“Our special little place in the sun”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This was our second time at the Royal Plantation. We thought that the second time around might not be as impressive as the first but boy were we wrong. It was the most wonderful and relaxing vacation ever!
We arrived in Montego Bay on a Tuesday morning. Going through customs was quite fast and efficient. Soon after we were enjoying a Red Stripe at the Sandals lounge. 15 minutes later we are sitting in our private transfer and on our way to paradise. The drive is 90 minutes but the roads are nice and follow the beachside and goes through the mountains. Our driver was delightful and very informative.
Upon on arrival at RP, we were greeted from someone at the front desk with a mimosa to start our vacation the right way! After checking in, our butler Derron arrived to welcome us again and showed us to our room. Derron was our previous butler and we really liked him so we requested him once again. Our room was great! You have to appreciate the charm of this boutique style resort. Everything was in perfect working order and spotless!
Our butler offered to unpack our luggage and we accepted. We didn't want to waste any vacation time unpacking. We went down to the beach and found a nice spot under a parasol. Soon after Adrian the beach butler came to take our drink order. Let me just say that in the ten days we were there we never got up to get a drink that is how efficient Adrian and Cleon (beach butlers) are. We truly enjoyed Adrian and Cleon with their funny stories. They truly made our stay memorable! We never had a problem finding a spot in the shade and we never got up early to reserve a spot! Some days we would go golfing in the morning and found spots in the shade around 11h00 in the morning. The resort was 95% occupied. There are two beaches...east and west. We were always on the west beach. The water was nice and warm! There is a reef that results in small waves and calmer water. I really appreciated that the beach is now no smoking and it was reinforced also by the staff. They have a section next to the beach for smoking.
The food is spectacular! The quality of the food here is incredible! My favorites were the coconut shrimps, the shrimp BLT at the beach restaurant. We really enjoyed the "in the chef's hands" evening at the Terrace. The waiter asks you a few questions and the chefs prepares a brilliant meal just for you! I also like that the menu changes every night so that it doesn't get repetitive. Our favorite restaurant is Le Papillon. We had dinner there several times and it was outstanding every time. My favorite has to be the rack of lamb and the lava cake for dessert! We had Kenneth as our waiter on may nights and he was a pleasure!
Every night, we would go to the Wobbly Peacock pub to have a before dinner drink and we would also go there after dinner for a nightcap. The bartenders, Sean and Andre were the most entertaining bartenders ever. Make sure to try the Seantastic and the Kryptonite...they are wonderful! We had so much fun with the bartenders with the jokes, the magic tricks and the creative drinks that we were looking forward to spending time with them every night!
Mr. Fraser, the GM is one classy guy! He is always very present and very approachable! We chatted with him on a daily basis. He did so many nice things for us during our stay. Thank you the oxtail lunch which was wonderful! Thank you for everything! Good luck in Grenada! I know that you will do great things there! We will try to go visit you there someday!
We went golfing a few times. The golfcourse was in great condition! Our caddy Buddy was very good at giving helpful tips.
Our butlers, Derron and Dacia, were wonderful! They did so many nice things for us that I can't name them all. They were very professional and attentive to our needs! They made our vacation the most relaxing and memorable experience ever! Derron has a special place in our hearts. He has a special way of making us feel like we are the only people there! Derron is the best butler we've ever had! Best of luck to you in Turks and Caicos, my friend! Thanks for everything you did for us during our stay!
We had a couples massage at the Spa during our stay. It was amazing! Try the lava shell massage and the hot stone massage. What a treat!
We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked again for next year at the Soon come back desk before leaving. We can't wait to go back to our special little place in the sun!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront so no bad rooms!
4  Thank nicaribbean
Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Just returned from this resort and had another completely wonderful holiday. We are Diamond level returning guests and want to focus a bit on that this time to start. Your loyalty towards Sandals is appreciated and that in turn is shown to you in many special ways. However, that doesn't mean if you are a first time guest you won't be treated with the same top notch service and kindness as we were. They truly know know how to do everything right. But as you return again and again the appreciation they show you with every twist and turn you take continues to make you feel very special and appreciated.

