“Great time at Couples”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Need2LearnSpanish
“Great time at Couples”
Reviewed 22 May 2009

My husband and I visited Couples Tower Isle when it was still Couples Ocho Rios - 2 years ago. After what should have been a 2 hour drive (but took 3 and 1/2 because of the never-ending road construction in Jamaica), we arrived at Couples. Our ocean-front room (352) had somewhat dated decor, but the gorgeous view of the island more than made up for any short-comings. My husband and I spent many afternoons from our balcony, taking in the view, drinking the Blue Mountain Coffee (delicious) that they provide in your room. We had a lot of fun on the included excursions horseback riding and to Dunn River Falls. We also enjoyed the water sports, glass bottomed boat ride and snorkeling. We were thankful for all the activities included. The food was pretty good. The breakfast buffet was wonderful - always providing a vast array of options from healthy fresh fruit and yogurt to bacon and eggs. We ate lunch every day at the Beach Grill - the burgers were awesome and the Jerk chicken to die for. The food at dinner was so - so. All the restaurants seemed to have similar sauces and soups - we were left disappointed most nights. The one dinner we LOVED was the beach party. Dinner was set up on the beach and traditional food was served - it was fabulous. The drinks were great - we loved the pina coladas - just make sure you ask for premium liquor or they will use well. We went to tower isle on our last day - our attempt at being adventurous. The beach was great - very quiet, secluded and of course beautiful - we loved the guy on the surfboard selling shells. The market across the road is somewhat secluded and the people can be very intimidating. I would stick to the hotel gift shop for souveniers. Bring money for duty-free jewelry - the resort has a jewelry shop on site! Overall, we found the trip to be very relaxing and peaceful, perfect for couples. The people were very warm and welcoming, the views spectacular and the value fantastic.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Need2LearnSpanish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
texas
Reviewed 21 May 2009

The Couple Tower Isle is better than ever. When we arrived I was so suprised to see that Byron had remebered us after 2 years. That makes feel you made the best decision on trying a resort after they close for a year. All of changes were great.

Rooms: Very inviting, cleaned daily,
Food: Was great I was worried when thay changed the Bayside from Italian to Asian
Entertainment: The best.
Employees Top notch

1 Thank merlyn1031
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Zero turn bath, function was not we kept a towel at the edge to keep the water in place. Room’s view was great. Clean because it was brand new.

Package Price included sailing; skiing, diving, Dunn’s River Falls, Horseback riding and a catamaran cruise, and we went to Dunn’s River Falls. Spouse went on three morning dives the third dive; the dive crew did not place the ladder out for the divers to exit the boat. Three divers exited, my husband tried to exit the boat slipped and fell injuring his ankle, the nurse saw him three times she wanted him to go get an x-ray; we did not want to spend out last day at the emergency center in Jamaica. We e-mailed the resort no compensation given for our loss days or excursions. We sat in the room or pool for two days. We had to deal with the luggage and the walking at the airports. I helped as much as I could as far as getting meals to bring up to him, but was not much help at the airport. He could not work the following week.

Couples Resorts Jamaica did not offer anything and we will not return or refer anyone to this resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Jamman, vice president of operations at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
Thank you for choosing CTI for you recent vacation I am delighted to know that you did in fact enjoy yourselves.

I am however sadden by the fact that you injured yourself while at the resort which prevented you from participating in some of the activities that were included in your vacation package.

With regards to your request for compensation I am sorry to inform you that we are prohibited from entertaining claims of this nature.

We have forwarded all statements received to date to our insurance company and request that you make contact with them.
Saint Louis
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Hello Everyone,

We recently got back from our 7 day (much too short) stay at CTI, and wanted to give you all our honest appraisal of the resort.

Being our first real vacation, we didn't go in expecting much. We just read what other people were saying and really looked into a lot of different resorts.

We decided to go with Couples SR. We did this for two reasons. First, because it was a bit cheaper, but mainly because we didn't have to decide which resort to go to. Obviously, we were assigned to CTI.

At first we were in a garden view, and it was ok, but one word to the check-in desk and we were placed into a beautiful ocean view room. We were amazed, and I'll post pictures when we get them sized correctly.

Now we'll move into the review, piece by piece.

