“Wedding to remember”

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
UK
“Wedding to remember”
Reviewed 30 July 2007

My husband and I had an amazing wedding in May last year so much so that we are making a return trip next may to celbrate 2 years of marriage.
Everything about our stay was fantastic, the staff could not do enough for you, the food was fantastic, the beach was great, the watersports was brilliant and even the additional trips included were great.
The weather was better than what we expected and the whole experience especially for our wedding was the best it could have been.
I would recommend this hotel for everything and to everybody completely 5 star all the way.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank elliemay22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
New Mexico
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Well, I know this will not be received well on the Couples board but I had to be honest about our trip. We have stayed at both CNN (twice) and CSS and decided we couldn't go wrong trying COR. We did. I was almost in tears when we saw the room. It was plain (although it was listed as an updated room) and there were stains on the bathroom floor. We didn't actually overlook the garden but the driveway but the staff was good about moving us to a real garden view. On the plus side the room was very quiet. The food was nothing like the other two resorts, although there was plenty. The drinks were great, no problems there. We found the staff not to be as friendly as at the other two resorts( we did appreciate the move though). A couple of them were downright rude ( and no we weren't being obnoxious - we were there and determined to make the best of it and enjoy the sun, sand and new friends and be courteous to the staff - left goodies and all). The excursions were nice, loved the ride! The reason I am writing this is I wish I had found something other than the raves. COR regulars are really loyal (which is why I know some people are seething at this review). We made some great new friends and to be quite frank that was the highlight of the trip. Will we go back? Not to COR, most likely we will return to either CN or CSS. If you have only stayed at COR you really should try the other Couples resorts, they are a better experience ( at least in our opinion). Please don't get too mad over there on the board, I just needed to be honest about our experience. Like I said, met some awesome people and enjoyed their company immensely.

• Liked — Fellow visitors
  • Disliked — The rooms and food were of poor quality
13 Thank NewMexicoBeachbums
Jamman, vice President of operations at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 7 August 2007
We are not mad at all, just sorry that Couples Ocho Rios did not match your expectations. I regret that you did not give us the opportunity to move you to Couples Sans Souci or Couples Negril. As this review indicates our four resorts are all very different and have extremely loyal returning guests some guests like one resort over the other.

Alabama
Reviewed 28 July 2007

My husband & I were there July 21 through July 27 of 2007. This was our first trip to Jamaica and being that I'm a perfectionist, I reviewed what seems to be all of the resorts in Ocho Rios. This place was wonderful! The staff really care about you, and that says a lot during this day & age. Everything was GREAT (staff-room-food-drinks-snorkeling-catamarran cruise-beach-spa-hammocks-private, hidden jacuzzis in their lush, tropical foliage). I honestly can't think of a negative. Yeah, we had a couple of ants on our outside balcony, but we had dropped a little piece of fuit earlier. It does take a couple of hours to get there from the Montego Bay airport, but the time passes quickly when you're observing another country and talking with your driver about the Jamaican heritage. There's an ad I saw in a travel magazine that stated "Jamaica: Once you go, you know". That's such a true statement. It's totally up to you. If you don't want to be bothered, just keep to yourself and you will be OK. However, if you want to get to know the Jamaican people, that's even better! We learned a lot of Jamaican verbage, such as "Irie Mon"!

Just so you know, we are already planning a return trip back next year. You won't be disappointed.

Aside from COR, we did the bamboo rafting down The Martha Brae River, and it was priceless....

• Liked — being treated like a queen
  • Disliked — nothing!
3 Thank we-love-COR
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2007

After reading some pretty negative reviews I was fully prepared for the worst. First the bad, our room did flood a bit. There was a leak with the bathroom sink and the bathroom floor and part of the room under the AC did flood. The staff were very nice about getting it fixed and did so quickly, so no real complaints there. The mattress left something to be desired. I think it was due for replacement several years ago. The mattress was very hard and you could feel the springs. Finally the view that we got was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a full view of the water, but go some trees in the way since we were on the side of the hotel and not on the side truly facing the water. However, we were the last room down that hallway so we only had people on one side and not two so that turned out to be pretty nice. Overall the rooms could use some updating, but nothing to really complain about. Besides, if you are spending all of your time in the room, you are obviously doing something wrong. And those concerned with showers and AC, both worked perfectly fine and no problem mon!

Ok, now the good. The staff were the best. It was like walking into a room full of old friends. Everyone, from the wait staff to the bartenders, to the janitorial staff all the way over to the grounds staff, everyone was nice, polite and friendly. I have never felt so welcome at any place in my life! Most places in the states seem to take your presence (and money) for granted. Here they seemed to be actually happy to see you! My boyfriend even had an impromptu jam session with the hotel players. My boyfriend had found a guitar and started playing a little and the gentleman who owned the guitar took some time out to teach him some true reggae chords! I don't think I've seen my boyfriend happier and we will never forget the quick jam sessions. The bellman and staff member who happened to be there even started singing along. It's an entire attitude that I hope I can bring back with me.

The food is simply fabulous, I don't think we had one bad meal there. The jerk chicken from the grill is so good--especially at 1 in the morning ;) the French restaurant was simply gorgeous and excellent. Bayside was also great. The Veranda was ok, not a personal favorite, but still really good. The Monday night beach party was simply superb. The bartenders are great and more than happy to make you a Bob Marley shot to start the evening off right :)

My apologies on the long review, but one more thing. I simply must compliment the scuba staff. I had heard some negative things and I have to come to their defense. JC was our instructor and he showed so much patience with the newbies that I was very impressed. The entire staff was very patient with new scuba divers and were very concerned for our safety. I got into a bit of trouble (I hit the wrong button and started quickly ascending and not descending) and one of the staff members was there before I knew it to help me out. I wish I could remember that young mans name but I will never forget that moment of panic and having someone right there to help me out. I would have no qualms about going to to scuba for the first time with these guys again.

Overall, I give the room about a 3 or so and the staff a full 5.

• Liked — The staff!!
  • Disliked — The mattress
2 Thank Elphabla
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 28 July 2007

We have been home from COR for about two months now, but still have great memories. The new Couples lounge at the Airport was a welcome sight – it is much larger than before, and our wait was only very brief before we left with small van (and no other passengers). The drive was great – mostly highway – and our driver Greg kept the drive entertaining with conversation, and music. We now have a new Reggae artist in our favourite collection (Jimmy Cliff).

Checkin was smooth , and we were quickly escorted to our room by the charming Everald , who greeted us the next few days with his special ‘handshake’ . We were thrilled to hear the tree frogs again upon arriving. It is music to my ears!

Room:
Having booked a Secret Rendezvous, we got the type of room expected (lowest available category: small Gardenview room, # 319), but we asked if we could upgrade. By the end of the next day, we were moved to a much larger\brighter and oceanview room: South Wing, # 262.) It appears this wing was added more recently, and the accommodations were much nicer as the room was brighter, nicely furnished, and we had a spectacular view of the ocean. Daily housekeeping and evening turn-down were always prompt, and our room was kept very well (including ice water in a thermal carafe and clean linens etc.). Thanks very much to Tamara.

Food: It was very good, and certainly much better than the quality at other AI resorts (like Dominican or Mexico), however it was inferior to that of CSS. The breakfast buffet did not have as much selection, the pastries were repeated and not as fresh, and the lunch buffet also had repeated salads\offerings daily. I craved the wonderful fresh soups and salads that were at CSS – especially a Waldorf salad – but was a bit disappointed. Dinners were good, though, with good selection on menus. I would say we were a bit surprised the same house wine was used for all restaurants. We thought they may have changed up the house wine a bit at each of the Restaurants. Also, when we tried to pay for our own wine selection, we had to choose from several, as each one we tried from the list was not available. Service at the restaurants was always spectacular, though, and I do think it was better than CSS. We had many favourite servers: Leonard, Jacinthe, Duedrops, Martin and Orlenga ‘Rose’. As for the Gala dinners, again the food was very good, but the variety was much less than what was offered at CSS – including breads and desserts.

Entertainment/Activities: Every night there was a different activity organized by the lovely Tanisa, and we took part in several activities. I would say the casino night and auction were my favourite. (I am not much for Kareoke, but I know others were very talented and sang splendidly).

Waterspots: The guys working in the watersports crew are the absolute best! We got to know them very well. Thanks to Cleveland who boated us over the Island every day, a special Hi to ‘Ty’, whose warmed us with his smile, and hello to Delroy who greeted us every day for a warm chat (I hope you have a great vacation, Delroy!), and our gratitude to Lionel who drove the ski-boat for David on a daily basis. He really went the extra mile, when one day the boat was not working. He spent time repairing it, and then sent Cleveland over to the Island to pick up David so he would not miss his daily ski.
Spa: We had a lovely Twilight couples massage, which was glorious. I might have preferred to have our massage in a private hut on the ocean (as opposed to the lawn outside the resort), but we could still hear the waves – and that is what counted.

A/N Facilities: Tower Island was unique, the chair swing was lovely , and we enjoyed our quiet mornings there (as we were usually always the first to arrive). The bar service from Damion and Rohan was super, and we had great chats with the new friends we met while there. While the island was small, the number of people going there was also low, so it never seemed crowded.

We wish we could have been at COR longer. One week seemed to pass by so quickly, but we will hopefully return again very soon. Jamaica is our favourite destination, and very close to feeling like ‘home’ for us. The absolute best part of our vacations to Couples so far has been the people – specifically the staff that are above all others in the hospitality industry.

We have a number of pictures on our web album, but will only post a few here. If you are interested in more, feel free to send us a direct message.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ma633
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Couples Ocho Rios is fantastic. We were there July 13 - 21, 2007. The motel is dated, but that is what makes it so nice. The food was good, beach was nice, and the off shore island was great.

They include most activities that you want to do. They include at no extra cost golf, horse back riding, diving, glass bottom boat rides and lots of other activities. A vacation that you can leave you money at home except for the bus drivers tips. No tiping at the motel.

• Liked — The Staff, they are the best
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank MJ21
Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Drive to COR: The drive to COR from the airport was definitely longer than the ride to CSA. They are still trying to complete the road work. This makes the travel a bit longer due to unpaved portions and one lane here and there. The driver we had on the way to COR was named, Courtney. He stopped along the way at a place to grab a cold drink and food if so desired. The driver we had on the way back to the airport was named, Dane. He too, stopped along the road at a rest stop for potty break, food and cold drinks. Both drivers were safe and very kind and knowledgeable.

Check in: The check in started off a little rough. I had walked up to the desk to check in. The woman said to go and stand near our bags for check in. So, we went and stood next to our bags. Next thing we know the entire bus load is standing at the check in counter being checked in. It was all very confusing. So, we went and grabbed a seat, were offered rum punch and sat there until we were directed to check in.

Room: We were booked for a Superior Ocean room and were given room #446. It had a beautiful ocean view. Tower Island was unable to be seen due to the palm trees.
The room was fine, typical motel style décor and furnishings. These are the rooms that will be renovated into Deluxe Ocean rooms. For the price, it was great.
The bathroom was the worst part of the room. It desperately needed a makeover. Still no problems though.

Grounds at COR: The grounds were beautiful and really nicely kept. The beach was always raked and the front garden was beautiful. The hidden jacuzzi’s were really neat although we never made it into one. The aviary was cool too. There was a grounds keeper there cleaning it and hosing down the time we came by.

Food: The food at all the restaurants was great. We ate the first night at the Gala buffet around the pool. It was really tasty. The next night we ate at the Verandah and had an excellent meal too. The third night was at Le Gourmet for the Repeater’s Dinner and it was fabulous. The fourth night we ate at the Bayside. It was great too, I just wasn’t great myself (few too many Purple Rain’s on TI). And the last night there, we ate again at Le Gourmet and had a wonderful meal for our last night there.
The Continental Breakfast was better here at COR than CSA. The chocolate croissants and the plain croissants are to die for.
One suggestion regarding the eating situation at COR, would be to have a la carte eating choices for breakfast and lunch. The only restaurant for breakfast and lunch was buffet style at the Patio and the greasy beach grill.

Beach: The beach at COR was gorgeous. It is a cove style beach and really private. We only went in the water at the beach once while there as we spent our time out on the island.

Tower Island: This is where it is at. We loved it on TI and went the very first boat ride we could our first morning there. We headed right to the West end of the island near the pool and got right into the mix. It was amazing and we met such great people there. I could go on and on about how it was the best part of COR.
Pool: The pool looked great although we never went in it.

• Liked — Tower Island
  • Disliked — Dated rooms, small cove beach.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!