“Wonderful time”

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Omaha, Nebraska
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went here for a family wedding. Loved the place, awesome view, definitely worth "ocean side" rooms, as the ocean is right under your deck. Very good deal if you like active life, as diving, snorkeling, kayaks, catamaran, Dunns River Falls excursions all were included. We Scuba dove 3 times while there, quality dives. Quieter than some resorts, since no kids, and not the party club/casino scene of some spots. Wedding coordination was excellent too. Loved to dine dressed up and resort photographer got some good shots of us. Lovely time.

Room Tip: definitely ocean side. The "upgraded suites" were more square footage, but not as updated...
3 Thank Julie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
Venice
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We just returned from an 8 day/7 night honeymoon and had a great time. Bayside and Verandah had great dinners. The Patio/Pool Grill always had good food and great service. Breakfast was routinely disappointing. Thanks to Christopher and the other guys in the dive shop for helping with our advanced open water certification. The diving was decent- the water was super clear, but not much to see in terms of wildlife. Dunn's Falls was a great excursion. The 9 mile Bob Marley tour was ok. It takes 1.5 hours to get there and not for those who are sensitive to motion sickness. There are several things to do daily. The evening activities start late (10pm) considering you spend most of the day outside sipping on something yummy. Overall, we had a really nice time.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kbh725
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I went to this resort and overall we had a good time, but nothing was outstanding.

The pro's included:
- Wasn't too loud or too much of a party scene
- Good food (the self-serve ice cream machine was a nice touch)
- Dunns River Falls was an included trip which we enjoyed
- Some of the entertainment was good (some of it was pretty bad)

The cons:
- The reason we chose this place was because scuba was included and we wanted to have some great scuba diving (we went every day). The dive shop staff were great, but the reefs are nearly dead - they are mostly brown with very few fish. We saw a couple of cool things (turtle, dolphins, jelly fish), but overall this is not the place to go if you want good scuba diving. We were definitely let down. Obviously this is not the hotel's fault - just the location.
- We had several experiences where the staff ignored you, or responded in a way that made it clear that you were disturbing them and they didn't want to be there or to help you. This really put a negative spin on the trip for us.
- The weather wasn't that great - is was mostly cloudy and not very hot.
- It took 10-15 minutes of running the shower full blast to get any hot water in the room.

We felt we could have gone to Cuba or the Dominican for half the price and had the same experience. We went to St. Lucia two years ago for the same price ($2000 per person) and couldn't help but feel that the trip to St. Lucia was a MUCH better experience on all levels. We wouldn't return to this resort, or Jamaica considering the service level and cost.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole L
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Nicole L,

Thank you for trying Couples Resorts. It is unfortunate your first experience did not entice you to return.

In regards to diving locations, Couples Resorts does all they can to preserve nearby reefs via green practices. Sorry that this was a disappointment for you.

I would also like to extend my personal apology for any service issues during your stay. All of your comments have been forwarded to management.

Although it seems you have made up your mind about returning to a Couples Resort or Jamaica, I urge you to reconsider and look at our Negril hotels on Couples.com.

Marion, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I left this beautiful resort on August 3rd after having spent our 10 year wedding anniversary here starting July 27th. The minute we arrived to Jamaica, we were greeted with nothing but friendly, happy people. The workers at this resort work very hard to ensure that their guests are taken care of and with wonderful smiles. When arriving at the airport after a long and stressful process of going to another country, we were immediately greeted at the Couples' welcome lounge with "You're in Jamaica now, no problem!" and was lead to the bar for a drink. Easy process getting checked in and our worries were left behind us. We were encouraged to tip the guy who transported our luggage to the van (no big deal) and we were taken on a 2 hour journey to the resort. I didn't mind this really because it gave us time to see the country and how they live. Lots of goats (Jamaican lawnmower)! We made a short pit stop to grab a snack and use the restroom and then we were on our way. Would have rather kept going (I was tired) but it was fine. Can't say that the countryside is exactly pretty but it was fascinating. Once arriving at the resort there was a small group of musicians who greeted us with big smiles. Now, when you walk into the lobby...brace yourself because it takes your breath away. Perfect centered view of the small au natural island with GORGEOUS shades of aqua and blue surrounding it through the glass doors. My jaw dropped. Again, the checking in process was warm and friendly. We were led to our rooms and told about the orientation if interested. A lot of the reviews will mention that these rooms are dated...absolutely defeats the purpose of what this resort is trying to present. This resort has been here for many years and I LOVED how quaint the rooms were. Clean, bright and a gorgeous view. We had the Premiere Ocean view in Building 3. We were completely satisfied with it's location. Felt like we were part of the action from the comfort of our own room on the balcony. We had time to eat at every restaurant and enjoy the wonderful buffets the workers set up on Mondays and Saturdays. They take so much time to work on the detail of these presentations to where my husband and I felt completely spoiled the entire time. Food is excellent, water glasses were always full. We went on four excursions in which it was a little less than I expected but that was not because of the resort, just my understanding. Do not come here with comparisons or it will most definitely take away from what this resort has to offer. Let it speak for itself and you will appreciate it more. The only thing I struggled with, I think, was vendors. I'm coming to learn and sometimes I felt as though my lack of knowledge was taken advantage of by vendors wanting to make a buck, however "no" could be a stronger word in my language as well. It can be very overwhelming but I was told by a wonderful van driver, Glasset, to not feel pressured to buy what you do not want. They will try many things to coerce you, but simply to support themselves. Just say "no". ;) It was frustrating because it made it hard to trust the friendliness of the culture. It always seemed as though there was a motive but I was able to find that wasn't so by the majority of the workers on the resort. Excellent service. Loved them all. Loved the Glass Bottom Boat and the Piano bar! Oh yeah, the beach is small but it was perfect for what we needed. No problems finding chairs and an easy place to relax. Kind of frustrating to read the complaints simply because these people put up with a LOT with smiles on their faces. There is no room for prude people here. Relax! Enjoy yourselves!

