“Long Review, Excellent Stay, Jamaica is WAY better than Mexico!”
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Couples Tower Isle
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Nov 18 – Nov 25 Couples Tower Isle Trip Review

Background
We are a middle class Canadian couple in our early 30’s. We have only travelled to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico (twice). The purpose of our trip was for us to get married. Anything that I do criticize, I knew about before going to this resort. The reason we chose CTI over the other Couples Resorts is that it was the only one that had a dinner buffet available every night.

Flights
We travelled with Westjet, they were fine. For free food you get 2 snacks (bits and bites or cookies), also they offer free beverages twice (water, tea, coffee, soda). We paid extra to reserve the emergency exit (Row 13). We would not do this again, as we could not recline the seats at all. There is TONS of legroom, DH is 6’4,and I am 5’9 and we had atleast 6” of room left.

Couples Lounge
Very nice, it was good to have private washrooms, and beverages available (bottled water, soda, beer).

Transportation to and from resort
It was also nice not having to stop at numerous resorts to drop off other travellers. We only stopped at Couples Sans Souci. It took us 1hr, and 45 minutes in travel time to arrive at Couples Tower Isle. Just a note tipping the driver and your porter at the airport is encouraged ($1 per bag, and whatever you want to the driver)

Resort Arrival
This resort does not have the marble factor like Mexico. What it does have is understated elegance. We were offered a cool cloth, which was very nice, along with champagne, beer, or any beverage. We were all seated and filled out our paperwork. The Bell Boy took our bags, along with the bags of the other 3 couples and escorted us to our room. Until being at this resort we never realized how small it was. However, it has an excellent layout with most things having an ocean view (Pool Grill, Patio, Verandah, bayside, Lobby, Logo gift shop, pools, and most bars).

Our Room.
We booked the Deluxe Ocean View Room. We were located in Building 4, on the 3rd Floor. Our room was functional. It had a giant King sized bed that was super uncomfortable and the pillows were weird. A flat screen TV mounted to the wall, with awesome channels (even 2 Canadian channels). Our washroom was small, and we felt that although our sink was beautiful, it was not very practical. We LOVED our balcony. It had a beautiful view. We had lots of balcony time each day. We would just sit on our balcony and watch the waves for long periods of time.

Beach
The Beach was small, and on some days it was very crowded. It seems that they lost a bit of sand recently; apparently it will take about 6 months to correct this. Beach waiter service was amazing. Our waiter kept our drinks filled without asking!!

Pools
We sat around the Quiet Pool one day. It was nice to still have a view of the ocean, while being by the pool. We had pool waiter service here. We never went to the Main Pool with the swim up bar. However, we would get drinks to take to our room from the swim up pool bar. We had a great view of this pool from our balcony. It was the livelier pool, and sometimes the people there got rowdy!

Activities
Sadly we did not partake in any activities. We had planned on doing Dunn’s River Falls but we were way too burned. Oh well, it gives us a great excuse to go back in the future.

The Patio Restaurant (Buffet)
This restaurant serves all meals buffet style. It is closed on Monday’s.

We had breakfast here every morning. There was bacon, chicken sausage, boiled eggs, French toast, scrambled eggs, omelette station, waffle, and pancake station, potatoes, beans, cereals (Kellogg’s), yogurt, fruit, breads/danishes, 3 types of croissants (plain, almond, chocolate), as well as a few local Jamaican dishes.

We had lunch here a few times. I would usually get something from the pool grill and bring it to the buffet to eat with DH. I don’t really know what was on the lunch buffet, as I am an extremely picky eater, and couldn’t find items that I would eat. I do remember that they would have pizza, pasta, deserts, meats, veggies etc...

We had dinner here 5 nights. We both enjoyed it alot. I usually got pasta, and bread. DH was in heaven with the vast assortment of meat, seafood, and veggies. The Gala Buffet on Saturday night was particularly wonderful. I enjoyed the Roast Beef, It was wonderful! DH loved the lobster.

The Verandah Restaurant
We did not dine here. I couldn’t find anything on the menu that I liked.

