“Everything fabulous, but where is entertainment staff?”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 23 November 2009

My husband and I were at CTI the last week in October. The remodel is gorgeous. Honestly, our room was beautiful, housekeeping tip top, the food was unbelievable and the grounds lush. What a little paradise and all the staff (other than entertainment) is so very nice.

However, this was our third time to this resort and we have always been surprised at the apathy of the entertainment staff. Really, other than Marlon- who was great by the way- the entertainment staff was rarely around and we did not see them, or experience them, make an effort to get to know guests. In fact, it was the other way around...we observed guests trying to engage the entertainment staff. Just interesting....

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caribbeantravelgirl
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2009

Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled you enjoyed your vacation and are a repeater - that is such an amazing compliment. I will be sure to ask our resort management about entertainment staffing. Couples Resorts tend to be less 'in your face" and more "readily available'. Meaning, there are activities and staff for socialization functions, but their approach is soft and friendly as not to be abrupt or obtrusive and interfering with the romantic environment.
Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,189)

Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed here for my honeymoon and my Husband and I loved it! I agree with chgofireman, Byron is great, but I would have to disagree with the other stuff mentioned. Maybe because we stayed in suites on the other side of the resort we were not exposed to mold and foam. We had a garden view. The balcony was huge. I think we had the largest balcony on our side. The jacuzzi tub was awesome too. The bed was too firm for my liking,but I called for extra pillows and they were delivered as promise. Housekeeping was wonderful. The shower pressure could use some improvement.

The entire staff at CTI actually has great personalities and the customer service is exceptional!

The food was good and I gained a good 5 pounds! The Chef provided a variety of Jamaican dishes every day. We arrived on the 9th and left on the 16th. I will be honest by Saturday and Sunday I was disappointed in the buffet, but we enjoyed the buffet better than the restaurants that you had to have reservations for. I really enjoyed the staff at the patio dining. Andre and Travis immediately came to take our empty plates and our glasses were never empty whether it was water or a drink from the bar.

The resort itself was very nice. The grounds were kept clean. The floor is waxed very well. I would slip every day walking on them. Thank God my Husband was there to support me ;-)

The excursions are actually free. I didnt really enjoy the Glass Bottom Boat. I did this excursion in St. Maarteen and it was actually a boat we went down into and the entire boat was glass including the sides and you could see everything not just the bottom of the boat and you could hardly see a thing like at CTI. But everything else was awesome!

Not sure how the night life was. We were on our honeymoon so by 9pm were in our suite ;-)

I would say that this was $2200 well spent!!! Kay with Elite Travel did not steer us wrong!

1  Thank TClardy1107
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are so happy that you enjoyed your vacation there and were able to experience the romantic and inclusive options that make Couples different. In addition, our staff, many have been there for a long time and have numerous shout outs on TA and the couples message board. Be sure to register for romance rewards our loyalty program before you come back. Thanks again, we look forward to welcome you home again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2009

We spent our 20th wedding anniversary at Couples Tower Isle from 10/31/09 – 11/6/09. Let me just say that this was the best vacation we ever had! Couples Tower Isle far exceeded our expectations and we didn’t want to leave. We were in block 2 room # 2107 (ocean jr. suite) that had everything! It was very spacious with a stocked mini-bar, seating area, walk-in closet, Jacuzzi tub, garden shower, and balcony overlooking the main pool and ocean. Housekeeping was great and everything was always very clean. All of the staff were unbelievable. We have never felt so welcomed and treated so friendly at any establishment. The staff went out of their way for everyone. We have to mention Damion who works at the island (a fun experience!), Kirk (we think was his name) who greets and gives everyone a warm welcome at the lobby and the entertainment staff was awesome. The facilities are all newly renovated and there was always something to do. There are tons of activities that are included but there just wasn’t enough time to do everything! The beach had powdery, clean sand and there was never any lack of chairs or cushions. And the food…..All we can say is fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! We are picky eaters but have never eaten so much and so good in our lives. We did a trading places with Couples San Sauci for a day and, for us, it just didn’t compare. Couples Tower Isle was perfect for us. We met a lot of nice couples and we still can’t stop talking about our trip and can’t wait to go back soon. We are recommending Couples Tower Isle to everyone!