Staff:

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a nicer group of staff members. Venque, Byron, Kirk, Jamie, Ava, Sharon.. all made the stay very hassle-free and extremely enjoyable. You couldn't walk anywhere and not hear, "All good?, as it should?" or "Ya Mon". Every part of which was sincere. We'd rate the staff 10/10 (we'd go higher if we could).

Room:

The showers are nice, the zero edge can cause a problem though. We had one of the flat sinks (I'll post pictures), which was very cool looking, but any amount of pressure from the faucet caused a spraying mess. The TV was great, and had enough channels to satisfy us for the amount of time we spent in the room. The balcony was sizable, and comfortable. The bed was comfortable, and the nightly turn-down service was a bonus. The safes are electronic, and you imput the code of your choosing each time you lock it. We'd rate the rooms 9/10.

Resort:

Very beautiful resort. The beach was large, and was cleaned daily r/t the leaves that washed up during the night. There are a lot of comfortable places to sit and enjoy the scenery, and plenty of places to catch some rays. We'd rate the resort grounds at a 9/10.

Food:

The food was ok. We've never been to an all-inclusive, but some of the other patrons said it had been better previous stays. Our favorite was bayside, and her chicken was amazing. My snapper had a bit much of a fishy taste, but was not terrible. The atmosphere there was to die for though. 8 Rivers was nice, with some very nice murals on the walls (someone said they were "uncovered" and restored from a previous time, we didn't personally check into that). The food was good, though I got a taste of something fishy while eating my lamb, and it kinda ruined it for me. The patio (buffet) was quite good, though could stand for a bit more variety during breakfast. Dinner at the patio was quite good each and every night we ate there. The grill was also very good, jerk chicken was all that I had, but my girlfriend said the hotdogs were good too. All in all we'd rate the food 8/10.

Activities:

The only things I can say about the activities is you need to do the water sports on any day they're available. That is, drop whatever else you had planned if you want to scuba/snorkel/sail. I really wanted to scuba dive, but the waters were too dangerous for us to go out when I had planned the times for this activity. We did the hobies, and that was a lot of fun. It's like a mini sail boat, and definitely a blast, though Paige was terrified.

The piano bar was always a good time at night, and the nightly entertainment at the patio was great fun as well.

I went golfing, and the course was fantastic. I would definitely suggest walking. The caddies are great golfers, and will definitely give you a few pointers.

The only activity we did that we wouldn't do again was the horseback riding. We went to the mountain (apparently there is one that goes to a plantation that others said was great), and it wasn't a pleasant time (a lot of reasons go into this, horses/trail/time).

The only suggestions we would have for couples would be to stagger some of the times for certain things. For example: I wanted to scuba dive (class scheduled for 10 I believe), by the time I found out it was going to be cancelled the bus for the golf course was already departed. I know that nothing is perfect, but a message board, or something to that affect, outside watersports with "yes" or "no" would make some things a bit easier. The other suggestion being something to do mid-afternoon when not much is going on.

The shopping excursion was ok, we went to a small plaza where every store had the same items (makes it easier to get better prices). We got all our keepsakes in 1 hour, so for what we needed it for it was fine.

All in all, with everything we did, we'd rate the activies available 7.5/10. We by far didn't get to do all we had hoped to, and the 7.5 might not be the most fair assessment. We can only rate what we did.

Drinks/Bars:

Venque and Sharon. Find them, ask them for a "whatever" and you'll never be disappointed. I only ordered a drink by name on a few occasions. They'll know you by name within a day or two, (though Sharon just said, "Hey Nurse" when she saw me). Obviously we give this section 10/10.

Island:

You had to know this was coming right? Well, we finally made it our last day, and it was beautiful. Very relaxed and comfortable. For all those unsure of the island, don't be. We feel we waited far too long to just go out on the last day. Next year (oh yes, we will be back), we're going out on the first day.

Couples:

There is a wide range of ages there, and everyone was very friendly. We think the people and the staff were what made our trip so enjoyable. So if you're 20 or 60+ you'll fit right in and have a great time.
Weather:

Great, rained for about 1 hour during our awake time during our stay. Though the waters were a bit too choppy a few days, the weather was still great.

Over-all:

We're going to go back to this resort (hopefully in January, during the grand re-opening) next year. We loved CTI, and can't wait to get back. There were renovations going on, but were mostly out of site out of mind. They didn't bother us much. It's easy to see that it's not finished yet, but it'll be a masterpiece soon enough.

