“Ahhhh.... finally what we are looking for”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Great time -- first time to Jamaica and loved it. Would definately go back. Hotel was great! Read numerous reviews prior to booking and all were great - none of them let me down.

Didn't like that we couldn't tip - there is a strict no tipping rule at this hotel. They all deserved big tips though. Tip for anyone going - bring tip money for outside the resort. Once you leave the resort, you will need to tip your bus drivers and tour guides, I didn't know this until I got there. $3-$5 USD was given to each. This applied even to the excursions that were offered by the hotel. I am sure that you could not tip, but most on the bus were. There were people that felt bad, as they didn't bring any money with them, but had they known they would have left something.

Would definately recommend this place to anyone that would listen to me. Nice mix of age groups. Lots to do it you wanted to do some activities, and if you preferred to do nothing - it was quite enough to enjoy that too. The staff were fantastic! Can't say enough good things!

You're missing out if you don't stay here.

Cheers,
Stouffville ON

3  Thank alysha420
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2010

Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled you were able to enjoy this resorts recent $30 Million renovation during its first year of being reopened. The staff accolades are amazing and they are thrilled to know they are making such a positive impact on the guests stays. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts

Write a ReviewReviews (3,184)

Reviewed 22 March 2010

I have nothing but good things to say about my stay at this hotel. Me and my fiance are young (in our late and mid 20s) and were a little worried that a lot of the couples would be older like in their late 50s and 60s. However there is a good mix of older and younger couples here and there is something for everyone.
We chose Couples Tower Isle because we wanted a quiet, relaxing vacation and that is exactly what we got.

Trip from the airport: As soon as we landed and went through immigration we were shown to the Couples Lounge where we handed off our bags and were offered a drink. We told one of the employees we were starving and they walked outside with us so we could buy a Jamaican patty which was delicious. We waited no longer than 15 minutes then were walked out to the bus which would take us to the hotel. The driver and the porter do not work for the hotel so we tipped them each $1. The drive to the hotel was great and the driver pointed out many different landmarks to us on the way. We did not stop for food or a break as it was late (around 8) and I think everyone just wanted to get to the hotel.

Arrival: we got there and were greeted with smiles, a cold towel and drinks. We signed in and were shown to our room by a VERY friendly guy. Amazing. No problems here at all.

Our room: we got an ocean view room and it was very beautiful. Our view was amazing and the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore was to die for. The bathroom is small but cozy. No major complains here.

Activities: they have an orientation everyday which is informative if you choose to go. The guide shows you around the hotel and explains the restaurants and which ones require reservations, etc. He showed us the grounds and made us feel very welcome. There are a lot of activities to take advantage of, most of which are free. My fiance was worried that this vacation would be similar to the vacation on the movie "Couples Retreat" and we would be forced to do daily activities. It was nothing like that. You can do as much as you want or as little as you want. They offer snorkeling which we did. Lots of fun. Scuba diving, kayaking, a number of other watersports, horse back riding, Margaritivalle club trip on Monday nights, catamaran cruise, shopping in Ocho Rios, Dunns river falls and some other things. There is also an activities board that lays out all the activities everyday if you are interested.

Nude beach: we did not venture onto the nude beach but we spoke to some people who did and they said its very relaxing. It is far enough away from the main hotel so no body parts are visible; you only see outlines.

Spa: the spa was amazing. The staff is very friendly and the massage we got was great. I read that a reviewer said they felt like it was just an oily rub down. This was the complete opposite of my experience, my masseuse applied just the right amount of pressure. If you want more pressure you can let them know and they are happy to oblige.

Tipping: I saw absolutely no evidence of tipping expectations anywhere. The waiters were great and didnt even linger around to make you think they wanted a tip. The same goes for the baggage handlers. The bartenders served me as soon as I walked up. And as far as the servers walking on the beach, they were extremely efficient and kept my glass filled with no questions.

Food: selection was great. A great balance of Jamaican ethnic foods as well as burgers and fries etc for those who want something familiar to choose from. The dessert selection was huge. There was something different everyday at the buffet and we stayed there for an entire week. They even offer a free cooking class if you want to know how to duplicate at home.