Sandals Royal Plantation is stunning. We especially love and appreciate the "old Jamaica charm" that this original plantation exudes. The service is impeccable, the suites spacious, the beds and linens so luxurious and comfortable, and the food is always prepared to please. The menu and drink choices are comparable to those in the very finest restaurants you would find at home.

The staff are a perfect mix of professionalism with warmth and friendliness. The new hotel manager Carolyn seems like a perfect fit to RP. Special thanks to Marsha, Kelly Anne and our happy and efficient butlers Audell and Tafari.

Before I finish writing this review we would like to thank The Sandals Select returning guest program very sincerely for awarding us our 2nd complimentary week visit for completing our 140th night at Sandals. We truly have enjoyed every single day and resort but to us the Royal Plantation holds a very special place in our hearts. If you plan to visit here you too will come home with fond memories of your time spent in paradise.

3  Thank LibraOntarioCanada
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My wife and I were married 10 years ago on the 25th of April at the Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We went back this year to renew our vows in the same place for a real replication of the wonderful event. We were so very happy to find that the place that we remembered so fondly was still the best place in all of Jamaica. From the moment that we arrived we were treated with such personal service and luxury that we knew we would not want to leave. Our two butlers Donard and Adrian were top notch with their service and personal touches each night. The entire staff at the resort are so well trained and the food is beyond compare. This is the only place to stay in Ocho Rios. Mr Fraser has chosen the best staff available to make sure that the guests are fully satisfied and they do make that happen.

If you are going to or even just considering Jamaica you must come to Sandals Royal Plantation because f you do not you will not get the best and you will not be as satisfied as you possible can be. This is a highly recommend location and I feel confident that you will do the same once you stay at Royal Plantation.

Room Tip: All butler suites......they are all great!
2  Thank Steven J
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The location of the resort is a 90 minute ride from the airport. It was an enjoyable trip, we even stopped off at Scottish to get the best Jerk on the Island. As soon as we arrived, the red carpet was laid out. We were immediately upgraded to a suite which is the best room and space because it comes with an outdoor living area with a fully stocked bar and refrigerator. The beds were clean, nice, soft and dream like. The butler decorated the jacuzzi tub with flowers and bubble bath water and candles for my birthday. The staff decorated my door with a banner that said, "Happy Birthday". I was serenaded by two different bands with a Happy Birthday song and dance. The best thing about this resort is the people visiting the resort. I celebrated my birthday weekend with just about everyone at the resort. I even did a night out on the town with the staff, hope I don't get anyone in trouble for that! The food was excellent, I always try the cuisine of the places I visit and the food did not disappoint me. We did a candlelight dinner on the ocean, look into it, is all I am going to say! The facility was very clean and the beach was great you can see the bottom of the ocean! The staff was incredible, very friendly and helpful. They will engage in conversation with you and answer your every wish. For adventure we went to Dunn's River falls. It is the best 1 hour trip you can do or see in Ocho Rios. I give this place a five. I believe I met friends for life!

Room Tip: I don't know how to describe it! We were on the West wing and second floor. We had views of th...
3  Thank W0rldtraveler2012
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here in March. Private transfer from the airport, although 90 mins, was enjoyable and informative with the driver sharing local knowledge and history. Fast and efficient check in. Room was large and clean. Fresh bedding and towels every day. Mini bar was restocked every day by our butlers, Adrian and Donard. They were great, were not intrusive but always there to help when needed, booking the restaurents, booking a trip to the falls etc. on 2 occasions we returned from diving to find cheese & biscuits and fruit in the room.

We have stayed in all inclusive resorts in many places around the world. The food at the Royal Plantation was the best we have ever had. We have experienced larger selections but not better quality. There was always something good to chose.

The bar staff were great, it was always an entertaining hour or so before dinner. Thanks Guys.

Get your Butlers to book the Papion restaurant. Lovely dining experience with great food.

This was a very relaxing resort, mainly catering for couples, not really suitable for people who want to party every night.

During the day we dived. There is no dive facility at Ochos Rios so we walked 200 yards along the beach to the rather larger Sandals resort next door. The dive school was great, friendly and welcoming.

