“Amazing!”

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New York
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 10 August 2007

This place was amazing. The staff from arrival to departure are the most attentive, beautiful relaxed folks you'll ever come across "ever ting is irie."

The food is great, breakfast definitely have the sweet bread it's like french toast but better.

Anything at the dinner buffet is great and don't pass up on dessert.
And the drinks, oh man I want to go back;)

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank creative1481

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We've been back from our stay at Couples Ochos Rios for less then three months now and are longing to go back. In fact, we've just booked our return for April of 08' and we are counting down the days. It's hard to sit down and give a fair review of a place I consider paradise, but I will try.

Upon arriving In Montego Bay we breezed right through customs and found the Couples resort lounge quite easily. We were offered complimentary drinks ( we had a pepsi each, as we don't drink) and waited only a short while to board our bus to Ochee.

The bus ride was long and arduous. The roads are bad at times however it was explain to us that the roads are built on limestone and are in constant need of repair due to corrosion. Being from NY we are used to road construction. I'm prone to motion sickness as well, so I was a little apprehesive to say the least about this trip. But I made it through just fine.

At the resort we were greeted by Ainsworth and Everald, and offered wet towels and drinks. Nice welcome. We were able to check in quickly and Everald took us to our room.

The room we stayed in was a Deluxe Ocean View. Honestly, when I booked this trip I did the obligatory online virtual tours almost every day leading up to our departure and being the jaded traveler that I am, felt that the resort couldn't possibly measure up to the Couples website. I couldn't have been more wrong. The room was much more than expected and the view was amazing. Is it the Ritz? No, but I wasn't spending $1000 a night. It was a little dated, but it was clean and bigger than I expected. Plenty of closet space and two sinks in the bathroom were a bonus. We were also prepared to see some insects, it is the tropics after all, but the only critters we found were a newt or two on the balcony.
Maybe they ate all our bugs for us?

The beach is on the smallish side but clean and private. That's why we booked this property as opposed to Negril. We liked the fact that the only access to the beach was through the resort. It was cleaned and raked every morning by Delroy who always made the time to stop and chat and make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The beach chairs and floaties were plentiful. The water can be a little choppy at times, but it's no North Shore of Oahu either.

The watersports guys were extremely friendly and helpful. Collin stands out. We didn't take advantage of many of the activities they offered. But we did go snorkeling and my wife went out on a Hobie Cat with one of the guys on our last day. I think this is our biggest regret. We just didn't take advantage of all the resort had to offer.

The food was very good and plentiful. The Calabash (buffet) is were we ate mostly. Breakfast and lunch are steps away from the beach and very casual. One of the chef's, Ullyses, cooked us made to order breakfasts every morning. We had Italian at the Bayside one night which was excellent and very romantic. We also ate at Le Gourmet which is French cuisine. The service was excellent there, but we don't care for rich foods, so I'm not really qualified to give a review. The highlight was the private dinner on the beach. The food and service were incredible. Our waiter sang to us and made it a very romantic special last night.

The spa was very clean and soothing. We did the couples massage and my wife enjoyed it very much. I was sunburned by that point, so it was less enjoyable for me as you might imagine and quite humorous.

Tower Island is the AN portion of the resort. We didn't take advantage of that option, although we did swim out there one morning to explore and take some pictures before the first boat of folks made it out there. I have to say that it might be the prettiest portion of the property, but we just aren't courageous enough yet to spend the day out there.

The staff.........this is were the real difference is. These folks are incredible. Everyone there made us feel like honored guests. They just genuinely cared about your stay, and if you needed anything to make it a better experience. I will say that it's harder to get the women there to smile, they all seemed very shy and reserved. But the more we interacted with them they opened right up. The men just seemed happy and freespirited all the time.
When we booked for our return next year we originally wanted to check out Swept Away, but we realized that what we were missing was our new friends in Ochee, not just Jamaica. So we switched and are returning to the place we fell in love with.