The only thing that I would say I think could be a little different was the fact that the glass bottom boat only went out once a day at 9:30. We are young and like to sleep in late :) so we had to get up early enough to get something to eat in order to make it down to the beach to go on the boat at 9:30. I wish they had at least one other session later down in the afternoon. That to me is minor however and the good outweighs any bad.

Me and my fiance have traveled all over the world - other hotels in Jamaica, Canada, Amsterdam, Paris, Germany and many other places. This hotel was one of the best I have ever been to. I think those who found that their stay was "terrible" perhaps went around looking for things to complain about. It is truly paradise and we've already started saving so we can go back next year.

4  Thank sun_and_sea1
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the recently renovated resort - since it was your first time there I'm sure it was just as impressive as those returning from years past. You are right, some activities are scheduled earlier than I like to get up for too, like they say, ya snooze ya lose :) which is just fine with me when I am on vacation too. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2010

Couples Tower Isle Review 12/19-12/26

Travel/Flights:
Our Flights were awful...I (only in a small way) blame Couples because I booked everything through their website and we didn't have nearly enough time to make a connection in a midwest winter. Besides that, travel was mainly the fault of United Airlines and the weather. It took us 36 hours to get there and 36 hours to get home. We were without our luggage in Jamaica for 3 days...BRING A ROLLING CARRY-ON WITH SWIMSUIT AND CHANGE OF CLOTHES JUST IN CASE! That was the only thing that saved us.

Couples did mess up our shuttle back to the airport, they had us on the wrong van but they made up for it by calling us a taxi to take us the airport directly instead of having to stop at other resorts.

Food:
I really liked the food at nearly every meal and my wife was a little more wishy-washy because she was not a big fan of the jerk seasonings/sauces and things were a little spicier than she wanted. I really liked everything including Bayside (which seems to get mixed reviews). The buffets were good every day and we had many good meals.

The bad...at some point near the last day of our trip, my wife got salmonella poisoning which made our travel home very uncomfortable. I won't get into all the details but we're not sure what she ate and Couples (for understandable legal reasons) won't take credit for it but THE RESORT DID MAKE A NICE GESTURE TO US AND WE ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATED IT.

The Resort/Hotel:
The resort is really quite beautiful although if you are looking for the lush tropical paradise, you may want to go elsewhere because this resort is a little more "hotelish" which was great for having a bunch of rainy days because we didn't have to walk as much outdoors to get from spot to spot. The buffet is all open air and is great for the entertainment and all of the decor is really quite stunning.

Room:
We paid for the best room you could get below a suite. With all of our travel problems, we weren't in the best mood and the view from our room was of a giant tree. We requested that our room be switched and when we got back from breakfast, there was a guy in the tree lopping 6 feet off the top with employees standing below asking us how our view was now...IT WAS GREAT!!! I thought it would be easier to just move our room but hey, whatever works.

Entertainment / Bars:
We usually sat down for the main entertainment each night because it was really good. There were everything from steel drums (awesome) to a DJ Dance Party. We didn't do a ton of nightlife (too tired) but the piano bar seemed to have a good/fun crowd every night and you could always get a good drink wherever you wanted. We liked getting a bunch of beers to take to a hot tub or pool with friends so the range of nightlife is whatever you want it to be.

The Staff:
9.5/10 staff members you will meet are amazingly nice helpful people. Of course you're going to meet a few that rub you the wrong way (the reason for the .5) but the staff really make your vacation memorable. They are like summer camp counselors and remember you day to day and are always trying to get you to do watersports, dance lessons, or something like that...great fun.

Watersports/Activities:
It rained for 4 of our 6 days so when the weather got nice, we just soaked up the rays. Some friends we met and kept in touch with did many activities and they said it was great so we'll take their word for it. My wife did do some waterskiing and that was a lot of fun.

The Spa:
The spa is great...I did an hour massage and it was very relaxing. The facilities there are great...2 hottubs, the "buddah" pool, steam room, showers and all of those are available to all guests for free. There is also a smoothie bar there with fresh fruit drinks.