8 Rivers
We dined here one night. They were VERY accommodating regarding my pickiness. DH had the Taste of Seafood for the appetizer, the Shrimp Bisque with sherry for soup, and we shared the salad (minus the blue cheese), and he had the Surf & Turf for dinner. I did not have an appetizer, or soup, for my entree I had the Beef Wellington, made plain, with only the beef and the pastry. I enjoyed my Beef alot. DH thought the restaurant was average, and both agreed that if in the future they had the same menu we wouldn’t bother going back.

Bayside
The ONLY reason we dined here was because we got married on the Monday, and we didn’t want to go to the Beach Party (which was cancelled). I do not like Asian food at all!! The only type of Chinese food that I will occasionally eat is beef fried rice, and 2 chicken balls smothered in sweet and sour sauce!

We had the Tasting platter for 2, I ate 1 Beef Kebab, as that is the only part of the platter that I liked, warning the sweet chilli sauce gave me an instant migraine. DH had the Tom Kla Chicken Soup, I had the salad. For our entrees he had the Hor Mor talay, and I had the Phad Ra Prao Nuea (minus the beans) this was the BEST meal that we had the entire time we were there. I wish we hadn’t waited until Monday, and had booked there more often. We LOVED the food so much, DH wanted to kiss the nice lady chef as he enjoyed his meal that much!

Pool Grill
We went to the Pool Grill daily. They are open from 10-6, and reopen at 10pm. They had wonderful fries, DH enjoyed the Calamari. We both loved the self serve ice cream machine.

Miscellaneous
-The weather was 26-31 that week. It was VERY windy; especially our wedding day was the windiest day that week. There was a fair bit of clouds. The sun in Jamaica is WAY stronger than it was in Mexico. We are both burned quite badly.

-It was nice not having to carry cash, and to be able to charge things to our room, such as spa, and gift shop items.

-Internet was free, that was nice as in Mexico we got charged per minute

-It was great not having to carry towel cards with us, and being charged $20 per towel if you lose one.

-Shopping, if you are like us and do not like bartering and are wondering if you should buy your souvenirs at the airport or the resort, the answer is both. Alcohol was much cheaper at the airport, as well as t-shirts.

Other items were much cheaper at the resort
Examples
Shot Glass Resort $3, airport $4-$6
Jamaican Tweety, Resort $13, Airport $18
The little spice packs were $9.25 at the resort, and $10-$13 at the airport
We didn’t buy any coffee, but we thought it may have been cheaper at the airport.

-Every day there is a new vendor set up on the beach. The man that comes in on Saturday’s does the most amazing woodwork. His pieces were far superior to the other vendors that came in. We bought a parrot, and turtle from him.

Staff
The staff was AMAZING!!!! I have never met such happy, hard working people before.
-Emworth and Everald were awesome Bell Boys; they remembered us from day 1 and were extremely helpful
-Paul was the best Beach waiter and bartender out there
-Latoya was a great wedding co-ordinator.
-Karon at the buffet was great she remembered me from day 1 when she asked me if I was going to the omelette station after getting a waffle from her, I told her I didn’t like eggs, which shocked her, and she remembered me from there on.
-Jean was great maid, she kept our room tidy, and she was always so happy.

Suggestions
-Provide more non-seafood appetizers
-More comfortable beds needed
-Mini Bars in all rooms would be nice, we really missed that!

Conclusion
Couples Resorts greatest assets are their staff, the food, and the included activities. My only gripes being the size of the beach/resort, and the lacklustre rooms. I don’t think that we would want to visit the other Couples as we loved having a direct ocean view, a nightly buffet option, and the waves. I don’t like calm water. Will we go back...yes.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rangergal88

Reviewed 1 December 2010

Me and My wife went to cti for our anniversary we loved it there ,the weather was just lovely we went in november so the weather was between 82- and 89 every day i think it rained one day for a few hours but for the most part was lovely.

the overall staff was nice entertainment was toned down so if entertainment was your thing id stay some place else a bit more upbeat. we were there for a getaway so the fact that the entertainment was toned down was a good thing and it really was not an issue, but if your expecting lots of entertainment then this resort may not be for you.

