“Wonderful”

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Wayne, NJ
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2006

This was our first experience staying in Jamaica. I must say, staying in the resort only, was a different experience than used to, as far as the Carribean, however the RP was wonderful. The hotel itself is simply beautiful. the beaches, although small are nice, quaint in a way, even crowded you still felt the intamacy.

The staff, they do seem to go out of thier way to make your trip 5 star. The restaurants are nice, the food could use some help, yet this could be just the fact that we are from the metropolitain NY area and used to a lot of choices. Room service was a treat, food served in courses, it was wonderful as far as room service. My husband and I choose the Royal plan and found it to be a great way to go, but the choice of wines did lack a bit. I am a wine drinker, and I did feel they could, and should expand a bit on thier wine selections.

Our room wasn't as promised,, or as paid for.. I was a bit dissapointed in that. We were only there for four days and they did offer to change this for us after a day, we didn't want to pack and unpack again for such a short stay, so we lived with it. Still a dissapointment I feel I shouldn't have hd to live with.

The staff on the beach, couldn't have been nicer. or more helpful. the spa, wonderful, couples massage, heaven. For the few kinks we ran into, we will we back. Have made reservations already, for one of the better rooms, so there will be no mishaps as far as rooms this time.

This truly is a romantic resort and would highly recommend this resort to all looking for upscal treatment and service in Ocho Rios.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank kimmel40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Korean first
Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2006

My boyfriend and I went to the Royal Plantation from May 26 through May 30, 2006. We had such a great time!; we did not want to leave this resort!

When we arrive at MBJ we realized that AA did not board our luggage to the plane; we were so disappointed at the airline! Anyways that's another story. We went to the SANDALS section/room at the airport and they offer us drinks and/or refreshments! Then we met up with our driver David, which he really nice. The ride fro MBJ to Ocho Rios was about 2 hours; I really thought that I was going to get car sick when I read all the previous reviews but actuallity it was not bad at all. It could be worst.

When we arrive at the hotel, we where greeted upon arrival and they offered us champagne. Also, we told them about our luggage incident and they told us not to worry about it, that they will take care of calling the airline. In which they did; the following day our luggage was in our room at 6 pm, they went to MBJ airport and pick it up for us!!! That's 5 star service to us!

Our room was great; we stayed in luxury oceanfront suite. The room was really nice! We even got to see to NBA playoffs from our room! GO HEAT!!!

The food was great; I ate lobster almost every day for lunch at the Bayside restaurant!!!

I highly recommend this resort we had a phenomenal time. The resort is the most beautiful resort in ocho rios, the service is great, and Jamaica is awesome!

Also if you want a party atmosphere, the RP will give you a pass to go next door to Sandals. They also offer free shuttle service to Margarita Ville on Monday's (I think).

We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank bianca79
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2006

This property is exceptional. The property overlooks a beautiful beach where gardens that are meticulously manicured showcase a breathtaking view of a royal blue ocean.

The decor reminds one of the old style charm of a very upscale British resort 75 years ago. The sleeping rooms are spacious and present a breathtaking view of the gardens and ocean.

The only thing that is better than the view and the ambiance of the setting is the remarkable level of service. The staff is friendy, helpful, attentive and well trained in providing upscale service in every aspect of the property from the dining room, to the beach, to the pool and in the room. This staff simply sets the standard for service

You can expect a magical experience.

10 Thank DrWCarroll
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2006

We were at the Royal Plantation from 6/29-7/03/06 so we missed the filming of the movie, but we did get to see some stars :) We LOVED this hotel. We flew into Montego Bay and the ride from the airport is about 2 hours and was very interesting. Hopefully you will be blessed with a driver as awesome as ours was- david. He brought the red stripes and made the stop at the Ultimate Jerk for us. We had him order since he could tell us what was best! The road is about 70% paved and the rough spots weren't as terrible as some people claim. i guess if we arrived in the evening and took the drive at night it might be another story. As many mentioned, it was an opportunity to witness the poverty of this country, and to realize how lucky we all are here in the US. The staff was very inviting and we were lucky to stay in the Prime Minister suite which had the most comfortable bed and two separate terraces which we took full advantage of. There were 1 1/2 bathrooms and both were magnificent- the whirlpool bath and large walk-in shower were very clean. The beach is a little small but was never too crowded and the pool was refreshing. We did not mind the size because whenever we were there, hardly anyone else was! We had an incredible experience at the Spa and definitely recommend the Royal Plan- unless of course you plan to leave often, which we couldn't get ourselves to do once! Keep in mind if you are on the Royal Plan and choose to have any other wine than that on the house list (which is very limited), there is a charge which we weren't too surprised about. Food is very good although we would have liked some more choices on the room service late night menu; once we asked for a few red stripes and they delivered them in a large bucket with ice so that made up for it! We joked about some of the reviews posted about this hotel and just feel that the people who complained must just be really picky. if you want to get away from it all, be pampered and relax in a very clean, laid back and welcoming environment, then this is the place to do it! We definitely plan to go back to Royal Plantation.

