“A piece of heaven!”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Ottawa
“A piece of heaven!”
Reviewed 30 March 2010

This resort exceeded our expectations. A grand old style hotel with all the modern amenities. The food was esquisite as was the ambiance. Extremely clean, great gym, beautiful beach and great service. The resort offers plenty of in house activities like scuba diving, snorkeling, water skiing, catamaran rides etc. What we really enjoyed was the fact that the hotel has a little over 200 rooms so you never feel crowded. The only negative aspect is the approximate 2 hour ride from Montego Bay airport to the resort.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We rarely return to the same resort twice but once you've found paradise, why look any further? We returned after having an incredible vacation there last August. We love everything about this resort: entertainment; people, guests and staff are all like family; phenomenal food; sports; trips; tours; room and view; beach and island....and you'll make a ton of great friends there for life.
If you need a great taxi and tour guide call Danny [--] he's the best and he comes right to the resort anytime and he has awesome and entertaining stories.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. Congratulations on celebrating your 30th anniversary. We are honored you chose CSS. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
canada
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I have travelled to many different resorts over the years in many different countries, and for the most part they all pretty much offer you the same services. What sets a really good resort apart from a bad one is how well they do all of these services. Couples Tower Isle does these right.and better than most. From the minute you walk off the bus at the airport and you are warmly greated by Byron and the boys you are made to feel welcome and someone who is special. The girls at the reception desk continue this warm friendly attitude, they are attentive listen and constantly smile. I felt comfortable in the first 5 minutes of my stay. We were traveling with another couple and through the maze of paperwork our request for ajoining rooms never made it. We also had a travel companion who needed an elevator or a room on the ground floor because of a mobility issue, she was going to have knee replacement surgery when we got back to Montreal. I expected either a long wait for the request or even perhaps a mid week change. Surprise couples upgraded us, was sympatetic and said it would be perhaps an hour to have the rooms ready. Doing it right. Good to ther word an hour later Byron sought us out at the pool bar and informed us the rooms were ready. IMPRESSIVE.

Tower Isle is beautiful with its recent renovation, were modern feel with the new furnishings. The view to the actual tower on the island is spectacular. The resort does not sit on a very large lush property. It is a little more compact and intimate. Now to some this can be a plus or a minus. For my self I enjoy the compactness of a 226 room resort. It has its advantages in that you see,familiar faces after a while and its a lot easier to engage others in conversation. AS a matter of fact we met 2 other couple who became our freinds over the course of the week. The island is of cource totally nude, I loved it. It has a small wading swim up pool bar wood decks over the rocks and even a little bit of a beach. Great place to relax and soak up the sun. For those too timid to go in the buff you could ask the beach guys to take you there before 9am if you want to take some of pic from the tower. But really you should try the island and experience it at least once. Remember no one cares and you'll never see these people again in your life.

The Staff What can I say other than simply great. Everyone had a smile on their face an a good morinig how are you. From the waiter to the gardener to the guy who washes the floor ,that I just sepped all over with my sandy feet, who said to me don't apologize thats why I have a job. RIGHT ATTITUDE. Not a single member of the staff would not stop to have a word with you if you engaged them with conversation. I noticed one day one of the lifeguards heading to the grill. He stopped to pick up a napkin on the ground and straightened the 4 chairs around the table. I'm sure its not his job but this guy had enough pride in the resort to do this. And he was not the only one. It shows the staff care. A big plus to the resort and me as a guest..

Resturants Very good to excellant food, service very good. Only reservation I had was the food that was brought out to the island and left sitting on the couter for hours on plates.

Room and room service excellant, very clean and the beds were turned down every night. Being on the 3rd floor the water pressure could have been better and yes one has to be careful when showering not to leave the shower curtain outside the rim of the shower or the bathroom floods. A minor inconvienience.

Entertainment great house band and a good selection of other performers all week.
Animation What a great bunch of kids trying really hard to organize games and more games for us beach slugs. They were really a fun group who I had a great time with all week.

Management what a tight run ship. Things are done right efficiently and if mistakes are made they are rectified immediatly. MR. Leonard Henry the Gm what a great guy friendly efficient and someone who I know goes above and beyond. And this reflect in the staff too numerous to mention here.

Couples Resort did not make me feel like a guest but part of the family and for this I thank you one and all.

P.S. Unfortunatlly went on to SANDALS Grand my second week for those of you interested in my comments can read them. To those of you who have already booked you have made the right choice, and to those of you thinking of booking do so without a second thought you'll have the time of your life and tell them hello from John

1 Thank sheepdogCanada
New York City
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I had to give Couples Tower Isle 1 terrible star because TA wouldn't let me post with zero stars.