What we liked the most was the natural island it was nice to just be free and go nude on the private island no one bothered you ,there were all kinds of people there and people there were cool ,there were a lot of people who did not go to the island they would just sun bathe at the beach or the pool but there was not much of a beach there as the beach is man made and we did not come to jamaica to sun bathe in our baving suits at the pool we wanted to get some color (an all over tan with no tan lines) and be free at the island ) when we were not alone in our room or doing any other activities i think we were at the island its very peaceful there with just the sounds of the waves coming in i htink one day i was there i actually fell into a deep sleep and started to dream thats how peaceful it was! ( i know the island is not for everyone ) because youll make friends with people and some people youll never see over there.

We did not do much water sports , or activities the only excursion we did was the horseback which we thought was fun and romantic (it took about an hour to go through the trails and was rigorous if you like horseback youll love it. We did not do the swim with dolphins and sharke or the duns rivers we did the duns rivers a while ago and there was not much to it.

one more thing i want to make note of is the caterman cruise its basically a party boat
that takes about 2 hours it takes a cruise around ocho rios then stops at a channel to go swimming if you do go on this and you want to go swimming id recommend taking the life jacket the water is like twenty feet deep and if your not a strong swimmer youll struggle like i did! and im a good swimmer.

things we did not like

Me and my wife were disapointed with the food

i am half jamaican so my mom and my wife always cook jamaican food and we have sould food restaurants where we are from and we are used to jamaican food
we even stayed in jamaica at another resort who had jerk tilapia ,jerk pork,jerk chicken,daily .

so that was disapointing when a lot of signature meals from jamaica where not on the menu daily

the grill snack bar restaurant ,and the veggie bar by the pool was cool

but the bayside is basically a thai restaurant im not into thai food ,and
8 rivers was too fancy too much on presentation and the food was not good at all.

the only restaurant we liked was the verdanah not because it was jamaican but it was casual and the food was more tasty , dont get me wrong i dont go on vacation for food ,we go on vacation to get away but when your spending the money your spending youd expect the food to be top notch.

So id recommend dont make any reservations just go to the patio restuarant/buffet even though they had a lot of american food there every once in a while they have something good there that was from the island .

if you like smoothies as one of the girls by the pancakes and waffles to make you a build back its delicous .

overall we had a lovely vacation had loads of fun and the drinks were great they were not watered down like at a family resort i wouldd go back again for sure!

if anyone would like to see some pictures just send me a message

Il

2  Thank Jaques J
Reviewed 30 November 2010

If you have never been to any of the Caribbean islands before, you will think that Couples Tower Isle, and Jamaica is fabulous. If, like me, you've traveled fairly extensively, you will spot the (not so) deliberate mistakes!! The hotel is roughly 2 hours in a bus from Montego Bay International Airport, in the town of Ocho Rios. We were welcomed with refreshing towels and a rum punch; check-in was fairly efficiently done, and luggage delivered to our room by the effervescent Everard! Our ocean-view room was clean, basically furnished with all the usual. My two complaints about the room were the horrendously uncomfortable mattress on the bed (very hard!) and the wash-hand basin in the bathroom had a depth of one inch - impossible to wash in without leaving the tap running (not very water friendly!) Towels and bedding were changed daily, and beds turned down at night. Couples Tower Isle (CTI) has two swimming pools; one with swim-up bar, and is on the beach. Plenty of sun loungers available, and an extensive daily entertainment program, although many were "weather permitting"and in this instance, the weather didn't permit! The "Isle" itself is a short boat ride across the water, where, clothes were mandatorily not required!! My Husband and I went to attend the wedding of some friends of ours. The wedding planner, Latoya, was a very pleasant lady, and did a great job - the wedding was lovely. CTI has a choice of several restaurants of various calibers depending upon your preference. Eight Rivers offers fine dining of a very high standard ( Gentleman are required to wear long pants, shoes, not sandals, and collared shirts ) The food here was excellent and very well presented by well trained, and genial staff. Bayside is an Asian themed restaurant, over the water (noisy if the waves are rough!) but again first class food and service...reservations are required at both these restaurants and the dress codes are enforced. The Verandah restaurant was also nice, not quite so formal, and no reservations required. Your choice of appetisers, entrees and desserts was from an a la carte menu. Finally, the Patio restaurant, which is the only restaurant open for breakfast and lunch, as well as dinner, is an all-buffet style restaurant offering plenty of choices at all three meals. My one complaint regarding this restaurant was the noise level of the evening entertainment/music. The only term I can use is "deafening," to the point where it made dining there unpleasant, because we were unable to talk to anyone dining with us. I can understand the actual entertainment groups turning up the volume, but during dinner simply wasn't pleasant or necessary. Staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, and what was refreshing was that none of them were allowed to accept tips. This was certainly not the case once outside the hotel gates. On all of the excursions we took, it was made abundantly clear to us by the drivers, guides and anyone else that felt it valid, that tipping was required. We were badgered to hand over cash at every possible opportunity. We even had one guy at Dunn's River Falls tell us we didn't give him enough!!! It also made me feel somewhat threatened whenever we left the security of the hotel. All in all, it was a good trip...lovely to enjoy a week of warm sunshine, when back home was shivering in the snow and -36 degreesC, and lovely to see our friends happily married!! Would I recommend CTI to a friend...? I'll say yes, but with some reservations...it would be age, and previous travel experience dependent!

