“Great place to unwind and enjoy yourself”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place to unwind and enjoy yourself”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

On the face of it, the review shouldnt be great. We were only here for the week, it rained for half of it, we were allocated the wrong room on arrival etc. However, i cant tell you how much we enjoyed our stay here. If there werent so many other places in the world to go see we'd return here no problem.

for the record the staff sorted out our room issue within an hour of arriving and upgraded us free of charge, they had no control over the weather but if they did im sure they would have upgraded us to 80degrees sunshine if they could.

this is the kind of place you can do as little or as much as you want. There water sports, beach volleyball, all the usual stuff. But theres also some fantastic cocktails and beautiful beach to enjoy too, so what ever your preference is enjoy.

when we stayed the place was called Couples Ocho Rios, now its called tower isle, and rightly so i think, as one of the big selling points of this resort is that it has its own private island complete with pool and bar in it. A boat leaves every so often from the hotel jetty and takes you across for not only a change of scenery, but a change of bathing costumes too. The private island is a nudist island, you can arrive find yourself a bed in you bikini / shorts, but when youve settled then its time to adam and eve it.

This is no Hedonism resort, we never saw anything inappropriate during our stay (thankgod) however if youve never sun bathed nude before then id say this is probably the best place to try it.. We had never done it and what a laugh it was. We found ourselves a bed and disrobed. Then my other half took great amusement in sending me to the bar ... for such a small island the bar seemed to be miles away !! Anyway I did the walk of shame to the bar and by the 3rd drink i was virtually skipping there and back.

we'd never done it before and we've never done it since. But lifes for living and its because of the fabulous Tower Isle we have another addition to our 'interesting anecdotes' pile.

Go and Enjoy yourself. and I defy anyone to leave here not saying 'Arie mon' all the way home.....

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goodtimes75
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 9 November 2009
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. Your review made me smile - the thought of the embarrassment, almost child-like daring you to "get a drink", and eventually skipping sans clothes - LOL. Thanks for the Monday funny, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
South Carolina
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We just got back from our week long vacation and wedding at Tower Isle. We really researched locations before we took the trip to ensure that our vacation spot would be perfect, and Couples did not let down.

I have to say that the restort is so far better than we excepted. It is out of this world amazing! The decor is modern - black, white and robin's egg blue, with a touch of hotpink in places. No matter where you went, you were always granted a 360 degree view of the beach.

The staff was top notch, always on top of everything. The activities were fabulous, there was always something that you could do - relax, have fun, read, be in love, eat, etc. We were the couple that took advantage of everything. Yoga, Outdoor acitivities, games, dancing.

The food was superior. Five star all the way. The presentation, the taste, excellent.

The wedding was better than we expected..everything was setup. We had our own photographer, cake, just beautiful. Our pictures turned out to be so professional. IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING GETTING MARRIED IN JAMACIA, YOU SHOULD DO IT.

I will always have some memories of the memorable staff which include: Kay, the social director, LaToya, the wedding coordinator, and Rohan. our photographer.

I honestly do not have enough good things to say about this restort. The only minor, minor issue is that we had low water pressure in the room, which wasn't all that bad. I didn't come to Jamacia to take a long, hot shower - would have stayed at home for that one ;)

A few things that I noticed on my trip and to keep in mind:

1) Pack more swim wear and beach clothing, think outdoor clothing
2) We didn't need to spend extra for anything other than gifts, everything was included, so don't worry if there won't be anything to do or that you need to budget for extra to have fun, you don't have to
3) The crowd was split about 50/50 with young. newlywed couples and couples that have been married 20+ years, 90% were from America
4) The restort may be a little loud later in the evening, so earplugs or an Ipod is a good idea, this isn't to say the restort is boisterous and a party restort
5) Must do: if you are getting married, get your hair done at the spa
6) Make friends and memories everyday

