-aggressive seashell salesman that stays in his boat in front of the hotel. It was never difficult to find lounge chairs or floats around the pools or on the beach. The staff is friendly and eager to help. Anything you ask for is “no problem.” Because CTI is fairly small, you get to know the staff and other guests more than you would at a larger resort. There is free wi-fi connection and a business center with plenty of computers with internet connection.

Eight Rivers was the perfect restaurant to celebrate our tenth anniversary. The ambiance was special, the service wonderful, and the food exceptional. They brought us a dessert plate trimmed in chocolate to read, “Happy 10th Anniversary” and our names. Bayside was a special evening as well. The view was gorgeous, the food excellent, and the service attentive. The Verandah – not so much. The service there was maybe the worst we’ve ever had. We were on the verge of leaving before the main course because it took so long to arrive. When it was finally served, we wished we had aborted and gone to the Patio; I couldn’t eat half of my gristle-filled meat. We ordered dessert, but ended up leaving before it came (again an unreasonably long wait) and had dessert in the Patio. We regretted not going there in the first place as they always have a wide variety of tasty food. International Night in the Patio is especially nice, complete with ice sculptures and carved melons. They turn the Pool Grill into a dessert room with several tables filled with desserts. We liked the Pool Grill for a few lunches and enjoyed snacks from the Veggie Bar.

We found it to be much windier than we expected for our April 24 to May 1 stay. A staff member said April and May are the windy season. Some water activities were frequently cancelled due to the wind. There was rain during parts of every day, one day nothing but rain – a red flag day when no water sports occur. The “Beach Party” the night before we left was rained out and ended up being in the Patio Restaurant, but they are obviously experienced at making things work in spite of the unexpected, and it was still very nice. The locals said that it was very unusual to have so much rain.

A few pointers:
• Ladies, take a few sundresses. While some dress casually in the evenings, the majority of women wear dresses (many long) and heels. It was definitely dressier at night than other resorts where we have stayed. Eight Rivers suggests cocktail attire.
• You can schedule a complimentary photo shoot at the photo shop. The photographer takes photos of the couple at various places on the resort, such as on the beach and in the garden. Photos, or a CD of your chosen photos, can be purchased at various package prices – but, there is no obligation to buy.
• Dunn’s River Falls is a must see. Take an underwater camera. They are much more expensive there. You will want to wear beach shoes with gripping soles. You must leave everything on the bus while you tour the falls. You WILL get wet.
• Don’t miss the steel drum band Wednesday nights. Incredible! The Monday night Beach Party includes Jamaican music, dancers, and is topped off with a fire-eating limbo dancer.
• If you plan to take scuba diving lessons, you will need a doctor’s release if you have any of a long list of medical conditions, including heart problems, high blood pressure (or take blood pressure medication), asthma, poor hearing, claustrophobia, or back problems. If you don’t have a release, you have to fax a form to your doctor and get one faxed back in time for your class.
• All other resorts we have gone to made it plain on the front end that tips are not to be accepted, so don’t offer them. We learned - as we were leaving - that this is the case at Tower Isle also, but tips are accepted. Had we known they are not expected, we could have saved quite a bit. Bus drivers, tour guides, and others outside the resort expect tips with hands out asking for them.
• T-shirts and coffee are less expensive at Montego Bay Airport. You will do doubt have plenty of time to do some shopping at the airport as they allow plenty of time when they schedule your trip to the airport.

Enjoy! We sure did!

Room Tip: We liked our deluxe ocean view room on the 4th floor of Bldg 4. The walk is a little longer, but wou...
9  Thank AJPL
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My wife and I just got back from a week at Couples Tower Isle and were blown away! What an awesome vacation and what a place. When we landed in Montego Bay we scooted over to the Couples lounge and checked in to be taken to our resort. They had Red Stripe waiting and what a refreshing taste after a bit of travel. We only waited 10 min and we were off.The drive took about 1:45min, but our driver passed the time with the history of Jamaica.

Check In- Super Easy and Quick and we jumped up to our room. We wanted a quiet room so we stayed in a Garden room and it was perfect. When we go back next year we will stay in a Ocean View room as the view is awesome! The room was perfect! Stocked mini bar and the showers are the best.

Food- The BEST we have EVER had on vacation!!! The Patio restuarant for breakfast,Lunch and Dinner was PERFECT!! Curtis who makes the omelette's is the KING of the eggs! Makes them perfect. And ALL the restuarants served excellent food.We never had a bad meal.

Service- Absolutely Brillant. From room service(which is included) to anything you needed or wanted, it was delivered to you quickly and always with a smile.

Resort and Grounds- Beautiful and well kept. We loved this resort because it was not to big-more of a intimate resort which is perfect for getting around.

Beach-The beach is small but has that beautiful torquise water. Clean with plenty of beach chairs and they give you these red flags to put up in case you need a drink. Water is crystal clear and lots of fish to see.

Whats included. EVERYTHING!! From Room Service to Scuba Diving(Dive Master Christopher is the BEEESSSTTTTT!!), to Hiking Dinn's River Falls(A must) and snorkeling trips and much more.

Oh, the private Island is so cool. It wasn't our thing but we did swim out to it and back every morning.

An absolute Gem of a place. We will be back!

Room Tip: Any of the higher rooms on the 3rd floor facing the Ocean. You can't go wrong!
7  Thank New3055
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!