• Liked — The staff and the sunrise from my balcony
  • Disliked — I honestly can't think of a negative other than the bus trip. But there's no way to get around it other than hiring a private flight out of MoBay.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank mikedeuce13
Lives4Vacation
Reviewed 3 August 2007

We went on our first trip to Jamaica in March of 2007 to celebrate our first anniversary and stayed at Couples Ochos Rios. We had the time of our lives! We had taken one other all-inclusive trip to Mexico a few years ago and could not help comparing. However , we soon realized there really was no comparison. The rooms may have been fancier at the newer Mexican resort, but Couples outshone them in every other category!

The beach was amazing-perfect white sand and impeccably clean. The views were incredible-make sure to check out the saxophonist on the pier at sundown. The food was suprisingly delicious-we liked all of the restaurants. Room service was excellent: be sure to order chocolate croissants and fresh fruit to eat on your balcony in the morning with fresh Jamaican coffee. Drinks were yummy, plentiful and strong. The hot tubs, pool and gardens were lovely. The staff was unbelieveable and they are what makes you think you've drifted into your own little island heaven. I can't say enough about the genuinely friendly service we receieved!

We took advantage of all the watersports and especially enjoyed the sailing. We also loved Dunn River Falls. The falls were beautiful and our escort hilarious. (Definitely buy the DVD-you'll bring your friends and family home hours of laughs!) The horseback riding through the jungle was fun too. We enjoyed a soothing hour-long couples massage (indoors or out.) Best of all was the Catamaran excursion. Large quantities of rum punch and a bouncy bow make for quite a fun (slightly dangerous) adventure. And all included!

If you are considering a trip to Couples OR, I have three words for you:

Go, go, go!

We plan to:)

• Liked — The people-hands down
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lives4Vacation
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2007

My husband and I had an amazing wedding in May last year so much so that we are making a return trip next may to celbrate 2 years of marriage.
Everything about our stay was fantastic, the staff could not do enough for you, the food was fantastic, the beach was great, the watersports was brilliant and even the additional trips included were great.
The weather was better than what we expected and the whole experience especially for our wedding was the best it could have been.
I would recommend this hotel for everything and to everybody completely 5 star all the way.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank elliemay22
New Mexico
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Well, I know this will not be received well on the Couples board but I had to be honest about our trip. We have stayed at both CNN (twice) and CSS and decided we couldn't go wrong trying COR. We did. I was almost in tears when we saw the room. It was plain (although it was listed as an updated room) and there were stains on the bathroom floor. We didn't actually overlook the garden but the driveway but the staff was good about moving us to a real garden view. On the plus side the room was very quiet. The food was nothing like the other two resorts, although there was plenty. The drinks were great, no problems there. We found the staff not to be as friendly as at the other two resorts( we did appreciate the move though). A couple of them were downright rude ( and no we weren't being obnoxious - we were there and determined to make the best of it and enjoy the sun, sand and new friends and be courteous to the staff - left goodies and all). The excursions were nice, loved the ride! The reason I am writing this is I wish I had found something other than the raves. COR regulars are really loyal (which is why I know some people are seething at this review). We made some great new friends and to be quite frank that was the highlight of the trip. Will we go back? Not to COR, most likely we will return to either CN or CSS. If you have only stayed at COR you really should try the other Couples resorts, they are a better experience ( at least in our opinion). Please don't get too mad over there on the board, I just needed to be honest about our experience. Like I said, met some awesome people and enjoyed their company immensely.

• Liked — Fellow visitors
  • Disliked — The rooms and food were of poor quality
13 Thank NewMexicoBeachbums
Jamman, vice President of operations at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, 7 August 2007
We are not mad at all, just sorry that Couples Ocho Rios did not match your expectations. I regret that you did not give us the opportunity to move you to Couples Sans Souci or Couples Negril. As this review indicates our four resorts are all very different and have extremely loyal returning guests some guests like one resort over the other.

