“LE PARADIS SUR TERRE”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 9 April 2010

The staff is great and very discreet..Cleon, Tonya, Andre, Arnold,Cornell all very kind
The food the drinks, the wine..over my expectations
the snorkeling, windsurfing, catamaran, the beach etc...
The property is very clean and the gardening perfect... Vegetation is very beautifull
We will come back for sure it is the best place I ever experiment
Paule&Yves
Montreal, Canada

Reviewed 1 April 2010

This is quite a resort. If you do not like the service you are either British aristocracy or a toal snob. The resort staff is friendly, professional and welcoming. You could barely get up from your beach chair without a beach butler asking what he could do for you. We had a basic room on the 3rd floor with a very nice view of the beach. Our butlers were Rolston & Jermaine who were both very capable. The food was truly outstanding at lunch and dinner with Le Papillon fab-o. Breakfast was fine but not at the level of the lunches and dinners which were first rate. Gladstone in the Appleton Lounge (i.e. main bar in the resort) is big time and the drinks were always well made with top end liquors.

The beaches are small but very nice and well maintained. The sea is clean and felt great. We really enjoyed the Afternoon tea from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the terrace. We travel fairly often in the caribbean and this was the best and ahead of Galley Bay in Antigua which is also big time but not at the level of service and professionalism as here. Whatever you want or need is done for you.

By the way, I read positive reviews of the Jamaica Inn on this website which is down the road approximately 1/4 mile from the Royal Plantation. I checked it out and the grounds were well maintained but it was very quiet and the rooms were spartan compared to the Royal Plantation. Do yourself a favor and go for the Royal Plantation. You will not be disappointed. Be sure to belly up to the bar with Peter Fraser, the GM who is very personable and interesting. Hope this helps.

2  Thank NewJerseyButch
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We just returned from our second trip to RP.We had a really great ti
e, and many things were as we remembered, some were better, but a few things need improving.
We had a suite with a full balcony, and it was rather dark, being tucked in the corner, and on the first floor, so I would recommend asking in advance for second or third floor if you are paying so much extra for these rooms.
We ordered breakfast every day on our balcony, and that truly is a wonderful way to start the day.
Our first morning , we went to the restaurant for breakfast, and was shocked to see a buffet( this is new!) , but the selection was very poor .We were not told that a menu was still available, so I saw one of the chefs, and he cooked me up eggs Benedict.
We later saw that some people were given menus, but not all.
The buffet has changed the feel of the delightful breakfast experience, and Ordering in the room, was our preffered option after that.
We were also very excited to have afternoon tea as before.But we were ignored for 15 mins, so we left, went to our room, called our butler, and he delivered it all to your room- perfect!However, it is things like that which really seemed to stand out when other things were so great.
The huge Cat , sat in the bay is just nasty- and we were pleased to see it move after 3 days.
Food every where, and every night was fab- although we find Papillon really too stuffy, znd second visit as before, could never get a table outside, despite requesting this a week beforehand.
We were delivered a voucher from The Manager to enjoy a couples spa treatment, and a letter from the spa too, for our anniversary-when we asked our butler to book a treatment and what ones were coveted by the Voucher- we were told it was just an invitation, and no discount whatsoever was on offer.Very bizzarre marketing, and misleading to us and other couples that also received it.
These things, seem small I know, but when so many things are wonderful, including all the staff, it is clearly management that is leading these issues.
Our butler , and beach butlers made the stay for us- treats on our anniversary, and cadles and champagne in the room- thanks guys!
We love this place, but hope the management do take care with this special place