1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My boyfriend and I traveled to CTI from Nov 17-23. And I did a LOT of researching before I finally settled on CTI. At first I was looking at the RIU and even the Oberostar hotels but after reading their reviews, I decided that CTI had more favorable reviews. We flew out at midnight on Tuesday Nov 17th and got to CTI around 11 the next day. After we cleared customs, we were directed to the Couples Lounge where we had drinks and checked in. We were there for maybe 15 minutes then we were off to the shuttle! It was about a 2 hour car ride, but we were so exhausted that we just slept the whole way through. We arrived at the hotel and were presented with wet towels to clean up as well as some drink which was delicious! Check in was a breeze, this is where they give you the activities and dinner schedule where you can sign up for things. We checked in, then went down to the Patio Buffet for lunch and lounged on the beach for a while then just called it a day.

Activities:
Horseback riding: this takes you on a tour of Prospect Plantation and it was a very nice and scenic tour! I loved the coconut tree climber and the history of the plantation. These slots filled up fast so make your reservation as soon as you can. We waited thinking it wouldn’t be booked but we didn’t end up getting to go until the day before we had to leave.

Dunns Rivers Falls: YOU HAVE TO DO THIS! This was my favorite part of the trip. Be sure to bring some cash to tip the driver and the guides. NOTE: don’t waste $40 on the DVD. It’s not worth it. Instead take a waterproof camera. The guides make about 3 stops to take pictures of every couple. This you can do on a rainy day as well. So if your vacation happens to rain – do this one when it does and save other activities for a sunny day.

Snorkeling: this was our first time snorkeling and it was a great experience! The water wasn’t that clear and we didn’t get to see many fishes, but still do it because it’s an experience! I am claustrophobic so I didn’t go scuba diving.

If you get a chance, go do zip lining! We wanted to do that but did not have time.

There was also a Booze Cruise on Saturday that was also fun!

There are MANY other activities that we didn’t do/care for. But there are a lot. Movie night on the beach, casino night, karaoke, etc.

FOOD (in order of recommendation):
Eight Rivers is the fancy restaurant and this one has REALLY good 4 star food! This restaurant has a dress code, slacks and closed toe shoes and collar shirts for men. Reservations required so make them as soon as you can.

Verandah: no reservations required. Also really good food.

Bayside: This is a restaurant right on the water, it’s Asian Cuisine and I wasn’t too impressed with it. I was more impressed with the dishware! But maybe it’s because I am Asian and I am picky about asian food. I recommend it for the atmosphere. Very romantic.

Patio: this is where all the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet is at and I LOVED their food here, they always have fresh dessert and fruits like sugarcane, papaya, coconut, watermelon etc.

Pool Side Grill: this is a fantastic place to have a late night snack. We were there every night around 10pm and always got the Flounder sand which! So good!

I was surprised at how good all their food were!! I have a sensitive stomach and I didn’t get sick ONCE!

Service:
I love how friendly and nice all the staff were! You usually don’t get that kind of service unless you’re at a 5 star hotel. But everyone here is always “No Problem Mon” or Yeah Mon, they are always very very nice! I’ve read that there is a no tipping policy but we loved the service everywhere we went that we didn’t mind slipping some of the staff a five here and there. The staff at the hotel don’t expect tips – but beware as soon as you get out of the hotel it is very expected! And they don’t mind reminding you many times to not forget to tip them.