5 Thank Par_tee_of_2
York, Pa
Reviewed 3 May 2009

This was our 4th trip to Jamaica. Flew out of BWI ontime arrived approx 9am local time. As usual went threw every thing rapidly and on to the Couples Lounge. One tip fill out the immigration information correctly when it comes to name of resort; I put Couples Tower Island and the immigration agent was not amused.
With yhe exception of one couple we were all going to CTI. Our driver was very informative and had us to the resort in 1hr and 40 mins. We arrived to the music of a Jamaican Band, cool cloths and
Champagne. After filling out the forms we went to lunch and upon our return the room(Superior ocean view) was ready. The staff at CTI was excellent the entire week. I noticed a previous review indicated even the construction workers were friendly . I noticed the same on our trip. You can tell the genuiness of the people by the nature of our conversations, Apparently most of the staff from the preremodeled version of CTI is intact. The weather was exceptional, very litttle rain; however it was windy during most of our time on the beach. One other tip bring insect repellant on ocassion it was necessary to use repellant on our balcony.
We celebrated our fifthteened wedding anniverary at CTI and in honor of that occassion we renewed our wedding vows. I want to thank Nadine our server and Rohan our photographer/best man for
a memorable experience.
We utilized the spa services twice during our stay. Both times couple swedish massages (Highly recommended) The spa manager said she remember us from a previous stay. Couples CTI has extremely loyal guest. We met a couple who was on their 26th trip. Couples offers a number of benifits to returning guest; including champagne to the room and a get together with other returners on Mondays . We became friends with numerous couples during our stay. Many from Pennsylvania; but a few from other states and England. I only gave a rating of 4 out 5. This rating in my mind will change to a 5 upon the completion of the remodeling. There was some distraction with the ongoing work and we were actually amused to see what new item would show up in our room. However, these were minor and didn't distract from our best vacation in Jamaica. We our both disappointed that our trip is over and have begun planning for a return in April 2010

3 Thank Ashtonian2
Kentucky
Reviewed 28 April 2009

First, let me say we are not Jamaica rookies, having stayed there at least once a year since 95. The last 4 visits to Couples Resorts were wonderful. We love Couples, each resort has its own unique magic, but not CTI. They were not ready to carry the Couples banner as a first class resort when we arrived on April 13. Our nightmare began upon arrival when we were told our room was not ready.......this was at 4 p.m. We waited until 6 pm to get into our room which had missing light fixtures, furniture, non-working hair dryer and TV. They did move us to another room, but again, it had missing light fixtures as well. Only one restaurant was open with limited menu, the grounds were barren, doorways boarded up, and many hallways without lighting, only bare wires showing. Half the halls were without carpet. The sad thing is that the staff there is one of the most proactive I've ever seen. They just had little or nothing to work with. Kirk, the bell captain, is the best I've seen in any resort. The morning after our arrival, we requested to be moved and Mr. Leonard, the manager, was amazing. We were in a cab headed to Couples Negril within 30 minutes, arriving 3 hours later for what was to be one of our best trips yet. Although this was to be a good vacation, I feel sadness for those who endured the whole week at CTI. I lost one day, but they paid for a 4-star resort and got a 2-star. Some of those folks will never return to Jamaica. They will have a sour spot for Couples and Jamaica that is undeserved by the hard working staff at Couples resorts and for that I blame the upper management of Couples. They had to know this resort was not ready and they owe each and every person who booked this place in April a sincere apology. Next year we hope to return to Couples Negril for our 10th anniversary, but probably will never return to CTI. In a year or so, CTI could possibly be a 4-star resort, but with much more work.

9 Thank frazgirl
Southern California
Reviewed 28 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at CTI 4/19-25, only 1 week after it opened since being closed for over a year due to renovations. This was our 4th time to CTI/COR. The resort is brand new but kept it's old world charm. The rooms are great. Almost all of the old employees came back, thank goodness since they are what make this place really special. Although the food has always been good it's even better. There was still some finishing touches and minor construction going on but they did their best to not bother the guests. It sounds like everything should be finished within the next few weeks. I think it would be impossible to not enjoy yourself at CTI or any other Couples resort. Can't wait to return next year.

6 Thank Suzancr
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!