“Outstanding.... Again !”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second time to this resort (we liked it so much the first time) and many returns to Jamaica (16+) ... here's the run-down:

Getting there :
Its about an hour and a half from Sangster International so make sure you stop in the facilities before boarding bus ... The airport reception is very efficient ... gets you processed and beer in hand in a matter of seconds...... once on board its an easy ride ... bring a couple of dollars for the airport porter and your driver you are on vacation so relax let someone else carry your bags!

Grounds:
Couples is a small resort set on a lovely well maintained grounds..... so if you are looking for a massive hotel so you cant fight for chairs and attention at bar this may not be the place for you

Checking in ..... So easy its almost like they expect you (unlike some other places where you have to wait a wait), greeted with a cool towel and like airport reception ... they have a cool drink in your hand in almost next to no time.

Bellmen ... always in good humor super friendly and efficiently whisk you (and luggage) to your room ....(and from your room on the way out ... not quite as fun but you are in good hands)

Rooms ... we stayed in premium room overlooking ocean 3210 & 3220 large balcony great view ... I had a look at the garden view rooms that looked very nice too but probably more buggy on balcony. Rooms are clean spacious and well looked after by maids... and if you in room bar service is great .... just call down and order a bottle of Rum, Scotch, Vodka and some mix just in case you fancy a cocktail while sitting on balcony after long day basking in sun!

Beach: over all the beach is ok, its not Negril but the water is just as warm.... some rocks when you are getting in so if you have sensitive feet beach shoes might be in order .... but really there isn't that many .... there is a lot of seaweed outside the swimming area so snorkelling off beach isn't that great ... better snorkeling are is right off the Island but that is the nude beach so non-naturalists might feel a little pervy being over there even if intentions are to see fish .... I ended up over by bay side restaurant where there is some larger fish and stingray. They have a snorkeling tour if you go to good area not to worry

Restaurants:
8 Rivers (Fancy Dress) and Bayside (shorts) are 2 reservation restaurants both excellent, last time we wished we went to the 8 rivers more and might have skipped bay side (asian fusion cuisine) ... this time we went to 8 rivers 3 times and Bayside once and it was so good we wished we went to bayside again) (Guess it just depends what you order....)

Verandah (shorts no reservation required) excellent food defiantly our favorite although by the end of the trip we were leaning towards just ordering appetizers, soup and salad because food was so good one tended to eat way too much (but again you are on vacation !)

Buffet - we never ate dinner there but breakfast and lunch are excellent (lots of choice and quantity something for everyone)

Snack Bar just in case you Ever get hungry or just wants something simple ... the snack bar featured a pretty good burger frys etc and Jerk chicken and was only closed a few hrs a day

Health food Bar - Smoothies and plantain chips and other healthy alternatives ..... tried a few things all excellent but managed to resist in favor of non healthy choices.......like the bread pudding of the day ...... mmmmm so good :)

Bars ....well staffed very efficient premium brands, fancy drinks ....

Gift Shop: standard resort stuff..... but still had good selection of touristy things to buy .... picked up brother's 17th Jamaica T rather than waiting for last minute Airport

Dive Shop : Guys were great (Thanks again Chris and Captain Dave!) ... equipment was reasonably new ... I didn't feel the need to bring my own regulator but most of the divers brought their own gear.... 2 dives a day 1 at 09:00 and the other after lunch ... sometimes earlier and some times later depending on learn to dive class. Saturday is 2 tank morning dive. The greatest part of Jamaica Diving is all dive sites are less than 10 minutes from resort, water is clear and warm ! other places I have visited dives have been as much as 3hrs away (and back) making non diving spouse less cheerful and less willing to allow similar activity tomorrow.

Cat Cruise ... didn't go this time .... I enjoy sailing ... last time it was more of a drive around the Ocho Rios Harbor and the sails only went up for show ... this time I don't think they bothered putting the sails up ... but those that went seemed to have fun !

Glass Bottom Boat : non diving spouse went on this said that she saw some fish ew! but mostly very interesting because driver pointed out all celebrities houses......

Snorkeling tour: sorry I didn't go but I know the area where they take them is a good spot ... good visibility and lots of things to see.....

Water sports ... all of the gear was new and in good working order .......

Piano Bar: Charming ... best place to have a pre dinner cocktail .... lots of pictures of founder and stars that visited resort.