My husband booked out long weekend winter getaway at Couples Tower Isle through American Express Travel Services. We have always had great experiences with the vacations we booked there.
COUPLES TOWER ISLE IS THE FIRS EXCEPTION.

Our trip was booked for Feb 10-14, 2010 and if the collective memory serves there was an ENORMOUS WINTER STORM that week that shut down all major airports from Georgia to Boston. We were leaving from NYC and Jet Blue Canceled everything into and out of NYC for 2 days.

We contacted Couples Tower Isle to ask to reschedule or refund and have been refused on both counts. Twice. We are looking into invoking the travel insurance that we thought we purchased from American Express. If that doesn't work we may have to pursue small claims court.

It's been 6 weeks since our vacation was undone by bad weather - completely beyond our control - and we are facing a loss of over $2,000. with absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heredog
Hello. We are so sorry for the cancellation of your vacation due to weather. Our policy did/does allow rescheduling of your vacation, so unless you tried to reschedule on dates that the hotel was already 100% occupied. We would be happy to accept a rescheduled reservation through AMEX travel. Please contact me if you have issues with getting this accomplished through them. 1-800-COUPLES.
Orlando
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Let me preference this by stating that I booked this trip for our Honeymoon 4 months ago. We are very well traveled, but have I have never done the all inclusive thing before. I thought it would be a great idea so that we did not have to stress about anything other than the wedding. We booked the whole vacation through Couples (flight included). Again great idea and worth every penny because of the stress relief of not having to coordinate anything - or so I thought.

The day of my rehearsal dinner (Thursday March 25th), right after the rehearsal itself, I received a call from Couples stating that my flight from Orlando to Montego Bay has been canceled and that we would have to book alternate travel. This was disappointed, but it happens. In speaking with the Couples Representative, Marlon, he gave me a few alternative flights none of which would be direct like our original flight. Our travel time now went from 1:45min to 6-7 hours (if all the connections would be on time). I asked him if there were any other direct flights and he told me no.

I decided to research and call Air Jamaica myself to express my dismay and see what they would do. They informed me that they are no longer flying from Orlando to Montego Bay and that the flight was canceled on March 9th. They also stated that they contacted people before that to try and make alternate arrangements to avoid refunds.

I understand that this is Air Jamaica’s change and that Couples has no power over that decision but if you are going to promote yourself as a full travel agency you should have had this cleared up weeks ago. Not 4 days before we are supposed to leave!!!! Not to mention the fact that I contacted Couples every week for the last 4 weeks to confirm that everything was OK and that we were all set. I mentioned to them that I could not find my flight information and asked them to confirm that as well, since they were the ones who booked it. I received confirmations from Couples everything that we were all set. They obviously did not check and just provided us lip service.

Long story longer, I spent 2 hours during my rehearsal dinner and an hour the next morning - the day of my wedding - to find my own transportation to Montego Bay. I found a direct flight from Orlando to Montego Bay through Jet Blue. The price.......double my original fight. Not shocking considering its 3 days before the flight date and in the middle of Spring Break.

When I alerted Couples to the change, I asked them for 2 things:

1) arrange to have us picked up at the new time, and
2) pay for the difference in the flight because we should have been alerted weeks ago, not days.

I thought this was a reasonable request and it could have ended right there. I was responded to with a very short unapologetic, "sorry this was the airlines fault."

Not the response I wanted to hear. Now it is 11:00PM, we leave for Jamaica tomorrow morning and I have no idea how I will be getting to the resort.

I have expressed my overwhelming disappointment to Couples that this was not handled in a more professional manner. They should have informed us a long time ago, now we are out another $700, have no ride to the resort, my rehearsal dinner was ruined as I spent it on the phone and we have yet to receive an apology, reimbursement, upgrade, or anything from this supposed top notch resort.

I have the Ritz on speed dial and I have also spoken to the GM of the Ritz Grande Lakes in Orlando and he has stated how much he would like our business and to call him directly when we get there if we need to switch resorts.

I will pay for convenience and so far this has been anything but. Couples has 1 day to make this right. I am hoping that this will be taken care of properly by the resort upon our arrival. Tomorrow is a new day and a chance for them to step up and be the resort they claim to be. Otherwise its off the Ritz where we know we will be treated right.

4 Thank Mcruikshank14
Jamman, vice president of operations at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for choosing COUPLES.

I am so sorry to see that you have given us a terrible rating BEFORE you even stay at our resort.

I hope all worked out once you arrived. I look forward to seeing your review.

Kind regards
Gary
Vice President
COUPLES resorts
Stouffville
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Great time -- first time to Jamaica and loved it. Would definately go back. Hotel was great! Read numerous reviews prior to booking and all were great - none of them let me down.