To the workers at this resort, Thank you for this wonderful experience. I only hope that I am able to provide you the same treatment in our country someday ;)

Room Tip: Had a beachfront room, which was gorgeous but honestly any room will satisfy. Was quiet once nightti...
5 Thank TheSlowbeks
Alabama
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I recently visited this resort for the 4th time so let me start by staying I really liked this resort, but obviously something has changed, but not for the better. Let me explain.

Booking
When I initially booked this resort, the rewards system was wrong and had deducted rewards points in error. I emailed the resort was instructed but I never received a response. I have to check back and it was corrected, but no one from the resort ever contacted me.

Room/Housekeeping
The rooms decor and comfort were the same no changes here with a beautiful view. We stayed in room#4312 ocean view deluxe. It was very clean and prepared nicely for us. But, the housekeeping during the week needed improvement. Rooms weren't made up until around 3pm each day. Some nights housekeeping didn't come to complete turn down service until after we were already in the bed or in our room for the night. It seemed that the resort was short staff.

Food in the buffet area was very repetitive for the evening dinners. Basically the same menu each night, only slightly changing a few things. The current buffet area previously had a menu option, but that changed since we last visited in 2012. Now, the option is all buffet. The seating seemed crammed and we were no longer able to choose were to sit, but rather forced to seat close to other dinners. This took away the overall intimate feel. I'm assuming this was done to help the new staff meet the couples needs.

The dinner at the 8 rivers was extremely slow. The food was okay, but we prior to getting desert because all of options were for chocolate dishes. My husband doesn't like chocolate and the previous menu had more options.

The servers in the dining areas seemed to be new staff,and didn't understand a lot of our drink orders. They were slow to return with drinks and water. They were also not as friendly or attentive as on our last visits.

We ordered room service one night and it took the staff over an hour for someone to pick up the phone. Someone only answered after we contacted the operator to get assistance.

Activities
After eating dinner, the nightly activities were very repetitive. Nightly activities had very low participation each night and seemed to be geared more towards an older crowd. The best night of entertainment was the beach party, but they were same performers from 2012, nothing new. The nightly singer was also the same from 2012 and he sung every night.

Daytime activities were also pretty bad as well. We waited for an hour for a painting class that was late to start then the instructor blamed the resort for the scheduling conflict. He didn't take responsibility at all and a staff member had to be contacted to see what was going on. Other activities that were listed on the activities board was cancelled, late, or in the wrong location.

In comparison to other AI resorts, this resort really lacks in the activities area.

Departure
Couples booked our ride back to the airport, and we had to put our back outside of our door an hour early. This is done so that the bell hop can take the bags down to the departure bus. When we went to check out, the bags still had arrived. We had to remind the front desk clerk of this, and she had to contact a bell hop for us. A continental breakfast was set up for the early departure (2 other couples leaving at the same time). This breakfast was also late and we had to rush and eat before leaving. As repeat guests, we also did not receive our departure gift.

