“Paradise Again!”

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Dallas, Texas
“Paradise Again!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently spent July 23-August 2 at RP-our fourth visit! We absolutely love this resort! I will hit the Pros and Cons of this visit.

Cons-Our check-in process did not impress us. After receiving our welcome drink and fresh towel, we sat for about 10 seconds before being direct to STANDING IN LINE at the front desk to check in. Neither our previous 3 trips at RP or our trip to Emerald Bay included standing in a line to check in. We are accustomed to having the check-in process being done while we are seated and relaxed after a long trip instead of standing in a line behind others. Not a good first impression. Also, if you are entitled to a 10% discount for being a fireman/woman or military individual----be sure to bring your proper identification EVEN if you have shown it before on previous visits, given it to your travel agent, etc. Just bring it again!

The Returning Guest Dinner was very lack luster. The GM was not there and we especially wanted to meet him after our relationship with Peter Frazier. (In fact the several times we asked about him, we were told he was "off-property"). During the dinner, there was also no mention of the Foundation or relationship with the Mansfield School. We have supported and visited this school on several occasions and had hoped to hear about them at the dinner.

Pros-Food at RP has always been good but it was EXCEPTIONAL this time. Cudos to the Chef and the new Food and Beverage Director!! As something different to do, we traveled next door and ate at China Doll and Kokomos. We enjoyed the experience but food was so much better at RP.

Last but not least-we so appreciated our butlers Chase and Donard. They made our trip fabulous and helped us celebrate our 25th anniversary!!! They are the best!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank belwil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Korean first
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I spent a lovely week at this hotel from 3-10 August. We were celebrating nothing in particular - just being alive, happy and still in love. It was a wonderful experience, perhaps the best of our several previous stays there. The small property is beautiful and easy to navigate (despite the challenging irregular steps down to the beach) and we found the staff readily attentive to our every need, but never obtrusive. The butler system worked particularly well for us and our team of Fiona and Sean was simply superb. The food was, as usual, great and we enjoyed the added bonus of a wonderful evening out at Valentino's, the Italian restaurant at the Sandals Grand Riviera resort next door.

For us, the only downside of the stay was the evening entertainment, which was barely better than average. I know that this resort caters to an older - perhaps even more sedate - crowd, but Jamaica has an abundance of talented entertainers and I'm sure that with some more effort a more varied offering could be assembled, even for the older folk!

But overall, it was great and we'll certainly be back.

8 Thank CDennis_12
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I vacationed at the Royal Plantation from August 8th to the 15th following the recommendation of our travel agent Mike McHugh of Dreammakers Vacations. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. Having never been to a Sandals property before, we were not sure what to expect. We read many glowing reviews before our visit, but many of them were from people who were Sandals regulars. As this was our third adults-only all inclusive, we can only compare our stay to the other upscale chains we visited. My review is based on three categories: service, food, and facility.

Service: First, let me say the service at this hotel was the best we have ever experienced. That's not to say that service at the other vacation spots was lacking. This service was extraordinary. Our butlers Chase and Donard were always ready to help us. Our request list was followed. After the beach, they brought afternoon snacks back to our room. Everything from cheese and crackers, shrimp, fruit, and even sushi arrived daily. Fresh brewed morning coffee with a pastry basket arrived each morning at an early requested time. They arranged for an excursion, massages, as well as tee times for my husband to play golf. They even made sure he had the same knowledgeable caddy each round. They asked us if we wanted them to walk us to dinner. We refused as the resort is quite small and we knew we could find the restaurants by ourselves. They arrived during meals as well as on the beach asking if we needed their services. I don't know what else they could have done for us. Well done, guys! We met Mr. Grant the manager and Ms. Cousins, the assistant manager. Lovely people. Mr. Grant even had brighter bulbs installed in our bathroom when I mentioned that I found it difficult to see.

Facility: The resort has an understated elegance about it. We stayed in a Great House Suite. We were hoping for an upgrade to a balcony, but that didn't happen. With only eleven balcony rooms on the premises, the likelihood of an upgrade is not good. The room was ample, but I will say the bathroom is small with only one sink. Initially, we missed the balcony, but we got used to not having one. This is the first time our room lacked a balcony on our vacation. The gym is small, but had the equipment I use. Few people used the gym while I was there. The beaches are small, but quite beautiful. The sand is soft without rocks and the water is clear. We never had any trouble getting beach loungers.

