“5 star Paradise!!!”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Miami, FL
“5 star Paradise!!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2006

My boyfriend and I went to the Royal Plantation from May 26 through May 30, 2006. We had such a great time!; we did not want to leave this resort!

When we arrive at MBJ we realized that AA did not board our luggage to the plane; we were so disappointed at the airline! Anyways that's another story. We went to the SANDALS section/room at the airport and they offer us drinks and/or refreshments! Then we met up with our driver David, which he really nice. The ride fro MBJ to Ocho Rios was about 2 hours; I really thought that I was going to get car sick when I read all the previous reviews but actuallity it was not bad at all. It could be worst.

When we arrive at the hotel, we where greeted upon arrival and they offered us champagne. Also, we told them about our luggage incident and they told us not to worry about it, that they will take care of calling the airline. In which they did; the following day our luggage was in our room at 6 pm, they went to MBJ airport and pick it up for us!!! That's 5 star service to us!

Our room was great; we stayed in luxury oceanfront suite. The room was really nice! We even got to see to NBA playoffs from our room! GO HEAT!!!

The food was great; I ate lobster almost every day for lunch at the Bayside restaurant!!!

I highly recommend this resort we had a phenomenal time. The resort is the most beautiful resort in ocho rios, the service is great, and Jamaica is awesome!

Also if you want a party atmosphere, the RP will give you a pass to go next door to Sandals. They also offer free shuttle service to Margarita Ville on Monday's (I think).

We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank bianca79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Korean first
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2006

This property is exceptional. The property overlooks a beautiful beach where gardens that are meticulously manicured showcase a breathtaking view of a royal blue ocean.

The decor reminds one of the old style charm of a very upscale British resort 75 years ago. The sleeping rooms are spacious and present a breathtaking view of the gardens and ocean.

The only thing that is better than the view and the ambiance of the setting is the remarkable level of service. The staff is friendy, helpful, attentive and well trained in providing upscale service in every aspect of the property from the dining room, to the beach, to the pool and in the room. This staff simply sets the standard for service

You can expect a magical experience.

10 Thank DrWCarroll
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2006

We were at the Royal Plantation from 6/29-7/03/06 so we missed the filming of the movie, but we did get to see some stars :) We LOVED this hotel. We flew into Montego Bay and the ride from the airport is about 2 hours and was very interesting. Hopefully you will be blessed with a driver as awesome as ours was- david. He brought the red stripes and made the stop at the Ultimate Jerk for us. We had him order since he could tell us what was best! The road is about 70% paved and the rough spots weren't as terrible as some people claim. i guess if we arrived in the evening and took the drive at night it might be another story. As many mentioned, it was an opportunity to witness the poverty of this country, and to realize how lucky we all are here in the US. The staff was very inviting and we were lucky to stay in the Prime Minister suite which had the most comfortable bed and two separate terraces which we took full advantage of. There were 1 1/2 bathrooms and both were magnificent- the whirlpool bath and large walk-in shower were very clean. The beach is a little small but was never too crowded and the pool was refreshing. We did not mind the size because whenever we were there, hardly anyone else was! We had an incredible experience at the Spa and definitely recommend the Royal Plan- unless of course you plan to leave often, which we couldn't get ourselves to do once! Keep in mind if you are on the Royal Plan and choose to have any other wine than that on the house list (which is very limited), there is a charge which we weren't too surprised about. Food is very good although we would have liked some more choices on the room service late night menu; once we asked for a few red stripes and they delivered them in a large bucket with ice so that made up for it! We joked about some of the reviews posted about this hotel and just feel that the people who complained must just be really picky. if you want to get away from it all, be pampered and relax in a very clean, laid back and welcoming environment, then this is the place to do it! We definitely plan to go back to Royal Plantation.

• Stayed July 2006
15 Thank jessica31200
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 July 2006

My husband and I recently enjoyed our first visit to Jamaica and the Royal Plantation resort. We arrived on Saturday, July 1st and were worried our driver may not be there to greet us because we were delayed in Atlanta due to a mechanical problem for an hour and a half. After clearing customs, we were even later so were pleasantly surprised when we spotted our driver at the pick up point waiting patiently for us. He had been there since 11:45 in the HOT SUN!!! The drive to the resort was rough in spots but not as bad as envisioned. We stayed in a premium room and it was VERY nice with a great view and comfortable bed.
While there, a movie called "License To Wed" starring Robin Williams, Mandy Moore, and John Krazinski from the tv show "The Office" was being filmed. Some of the guests complained because the resort had portions closed off due to the fiming. They felt they were being slighted by this but I didn't see it that way! I was lucky enough to have a "once in a lifetime" experience to photograph (even with the main stars, especially Robin) and it was GREAT!!!!
Mr. Frazier was a very "wonderful host" and even prepared special meals for my husband who had come down with a bit of a stomach problem while we were there. All the places to eat were WONDERFUL and the staff is the GREATEST!!!
I hope to go back again someday although the memories made by this vacation are beyond comparison for sure.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank paulette d
Reviewed 2 July 2006

