“The BEST slice of Heaven on Earth”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I am a travel agent of 21 years and finally actually got the opportunity to STAY at the Royal Plantation with my significant other. I can certify that EVERYTHING that they promise your stay to be and more is absolutely true. I will even go as far to say that they strive to exceed your expectations. The most important thing about this resort to remember when to deciding whether or not to go is to, first of all, bbok through a travel agent so you understand if this resort will be for you or not. It is not a swim-up pool bar, shot slinging party hotel. It is a luxurious, all-suite, upscale but NOT snooty classy boutique resort. However, if you want to experience this place of complete bliss, you can always do next door to Sandals and "party" over there but they cannot enjoy the Royal Plantation. A beach flag raised from your cushioned chaise lounge and a butler arrives to get whatever it is you want~whether it be champagne and coconut shrimp or to be misted with cool rosewater to cool you off. Amazing! Your personal Butlers unpack and pack for you; if you want something specially prepared for in-suite dining they have you covered there too!! I could go on and on and on but my best advice to anyone that this resort suits...GO NOW!!! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,692)

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We were at RP for our honeymoon, a 6 day/6 night stay that was absolutely amazing!! The Royal Plantation is a beautiful hotel with lush gardens, an amazing white sand beach with views of the pristine blue waters, service that cannot be beat, and food that is top notch compared to other all-inclusives. We paid extra and did the private Mercedes Benz from the airport to the hotel, which was well worth the money. We finished a whole bottle of white wine and a few Red Stripes on our 2 hour ride to Ocho Rios from Montego Bay airport. The car was also stocked with some snacks since the drive takes about 2 hours, although we stopped a few times to take pictures and our driver also stopped to purchase some fresh mangos from a street vendor which was very nice, since my wife loves mangos and we just had to have one!! The Sandals lounge at the airport was very crowded because there were a few flights all arriving at the same time, but we told someone we were at Royal Plantation and we were immediately taken to our driver and our luggage was loaded while everyone else for the other Sandals resorts were being herded around. The shuttles to Sandals were packed full of people and we even got some dirty looks from Sandals people in the parking lot because we were getting into the Mercedes with our private driver, too bad so sad!

When we arrived, we were greeted by our butler, Aldane, and check-in went very quickly then our butler gave us a tour of the hotel and asked us where we wanted to eat for dinner and what time, then made our reservation. When we got back to the room, he offered to unpack our luggage, which was delivered while we were touring. We told him we drank a lot on the ride in and we were kind of hungry since we skipped lunch, he immediately went and got us a plate of fresh fruit and cheeses which held us over until dinner. Do not be afraid to tell your butler what you want, they pride themselves on making you comfortable in every way possible. When you get to your room, there is a cell phone where you can call the butlers 24/7. Our butler told us to take the cell phone whenever we left the resort to do tours/excursions and this made us feel very safe because we could call if we needed anything. We did not use the cell phone very much, except to make dinner plans and then make sure everything was in order for checkout. Our butler called us on the phone more than we called him to make sure everything was going well and if we needed anything. Thanks Aldane and Orayne for an awesome time!

The food at Royal Plantation was the best part of our trip, breakfast, lunch, dinner, all cooked to order from a menu and they will do everything in their power to make you what you want. I do not eat shellfish and I was able to try something different every night for dinner. The French restaurant was amazing, we ate there two nights during our stay and the food in our opinion was better than some five star restaurants in the US, favorite dish was the veal by far. Each meal is at least 3 courses, with dinner being up to 5-6 courses if you choose to order every course. We booked a private dinner since we were on our honeymoon (this is extra $$), and had a romantic dinner on the pier under a clear night sky with an almost full-moon. Our private server was Ray, who they bring in only for private dinners, and he was absolutely amazing, and the menu for the private dinner is extensive. Ray did us a little extra and brought us a flaming dessert which was delicious.

The pool is small but was not very crowded as most everyone hangs out at the beach. The beach is beautiful and you are waited on, meaning they bring the drinks to you, all you have to do is raise a flag they give you. One of the beach attendants even came over and cleaned our sunglasses for us after we got out of the water, then the next day they came and sprayed my wife with spa water as she was tanning to help cool off. I will say again and again that the service here is unbelievable. We have stayed with Riu and Iberostar before but Royal Plantation is definitely a notch above the rest.

We did massages at the Red Lane Spa one day when it was raining and this experience was also very good. The spa prices are comparable to other resorts and they have daily specials, like 15% off massages on Fridays etc. The sauna and steam room were very nice and the spa bathrooms were very clean with everything you could need. The spa is separated into a mens side and womens side but we were the only ones there so they let me and my wife sit in the steam room together and prepare for our massages. The massages were very good and we were able to build a custom package with what we each wanted.

We were definitely impressed with Royal Plantation and plan on coming back to celebrate an anniversary sometime in the future. I would highly recommend this resort to couples looking for a very relaxing, romantic honeymoon where you don't have to worry about anything but enjoying each other!!!! Royal Plantation is 5 stars in every category!!!