The 2 all inclusive dives were good, although quite short. Shortest 30 mins longest 40 mins. My wife still had over half a tank left on all dives. The diving could have been handled better, considering on many of the dives there were 2 dive masters with the group. More experienced divers with plenty of air should be allowed to stay down longer while less experienced/low on air divers surfacing with the one of the dive masters.

This would certainly enhance the diving experience for experienced and qualified divers.

I don't blame the dive masters, I guess this is Sandals policy and as it is part of the all inclusive package, they probably don't feel the need to change it, but it could be improved.

The 2 tank trip up to the plane wreck is worth the additional cost. (charged for the fuel as it is a 45 min boat trip) In the same dive you see 1 small ship wreck, a plane wreck and a beautiful reef at 30M if you are qualified to that depth.

Now for the bad bit. We were strongly encouraged to book what they call a "private guided dive". 2 privately guided dives, at deeper depths than most other dives at a beautiful reef were promised. I checked before we signed that we would be allowed to stay down as long as our air allowed. This was confirmed. So we signed up at $120 each.

Once on the boat we were surprised to find 4 other divers had also signed up, but still only one dive master. Private!!

First dive only lasted 35 min, but we were at 30 metres for most of that so the no decompression time (and my air consumption) actually dictated the dive time. It was a nice dive, the reef was slightly better that previous dive sites, but not quite as good as it had been sold.

After only a 30 min surface interval, we were now asked to get ready for the second dive at a new location (just 5 mins from the previous one). By the time we started to descend, surface interval was actually 40 mins. Thinking the 2nd dive site would be a shallow dive we were surprised to find the reef was at 20 metres. Having almost run out of bottom time on the first dive it didn't take long before we had to head to the surface due to no decompression time. Dive time was 30 mins, over half a tank of air left. Not impressed.

My recommendation, do the inclusive dives. don't waste your money on private guided dives, they will probably not be private, the reef was not that much better than all the other reefs in the area, dive time will still be at the mercy of the person with highest air consumption. The trip was not good value for money and in my opinion almost dangerous.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CJM1955
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We traveled to this lovely resort on March 22, 2013 with 2 other couples. When we arrived, we were offered an upgrade to the villa at the Royal Plantation. We had checked avaliablility of the villa a year before, but ended up reserving 3 separate rooms. The villa is normally very hard to reserve. Peter Frasier, the lincreible GM of the property, met us when we arrived and asked if we would all still be interested. To say we were delighted with this upgrade was to put it mildly! Our 9 days in the villa with our family and best friends has to be the best vacation we have have ever experienced. Our wonderful butler, Oratio, and our lovely housekeeper, Claudine, treated us like long lost family members. We have never been so pampered or comfortable on any trip we have ever made. People who tell you that this property and the people who work so hard to make your experience a total delight, are not exagerating in the least.

The villa is a three bedroom home with a huge living room and dining room, a private pool, patio, full kitchen, and outdoor dining area. Our butler lived within the villa and was there 24 hours a day with us. Each bedroom has a private entrance to the pool and beach. Each bedroom has a private bathroom and walk-in closet. The bathrooms need a little updating, which is occuring in May, but we were well satisfied with rooms, and delighted with the ambiance of the villa as a whole.