The Island:
One of the greatest experiences of our lives thus far. With the weather, we couldn't even try it out until the end of our trip and we basically spent all the nice days there. If you want to party, there's people to party with, if you want to relax, there's spots to relax. It is impossible to explain how not to be nervous about it so all i'll say that you're missing out if you don't try it at least once. The boat goes back and forth constantly so if you don't like it, you're not stuck there all day.

Conclusion:
I think if you take the travel delays and weather out of the equation our trip would have been completely different and I can't fault the resort for those things. The salmonella, however, is something that my wife can't forget and even though Couples made a very nice gesture, she is still hesitant to commit to a return trip. We had a really nice time despite all of those things and it was a very romantic and special place. Personally, I would love to go back (hopefully with good weather this time) so that we can do more of the activities that are offered.

Because I feel that the food problem was an exception and not the rule, I wholeheartedly recommend Couples Tower Isle because the people there are great, the beach and the island are wonderful, and even with all the problems, my wife and I still had an amazing time together and I want other couples to have that to and I think Couples Tower Isle can make that happen.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank donjohnson70
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We stayed 4 nights at Couples Tower Isle in the basic Garden view room. The room was better in person than in pictures and we actually enjoyed the view of the gardens from our balcony (a lot of bird watching to be done here!). We had a king size bed, shower (no bathtub), large closet, flat screen television and beautifully tiled floors. Housekeeping came through twice a day, once to clean the room and second to provide turn down service. The first day our room was decked out in fresh flowers and animals made from towels. The second evening we were surprised with champagne and cheeses. And even on our last night there, new yellow flowers appeared on our bed.

Our favorite places to eat were the Patio (buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner), 8 Rivers (requires reservations immediately when you get there) and the Veggie Bar (located next to the ocean). We were not impressed by Bayside, the Asian-Fusion restaurant, although the atmosphere rivaled all of the other locations, the food was lacking in quality and authenticity. The Verandah restaurant does not take reservations, but it is a sit-down dinner with limited seating. We had to wait 40 minutes to get a table and found the food mediocre, with dessert being the best part. Management may want to consider making the Verandah require reservations as to avoid guests waiting around for tables.

I want to suggest getting the continental breakfast delivered to your room. We decided to do this twice and absolutely loved the prompt service and the luxury of sitting outside in the morning with our coffee, juice, fruit and croissants. I would only hope Couples Tower Isle extends this menu for a few more options (for example: yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, etc.). The pool-side grill is decent, but we mostly went here for the self-serve soft ice cream.

We never felt obligated to tip. I was a bit concerned after reading a few reviews about this, but we did not experience anything of the sort once at the resort. The only tips we gave were for the drivers that took us between the airport and the resort, and the crew that carried our bags to the driver at the airport (they are not Couples employees). Also some staff was absolutely incredible, while others were not as attentive or seemed downright miserable. With that said, it is very important to fill out the customer satisfaction survey Couples provides at the end of your stay. This is where you can specify the staff members that made your trip extra special. Change can only happen if there is a reason for it, so make sure to say something!

The beach is where we spent the majority of our time. We went to the little island once and really enjoyed the ocean life surrounding it as well as the spectacular views. There were always chairs available at the main beach, even for late comers like us who weren't there until noon. Although there are not parasols, there are enough palm trees and other trees/buildings to seek out some shade. Also, we were never without a drink from the bar from the beach staff. Even an hour before we left, we lounged just above the sand and the waiter working there offered us smoothies to commemorate the end of our trip.

We were pleasantly surprised by the entertaining nightlife they had in the evenings. At the patio there was a live band every night with some of the performers blowing us away with their talent. The staff also hosted daytime beach/pool volleyball, dances and bingo as well as nighttime games, karaoke and movies. Something seemed to be happening somewhere and all you had to do was stumble upon it.

There are two hammocks in the garden and we definitely took advantage of lounging in them in the evening to gaze at the stars. The spa offers two steam rooms, two hot tubs and a cooling pool to enjoy at your convenience without reservations and without additional fees. I recommend checking these out especially if there is afternoon rain since the hot tubs are covered. After enjoying these relaxing activities you can grab a fresh smoothie and lounge around in the area or walk around the grounds.