2  Thank Choosyct
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Our fourth stay at the Royal Plantation (RP) on the Royal Plan (all-inclusive). 3/22-28/10 The number one difference is that they are training a lot of new people. This was the largest difference in staff that we have noticed. Example checking in, we didn't get the chilled cloth, the people after us did, because someone on the front desk noticed. We didn't receive a returning guest gift, usually a polo shirt. As returning guests usually has a fruit/cheese tray in the room, not this time. Service at La Terraza (patio at night) was significantly slower, I think it was do to the inexperience of the wait staff. There were supervisors checking up all the time. I just don/t believe it is my responsibiltiy to inform the hotel of the number of issues occuring, that is what I pay for the service. The bulter service was new to me and help tremendously. A/C finally went out in our room and they moved us to another room that evening, made most of our reservations, etc. Ralston and Jermaine were our butlers and we would be glad to have them again. Mr. Fraser (GM) and Mrs. Millwood (HM) were attentive and they are a primary reason we keep going back.
Now for the reasons to go to the RP. Rooms are kept very clean and the beds/linens are the best we have ever stayed at for a hotel. Food is excellent, really good, I am not kidding. The soups are awesome, the beef, sirloin and filet can be cut with a fork. Nothing about the food or the wine pairings or the liqour could be faulted. The views from any room are to die for, you are looking at the beach/ocean and not some other resort. Exception for four days they had a Sandal Catamarran parked between the reef and our beach, so you basically looked at the cat and the ocean. From the rooms no problem, on the beach, it is a distraction, I could have stayed at a marina, if I wanted to look at boats. I sorry this is supposed to be what a like. Great beach and service good with comfortable lounge chairs. Inchon gave me a Hobie Cat lesson, that gave me critical information and we went directly out and practiced the theory. Great teacher, great fun, he was also was a great beach person as well as Skinny, Courtney, Rosalee, etc. My wife would recommend the onsite Red Lane Spa, she enjoyed the massage and she would know she has one every week. Our luggage was delayed, so I took my wife to the gift shop get a few things to change into, since it took us an extra day to get there. Lorna McDonald was on duty was an absolute delight, she made us laugh, my wife was able to pick out some basic items, she left a note for the gift shop staff, if we came in the next am, to help us, she followed up with when she came back on duty that everything was ok. She is one of the reasons we would go back.
We put together an excursion for me and my wife to see part of Jamaica we had read about, but was not on the regular excursions. Ralston help but it together, it was reasonably priced and we were gone most of the day and had the time of out life. Shawn our driver, knew the area and helped with history and culture. Plus driving in Jamaica is an challenging experience and I would not recommend renting a car as I would in Europe. There are just too many good thinks I would say about the RP to list in this review.
Overall I am giving the RP high marks, but I will be watchful of future comments, since this is a premium hotel and of the some of the service issues we experienced.

1  Thank smithtrout
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We had the most wonderful and relaxing time at the Royal Plantation. Everything was perfect from the minute we arrived at the airport to the moment they dropped us back at the airport. The worst bit was leaving such a fabulous place.

The transfer from Kingston was over 2 hours so when we visit again we would definately fly into Montego Bay as this only takes about 1.5 hours.

The staff were lovely and really did cater for your every need. The restaurants served mostly set menus for dinner however there was a buffet on one night. I would advise that you book into the Papillon as soon as you arrive as they were very busy and you could not book on the day - do this through your butler and i would recommend going at least twice as the food and ambience was lovely.

I would not consider doing the European plan as your holiday would end up being very expensive, everthing was included on the royal plan and the spirits were all branded, such as grey goose, bombay sapphire, johnny walker etc.

This is by far the best hotel i have ever stayed at and we can't wait to return. I would recommend anyone who wants a total break to go.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank beks
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon to Royal Plantation a week ago, and it was everything we could have asked for! We read many (many) reviews before we left and really hoped that it would meet our high expectations - and it did! Of course, there were some minor things that we were not as happy about, but all in all, it was the most amazing vacation and I don't think we could have chosen a more perfect location for our honeymoon.

The not so hot stuff: We had two butlers for our room. One of the butlers did absolutely nothing, even when we requested something, it was ignored. Luckily we had another butler - Jermaine. Jermaine was FANTASTIC. He was extremely genuine and aimed to please.