FOOD: We binged on lobster for several days by eating it at every meal. Lobster omlets, lobster BLT for lunch, and grilled lobster. It was perfectly done, and for those of you who have tried lobster at other properties in the Caribbean know that this is hard to find. Every meal was delightful. Some days we stayed in the villa and others we went to the restaurants. It didn't matter where we dined, our meals were perfectly presented, perfectly cooked, and perfectly served. Try the yummy jerk chicken, amond crunch ice cream sundies, hot pudding cake, and everything at Jamaica night. The quality of the fruit and desserts was excellent. Every morning, our butler brought us warm pastry and fresh fruit with our coffee.
ENTERTAINMENT: the music and evening entertainment was first class. We purchased a CD from Rajella and JR Rockers (not sure about the spelling) to take home the memories of the wonderful music. The dancing and the Sandals team who are in charge of the evening entertainment have so much energy and joy that it's contagious. We left every night smiling and happy.
OUTINGS: we went on the bicycle ride in the Blue Mountains. This was a great tour, and one that we really enjoyed, Besides the 14 mile bike ride (mostly downhill, thank heavens), breakfast and lunch, we stopped a small primary school on the side of the mountain and had the most lovely, precious children sing to us. What an experience!
We also participated in the yoga class at the resort and had interesting discussions with Maji, the remarkable instructor.
PEOPLE: besides the tour and resort, we also went into Ocho Rios to mass at a local Catholic church on Sunday. The church had a visiting priest from Michigan along with 66 young people from the school he taught at doing community work in Ocho Rios. The singing and the people in the church were so welcoming and the mass was inspirational. if you have never heard the celebration of mass done to a Reggae beat including a bongo drum, you have missed a wonderful experience! When we returned from mass, we were welcomed home by Claudine and Oratio waiting for us with a typical Jamaican Sunday dinner - fried chicken, beans and rice, greens and macaroni and cheese. It rained a little that afternoon, so Oratio taught us how to play dominoes Jamaican style while listening to island music on the stereo. It was a perfect day.

We'd like to thank everyone at the resort for such a memorable, perfect vacation. Peter, you run a wonderful establishment, and your constant presense in every area is remarkable. Oratio, you were the best butler and host anyone could ask for. Claudine, you are a lovely lady and we appreciate all your hard work at keeping the villa perfect. I'd wash dishes with you any day!

We did go a couple of times to the Grand next door. It's a quite a bit more bustling, but we had a good time going down the slide into the pool and shopping at their gift shops. I'm sure that if you like a bigger, very busy resort that this is good place to vacation. The Plantation will bring you over and pick you up and you can walk over via the beach.

Now, we just have to make it until next year with only our dreams of Jamaica to get us through!

Room Tip: I think you would be happy with anywhere in the resort. It appears that all the rooms have nice vie...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank av8tr
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Sorry for posting this review a little late.

I went to Sandals Royal Plantation with my sister to celebrate our birthdays. First time travelling with my sister. We are 52 and 57 but very young at heart. oh by the way this was my first Sandals and not my last. Going for two weeks next time and will try Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, one week each.

To give you an idea of the Resorts we normally vacation at: The Royal Cancun, The Royal in Playa del Carmen, Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica, Musket Cove in Fiji.

First the resort:

The resort is small but beautiful. It is a true Caribbean feel. From the furnitures to the frames on the wall to the flowers on the entry centre table, everything was perfect. Big comfy chairs with cushions, the place is super clean. The garden are well manicured and lets not forget those peacocks rooming around, that was awesome. You will notice that in some area you can notice the age of the resort but it gives it a bit of charms. All the washrooms in the resorts, near the restaurants or on the beach where very nice and always super clean. The staff does an amazing job at it.

The check in was a breeze however I have to say that the people working behind the counter at the reception where they only un-friendly people we meet on our entire vacation. They where not rude, just very un-smilling. I did required their help for a couple of issues and all of them gave me the feeling that I was annoying them. Not the best for the reception of an Resort, did not give me a good first impression. However, this is the only issue we encounter with staff.

Ok, back to the resort. We got to our room, forgot the number sorry, on the first floor, which is about 15 feet from the ground on the west wing with a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was clean and nicely furnished. The bathroom had a separate shower, a jetted tub and a separate zinc (one). The bathroom is pretty small, the two of us could not do our makeup at the same time, nor could your husband shaved with you put your makeup one. Our room did not have a balcony and since we are smokers, I would make sure to reserve a room with balcony.

The beach:

The beach are split in two sections, east and west. West is non smoking and East is. The beaches are small but the ocean is warm, no rocks and the sand is hard like cement, really lovely.
The beach chairs are ready to be changed, this is about my only complaint about this resort, the beach chairs, most are broken and really run down, this should not be in a 5* resort. We pay good money to be there and the chairs where so bad, we had difficulties taking a snooze because they where uncomfortable. The service at the beach was a bit slow, understandably since the main bar was further from the west wing. It is not by any mean Negril's beach but it is very nice.

The restaurant:

All the restaurants are really good.