Spa: Sorry couldn't make it

Golf: we didn't golf this time but last year we brought clubs and did 8 rounds ... nice course grate caddies. Advise get a cab to pick you up early and take you home after ... resort shuttle leaves at 9 ....same as Sandals shuttle .... this means all, golfers arrive at the same time and their is only 1 fist hole so ..... depending what order you signed in .... you will have to wait to tee off and wait for all to finish to go home ..... you can order food or beer at course but that means $

Nude beach (island): Sorry No one wants to see me naked so I didn't find out .... again

Pools ; 2 1 swim up bar ......well looked after very clean

Whirlpools 2 ..... not sure I liked the look of these so I didn't partake ..... they were cleaned every day but every night they were murky .... possibly proximity to bar or perhaps just the chemicals ..

General: the resort is charming, decor reminiscent of the old 50's / 60's movie feel but all renovated and new. Its a great place to chill, rest and recuperate from long (extra long winter) and stressful work life. On the downside its not a real active place ie a lot of activities going on all the time so if action is what you are looking for ... some extracurricular off res tours may be in order. But if you are looking for great place to kick back and chill with great food and no kids running around screaming.... its an outstanding place to stay !

Room Tip: Pay fro Premium room ..... I'm not a room guy but its worth it !
12  Thank Jim W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,210)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was our second trip to Jamaica and our first to a Couples Resort.

On the first visit it took over 2 hours to get through immigration and customs so this year we used the Mo Bay service and within 3 hours we were at the hotel. The Mo Bay Service took us into the Couples lounge to “check in” and then over to the Mo Bay Lounge to use their services. After about 15 mins they escorted us back to the Couples Lounge where we just had time for a quick Red Stripe before getting our ride.

The bus ride to Ochio Rios seemed very fast despite the 15 min stop due to the friendliness of our fellow travellers.

Arrival at the hotel was good, 5 couples arriving at the same time could have been chaotic but the ladies were asked to sit at the desk and fill out paperwork which only took a couple of minutes. During which time we were provided with drinks and cold towels. The luggage was quickly transported to our room.

The rooms are lovely – we had 3313 which was garden facing almost over the main entrance. Fantastic large walk in closet and big bathroom with a large walk in shower. The air con in the room was great – probably the best we have had on a Caribbean holiday and was complimented by a large ceiling fan. The in room bar was already stocked with our preference of drinks – you can pre-request by joining the rewards programme and checking in online. It was a little tedious during the holiday having to phone to request restocks and signing for the delivery – would have been much better if this was done automatically. Also a bit disappointed that the spirits in the room were not premium brand (I drank Tanquery Gin throughout the resort but in the room it was a local unknown brand) I believe you can have premium brands in room but you have to pay for them – not quite ultra AI?!

We had room service on our first night which was efficient and tasty. We like our food and came away from the holiday with very mixed feelings – some things were excellent – breakfast was probably the best meal of the day for us as it was consistently good. We loved the two meals that we had at Bayside – all the food was excellent.

We weren’t over keen on the buffet restaurant as we prefer to have a leisurely meal and be served. We really enjoyed the beach party on our first week but sadly it had to be moved into the patio restaurant in our second week and it didn’t seem the same.

We were hugely disappointed with the gala night, in terms of organisation, service and food. Tables are set around the pool and it is a free for all with no attempt by staff to seat you at a table (they seat you at a table on the Beach for Beach party so why not on gala night?!) We couldn’t find a table for 2 so sat at a table for 6 as on beach night we were seated with others by the staff and we thought that this would happen again. We were rudely told by a member of staff that we couldn’t sit there as we were only two and we should sit at a table for 2 on the raised area by the snack bar and internet room (we hadn’t noticed that there were tables there). We then had to wait in line for 20 mins (yes I did time it!) within the patio restaurant to get food. The food we found disappointing considering it was “Gala Night”. The desserts and ice sculptures were fantastic and like others we sampled a couple of desserts while in the line for our main meal!

The downside of the ice sculptures are that they melt - I found this out when I slipped on a large inch deep puddle! Not sure what was going on that night as the staff all seemed preoccupied and failed to give the fantastic level of service that was provided at all other times. When I pointed out the water and my slip the maître de just said he would sort it and put a wet floor sign out – no concern for me or my wet trousers. We never got offered a drink with our meal that night either.