1  Thank PalmTreeSeekers

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary, we are thrilled you decided to celebrate with us. Your review was great and really spoke to the new amenities since the renovation as well as the staff that have been there through it all. Your recognition is very appreciated. It reads like you signed up for romance rewards already, since you went to CSS through "trading spaces". In that case, thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts

Reviewed 18 November 2009

This place is awful! It's more like a MOTEL 6 with cafeteria food!

Let me start by saying the staff is AWSOME! From the moment you get greeted by Byron you feel like family. The dive guys(collin, rastaman, david)are THE BEST!!! Let me repeat THE STAFF IS AWSOME!!

Now for the real facts, I know I'm going to get ALOT of people mad but PLEASE prove me wrong for what I'm going to say. For a $30 million rehab it must of been in Jamaica dollars, because I just didn't see it. First off walk down the hallway into the #3 wing and look at the crown molding and what do you see MOLD that's right MOLD. Look above room 3107 and you can see MOLD, I'm sorry but MOLD shouldn't be anywhere after $30 million! Keep walking down the hallway and you will see a white foamy substance oozing from the bottom of the wall, the staff would try to wipe it up everyday but it just kept coming back. Then you get to the elevator. The outside is TRASHED, not even a coat of pant to hide the marks from 30 years of being banged by the carts. Inside the elevator the back board has marks and dents in it that are older than me. I mean come on, how hard would it of been to put a new $5 piece of wood to make it look nice. Now you get to the room and look in the bathroom and no tub. I KNOW THEY TOOK ALL THE TUBS OUT. So now you have to take a shower with NO SHOWER CURTAIN, and NO rise in the tile to keep the water in the shower area so the water floods the bathroom. SMART! So now you have to take your towels and put them on the floor to soak up the water. And CTI wants you to conserve water and the such by trying to reuse towels. IT'S PRETTY HARD TO REUSE TOWELS WHEN YOU HAVE TO PUT THEM ALL ON THE FLOOR TO SOAK UP THE WATER. By the way I could pee faster than the water was coming out of the showerhead. We had the 3rd floor, I hate to see what it was like on floor 4 & 5.

Now for the food. This is the FIRST vacation in my life that I have LOST weight instead of gaining a few pounds. The BREAKFAST buffet is something else:(. All I can say is that for 9 days all I had for breakfast was frosted flakes. That's pretty sad considering we spent $4200. The food was bland and dry. The omelette station was good but that was all. The sausage was "different" the waffles were "different" just a weird taste to them. So me and the wife ordered room service for breakfast which was only a continental breakfast. Again that sucks when your paying that kind of $. LUNCH is another headache. We lived on nacho and cheese because GOD FORBID you have one of those "SPAMBURGERS". Hamburger my [--]! DINNER was hit or miss. If the resort is running at maybe %50 you will have a good dinner anything greater than that and forget it. AGAIN THE STAFF IS AWSOME! But food quality starts to lack and be prepared to have a 2 hour dinner. I realize that the staff can only work with what they have food wise but ALOT of it is pretty bad. The only thing that was OUTSTANDING was the cheesecake! But I didn't spend $$$ to eat ONLY cheesecake on vacation.

