“excellent all around!”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Calgary, Canada
“excellent all around!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Our fifth time to this resort. First class dining, superb, friendly and caring staff look after your every whim. Location is on a quiet cove, and, most importantly, everything is included. Dunn's River Falls, Shopping, snorkeling, scuba diving, it is all included and comes with lots of enthusiasm and friendly help. Lots of activities or no activities...your choice. Excellent bars, with top notch, quality alcohol. This is always were we create great memories and why we keep coming back every year!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ryan J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
DeWitt, Iowa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a beautiful location in Jamaica. The private island is a must try. It is a nude beach/island and is awkward at first, but it is very liberating and is a bucket list item. You must do it once in your lifetime. The views from the island are breathtaking, and there is an interesting castle structure to explore. The free snorkeling, water skiing, and catamaran ride available from the hotel are so much fun. The catamaran ride was the best excursion we did. The water is crystal clear and we were jumping off the boat in the water and met some amazing people on the ride! The water skiing was a lot of fun, very challenging! We went to dunns river falls as well, it was ok. DO NOT go shopping in the city. It was horrible. The food is ok, the drinks do the trick! The beach is very nice. It is a private beach and is cleaned and raked every morning. The pools are ok. The rooms weren't the cleanest, but we spent most of our time outside, or on the balcony so it didn't matter! The hotel staff was very friendly. The car ride from the airport was 2 hours and the driving was a little scary. The hotel, island, and beach were so beautiful though. I would highly recommend vacationing here!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley B
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I didn't know how badly I needed to relax until about an hour into my stay. That's all the time it took for the wonderful staff, panoramic views, and spacious rooms to get under my skin and loosen me up. I have a huge list of names of my favorite staff members; yes, I still remember their names because they definitely impacted my visit. Every restaurant, cafe, bar, and entertainment activity they put on for guests has a lot of thought put into it. I'll totally admit that I was hesitant to stay at an all-inclusive, but I'm so grateful that I did - Couples Tower Isle did for me what I didn't even know I wanted.

Try each restaurant (get the Falafel Wrap at the juice bar, the green curry at Bayside, the daily catch at The Verandeh, and the lamb at 8 Rivers). You'll see things you're not accustomed to, flavors you're not sure you'll like (I'm now addicted to fried plantains). Just give it a shot. Pumpkin soup may not taste like the pie you've heard of; June Plum juice is not your typical apple juice. These experiences are amazing. The cooks work hard to give you an amazing food experience and their efforts show because every single menu I encountered was awe-awe-awesome.

Hermit crab racing, dance off's...'nuff said. (Miguel & his crew do an awesome job, regardless of the activity. Make sure to show appreciation, it's well-deserved)

One very important thing to know: a few activities or tasks (some drivers, porters, etc) are subcontractors. That means the resort hires them, they are not employed by Couples or get a paycheck from Couples. These individuals rely on tips. The resort will not tell you to tip them, that's not part of their system and it's fine. But if you plan on attending an activity where you leave the resort, make a point to ask if it's sponsored by Couples. For example, Dunn River Falls tour guides expect a tip but when Robert takes you out on the glass bottom boat he's employed by Couples and it's included in your stay. If you do the Catamaran Cruise, your driver may or may not be hired by Couples and the Catamaran cruise guides are a separate company. Whatever your choices, I recommend being prepared with a little cash just so you can cover your bases...just in case. Hopefully this goes without saying, but these folks rely on tips to feed their families and travel from their homes to provide us with entertainment and services.

Make sure to explore the grounds and spa, don't just stick to the beach.