The second week the Gala night fell on our wedding anniversary and we knew there was no way we would be eating there – even if it meant going out.

We ate in 8 Rivers on 3 occasions – the first was excellent – fantastic food and faultless service. The second was quite a contrast. The service was far too fast – they were clearing plates the second the last mouthful of food was eaten and returning with the next course. My husband didn’t particularly enjoy his main course, nothing specifically wrong just a bit tasteless and disappointing. When the waitress cleared the plate he told her so and she laughed at him! As we had been served so fast we decided we didn’t want a dessert and left the restaurant. The team leader realised that something was wrong and followed us to enquire. He listened attentively and appeared genuinely concerned – this man demonstrated great customer service and we thanked him for it. The menu changed two days later and we decided to give 8 Rivers another try on our anniversary rather than going out and had another very good experience.

Our favourite restaurant was the Veranda – lovely food and great service but not quite as formal as Eight Rivers.

We used the grill bar a couple of times and the Veggie Bar which was superb.

We found all staff were extremely friendly and could not do enough for you. Service was efficient and genuine without being stuffy. At no time did we feel that anyone was trying to seek tips.

We liked the history of the hotel with old promotional material framed on the staircases and photos of celebrities in the piano bar. The refurb had been done well and was considerate to the history of the hotel.

We never visited the Spa during the day – other people spoke highly of it and the numerous beautiful brides we saw were evidence of this. We did visit at night with friends when you can use the spa tubs and tranquil pool (not that it was tranquil when we were there!)

The trips, diving and snorkelling are all included in the package making it good value. There appeared to be plenty of good quality watersport equipment but we never used this. Friends were experienced divers who wished that they had brought their own equipment – so bring yours if you plan to dive.

Evening entertainment wasn’t always our thing – singalongs in the piano bar are not for us! The night that Leonardo Carmichael played on the beach was fantastic, he is very talented. The best night was the Silver Birds Steel drums and dancers who were truly amazing (check them out on You Tube!).

It is not a late night party resort – lots of the guests are attending weddings or on honeymoon! There is a new bar/lounge at beach level that doesn’t open until 10.30/11pm which was usually the liveliest place at night. We certainly had a few giggles there!

We took a “Trading Places” trip to Couples San Souci – we found that most travellers from the UK were not aware that you could do this. You need to sign up for the rewards programme online and then you can book at Guest Services. The hotel provides a shuttle across to San Souci on Mon, Weds and Fridays at 10am and comes back at 4pm. It was lovely to see another hotel in the chain and use their facilities for the day – it made us realise that we had chosen the right hotel for us!
Overall we had a superb holiday, mainly due to the people we met and the fantastic staff and would love to return.

8  Thank northern_rose34
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is my first review and also my first time at a all inclusive resort or anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter. Check in was a breeze, they had a cold towel and drinks as soon as we walked in. We had a premiere ocean room, #3324 over looking the swim up bar pool.

I've seen some complaints about noise but the bar closes at 6:30 PM so I don't understand how you could possibly be bothered at those hours. And besides... ITS A BAR... in a pool.. in Jamaica. Would you expect anything less? We were hardly in our rooms other than to sleep and get ready for different activities anyways. One of my favorite parts of the honeymoon that I didn't expect was meeting all of the different couples from all over. The best place for hanging out was at the swim up bar. Beware of the Bob Marley shot, it is a beast. The main bar by the patio was pretty laid back so we would just stop in to grab a drink before heading to the beach. I was disappointed that people didn't stay out for drinks after dinner. It's very laid back and quiet in the evenings so we would usually hit the sack pretty early. I thought the food at all the restaurants was a little repetitive but good quality, no complaints there. My only complaint about the resort was that on our last day we wanted to do the discovery scuba class for beginners. We signed up 2 days before. They asked us to be there at 8AM, then made us wait around until after 9 and then told my wife she couldn't dive without a doctors permission since she answered yes to one of the medical questions. Seriously? Maybe you could have told us that 48 hours before when we filled out the paperwork instead of wasting our time!?!?

Overall great trip and all of the other water activities were a lot of fun. Perfect resort for being laid back on the beach, with plenty of activities to do and excursions if want. If your on your honeymoon make sure you tell them so you can get the free couples massage and bottle of champagne.