Our goals were to relax, rejuvenate and spend quality time together. Couples Tower Isle afforded us the opportunity to do just that and really forget about everything else. We felt like we were on our own special island. I am very curious about the other Couples resorts, so while we enjoyed our stay here, if we return to Jamaica we'll most likely check out one of the other Couples resorts.

2  Thank Furared
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My wife and I booked our Honeymoon to Jamaica. We went to Mexico the year prior and thought it would be hard to beat. We were wrong, we experienced the best trip at Couples Tower Isle. We could not believe our luck on this trip. From getting on the plane which was full we managed to have no one sit next to us in the adjacent seat. We arrived and had a very easy check in and went to our room. We booked a Garden View room and ended up in a room with a view of a bay. During the night, we would turn off the AC and open the patio doors, close the curtains and sleep like babies listening to the waves crashing on the sea wall. The staff are the best, they treat you like friends. I reflect back to Mexico and remember feeling like the staff resented me. In Jamaica, the staff love their job and if they do not they should receive an Academy Award for Best Actor. I experienced one staff that was a dink in the dive shop but did not ruin my time. The food was awesome, plenty to eat and a variety of ethnic foods. Dunn’s River was very fun, expect to be escorted through a crazy village of peddlers upon your return to the bus. Take your camera and give it to your guide, he will take pictures of you and give him a tip. The video camera guy charges $40.00 for a video. One of our friends decided not to buy it so the guy told them he would give it to them for $30.00, so maybe you should try this? We went alone to the resort and met two couples that we are now planning another trip to Jamaica with next year. The spa was awesome, we received a couples massage and loved it! I did not like the bed, it was a little too firm, we took the comforter and slept on it and ordered a light blanket to cover up with. I could go on forever, great place, one bad staff experience, 100 great staff experiences. And oh yea when we flew back, we were in row 5 behind 1st class with all of the extra leg room!

4  Thank BellCopterJockey

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. In my opinion, the flight seating might have been luck, but the resort experience was not. We strive to produce reviews like yours, with compelling experiences that you could not get anywhere else. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
PS - Thanks for the picture of the continental breakfast on the balcony, I have been anxious to see what that looks like. Lovely.

Reviewed 17 March 2010

This hotel is literally our favorite place in the world. We discovered it 5 years ago on our honeymoon, and have just booked our 2010 summer holiday there (our 4th visit in 5 years!). It is truly a home away from home.
Our visit in 2009 was amazing. The hotel has been refurbished, and the decor is clean and crisp.
There is a new swim up bar, new gym, with loads of the old features retained.
On a negative side, there was no sign of the fabulous garden hammocks, but we are hoping these will be back by our visit this year. The squash courts were also gone, but the tennis courts with lessons from the fabulous Colin are still there.
There are 3 "waiter served" restaurants - Meditteranean, Asian and Jamaica, as well as the main buffet restaurant. In addition there is the grill (for late night snacks) and the veggie grill.
To say that the staff are friendly is an understatement. You are probly thinking "what is this woman gushing about"! But honestly they cant do enough for you.
The hotel is the ultimate All Inclusive. As well as all drinks (including branded drinks), all food, it also includes water sports (diving and snorkelling), free horse riding, free trips - shopping and Dunn's River Falls.
Golf is also included - Green Fees paid for you. (take clubs or pay to hire - also caddy is mandatory and you pay for that bit)
There is a complementary sunset cruise with drinks included - the freebies just keep coming!! In addition we have never stayed there without recieving unexpected freebies - fruit plates, champagne, chocs, spa treatments, drink bottles, vouchers for the shop - obviously not all in one stay, but its just amazing!
They have a fabulous new spa - will defo book some treaments again this year -
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rodfi
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2010

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are gushing after reading your review - thanks. Its seems as though there were many things you loved about the renovation such as the spa, a few things you miss such as the garden and a few things that stayed the same that you appreciated - complimentary excursions and amazing staff. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home soon.
Andi Conway,