If you go on shopping excursions, beware of the Crafts Market! They separate you into small groups and really use your sympathy and emotional side to sell their stuff. We bought 2 bags of Blue Mountain coffee there and the lady said it was usually $25 but she’ll sell it to us for $15. Then we went to the Taj Mahal Shopping center and the coffee was only $10!!

The room was very nice and clean – we did have some ant problems but it wasn’t bothersome. Just don’t leave food or flowers in your room. A couple of nights we slept with the balcony door open (sound of the ocean was sooo soothing) but my bf got bit really bad one night and we kept it closed the rest of the trip. Bring some insect repellent if you want, I didn’t find it necessary.

We had a nice surprise one night when they brought us a bottle of champagne and cookies! Overall – I would definitely recommend this resort! The only downside I can think of is that their beach isn’t all that big. You couldn’t really take a long walk on the beach but I didn’t care cuz all we did was lay out anyways.

2  Thank vietsilverstarz
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We went to CTI in early November and I cannot begin to describe how absolutely amazing it was! We had somewhat of bad weather (right after Hurrican Tomas) so activities weren't going on for a few days but honestly, we didn't mind at all!

We had the Garden View Room and it was really spacious with a walk-in closet, safe, huge balcony and flat screen tv. I saw other complaints about the insect noise at night but we thouroughly enjoyed this and even sat on the balcony many nights trying to figure out what made which noise and then asked the gardner, Rohan who explained all of the different insects that were out there.

We LOVED the food. The Patio Buffet has such a big selection quality food and always an awesome salad bar! The restaurants were extememly nice as well, although I prefer a little more low key. I cannot say enough about the food except..stop eating for a week beforehand because you will have 5 course meals for EVERY meal, EVERYDAY!!! I absolutely loved the cinnamon french toast every morning!!

The nightly entertainment was good too, especially the steel drum band! They were amazing! The E-Team (Entertainment Team) was so friendly and really went out their way to make your stay special. We fell in love with Kady although the rest of them were awesome as well. Kady was so friendly and she remembered everyone's name. She was constantly saying how much she enjoyed her job and it really showed.

The bartenders were all awesome especially Terri, Rohan, Ricardo, and Khaleel. They all took the time to remember your name and of course your favorite drink. The drinks were extemely good and the bar is well stocked with all premium brand liquors. Even 3 different types of cognac (my boyfriends favorite) which is really hard to find at alot of bars. The pool bar during the day is alot of fun with a bunch of different activities like trivias and bingo.

We did Dunns River Falls and it was awesome although be warned that before you can get back to the bus you have to go through a little shopping area where the locals really haggle you to buy their stuff which is all the same crap over and over again. Plus the tour guides and video guy really haggle you for tips. But this is was not a dealbreaker in the least.

All in all, the best vacation we've ever had and would not hesitate to go back!!!

3  Thank maureenchris1031
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We just returned from Couples Tower Isle a few days ago and are still talking about how this was the perfect resort for our romantic getaway. The resort was beautiful and very clean...I loved the decor! The staff was just top notch...most knew our names and they went out of our way to make our experience great. The restaurants and food were fabulous. We are pretty picky eaters and we loved every meal we had. The entertainment staff was excellent...there was always something to do. We also met a lot fo great people! We would receommend this resort to anyone looking for a wonderful, romantic vacation!

2  Thank jgoudy
Reviewed 27 November 2010

After a long flight and a long transfer (2hrs) it was great to finally get to CTI, from the moment the bus stopped we had a warm welcome from all the staff especially Andre on the front desk and Byron the porter. Check in was swift with a cold red stripe. Our room was spacious and clean as it was all week thanks to housekeeping. The food was really good all week fresh, well cooked and well presented. We ate most of our meals in the Patio Buffet Restaurant all of the serving staff were very friendly and attentive. The pool grill is a wonderful place to eat lunch with its light snacks with Devon serving you. The bars are always well staffed with friendly helpful staff. Simone at the swim up bar makes some great cocktails. The evening entertainment is all very low key but very good especially the steel band that played when we were there. If you are laid by the main pool or on the beach staff come round asking you if you would like a drink. This to us was a perfect relaxing holiday there are excursions if you want to be more active.
We will be going back to CTI soon.

2  Thank liznmike
#14 of 80 in Negril
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!