1 Thank victoriastevensc
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 2 November 2009
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. First, congrats on your nuptials, we are so thrilled that you chose to have this very special occasion at our resorts - what an honor! I would have loved to see those posted with the review. The resort was recently renovated and decor, as you describe, is unlike anything I've seen in the Caribbean - kind of rat pack meet south beach. Please be sure to register for romance rewards so we can give you more perks as a return guest. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Deptford, NJ
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We stayed at Couples Tower Isle from October 6-10th. I am a travel agent and we were here to experience the resort after the extensive renovation, so I was able to refer my clients. Overall, the experience was very positive and this is a resort I would recommend to my clients. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
* The resort provides pool lounge floats, plenty for everyone. I really loved this because most resorts do not offer this and it really adds to the relaxation aspect.
* The food was AMAZING. For an all inclusive, the food at the al la carte restaurants was absolutely gourmet. Every single meal was suprisingly good, and the atmosphere was always beautiful.
* This resort was a little smaller than some of the others I've visited. It made for an intimate, service oriented vacation.

Cons:
* Although the al la carte restaurants were fantastic, the buffet could use some work. The selection and quality was nothing like the al la cartes.
* The rooms were pretty, great view - BUT, the bathrooms got a very makeshift lipstick makeover. The shower was not properly graded which caused water to flood the bathroom each time. There was no tub (this was for just a regular overview room), and it was tiny.
* There was a weird system for the drinking water. The resort provides you with water bottles (which bear the Couples logo, and are yours to take home), that you fill at the end of the hallway on each floor. There was not any filtered water in your room.

There was one big con - the "Tower Isle" was nude ONLY. If were not nude, you were not allowed to even go over to the island. I had assumed it was optional - it was not. The entire time we were there we were not even able to see it because we didn't want to get naked. My suggestion would be to have either days of the week or times of day when it is nude required. For people who didn't want to be nude, they missed out on this part of the resort, which was a big reason why we chose it over the others.

Overall, the resort is very pretty, cozy and a lot of fun. We went during low seaon, and were very pleased that it did not feel crowded, however, I would think that at full capacity it could become a problem. I usually like to try different resorts and not repeat the same ones, but if I return to Jamaica I would try another Couples resort.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vacationofalifetime
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. As a travel agent partner, I will forward your review to our sales manager so they can follow up with you directly on sales initiatives and concerns. We hope, as you stated, this experience will give you all the knowledge you need to help your clients chose Couples Tower Isle. Thanks again for your review,
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Buffalo
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Just got back from our weeklong Jamaican dream vacation. The Couples Isle Tower was a wonderful place to vacation with a bunch of friends. We went with three other couples and had a blast.

If you are looking for a five star resort, this is not the place. Our room was nice, but not glamorous (in fact, I'd say the bathroom was too small - we stayed on the main building).

If you are looking to do a lot of activities while on vacation, eating great food and getting treated like you are the only person at the resort, then this is the place for you. The first day before 12:00 we had already water skiied, kayaked and wind surfed. (We went snorkeling the next day).

The recreation staff was wonderful. I don't think they ever slept - we'd see them before we went to bed and then we'd see them at breakfast. So many activities from beach volleyball, to game shows to sing alongs.

Hope this review helps when deciding on whether or not to go to Couples Tower Isle. Just ask yourself what type of vacation you are looking for....

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 2 November 2009
Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle - we are so happy you had a great time. And we love to hear that you brought friends with you. Please be sure to sign up for romance rewards before your next stay so we can give you even more perks for your return visits. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
New York
Reviewed 28 October 2009

The staff at Tower Isle is what makes this resort a vacation to be cherished. My husband and I honeymooned there 25 years ago when it was COR and just recently returned from celebrating our 25th anniversary. Although the resort has undergone a major renovation the concept has remained the same-every care and concern is addressed and the staff is extremely attentive. Even though my husband was ill for one day of our trip the staff went above and beyond tending to him. We met many "couples" - majority are honeymooners. My only regret is we were only there for 4 nights-not long enough. We'll make it at for at least a week next time and won't wait 25 years.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 30 October 2009
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle, formeraly Couples Ocho Rios. We are so happy you enjoyed the changes and still felt like you were coming home, thanks to the awesome staff there. During the renovation we actually kept staff on payroll to be sure they would come back and take great care of the new and repeat guests. Be sure to register for romance rewards for your next return so we can give you perks for your return stays. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We just returned from our trip to Couples and have to say it was one of our best trips ever. We've been to AI's in Mexico 15+ times in the last 10 years and none of our experiences there have even come close to the food and service we experienced at Couples. All the restaurants were outstanding...I even convinced my husband to try the veggie bar and we ended up eating lunch there almost every day. And the (included) room service was fantastic. What better way to start your day than waking up to a tray of Blue Mountain coffee, pastries and mouth watering fresh fruit. All while sitting on our private balcony overlooking the ocean. Wow.