The rooms have not really been remodeled, they have the same bedding and OLD furniture, just look on Trip Advisor at photos of the place "before" the renovation. They for sure used a lot of paint on the place, but that's about it. It is far from being anything close to a 5 star resort. Typically when paying that kind of money, a resort will have 24/7 room service, and offer all "hot" food. Not here, breakfast only and it's continental.
The island is a waste, you can only go there if you
want to show the world all your stuff. It would be nice if "all" could enjoy it. Say nude Monday, Wed. and Friday, and everyone the rest of the days.
Really sad for a resort that is making a lot of money, from having staff that does not get paid, yep you read that right. Take a look at the staff, if they are in Black/white uniforms, look at the name tag, if it says "Student Exp." that means the hotel has hired them on for one month, with no pay to "see how they work out" at the end of the month, they can possibly be offered a position, or the hotel can just say, sorry it didnt work out and they got a fee month of labor, and we noticed that the "free" enployees were very often working double shifts.
Althuogh there is a no tipping policy, it would be nice if the "free" employees got tips. They spend money for transpostation to and from work, and still make nothing, really sad.
Also do not plan on taking any of the Craft classes that the resort lists on the daily activities, they do not exist, One day there was an outside vendor who was doing jewelry making aside from her vendor booth, other than that nothing, the day of the "hat making CLASS" there was a very nice vendor who would make you a hat out of palm branches for $10. No basket making, ect. as the schedule states. I even asked guest services about this and the beginning of our stay, and they said they would speak to the entertainment staff about it, 10 days passed and still nothing.
Please realise that this review is based on our perception of the type of quality we consider as good. And what we usually get in the same price catagory.
We did post this same review on the Couples Chat Board, but I doubt the moderator will post it.

8  Thank chgofireman

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We have become accustomed to meeting and surpassing the expectations of our guests and as a result we are usually very disappointed when dissatisfaction is expressed with any aspect of the resort’s operations. We have reviewed the comments and we are familiar with your reservation and concerns. Our resolution to relocate you, during your vacation, to a different Couples Resort or even a non-Couples resorts, was refused. This unfortunately left us no further opportunities to try and salvage your vacation. Sincerely,

Reviewed 17 November 2009

We had read many reviews before travelling to Tower Island, and I’ve got to say they where all smack on with the comments on the staff. We have travelled many places and we both think that the staff are the friendliest we have ever come across on our travels. I found Nicolette and Tanesha (bar staff) excellent and they where always happy to serve. Delroy from the beach was a joy to see in the mornings and was always happy to make the beach look wonderful each day.

I had problems with the hotel hair dryer but it was fixed by the time I got back to my room that afternoon. I also needed a transformer/converter for my GHD stylers which the hotel kindly allowed me to use theirs (they have about 4 so first come first served I think) the 240V was too much!! It worked with the converter but I felt it was a little risky as it smelt like wire burning!

We went on the horse back riding, the Dunns River Falls and also the catamaran excursion, and we loved them all, Including the Margaretavile night were my other half throw himself down the pool slide and came to a very drunken splash.

We even tried the island which was a first time experience for both of us and at first it was a little scary for me but after a few cocktails I was much more at ease and we spent the rest of the days tanning around the pool. We met some really nice people over there and found them much friendlier than across the main resort. If Greg and Jenifer read this I would like to say congratulations on your wedding and the flowers lasted the rest of the week thanks and nice to meet you both. Also Thanks Tim for the leaving gift.

Overall we really enjoyed it and we spent two weeks there. The food was lovely but became a little predictable in the end. You can do as much or as little as you want and we took the relaxing option. We may go back to see the staff again and enjoy the Jamaican feel and want to say thanks to you all for a good time.

1  Thank Debbie L
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. After a $30Million dollar renovation, we are so proud that you had a great 2 week vacation stay here. I was impressed that you took the "relax" style vacation yet tried all the exclusive amenities like horseback riding and Dunn's River Falls and catamaran ride. That's exactly why we include them - you never know when you want to try something. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts

Reviewed 15 November 2009

When we arrived at TI, we thought we had landed in paradise. A side note, if you're thinking of taking the TimAir flight from MoBay to Ocho Rios, skip it unless you just want to see the scenery from the air. $435/pp R/T and we got there about 15 minutes before the rest of the people on our flight who took the free shuttle.

