Unfortunately you cannot photograph service, because if you could the picture would be breathtaking. The Sandals Royal Plantation surpasses every expectation in service and cuisine. The only disappointment is that unless we visit again (which we will) all other vacations will be subpar. Understand that this write-up will not do diligence to how the staff can impact your vacation. Ranked the second best resort in Jamaica, I’m surprised it doesn’t top the chart.
Not being one to photograph food and bore people with them later, I couldn’t help but fill a camera roll with the meals. Presentation was creative, selection was outstanding, and the flavours were complimentary. Being fortunate enough to have eaten at some of the world’s finest restaurants, I can safely say that the Royal Plantation can play with the best of them. You must eat there to know what I am talking about. When you’re having trouble deciding between the rack of lamb or the steak and lobster, they’ll happily offer you both.
Pampered and spoiled. From the moment we arrived to the Sandals Lounge at Montego Bay airport, to the final goodbye delivered by the manager and our new friends (staff of the resort), Royal Plantation staff were but a request away to serve our every need. My wife and I were fortunate enough to receive Sean and Fiona as our butlers for our 9-day stay. Courtesy calls, surprises in our rooms, arranging dinners, local advice, and friendly chats were just the beginning of what they provided. I cannot express my gratitude for the relaxation and romantic touches they accented our honeymoon with. Their passion for service coupled with their genuine kindness, made saying goodbye to paradise and new friends that much more difficult.
Shout outs for service that went above and beyond are also owed to: Adrian, Larkland, Andre, Dowarge, Natalia, Jason, Oshane, Orane, Romane, Sheldon, Delgaurdo, and Dennis (from Sandals Grand Riviera).
Having visited some of the world’s best beaches in the South Pacific, I can safely say The Royal Plantation beach rivals some of the finest. While it is somewhat small, the water is an exotic turquoise and the sand is pure and fine. The staff maintain it hourly by sweeping away anything washed up by the sea and scan the area with snorkels for anything prickly. If you find you are getting a little too warm from the Jamaican sun, the staff are there to cool you off with cucumbers for the eyes and a rose water mist at the snap of a finger.
The pool is somewhat disappointing as it doesn’t offer much of a view and is clearly quite dated. However, they are currently building a beachside coldcuzzi, which will be a nice improvement.
The nightly performances were great. Jason and Oshane do an excellent job of picking up the energy in what could otherwise be a little too quiet at times. If you want complete relaxation this is the place, but if you are looking for a little more nightlife you will want to take the 24-hour free courtesy shuttle to any of the other sandals resorts just a two-minute drive away. Personally, I like the option of partying somewhere else and returning to peace and quiet at your own little piece of paradise.
Roaming Peacocks, extravagant fountains, and immaculate gardens are only a few of the small touches that make this classically rich architecture pop in what is already a naturally beautiful location. Workers are constantly maintaining and improving the resort.
Stay at the Plantation and visit the nearby sandals resorts for entertainment and meal alternatives. You have access to all of the Sandals grounds, while no other guests have access to the Royal Plantation.
Tip your driver to and from the airport ($20-$30)
Tip your butlers according to their service, but do remember their earnings are dependent on your tips as they are paid differently than the rest of the staff.
Do the wreck dive. Having dove some amazing locations like the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsundays, this dive is still of interest.
Visit Scotchies (off the resort) for some of the best jerk chicken and pork.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Priceline, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios