“Unforgettable- Loved it”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Fort Collins CO
“Unforgettable- Loved it”
Reviewed 20 April 2006

My husband and I went to RP for our honeymoon last June 05. The resort was petite and beautiful... the rooms were fabulous and the bed was so comfortable it was hard to get up each day. We took naps inside just because of the bed! We had a room on the right wing of the resort and it was on a corner so we had two balconies. We immediately ordered blue mountain coffee & a huge bottle of vodka. ALL FREE. They only down side was the beach was small. That didn't stop my hubbie and i from having a blast though! The service was top notch and while we were there it was so quite it seemed like there were 5 waiters per guest sometimes! The spa was very relaxing and we had a couples massage. We also played tennis and my husband wind surfed. The instructor was great he said. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2005
12 Thank Thompsa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 April 2006

A quick review: Royal Plantation is an excellent resort and we enjoyed our stay. If you don't usually stay at 5-star places, you will be think is great. If you are used to the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons, you will think it is very good. We stayed in the premium oceanfront suite, which was surprisingly large with walk-in closet, good view of the ocean, very comfortable beds, large bathroom. Service was very good, although there were some failures in communication and knowledge sharing between the front desk and the "sales office". Beach is small, but private with plenty of room for chairs. We did not do the inclusive package, but would recommend it if you plan on drinking a lot and eating three meals a day - otherwise, it is a toss-up on costs. Do not expect to go off the resort for dinning - Jamaica is sketchy and there aren't any non-resort restaurants worth eating at, so you won't save any costs there. Our best dinning experience at Royal Plantation was Flambe. Overall, the food was good, but not excellent. Portions are small - I can understand some reviewers complaints in this department. Generally, we weren't thrilled with the menus. We highly recommend getting the Love Royal Bundle, which includes a private pier dinner (very romantic) and a private picnic lunch - they give you three bottles of wine for each occasion (you can stockpile for later if you are not all-inclusive). We had multiple services at the spa, which was very good. No kids are allowed.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank InTheMunee
San Jose, California
Reviewed 17 April 2006

We had our wedding and honeymoon at RP.

Overall, we loved the resort and would go back. Our suite was wonderful, very clean (and kept that way every day). The hotel employees were all extremely courteous and helpful. Some people have mentioned the drive from the airport to RP and they are correct, the drive is pretty bad due to the road conditions. The food was good, though not worth the prices you would be charged if you choose not to purchase the all-inclusive plan. And, with only 3 restaurants there, you can get a bit tired of the somewhat limited selection (depends on how long you stay there and such). If you are looking for a relaxing lay-on-the-beach vacation, this is it.

As for the wedding, Andre was great, as was David. But...there were some things I felt could have been better. First, our ceremony was scheduled for 4:00pm, and they suggested we use the pier gazebo for the ceremony. I wish they would've suggested that we go and see what the gazebo is like at 4:00pm because the sun was in my eyes during the entire ceremony. Maybe it was our responsiblity since it was our wedding, but what is a wedding coordinator for if not to point out things you might not think of on your own? They also could've mentioned that it can be quite windy on the pier, as it was that day. So I had the sun literally right in my eyes during the entire ceremony, plus it was quite windy so my hair kept blowing in my eyes and mouth as well. Also, we had to pick out a few songs - one for me to walk down the aisle (pier) to, one to be played while we signed the wedding certificate and a first dance song. While they did have music available, I wish they would tell you ahead of time so that you could arrive prepared (in case there was something specific you might want played). Then, there was our wedding video. It was nice and well-done for the most part, but there is a few minutes of a cheesy intro where they play 80's love ballads (such as Air Supply). It would be nice if they would at least give you some options for type of music for the video intro. The pictures turned out pretty nice for the most part. But, there were some pictures where one of us had our eyes closed and the photographer did not retake them, so there were pictures we would've liked, but didn't buy because of this.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank lynnlynnTravel
Appleton, WI
Reviewed 12 April 2006

First of all, I have to say THANK YOU to everyone that took the time to write a review on this website. After ALOT of research on where to take our vacation this year, the reviews were the reason we decided to go to Royal Plantation and we are so glad that we did! We stayed for 8 nights and had the best vacation ever! Normally, we like to go someplace different each year for our "big" vacation but in all honesty, this is the first place that I HAVE to go back too!The staff was incredible, the hotel was extremely beautiful and clean. The food was outstanding and they had many different specials and choices to choose from everyday. Despite what some people have written in their reviews, the portions were more than adequate. Each day "our" beach butler (I say ours just because this kid seemed to be waiting for us to arrive each day) had our chairs waiting for us facing the sun just the way we liked it and even had flowers on my chair each day. We stayed in a suite that had 2 different views facing the water and it was incredible. The beach was kept in pristine condition at all times as well as the pool and whirlpool. The watersports were excellent as well! This isn't a place to go and expect alot of partying going on late into the night (bar closes at 1:00 and we only managed to stay that late 2 nights) but after all the fun you have during the day you're pretty much ready to get some sleep by that time. Again, the staff is what really makes this place stand out. I know that I'll always compare it with every place I stay in the future and I'm sure that nowhere will ever match the outstanding service we received from each and every employee we had the pleasure of meeting! Royal Plantation exceeded every expectation that we had!

• Stayed April 2006
14 Thank Traveler100000
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 April 2006

We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Royal Plantation. We were interested in a small, intimate and exquisite property with high service levels and we got that and much more from RP. We started our vacation with a private town car ride from the airport to the hotel. Our driver was a doll and he made sure we had enough food and drink to make the 2 hour trip just fly by! Our check in was effortless and we were wisked right to our room which was stunning. We loved the bed and the ocean view was breathtaking. The beach butler service and amenities were more than you could hope for and the intimate resort made relaxing on the beach a breeze.

The food was excellent and Chef Dennis made sure my husband, who is a particular eater, was happy with every meal. The private dinner on the pier was just lovely. We were celebrating our engagement anniversary with a repeat of a pier dinner from the year before at another property and the RP version was outstanding. Special mention goes out to our Butler, Cleon, who made us feel extra special that night.

The spa was just a joy and we were truly treated like royalty. The selection of options is almost too much to choose from but we were very happy with the services and the staff.

There are many choices for food from room service to service on the beach, casual dining to 5 star choices and there's more than enough to choose from. They are very willing to make anything you might want and the Monday night BBQ was a cornucopia of selections.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is truly interested in a high level of service, great rooms and views and friendly and attentive staff.

I always say that you get what you pay for and with RP, you truly get more than you expect!!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 April 2006

I loved everything about this resort..It was special in so many ways...We needed a vacation badly, and this hotel became our paradise...great people, superb management, wonderful food, great ambience. We stayed here for the 3rd time...and loved it even more....
Suzanne and Peter are remarkaable and passionate managers...and every detail is looked at every day.
Loved the spa, the tennis with Esther, Durrant's care...I could go on and on.
We have traveled everywhere and this is one of our favorites spots in the world.
A gem...

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed 31 March 2006

We spent our honeymoon at this hotel, and after a few stays at some wonderful hotels around the hotel we were a little worried that we might be setting our expectations too high. However, as it happened the hotel was exceptional in every way. It was unfortunate that I fell ill just before I arrived which could have completely ruined our honeymoon and a very important time in our lives, however the staff were the best we have come across yet and went right out of their ways to try and make me feel more comfortable and to enjoy my stay. If you are looking for total relaxation, pure luxury, superb food, beautiful settings, and to feel totally looked after, then the Royal Plantation is the right choice for you.

6 Thank MrsM07
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!