The bathtub in the room was great, but not nearly as large as the pictures made it out to be (Ocean Jr. Suite). Not big enough for two to relax in. The other problem is that it would not drain. So we called maintenance, who drained out the standing water, but did not fix the problem. Called maintenance again, same thing. After four times, they finally just took the stopper out and no baths for the rest of the trip. Well, I guess that solved the initial problem.

The staff was hit and miss. Byron, who is out front and usually the first person you see when you arrive, is AMAZING! The friendliest person we met in Jamaica. If I ever decide to give this hotel another chance, he would be one of the main reasons. Meet him for one minute and he will remember your name, room # and what you like to drink. The social directors were great, and did their best to break ice when they could. But on the flipside, the lady at the currency exchange booth was awful. She seemed to be very annoyed that we would dare interrupt her daydreaming to do some work. Then she told us that we could only get $100 worth of Jamaican Dollars and wasn't the least bit helpful with any other suggestions. The staff at the all-night pool grill could use a little Red Bull maybe. They're very bleary eyed, busy chatting with the rest of the night-shift employees that occupy the counter seats, and really made us feel like an intrudance on their evening.

According to the website, the stated policy of couples is that tips are included and that no tipping is allowed. That's true to a point. Yes, the staff doesn't expect tipping outright, but they are fast to try to sell you things on the side. I had a bartender who would constantly try to get me to buy Cuban cigars from him, and typically at a higher price than I could have gotten them elsewhere. I finally gave in and bought one, which fueled him on. I finally stopped going to that particular bar if I saw he was working. Another problem I ran into was when I was scuba diving. I decided to check out a wetsuit for two of my dives, since we were going deep and it can get cold, even in the Caribbean. When we got back from the second dive, the dive guide informed me that there is a $10 per dive charge for the wetsuits. Nowhere was this posted on the price list for extra items not included with the resort. I didn't mind the charge too much, so fine, I'll pick up the charge. But at an all-inclusive resort, who carries cash, especially when the resort is "cashless"? I told them to fill out a voucher and just charge it to my room. I was given the dirtiest look I had seen on the island and told "Mon, go upstairs and get some cash," and that they would be "waiting for me." I don't mind making a little tip on the side, but I'll be damned if I am going to have an employee ORDER me to get some cash for him. The watersports manager was in the room when this was going on, so I guess no point asking for the manager. I wrote a letter to Couples corporate office regarding it, which was ignored as was the note I left for the hotel manager.

The food was good, but the service was, in a word, S....L....O....W.... I can understand if it's a crowded restaurant and they are understaffed. However, we were one of four tables seated at the restaurant and even then, the meal took over two hours to get through. Maybe I'm not used to island time, but I would rather eat and leave than to wait thirty minutes between courses at a restaurant.

The building seemed nice with it's recent renovations, however, they must not have paid much attention to the building's electrical systems. We had power failures DAILY at the hotel. Wasn't a matter of if, but when we would lose power that day. Of course, one of the many power failures would have to be while we were in the elevator, trapping us inside. Once they got it working again, they simply shrugged as if to say "Oh well, what can we do?" If it's a problem in the building wiring, get it fixed. If this is a problem in the pwoer company lines, maybe a backup power generator? Or at least give us alarm clocks that do not reset with a power failure causing us to oversleep a booked excursion?

All in all, it was a good resort, but these things just grinded on me and really brought the trip down. We will definately return to Jamaica, as we loved the island, but I think we'll try another resort next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dsb8920
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Our honeymoon at the Couples Tower Isle was amazing! The staff and service is terrific. Good food, fun activities, great location to attractions and beautiful! We did a lot of research on Jamaica and different resorts before deciding on Couples Tower Isle. The reviews always said the staff was great and they were right! We will definitely be back again. We had a perfect honeymoon!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2009

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. First - congratulations on your nuptials - we are thrilled you chose us for this very special vacation. Be sure to register for Romance Rewards before your next stay so we can reward you for our loyalty. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!