I probably won't go to this resort again because I think it would be pretty boring to go to the same place twice. I would do another Couples Resorts though only next time I would go to Negril instead because of the good reviews I heard from other repeat vacationers we met at the resort. I've also heard there can be good discounts for repeat customers

Room Tip: Premiere ocean room was great, no complaints other than some ants if you left food or drinks out. w...
5  Thank jesmith17592
Reviewed 12 June 2014

For an all inclusive resort, "no tipping allowed", everyone had their hand out. Every move we made we were made to realize that there was an added cost. Even the "free classes" that we took from the vendors. We were asked not only for money but food! Water sports were fun. We expected to tip people but vendors?? The guide at Dunn river Falls wanted $20. per person. Our mini bar was not stocked, we asked and it never got stocked. Three couples went, it was all of our anniversaries, 2 couples got champagne and fruit and cheese, one did not. I would not return to Jamaica or to the Couples, nor would I recommend it to anyone. If this is paradise to some of you, were do you normally go?

6  Thank Lcm815
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Lcm815,

Thank you for staying at Couples Tower Isle. We do not allow our employees to receive or solicit tips. However, vendors and outside tour guides are not within our jurisdiction.

Couples Resorts apologizes for service issues where mini-bar and anniversary gifts were concerned. Management has been informed. Even though you said you didn't enjoy Jamaica as a destination, I still recommend looking at Negril to redeem this semi-bad experience.

Regards,
Abraham Issa

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had not been on a "real" vacation in almost three years so we had been waiting for our trip to Jamaica for what felt like forever. I had thought about Club MoBay after reading about it on TA but we decided to chance it. We arrived Monday afternoon and had absolutely no wait whatsoever. We went directly to the lounge and waited for our shuttle. After a rough last day at work before vacation, I told my co-worker I needed a drink in my hand upon arrival, which Couples gladly provided to me. It was a bit of a ride to the resort but thankfully we had a very fast driver. ;-)

ROOM: We checked in and we were promptly greeted with drinks. Our room was okay---we had a direct ocean view, which was gorgeous, but the room itself felt a little dated. That doesn't really bother me---my only complaint would really be the fact that it didn't feel that clean. To walk in and find hair on the toilet seat (you know what kind), hair on the shampoo/body wash bottles, obvious dirt on the floor---well, it makes you wonder about how clean everything else is. My only other issue with the room was the terrace. The terrace was rather large and we had small, uncomfortable wicker chairs, which was AWFUL for my back. It would be nice if they had some type of lounge chair or a pull out foot rest.

FOOD: The food was pretty good. Much of it was the same thing daily but overall, I thought it wasn't bad. The restaurants (Bayside, Verandah, 8 Rivers) were also very good. It's very hard to not overeat, as they provide you with A LOT of food. There are always snacks around. The Grill was okay, with the hot dog being---well, I'll just say not so good.

DRINKS: After a few attempts, I decided to stay away from their pre-made drinks. SO sweet. Way, WAY too sweet for me. Other drinks are fine and they only have Red Stripe, which is also okay.

WHAT'S INCLUDED: I would highly recommend the SCUBA lesson and dive. It was REALLY great. The snorkeling was fun too. The reason we picked this resort was because they provided so much stuff right there, though a lot of people don't seem to use it. Unfortunately, we didn't really get to take advantage of the excursions due to time constraints so I cannot comment on those. The beach is small but I found that to be fine---there were times where NO one was in the water. Most of the areas didn't have very many people, which was fine with me. More beach and pool time for myself.

SERVICE: Most of the people were very friendly. Service was excellent, though since I do like to get things myself sometimes, it did feel odd when someone would tell me to sit down while I was already standing up to get my own coffee. I'm also not used to people checking on my room twice a day to see if it needs to be made up.

ENTERTAINMENT: We didn't get to catch everything, but your mileage will vary. The Beach Party entertainment was okay for us but I really loved the steel drum band.