Food: This resort has the best food we have ever eaten at an all-inclusive. The coconut shrimp, beer battered fish, lobster BLTs at the Royal Grill were great. Dinner at Papillon was terrific each of our three meals. Breakfast was also good. Drinks were regularly brought to us on the beach. The desserts were also quite good!

Overall, we had a great time. There s a 1 and 1/2 hour drive from the airport which was a pain. We like to try new resorts, so I am not sure about returning, especially if the rates continue to climb.

6 Thank jscw6
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This property is really a great place in Ocho Rios. It is an all around beautiful spot with incredible amenities. The population is a bit older than the other Sandals but that may be due to the higher rate. If you want more activity they are happy to shuttle you to another property. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AvFlyer172
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have traveled all over the Caribbean and this is now our second home. The atmosphere, amenities and the food and drink are superb, but it is the staff that makes this place a must visit. We have never encountered staff like this anywhere in all of our travels. No matter who it is or what they do they are great. We have been there twice in the last 8 months, we are returning this December and have already booked two more visits for next year. All ocean view suites, all butler suites, only 74 rooms, perfect for us. You have to visit here just once and you will fall in love with this resort and most importantly the staff.

Room Tip: all ocean view, all butler so no real bad room, but you for best view look for third (top) floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank foodandwifelover
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed 19 August 2014

If this is in your budget range and you have not visited, you are missing out of a wonderful vacation.

This is not a high energy resort, you can always take excursion packages or visit another Sandals property. Hotel is small enough to make friends and discrete enough if you want privacy. This should be the #1 hotel in Ochos Rios, if not Jamaica. This is my opinion and others may look for different criteria for excellence.

I have been here three times before, the last time was three years ago. Everytime it is better than the time before. Stayed for nine days during first of August 2014.

1) Service is #1, from your Butler, waiter staff, Chef, or any employees on the property. Example, I mentioned I had never had "jelly" coconut at the Manager's get together. Frank, Security Manager, made sure I had some delivered via my butler for lunch the next day. If your are not having a good time, it is your own fault.
2) Service, i just thoght I would mention it again. Everyone is there for you.
3) Friendly. This is it not the canned, pre-packaged friendliness, but a genuine graciousness. Take a moment to talk to the staff, they are warm and friendly. i call them my "jamaican cousins". They treated me as a good friend and I learned alot about jamaica.
4) Facility. It is a beautiful, one of a kind hotel. The decor is from a more gracious and elegant time. It is not a cookie cutter resort. The paintings, sculptures, landscaping and furniture are the real deal, not reproductions. And everything is maintained by a caring staff.
5) Food. Overall the food is great. i felt better and healthier after eating the food. i am not kidding, fresh, fresh, fresh vegatables, fruits, the food put a cure on me.

A few staff shout outs, but everyone was great. Butlers, Orayne and Marvin they did everything to make the experience great. Lorna, gift shop (great little gift shop), so helpful and friendly, like your favorite aunt. Marco, sommelier, invited us to a wine tasting. It was fun and educational, As I have said and repeat, everyone from the General Manager to the beach staff are there for you. The GM, staff, our Butler and others were at the entry, when we left to see us off and wave to us as we drove away.

We had the couples massage, my has massages back home, but not as good as these.

All three restaurants are great. Royal Grill on the beach at night, very romantic. Le Pappalion (sp) is classic french with Jamaican flair and the Terrace is the best place for the evening music and programs. The soups are to die for, do not knock them til you try them.

This is a great place to relax and unwind. From the number of young couples to honeymoom or get married, as well. I just can not say enough good things about our vacation.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, face the ocean. West wing has elevator for the four floors, East wing does...
8 Thank smithtrout
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have traveled to most of the Sandals Resorts with my husband and this offers the most privacy and excellent service. Not too much going on at this resort but relaxing. We really enjoyed doing absolutely nothing but being pampered by our butlers. Breakfast in bed everyday if you wish. Room decorated with rose petals after dinner. We enjoyed eating dinner at the resort next door Sandals Grande Riviera our butler took us to dine next door and we took a free shuttle back to our resort when we were done eating. For lunch we would walk on the beach to the resort next door Sandals Grande Riviera. If you want to do any tours highly recommend the Dunn's River Falls tour which is like 5 minutes from this resort. If you want something special during your stay I would pay for the romantic candlelight dinner they really make it special for the two of you. We also enjoyed couples massage. Food and service was superb at this resort. Booked our trip with 2 Travel Anywhere, llc

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have balconies to sit outside you have to upgrade your room if that is important t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!