Alabama
Reviewed 28 July 2007

My husband & I were there July 21 through July 27 of 2007. This was our first trip to Jamaica and being that I'm a perfectionist, I reviewed what seems to be all of the resorts in Ocho Rios. This place was wonderful! The staff really care about you, and that says a lot during this day & age. Everything was GREAT (staff-room-food-drinks-snorkeling-catamarran cruise-beach-spa-hammocks-private, hidden jacuzzis in their lush, tropical foliage). I honestly can't think of a negative. Yeah, we had a couple of ants on our outside balcony, but we had dropped a little piece of fuit earlier. It does take a couple of hours to get there from the Montego Bay airport, but the time passes quickly when you're observing another country and talking with your driver about the Jamaican heritage. There's an ad I saw in a travel magazine that stated "Jamaica: Once you go, you know". That's such a true statement. It's totally up to you. If you don't want to be bothered, just keep to yourself and you will be OK. However, if you want to get to know the Jamaican people, that's even better! We learned a lot of Jamaican verbage, such as "Irie Mon"!

Just so you know, we are already planning a return trip back next year. You won't be disappointed.

Aside from COR, we did the bamboo rafting down The Martha Brae River, and it was priceless....

• Liked — being treated like a queen
  • Disliked — nothing!
3 Thank we-love-COR
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2007

After reading some pretty negative reviews I was fully prepared for the worst. First the bad, our room did flood a bit. There was a leak with the bathroom sink and the bathroom floor and part of the room under the AC did flood. The staff were very nice about getting it fixed and did so quickly, so no real complaints there. The mattress left something to be desired. I think it was due for replacement several years ago. The mattress was very hard and you could feel the springs. Finally the view that we got was a little disappointing. I was hoping for a full view of the water, but go some trees in the way since we were on the side of the hotel and not on the side truly facing the water. However, we were the last room down that hallway so we only had people on one side and not two so that turned out to be pretty nice. Overall the rooms could use some updating, but nothing to really complain about. Besides, if you are spending all of your time in the room, you are obviously doing something wrong. And those concerned with showers and AC, both worked perfectly fine and no problem mon!

Ok, now the good. The staff were the best. It was like walking into a room full of old friends. Everyone, from the wait staff to the bartenders, to the janitorial staff all the way over to the grounds staff, everyone was nice, polite and friendly. I have never felt so welcome at any place in my life! Most places in the states seem to take your presence (and money) for granted. Here they seemed to be actually happy to see you! My boyfriend even had an impromptu jam session with the hotel players. My boyfriend had found a guitar and started playing a little and the gentleman who owned the guitar took some time out to teach him some true reggae chords! I don't think I've seen my boyfriend happier and we will never forget the quick jam sessions. The bellman and staff member who happened to be there even started singing along. It's an entire attitude that I hope I can bring back with me.

The food is simply fabulous, I don't think we had one bad meal there. The jerk chicken from the grill is so good--especially at 1 in the morning ;) the French restaurant was simply gorgeous and excellent. Bayside was also great. The Veranda was ok, not a personal favorite, but still really good. The Monday night beach party was simply superb. The bartenders are great and more than happy to make you a Bob Marley shot to start the evening off right :)

My apologies on the long review, but one more thing. I simply must compliment the scuba staff. I had heard some negative things and I have to come to their defense. JC was our instructor and he showed so much patience with the newbies that I was very impressed. The entire staff was very patient with new scuba divers and were very concerned for our safety. I got into a bit of trouble (I hit the wrong button and started quickly ascending and not descending) and one of the staff members was there before I knew it to help me out. I wish I could remember that young mans name but I will never forget that moment of panic and having someone right there to help me out. I would have no qualms about going to to scuba for the first time with these guys again.

Overall, I give the room about a 3 or so and the staff a full 5.

• Liked — The staff!!
  • Disliked — The mattress
2 Thank Elphabla
#9 of 85 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Don Pablo Collection

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!