The other thing that didn't make me us as happy was when we found bugs in our room. Granted; we were in the Caribbean and I do recognize there will be bugs. I'm not afraid of insects. HOWEVER, I did not expect them at RP. Not one or two bugs - but on our bar and bathroom counter there were about 50 tiny bugs (flies?) running around. We called the front desk politely, as I said, it is the Caribbean - it happens and we didn't need to get angry. But what did make me angry is when the phone call was ignored. So, we called again later. The man at the desk came to our room and made complete light of it.... and again.... he did not do anything to solve it, other than the routine cleaning in the mornings. We killed what we could and the rest went away on their own. It wasn't so much their presence that bothered me; it was the response from the staff.
I did not find that this was the normal manner of the staff. 99% of them always had a smile on their face and always wanted to know how they could make you happy.

So despite this issue - it did not ruin our trip, nor did it sour our view of Royal Plantation. Other than that, the room was clean and new looking. We were in one of the cheaper rooms and it still had doors that opened and over-looked the water. Beautiful!! We would open the doors, order room service, and eat in front of our view.

I think something that needs to be given more attention in these reviews is the colonial architecture. The design of RP is a large part of what makes it stand apart from many others resorts. Not only did we enjoy taking in the sight of the beach, but we also drank in all the fine details that make RP so beautiful.

The food was AMAZING. I felt like pretty much every meal was a fancy meal (not your typical all- inclusive buffet style). Unique and tasty appetizers, fantastic soups, plentiful main dishes and the desserts were unbelievable. (Even ordering dessert to the room is a must: try the cheesecake, cookies and cream ice cream and hot chocolate. You won't regret it..... although, your stomach might later. All worth it). For lunch, if you don't want such a big meal, the beach grill is open. The coconut shrimp was our daily snack, and the coffee crunch ice cream dessert was wonderful. (As well, be sure not to miss 4-5pm tea time)!

Honestly, it is difficult not to gorge yourself in this resort b/c the food is endless and all of it is high quality.

The beach is small but nice. Though, you really don't need too much beach with under 100 people (IF the resort is fully booked). It is nice and private and the water is clear and a gorgeous turquoise. The pool was a bit of a let-down because for some reason it is heated, which we found really strange - so it's not very refreshing, but still relaxing (especially when we went in at night).

I'm 30 and my husband is 29, and I'd say we were the youngest people on the resort. This was not a problem for us because we were looking for something quiet - but if you do want something larger and louder, than Sandals might be a better choice for you. The older age groups seemed to socialize with one another though, and everybody was very pleasant.

If you’re looking for a vacation that is more intimate and you want to be pampered, then this would be a perfect choice!
I’m jealous of those of you who are still looking forward to your Royal Plantation stay! Enjoy!

4  Thank Blue090
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Some things JUST GET BETTER!!! My husband and I returned from RP last week, our 5th visit. Returning to this hotel is like visiting an old friend, comfortable and easy. All of the staff is sincerely friendly, helpful and always have a smile. Sometimes when returning to a resort, one has a fear that it will not be as memorable as past visits, but here, each visit bring improvements. This time, everyone has a butler who will take care of every need...from dining reservations to specific drink requests. The beach staff has always been exceptional, and gotten BETTER. The hotel has lots of new faces but with the same great care and concern. As others have said, the food is excellent, varied and served by well trained waiters with personality and a great sense of humor, making for a truly fun fine dining experience. The beaches are not huge, but very, very pretty and well maintained. If you are looking for lots of nightlife and fun and games, don't come here. However, if you are looking for an elegant, intimate resort, ROYAL PLANTATION IS FOR YOU! Again, cudos to the management and staff.

We have traveled all over the Caribbean and Mexico staying at many all-inclusive resorts, but love Jamaica and in our opinion, Royal plantation is the BEST all inclusive resort on the planett!!!

5  Thank Susan C
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!