Room Tip: Many of the discounted rates are for lower cost rooms. Take the plunge and upgrade to an ocean view...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ApplaudeGulliver
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Simply incredible. Gorgeous architecture, attentive staff. Great food with quite a few opportunities for a la carte (buffet very good too). It is picture perfect paradise. The bar selection is varied with both local flavor and imported options. You can find some top shelf in the piano bar if you ask for it. We actually went in 2011, but just now wrote the review while thinking about the next trip. One cool feature is the smaller size. With all the extra activities included, I was never bored, but the boutique size means nothing is ever far away.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Bebob W
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Couples Tower Isle (CTI) is exactly what it claims to be. A small, boutique style resort with a retro 1950's feel to the decor and architecture.
This resort is EXACTLY what I expected as I researched exhaustively. I literally spent months planning this vacation as it is basically a make up for never having a honeymoon or proper getaway with my husband of almost 16 years.
This is an adults only, couples resort. There did appear to be some ladies traveling together as well as at least one set of parents with their daughters (late teens, early 20s).
ROOM
We booked a deluxe ocean view room. Having signed up for the Romance Rewards, I was able to pre-check-in. This allowed for stocking our mini-bar as well as making my room preference known. I asked for and received a room in block #4. We were thrilled with room 4508! The view is stunning. Yes, there is some noise late afternoon from the "fun" pool. Close the door if you want to nap.
The room did not feel dated to me. The color scheme is cool pastels. The bed firm, but very comfortable as are the pillows. The washroom was of a decent size and the shower not such a big deal (aim the Shower head slightly towards wall), no flooding.
Housekeeping and turn down service was exceptional! Our room was ALWAYS immaculate. Not an easy task with sand and water being tracked through.
STAFF
Check in was a breeze! This was appreciated after spending 3 hours at immigration and a 90 minute transfer from airport. Neither of these issues are Couples responsibilities and their lounge at airport was lovely. Staff there are courteous, professional and conscientious (I had sat on a soiled cushion at their desk and the ladies were mortified! More so than I). We refused to allow uncontrollable circumstances affect our first impressions.
The lobby is crisp and very graphic in its design, the views are beautiful.
Not enough can be said about the staff at this resort. They serve with a smile, there is no evidence of inappropriate behaviour. We observed one young server politely decline the tip offered to him by guest saying that tipping was not accepted at CTI.
Carmen Davey (?spelling), was acting duty manger when our free in room safe locked us out. She was at our room in less than 10 minutes, solved the issue and asked about our stay. She told us of some coming improvements and listened attentively to our praise as well as my suggestion of washrooms at beach level.
Nikisha is a server whose smile you will never forget!
Entertainment crew seemed on point, however we aren't joiners. Nightly entertainment was better than I expected. Steel drum band was exceptional.
FOOD
I have read nothing but raves for Eight Rivers. To be honest it was our least favorite. The food and service was excellent, just not our preferred atmosphere. It is more high brow.
Bayside was lovely, setting is exceptional although quite loud the night we dined.
Our favorite bar none was the Verandah. It has a laid back, upscale atmosphere, no reservations required and is off menu ordering.The service was excellent, the delicious and five courses was plenty.
Buffet morning, lunch and dinner was very good with both standard fare and more traditional Caribbean fare.
Pool Grill was fast food with a twist and filled those late night munchy requests.
The Veggie Bar (beachside) is awesome as well.
BEACH
Small, private and beautifully tended by Delroy who takes tremendous pride in his work. Thank you once again! Bring snorkelling gear, there are angel fish and other small fish in the shallows right along the beach.
ACTIVITIES
My favorite was the movie on the beach. GO!!!! Make time for this romantic activity.
Catamaran cruise was a hoot!
We had two red flag days out of 9. The rest were yellow. Sign up for anything you want to do, quickly! Our weather was exceptional and we had virtually no rain during the day, nothing to cause me to turn off my reader, much less leave the beach.
***if you plan to try SCUBA make sure to do a questionnaire BEFORE Going on vacation**** Call the resort and have them fax it/email it to you. You made need a doctors letter as proof of fitness. Both my husband and I were excluded as we had checked yes in some of the boxes.
DAY PASS TO SANS SOUCI
I do not understand the love people have for this resort. I will not go into detail other than to say I chose very well with CTI. If you are planning on going to SS for the day, be aware there are TONS of steep stairs.
DRINKS
Booze is booze! Free flowing, flag service on the beach and a mini bar that is replenished as needed, what more can you ask for???

This resort ticked all our boxes. Needless to say we will be returning. One other item of note, we were able to get an upgraded room category and a 10 night stay for the price of 7 nights at a large chain adults only style resort in Jamaica (maybe their ad campaigns cause the higher cost?!). Sometimes longer IS better and for us smaller was bliss. This place only has 236 rooms and we were there at 55% capacity. Couldn't have been happier.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Michelle M
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had been to Couples Tower Isle before the renovation and decided to go back to check it out. It was just as wonderful as we expected. The staff go above and beyond to make sure that you are happy and well taken care of. The beach is small and private and they have an al natural island that you can venture to if you like. The restaurants were all good. Eight Rivers was my favorite. The buffett is one of the best I have ever had. They have both authentic Jamaican food as well as American food. We stayed in a Garden View room. It was very clean. It has a nice balcony with a table and chairs and a mini bar. They had a few things stocked in it and you could call to get any liquor delivered to you. All the liquor is top shelf and all included! The veggie bar has some wonderful dips every day with sweet potato chips. These are a must-have. The beach grill has an amazing snapper sandwich and yummy jerk chicken. We ordered room service once that comes from the grill and had it within 20 minutes! We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank marhuck
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was our first trip out of the country and I do not know how any place will be able to top Couples Tower! The food was excellent, make sure to get dinner reservations for all the restaurants right when you get there so you can plan your stay. Eight Rivers was by far our favorite. Bayside was at the bottom of the list (don't get me wrong the food was still very good) but if you don't have time to get to all of them, cut that one.

Also make sure not to miss the catamaran cruise, it is a blast. Make your reservations the day you get there as well! Unfortunately we didn't get to do the snorkeling trip or the glass bottom boat tour due to the water being too choppy towards the end of our stay. We were bummed about that but hopefully next time! We also went on the Dunn's River Falls trip. I had read mixed reviews on this before going but I am so glad we went, I loved it! The place is beautiful and the climb was relatively easy, but we like doing things like that. The hand holding thing was kind of lame, but I think their reasoning for making everyone do that is to help the older/not as active people up. Halfway through we ended up falling to the back of the line so we could climb up on our own.

Don't bother with doing the resort exchange (they let you go to Couples Sans Souci for the day) we did that and found we liked Couples Tower wayyyyy better. If you go there the bus doesn't come back for you until 4 pm so you have to spend the entire day there. We ended up calling a taxi to take us back around noon. It was fun to see the other resort but not worth the whole day.

Get to know the bartenders, it is more fun! They will also make you special drinks. Rohan was our favorite, he was amazing! Everyone there was so nice. The resort is absolutely gorgeous.

The reason I did not give the rooms four stars is we paid to upgrade our room to an ocean view but the view from our room was just some shrubbery. Still a very nice room, just would not pay extra for that in the future.

Take a trip over to the private island, and don't wait until the last day to do it. We thought it would be incredibly awkward, and it was at first, but we ended up enjoying it. Have a couple drinks beforehand, and you will be fine :) The view from the top of the tower is worth it, I got some amazing pictures from up there!

Can't wait to go back to CTI someday! If you are still on the fence about this resort, I made a photobook of our trip. Take a look and feel free to message me if you want more info! It has information on all the activities we did and TONS of pics of the resort.

Here is the link:

Honestly we loved this place and were so spoiled, I don't think any other resort will be able to live up to this!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!