• Stayed July 2006
15 Thank jessica31200
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2006

My husband and I recently enjoyed our first visit to Jamaica and the Royal Plantation resort. We arrived on Saturday, July 1st and were worried our driver may not be there to greet us because we were delayed in Atlanta due to a mechanical problem for an hour and a half. After clearing customs, we were even later so were pleasantly surprised when we spotted our driver at the pick up point waiting patiently for us. He had been there since 11:45 in the HOT SUN!!! The drive to the resort was rough in spots but not as bad as envisioned. We stayed in a premium room and it was VERY nice with a great view and comfortable bed.
While there, a movie called "License To Wed" starring Robin Williams, Mandy Moore, and John Krazinski from the tv show "The Office" was being filmed. Some of the guests complained because the resort had portions closed off due to the fiming. They felt they were being slighted by this but I didn't see it that way! I was lucky enough to have a "once in a lifetime" experience to photograph (even with the main stars, especially Robin) and it was GREAT!!!!
Mr. Frazier was a very "wonderful host" and even prepared special meals for my husband who had come down with a bit of a stomach problem while we were there. All the places to eat were WONDERFUL and the staff is the GREATEST!!!
I hope to go back again someday although the memories made by this vacation are beyond comparison for sure.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank paulette d
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2006

Royal Plantation was great! The ride there was not as bad as some have mentioned. I would say about 70-80% of the road was finished. Some parts were more bumpy then others. What was so surprising to me was the poverty. We expected it, but not to the extent of what we saw. It really is an eye opener of how spoiled we are in the US. I really enjoyed the ride because it was the true Jamaica. As expected, the hotel decor was amazing. We arrived and were greeted with cold towels, and a drink. The service was great, but a little slow , as expected. The beach was small, but plenty of room for some privacy. The ocean floor bottom was also very smooth. The rooms were beautiful, though our hot tub we could tell was not cleaned when we arrived. We did have a very small problem for a couple of days with some very small black ants. As soon as we informed the hotel, they took care of it. The honeymoon grande luxe suite was worth it for the huge walk out balcony. The food was great, but the most enjoyable was Papillion for the food and decor. All in all the best part was the decor and view of the ocean from all points of the resort. It is very relaxing, and quaint. We also went to Jamaica Inn for dinner next door, which was also amazing. We chose RP because it has more then one restaurant, but we may want to stay at Jamaica Inn if we go back to Jamaica. Its not my favorite island, but it was very enjoyable and really there are no complaints about the resort at all. Snorkeling is at 11 and 2 every day. We went twice. It is only a five minute ride out, and you can stay out for 45 minutes. There were only one or two other couples with us when we went. There are many fish, and it was worth it. Please note, you really cant snorkel right off the beach. Reservations are needed for dinner, except for Bayside. At Papillion you can eat in or out. Flambe is inside, and Bayside is outside only. Any questions, post it on the forum and I willl try my best to answer.

• Stayed June 2006
15 Thank BermudaObsessed
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2006

This reosrt was gorgeous and the food was great, but what truly set this resort apart was the level of service. They took care of everything!!

20 minutes after I arrived the picture tube on the new TV in my room blew, whle I was watching a World Cup game - these things happen, so I called down to the front desk and let them know. They had another TV up immediately and 2 hours later the general manager called to say that he understood there had been an incident and was there anything he could do.

At another point I asked for a private horse ride, because i was an experienced rider. They didn't have one, but called around and arranged for a private ride. While I was on the ride they called the stables to make sure everything was okay and then checked in with me again when I returned to see if I was satisfied.

Truly, the resort was 5 stars, but what sets this place apart was how fantastic the service was. I would highly recommend this to any couple just trying to get away from it all.

• Stayed June 2006
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!