The papillon, the French restaurant was awesome, the lobter was to die for, the snails where tender and the garlic butter the best I had on any trip. The food was well presented, cook to perfection and the service was superbe. Papillon was my favorite.

The terrace was a very good option at lunch, we tried the small plate menu at lunch and all the small plates where tasty with fresh ingredients and they did put some time on the presentation. Big important thing to mention for wine drinkers, beringer wine was really good. My sister is a wine connaisseur and she was really happy with the selection, did not feel the need to order any wine from the $$ wine menu.
We did also enjoyed a couple of dinner on the terrace but the lighting (too dark) was an issue for me. The service throughout the resort is the best I have experience at any all inclusive resort.

The Royal grill was a nice beach option for lunch. Too casual for me for dinner, I like to dress up and have a nice dinner. The coconut shrimps, the jerk chicken where very good but the entire menu was well prepared. The service can be a bit long but...hey your on vacation, relax have a drink or two and listen to the waves.

The tea terrase was really fun for tea at 4:00 and 5:00 with tea cucumber and cream cheese, smoked salmon sandwiches, scones and little pastry. All where freshly done and serve the English way.

Wobbly Peacock: English pub

That was a lot of fun, band and DJ where there to entertain and some of the staff gave us a dance show that we will never forget. The entertainment team Jason and Oshane where so much fun. You guys are the best. Thanks for the aerobic lesson in the pool also. We also meet a lot of nice people that I would of love to chat with a lot more but since my sister does not speak English (she is French) it did limit my interaction. Did not want to play the translator all the time.

The pool is really small but warm like a bath and mostly empty. We would lay around the pool in the morning and move to the beach in the afternoon. We where at the most, four people around th pool. Also, there is a lot of stairs at this resort, could be an issue for people with walking dissability.

The buttler service:

Ok, this is an area I know a lot of people are not sure if they will enjoy. We did talk to some guests and they had the same concern when they arrive but LOVED the service and would love to experience it again. Like I mentioned before, will go to Sandals WH and Sandals RC next time and will pay extra to get the buttler service, it is however all buttler service at the Sandals Royal Plantation.
The buttler service will make sure vacation a lot easier. You are given a phone to communicate with your buttler. If you want some different alcohol in your room, restaurant reservations, some food delivered at the beach. They are there to please. The had our room set up for the night with something special every night. They touch base with us, in person, a couple of times a day to make sure that everything was ok. They are there but not to the point to annoy you.
Jamaican have a wonderful sense of humour and I had some interesting chats with some of them.
Our buttlers for our entire vacation where Richard and Sheldon. Thanks guys for the funny towel art, the chocolate, our favorite alcohol and everything else. You guys where the best. Very classy also.

Red lane spa:
OMG...we had the Royal bliss massage, wanted to go back but not enough time. Please try their spa treatment. The best I have experience ever. The Royal bliss is relaxing but not too hard, I had a sunburn and was concerned about not being able to handle it, our buttler call the spa and enquire for us on what kind of massage would be the best for sensitive, burned skin and they suggested the Royal bliss.....pure bliss it was. The spa is super clean, the lighting is perfect and the staff is extremly profesionnal. You have to give the spa a try. I also pruchase some product to help with the sunburn and the product prices are reasonable and the products where very good.

A special thanks to the following staff:
Oshane, your are the best....funny, stlylish and wow...what a dancer.
Alieka, thanks for your awesome service and those beautiful smiles.
Jason, aerobic where the best and what about these evening at the pubm you made our vacation something to remember - Thanks again
Mr. Fraser, thank you for enquiring of our well being and also for making this resort a "one of a kind" we can see and experience your management skill every where on the resort. I just wonder how many hours a day you work? Chapeau!!!!

Will I be back again???? for sure, with my husband next time. It is a quiet resort but with the crazy and busy life we have it is a nice way to go an recharge the batteries.

Thanks again all and hope to see you soon.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me (send me a private message). Je peux aussi repondre a vos questions en francais. Cela me fera plaisir.

Alexandra (Alex)

Room Tip: All th rooms have an ocean view, the only thing, if you want a balcony, book it ahead, there are not...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!