Didn't like that we couldn't tip - there is a strict no tipping rule at this hotel. They all deserved big tips though. Tip for anyone going - bring tip money for outside the resort. Once you leave the resort, you will need to tip your bus drivers and tour guides, I didn't know this until I got there. $3-$5 USD was given to each. This applied even to the excursions that were offered by the hotel. I am sure that you could not tip, but most on the bus were. There were people that felt bad, as they didn't bring any money with them, but had they known they would have left something.

Would definately recommend this place to anyone that would listen to me. Nice mix of age groups. Lots to do it you wanted to do some activities, and if you preferred to do nothing - it was quite enough to enjoy that too. The staff were fantastic! Can't say enough good things!

You're missing out if you don't stay here.

Cheers,
Stouffville ON

3 Thank alysha420
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 26 March 2010
Hello and thanks for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled you were able to enjoy this resorts recent $30 Million renovation during its first year of being reopened. The staff accolades are amazing and they are thrilled to know they are making such a positive impact on the guests stays. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I have nothing but good things to say about my stay at this hotel. Me and my fiance are young (in our late and mid 20s) and were a little worried that a lot of the couples would be older like in their late 50s and 60s. However there is a good mix of older and younger couples here and there is something for everyone.
We chose Couples Tower Isle because we wanted a quiet, relaxing vacation and that is exactly what we got.

Trip from the airport: As soon as we landed and went through immigration we were shown to the Couples Lounge where we handed off our bags and were offered a drink. We told one of the employees we were starving and they walked outside with us so we could buy a Jamaican patty which was delicious. We waited no longer than 15 minutes then were walked out to the bus which would take us to the hotel. The driver and the porter do not work for the hotel so we tipped them each $1. The drive to the hotel was great and the driver pointed out many different landmarks to us on the way. We did not stop for food or a break as it was late (around 8) and I think everyone just wanted to get to the hotel.

Arrival: we got there and were greeted with smiles, a cold towel and drinks. We signed in and were shown to our room by a VERY friendly guy. Amazing. No problems here at all.

Our room: we got an ocean view room and it was very beautiful. Our view was amazing and the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore was to die for. The bathroom is small but cozy. No major complains here.

Activities: they have an orientation everyday which is informative if you choose to go. The guide shows you around the hotel and explains the restaurants and which ones require reservations, etc. He showed us the grounds and made us feel very welcome. There are a lot of activities to take advantage of, most of which are free. My fiance was worried that this vacation would be similar to the vacation on the movie "Couples Retreat" and we would be forced to do daily activities. It was nothing like that. You can do as much as you want or as little as you want. They offer snorkeling which we did. Lots of fun. Scuba diving, kayaking, a number of other watersports, horse back riding, Margaritivalle club trip on Monday nights, catamaran cruise, shopping in Ocho Rios, Dunns river falls and some other things. There is also an activities board that lays out all the activities everyday if you are interested.

Nude beach: we did not venture onto the nude beach but we spoke to some people who did and they said its very relaxing. It is far enough away from the main hotel so no body parts are visible; you only see outlines.

Spa: the spa was amazing. The staff is very friendly and the massage we got was great. I read that a reviewer said they felt like it was just an oily rub down. This was the complete opposite of my experience, my masseuse applied just the right amount of pressure. If you want more pressure you can let them know and they are happy to oblige.

Tipping: I saw absolutely no evidence of tipping expectations anywhere. The waiters were great and didnt even linger around to make you think they wanted a tip. The same goes for the baggage handlers. The bartenders served me as soon as I walked up. And as far as the servers walking on the beach, they were extremely efficient and kept my glass filled with no questions.

Food: selection was great. A great balance of Jamaican ethnic foods as well as burgers and fries etc for those who want something familiar to choose from. The dessert selection was huge. There was something different everyday at the buffet and we stayed there for an entire week. They even offer a free cooking class if you want to know how to duplicate at home.

The only thing that I would say I think could be a little different was the fact that the glass bottom boat only went out once a day at 9:30. We are young and like to sleep in late :) so we had to get up early enough to get something to eat in order to make it down to the beach to go on the boat at 9:30. I wish they had at least one other session later down in the afternoon. That to me is minor however and the good outweighs any bad.

Me and my fiance have traveled all over the world - other hotels in Jamaica, Canada, Amsterdam, Paris, Germany and many other places. This hotel was one of the best I have ever been to. I think those who found that their stay was "terrible" perhaps went around looking for things to complain about. It is truly paradise and we've already started saving so we can go back next year.

4 Thank sun_and_sea1
chitownshandi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 30 March 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Tower Isle. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the recently renovated resort - since it was your first time there I'm sure it was just as impressive as those returning from years past. You are right, some activities are scheduled earlier than I like to get up for too, like they say, ya snooze ya lose :) which is just fine with me when I am on vacation too. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!