Overall, we had a great time at Couples and didn't want to leave. There are a few things that I would change but we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

3  Thank einzweidrei
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was our 1st time to Jamaica and Couples. We stayed 7 nights, we are late 30's/early40's age group. Airport was non eventful, no problems with lines; typical island airport. We did travel on Thursday going and returning which helps. The couples lounge was great; 2 Red Stripes, bags taken care of, and we were on our way. Ride is long as expected (1hr 40min) but our driver was great at pointing out all the sites. The resort could work on the return ride timing a little bit. There is no need to leave the resort at 9:30am for a 2pm flight, we would have much rather spent more time at the resort.

Arrival was great, band playing, immediate view and ocean breeze in your face...drink in hand and quick check in. Kayeena at concierge desk is awesome! We stayed in a premier ocean room, # 1201. Bellhop to our room was fantastic, very informative. View was unobstructed and gorgeous, room very clean. We were westward facing with great sunset views. Adequate bathroom. Minibar always stocked and anytime we needed more wine we just made a phone call. And yes you can drink the water. I drank it all week and never had a "problem". Temperature control was no issue, we were always comfortable. My husband loved the pillows. Balcony was great to sit on in am and late evenings. Only room problem was this returning odor virtually every evening after dinner. Certainly smelled like a plumbing issue. We asked housekeeping for a candle and received one almost immediately with a lighter. The staff at this resort are AMAZING. I wish I could remember all the names but I can not say enough about the service here. This place is small and more intimate as we like, and we loved the retro décor and feel of the resort.

Food and drinks are delicious all around. I don't love buffets at resorts but the breakfast buffet at The Patio is fantastic, we never missed it (Orlenga...sp ? he is great). We ate lunch there twice and it was equally as good. We did the Veggie Bar one day for lunch and it was even good. At the Pool Grill I ate the jerk chicken and coleslaw every time, it is fantastic. The fried calamari is surprisingly good. We hit Eight Rivers the 1st and 2nd nights...amazing food and service (Kemar our server was great!). Bring pants guys...it's worth it. We also ate at Bayside twice, great food as well and the setting on the ocean is awesome (I can only remember the name Charles but he was working with someone else...and those guys were awesome!) The Verandah was great too, ate there once. Their Gala night and Beach night food was probably the best I've had at a resort "theme night", they really do it right. I will say our server that set up a new table for us at Beach night was awesome. All the bars will make you whatever you want just ask. Rohan at the swim-up bar makes a great Bob Marley shot! Again the staff will really get whatever you ask for, it is always "no problem, ya mon". Ava from entertainment is one of the nicest people I've ever met!

Beach is wonderful, activities are plentiful. Jamaica does not have a bug problem and chairs were abundant. Weather was a little windy but mostly always sunny and ~ 85, some choppy water but that is just island travel. We spend a lot of time on the beach versus pools, but both pools were fun too. We are PADI certified and did 2 dives, they have a great boat and staff is great (thanks Chris and Douglas!) We did the Sunset Catamaran cruise and had a great time even in the rain. The snorkeling is pretty good at the stop, our captain advised us where to swim to and we saw lots of cool stuff. We took out the "mini" catamaran and also did the water bikes and had a blast. The Dunn's River Falls is amazing! The driver for this excursion (Gary ?) is fantastic. You can't not do this. I won't go into detail about the island but how can you go to Couples Tower Isle and not at least try the "isle", it is beautiful.

Night life is relaxed, but you can always find somewhere to sit around and listen to music. The singer (can't remember his name) for the bon-fire on the beach was great! Steel drum band was very good. There were some technical difficulties with the sound system at The Gala night but it was a beautiful setup around the pool. The ambiance of the piano bar is really cool but so-so on the piano playing and singing. Beach night games/entertainment was fun to watch. The band that plays on the stage at The Patio Restaurant is good too. The purple bar (don't know the name) down on beach level is really cool inside.

We would definitely return to a Couples Resort...can't wait to try Negril next time :)

7  Thank Dolezilek
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

If you want less than perfection then you dont want to visit Couples Tower. My wife and accompanied her sister and now new husband to the resort and were extremely impressed with everything they had to offer. Water sports.... Perfect, Drinks pool side..... Perfect, Off site excursions..... Perfect. Some of the reviews spoke of people being aggressive for tips but we must of been there on a off week because that wasn't our experience. The staff was professional. The rooms were always tidy. The grill stayed open until 4a and offered multiple items including jerk chicken that hit the spot everytime. We will be back and we will be brringing others with us. This was our idea of paradise.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!