Royal Plantation was great! The ride there was not as bad as some have mentioned. I would say about 70-80% of the road was finished. Some parts were more bumpy then others. What was so surprising to me was the poverty. We expected it, but not to the extent of what we saw. It really is an eye opener of how spoiled we are in the US. I really enjoyed the ride because it was the true Jamaica. As expected, the hotel decor was amazing. We arrived and were greeted with cold towels, and a drink. The service was great, but a little slow , as expected. The beach was small, but plenty of room for some privacy. The ocean floor bottom was also very smooth. The rooms were beautiful, though our hot tub we could tell was not cleaned when we arrived. We did have a very small problem for a couple of days with some very small black ants. As soon as we informed the hotel, they took care of it. The honeymoon grande luxe suite was worth it for the huge walk out balcony. The food was great, but the most enjoyable was Papillion for the food and decor. All in all the best part was the decor and view of the ocean from all points of the resort. It is very relaxing, and quaint. We also went to Jamaica Inn for dinner next door, which was also amazing. We chose RP because it has more then one restaurant, but we may want to stay at Jamaica Inn if we go back to Jamaica. Its not my favorite island, but it was very enjoyable and really there are no complaints about the resort at all. Snorkeling is at 11 and 2 every day. We went twice. It is only a five minute ride out, and you can stay out for 45 minutes. There were only one or two other couples with us when we went. There are many fish, and it was worth it. Please note, you really cant snorkel right off the beach. Reservations are needed for dinner, except for Bayside. At Papillion you can eat in or out. Flambe is inside, and Bayside is outside only. Any questions, post it on the forum and I willl try my best to answer.

15 Thank BermudaObsessed
New York
Reviewed 1 July 2006

This reosrt was gorgeous and the food was great, but what truly set this resort apart was the level of service. They took care of everything!!

20 minutes after I arrived the picture tube on the new TV in my room blew, whle I was watching a World Cup game - these things happen, so I called down to the front desk and let them know. They had another TV up immediately and 2 hours later the general manager called to say that he understood there had been an incident and was there anything he could do.

At another point I asked for a private horse ride, because i was an experienced rider. They didn't have one, but called around and arranged for a private ride. While I was on the ride they called the stables to make sure everything was okay and then checked in with me again when I returned to see if I was satisfied.

Truly, the resort was 5 stars, but what sets this place apart was how fantastic the service was. I would highly recommend this to any couple just trying to get away from it all.

6 Thank Tournoi511
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2006

Let me preface this review with one thing - THE ROAD TO OCHO RIOS BITES!!!!! You will have all of your inner organs jostled as you travel this road. I dont think the road to Negril was ever this bad. Once you get to Royal Plantation you forget the ride and start to unwind. We were greeted by Dwight and started the check-in procedure which was a breeze as we had pre-registered. You will be given something to drink (we picked champagne) and one of the coolest towels to cool yourself off with. I almost didnt want to give it back. You give them a CC for "incidental" charges and are off to your suite. What I found interesting is that when any of the staff enters your room, they take their shoes off. The room was just as pictured and we had a wonderful view of the ocean, right above the water sports beach side. The room was a bit musty so we called and housekeeping came in and spritzed the curtains with something and put a thing of coffee over the top of the AC to absorb the smell or extra humidity. For awhile the room smelled of coffee which we laughed about, and then it was better. There were a couple of buggies in the room but nothing to freak over, it is the carribbean. They became no more ;) We ordered pillows from the pillow menu and headed off to eat. Oh, I found the bed to be a bit harder than I normally like but thats just me.

Monday night is the managers cocktail party and beach bar be que. I had two lobster tails and more food than I can recall. Breakfasts were almost always at the Bayside and were very good. We did do room service breakfast on our check out day and it was very good as well. Ate at Papillon twice and the food is NOT your typical american size (ie. big servings) but it was sooo good. Cannot recall what we ate (outside of some killer white peach and coconut sorbets) but the service and presentation were wonderful. When you eat at Flambe you have to pick out your menu before 3pm - appetizer, salad, soup, entree, desert. And it is quite a show to watch it be prepared. Afternoon tea is very good too, I've had scones before but never with clotted cream - YUM! The food at the Royal Cafe on the beach is tasty too, but twice I found the seafood a bit undercooked. I ate part of the one dish but the other I returned for something else. I will warn you - you WILL gain weight staying here LOL.

Everyone of the staff there is so polite and helpful. They will call you by name in no time flat. Anything you want, they will accomodate you. You know you are being pampered when you go to the beach and one of the beach attendants (hello to Dalan and Cleon) set up your chair, move the umbrella for you, bring you mimosas and any other drink you want, spritz you with cooling rose water, bring you fresh fruit to eat (hello to Natalie), and if you want with a wave of the flag they will bring you the menu from the Royal Cafe (hello to Terri Ann) take your order for lunch and bring it to you on the beach. You only need to leave your chair to go to the restroom or get in the water.

We were on the Royal Plan (thank goodness) but for a bit signing our "checks" for everything we ate or drank made us pause a bit. If you go do the Royal Plan!!!!!! This resort is for pampering and being pampered (great spa too) not for booze cruises and games - although they do have a pool table and games you can take out to play. They had a little band play on the beach everyday at lunch and night time band playing. You could dance or not if you chose. Fridays is hot chocolate on the beach night and a couple of times they had someone on the beach giving Jamaican cooking lessons - loved the bammy and johnny cakes. There was also a day when you could actually take cooking lessons in the kitchen but I forget what day that is.

We never went on any tours outside of taking a cab into town for some shopping (go to Island Village for Margaritaville and nice shops or if you go to Taj Majal go to House of Diamonds for jewelry or watches - Mad Max there is a HOOT!!!!!) I heard the golfing was good and so was the tennis. The ages ranged from newlywed 20 somethings to the AARP gang (yes! they called themselves that) who were in their 70's and a riot to watch.
The grounds are beautiful and the staff is wonderful. I know there is more I can relay but I cant think of it all now - just let me say that we have never been so spoiled and pampered at ANY other resort or hotel as this one and want to return when we can.

14 Thank ShopNSlots
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!