The included activities also surpassed anything we've experienced before at AI's before. We figured out which days the cruise ships docked and then planned our Dunn's River and horsebacking riding trips on the "off days". When we arrived at Dunn's River we realized it wasn't a requirement to hike it with a guide (and holding hands with everyone). We just walked to the bottom and hiked up, having the Falls virtually to ourselves! The horseback riding was also a wonderful experience not to be missed. The guides were very knowledgeable and fun to talk with. Catamarin cruise was also a great experience. Very friendly staff (and bottomless rum punch!) and the cove where we stopped to swim was idyllic!

We were also able to dive almost every day of our trip. If you plan on diving, make sure you bring your log. We've been diving for 20 years and brought our cards, but not our logs. Because we didn't have them, we had to do a skills test in the pool before they would let us sign up for the following day. Not a huge deal, but it would have been unnecessary had we brought our logs. We had two different divemasters...Collin and 'Rasta' :-). Rasta was our man for pointing out things we would have otherwise missed. Collin is just one of those people that makes an impression on you for the rest of your life. We'll go back just to see him!

And as far as that goes, I could go on and on about the staff...they are truly the heart and soul of this resort and what made our trip "over the top". Everyone was so friendly and everything was so easy! No problem, mon!

We will definitely be back at Couples in the near future!

3 Thank 4boymom
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 22 October 2009
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. Since the re-opening in April, the reviews have been amazing and most of them focus on the staff. I will be sure to pass your accolades to them - its such a great perk for them to know how much they influence your vacation. We are thrilled to learn that you took FULL advantage of our amazing inclusions - scuba, horseback riding, dunn's river falls and catamaran boat ride. WOW, sounds like a great trip. Be sure to register for romance rewards, so we can reward you for your return stays.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
wildcat41
Reviewed 19 October 2009

This resort is really beautiful! It is very clean and has been newly remodelled. It has a private beach which I love. No, you can't take long walks on the beach, but the great thing about it is that there are no vendors wandering onto the beach to bug you. The staff here is wonderful - they keep the property looking great - it seems like there is one staff member for every guest! But, back to the beach... there are plenty of chairs on the beach and nice palm trees to give shade if you prefer to lay in the shade. There is of course wait staff to bring you drinks while you lay on the beach. There are two floats anchored in the ocean for the guests to lay on - that was really fun! There are two lovely pools - one with a swim up bar. My only complaint is the location of our room - we were too close to the evening entertainment - it sounded like it was right in our room. On Fridays and Saturdays, the entertainment lasted until midnight, all other nights 11pm I think. Anyway, there were a few nights that we just wanted to go to bed early, but I could not sleep because it was too loud! Other than that, I would say this is a great resort. The Bayside and 8 Rivers restaurants are very good! We also enjoyed the buffet - you can try a variety of local foods there. Also, if you come to this resort, consider doing the Dunn's River Falls hike - yes, you hike up a waterfall. You climb up the same slippery rocks that the water is rushing down. Scary, but fun! A real experience! I have to mention that the drinks here are very weak - the beer is near beer - lower alcohol content than in the US. And the liquor is watered down or something - they do offer top shelf though. They do not have a wine list. They have a chardonnay, a merlot, etc. No selection though.

5 Thank wildcat41
chitownshandi, director of sales and makreting at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 20 October 2009
Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are so excited about the $30M renovation and from your review it seems as though you appreciated the improvements. I too love the scalloped beaches of Ocho Rios - just enough space and no distracting vendors. I will contact the operations team regarding beer and liquor, next time be sure to ask for a floater or additional alcohol to taste - its all included so its no problem mon :) Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!