Reviewed 14 March 2010

Feb. 5th through the 14th.
Arrived in Jamaica on Feb. 3rd, and had spent two very quite nights in the mountains, transferred over on our own to CTI, so no comments on the airport lounge or bus ride to the resort.
Check in was very smooth and a warm gracious welcome from a beaming smile, Byron. We were the only couple checking in, cool towels, champagne, and our room was ready (2 pm), whisked away and in our beautiful superior ocean view room, 3328. Comfy king size bed with nice plush pillows. Small walk-in closet with a safe. Small bathroom, but sufficient, nice tiled shower, (no tub), one problem, water didn’t drain well, instead ended up on the bathroom floor, no problem though. We had a large balcony that overlooked the swim up bar pool area (directly beneath us), a good view of the ocean and island. Felt we had a great location, and view.
We had plenty of time the first afternoon, to hit the beach and check the place out.
We are CN lovers, so we had some comparing to do…..with that said, our first impression wasn’t good. Felt it was too upscale, south beach feeling, we wanted the tropical, Jamaica feel we have grown to love at CN, but we knew we had to give the Grand Lady a chance.
First stop the Dive shop; dropped off our PADI information so we could be on the first dive in the morning. We met Collin, and Lloyd (Rasta) and David. Ok, this place is good; those guys were just the best. Couldn’t wait for our diving.
Food; Buffet plenty of options, large fresh salad bar, hot food options, with fish daily as well as local flare, usually a pasta dish, and of course the large, large dessert bar. Beach Grill, selection of burgers, fries, chicken sandwich and always nachos. Verandah was excellent. Nice option, no reservation needed, menu service, décor and setting is very beautiful, with a nice menu. 8-Rivers, reservation required (ate twice here and did not have a problem getting in) was excellent as well. Had two dinners here, and both were amazing. BaySide, was our favorite, can not beat the location, waves crashing, stars shining, and the fresh sea air surrounding you. The food was just amazing as well, Asian with some nice elegant flare to it. So I will give it up to CTI for the food, the private dining is superior.
Island; oh, what a great experience. The beauty of the island will draw you in, the freedom of the island and peace we found will encompass you. Have to shout out to who drove our little islander to and from, and Ricardo, and Damion, and Terry!!!
There are plenty of loungers, and spots to be alone on the island, and there is plenty of socializing and fun to be had around the swim up bar, and pool.
Daily routine began to unfold, would order( room service continental breakfast available) our blue mountain coffee and pastries, sit on our wonderful view of the sea, enjoy the spirit of the resort waking up, and listen to the sounds of peace, and clear our minds and bodies. After, our peace in the morning, we would head down to the dive shop…for what would be the best part of everyday
Our trip was truly made by the wonderful dive staff!!! Every day we had the true excitement of seeing Lloyd and David, (only dove twice with Collin), who would have our dive gear ready and waiting. Now the dive boat had some issues, so we had to make due with the glass bottom boat, but the dive crew never made it an issue for us, it was clearly more work for them. Off we went to reef after reef for nine days. The full professionalism and charm of these two guys made our mornings; such adventures. I just can’t say enough. We have to give CTI dive staff the big gold star.
The grand lady gives beautiful walks on the newly poured concrete and shell pathways, while providing elegance at any glance; from the crisp white hip swim up bar, to the sheik retro furnishings in the main entrance and lobby. Followed by the many options to eat, or drink (which were all top shelf liquor for us, never an issue, champagne for me, good vodka for my hubby), wonder mango-pineapple-soy-fruit smoothies, plethora of options at the buffet, and of course plenty of hummingbirds after diving.
We will always love CN, because it’s our Couples first love, but CTI gave us that wonderful Couple vacation, with no, no complaints.
And oh, for the Tripadvisor review…we never felt pressured to tip anyone!!! And we could not see the naked people from the main resort, hmmm, because, we were one of them. Relax! All is Irie.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarbDetroit
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2010

Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled that you gave another Couples Resort a try and think your choice of the recently renovated CTI was an excellent choice. Your repeat business is such a compliment. Your review confirmed some reviews and dispelled a few myths - so thanks for adding that detail. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#13 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!