Conclusion
Overall, the feel of the resort has changed and does not feel as intimate as it once was. The staff was not as friendly in past years, and the service has declined in comparison to other visits. The hotel seemed short staff, which in turned helped to contribute to the poor service. Unfortunately, we will not be returning anytime soon for a 5th visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meca4vr
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear meca4vr,

Thank you for returning to Couples Tower Isle for a 4th visit and posting your 2nd review. It is extremely disappointing to hear that you felt the service was not as good this time. Couples Resorts apologizes for the delay of your Romance Rewards points. We're glad this was corrected.

I have forwarded your other comments to Tower Isle’s General Manager in order to address each issue.

Sorry for this stay falling short of your expectations. This is unfortunate news considering your other 3 visits were memorable. We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was the first time I went away to an adults-only resort. We thought it would be a bit stuffy but it ended up being an amazing vacation. I'm not a person that usually travels to the same place twice but I would absolutely visit this particular location as well as any of the other Couples Resorts in Jamaica.

1. Hotel Staff was the friendliest, fun, great and accommodating group I have ever met. They were very fast with all requests and really tried to make your stay enjoyable.

2. Excursions- We took advantage of all of the included excursions. Make sure you book them when you get there because they do tend to fill up. Word to the wise- make 2 dates for any of the "at-sea", if they wind is high they will cancel on you and may not have room to rebook. Shopping trip was a dud- probably the only thing we didn't like. If you want to shop, take a quick cab by yourself- that 2-3 hours of haggling may not be the best part of your vacation. Kayaks and scuba always fills up the day too.

3. Food- absolutely fabulous.
Breakfast- Fill out the form before you go to bed and have breakfast at your door nice and early. Enjoy the view on your balcony and then when you're ready - breakfast again in the cafe!
Lunch- loved the veggie cafe downstairs on the beach.
Dinner- every place is great. Again make your reservations nice and early so you can get a spot. Bayside & Eight Rivers are a must.

4. Private Dinner- this was well worth the money. Private dinner, chef, waiter all on your private island. This really did make the trip.

5. Au Naturale Island- again this was a 1st for us but we enjoyed it. I would recommend going to the island, but if it's not your thing no one is pressuring. There is a private boat you jump on and get off. They serve lunch there and a great little bar. There are very private parts of the island too, if you would rather not see anyone but still stay away from the tan lines.

Really top notch vacation and would absolutely recommend for everyone.

Room Tip: Oceanview is best, get the block of rooms above the swim-up pool. It's farther away from the re...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarissaX618
louiville, ky
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The resort is an older one so if your a big person on updated looks, then you will be highly disappointed. Remember (1949)! We have been to two other Couples-Negril and Swept Away. Therefore, I have a pretty good barometer too measure this place by. My own personal opinion it ranks as third, haven't been to San Souci yet.

The good: Front lobby guys shout out to Byron and the other guys all were cool. The housekeeping staff were all nice. The wait staff in the restrauants and bars. The entertainment team where very good especially Andre "character". Miguel and the other dude they can dance.
The young lady's did a good job of trying to get participation. Food was good. Water guys seemed nice. Catamaran was fun. Off site excursions was decent.

The bad: Don't know if it was because of emancipation, weekend but their was a noticeable drop in staff attentiveness, and quality over the weekend. Drinks were bad had to ask the front desk twice the night before we left when we should have our bags out. Never was told, at the other Couples we had this info two days prior on our door. Poor customer service on this one. Then to add insult to injury, once we got down to check out that morning the front desk person was no where to be found, she was sitting in a chair sheet wrapped around her asleep. I walked the lobby couldn't find anyone. Then the front lobby guy came out of nowhere, and asked where we checking outand did we bring our luggage "WHAT". I said know he asked room number and went to retrieve it. This shows me we weren't even on the list of baggage pick up explains why no note left on our door about checkout time. Highly upset with this. Plus we weren't even able to purchase pictures that we took, due to not knowing when check out was, considering transport to airport was @615 a.m Sunday. The other resorts were open early in the morning to do this, so we have know professional photos to cherish from this. Since this is not a public beach area like Negril, it was kind of boring. Not a lot to do as far as beach walking and looking. Not into the au natural lifestyle.

;

Room Tip: We stayed in 4507 top floor area excellent view!
1 Thank kevin w
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear kevin w,

Thank you for staying at Couples Tower Isle. It was a pleasure having you. Sorry to hear that your vacation did not go as well as planned.

Tower Isle was fully refurbished recently and updates have been ongoing ever since. It was unfortunate you felt differently.

Apart from this, Couples Resorts apologizes for any inconvenience during your stay. Management is investigating the issues you mentioned. All areas will be addressed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,235 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!