3  Thank Longhorn2007
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My wife and I just went and had a wonderful time. The place was beautiful and the people were wonderful. The nicest folks of any place I have stayed. I hate going to high end places and being treated like I am not good enough well this place was nothing like that. The service was top notch no matter who you were. The food was amazing, atmosphere was great. We will go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruckusman2
Reviewed 22 July 2010

It didn't start great, after a very long flight we were looking forward to the luxury limousine for the remainder of our journey, it didn't happen, we got a grotty mini bus that was filthy and for the whole journey we were expecting the engine to blow it was that noisy. When we arrived it was late so we decided to just bed down for the night, unfortunately we were in a room with an interconnecting door and the couple next door obviously liked loud music. We had a word with our butler Richard who told us he would have a word with management. Next morning 6.30am, the music started up again, we had another word with Richard again he promised he would have a word with management. The following night was even worse, we were woken up to lots of hollering and whopping and that's when we realised who was next door, we were next to the only two single girls in the hotel. We realised very quickly one of the girls was entertaining a man who could only have been a member of staff as there were no single men at the hotel (it is a small hotel so you meet everyone very quickly) Unfortunately because of the interconnecting door we could hear everything, lets just say she was very loud and extremely graphic. This is not what we expected of the Royal Plantation 18 to 30s holidays maybe. Again we had a word with Richard but nothing was ever done, luckily the girls left the next day but It spoilt the start of our holiday and we were very disappointed Richard did nothing about it or even mention it again. The manager Peter Fraser everybody talks about we never saw once otherwise we would have complained to him.

Our other disappointment is the food, although very good, the menu in the French restaurant stays the same so after a week it becomes very boring. As there are only two restaurants to choose from I think more choice is needed.

On the plus side we had a great holiday and met some wonderful people, (hi Matt & Kathy), the room itself was a good size and vey comfortable albeit noisy (make sure you don't have an interconnection door) The bed was to die for even though we didn't get the pillows we requested from the pillow menu. What was the point I wonder of filling in all the forms on line before departure if no one takes any notice of them? Our butler never filled us a bubble bath everyone talks about but, as it was our anniversary we were given "a token of their best wishes" but never actually received anything, we had a word with Richard and was told "all will be revealed later" it never was.......

To sum up, we were not at all impressed with Richard.

Our final memory of the hotel was the miserable girls at reception, they really let the side down when we checked out. Would we go back? No, I don't think so and just to put the tin hat on it all, when we got home I too like past guests had tummy problems for 24 hours..............

5  Thank Jay07hardcore
Reviewed 20 July 2010

If it had not been for the outstanding reviews this hotel gets then perhaps we would not have been quite so disapponted. Overall it is a reasonable quality 5 star holiday hotel but, other than the staff and the service, I am unable to use any superlatives in this review.

The rooms are fine and spacious but perhaps a little dated. It is a colonial style hotel so that can be understood. The bathroom could definitely do with an update. We were in a standard "suite" but calling it a suite is being a little extravagent with reality.

The most disappointing aspect of the hotel was the food and wine. So many previous reviewers have described the food as "superb" that we were surprised to find it very average. There are only 2 restaurants in the evening. The Terrace restaurant was poor to average (the once a week, no alternative, Jamaican buffet was awful) and the fine dining French restaurant was average to good. The other problem with the French restaurant is that the menu never changes so by the end of the holiday you are tending to order what you haven't eaten yet rather than something that is particularly appealing. Breakfast and lunch however were both good.

We were on the all inclusive "Royal Plan" which I would definitely recommend except for the severely limited choice of wines. There were only 2 whites and 2 reds, all of them Californian and none of them particularly good. Surely it would not be too difficult to add the odd bottle of, say, French or Chilean wine to give the selection a broader appeal. The main wine list was good but fairly expensive particularly given the addition of a 15% service charge. We did order from it on a few occasions simply because we were fed up of drinking the house wine.

So overall we were not very impressed but I will finish on a positive note. The staff were, almost without exception, fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We have never had better service anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WeThinK1
Reviewed 20 July 2010

we stayed here last week for 5 nights for our honeymoon. we were focused on sitting on the beach, relaxing and doing nothing in a bit of luxury. this place more than fulfilled our requirements. beautiful rooms with great, private, unobstructed ocean views. fantastic restaurants. quiet beaches. great service.

it was everything that we wanted. there's not a whole lot to do (tourist activities are really not worth it from what we heard), so if you're looking to just relax on the beach and have your personal butler bring you your drinks, make dinner reservations and put together special dinners or breakfast, this place is for you.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Royal Plantation, July 4th-9th, 2010

I stayed at this amazing 5 star resort on a travel agent FAM (familiarization) trip from June 4-7, 2010 and I loved what I saw & experienced so much that I went home and convinced my husband that he needed to come experience it for himself. We had wanted to give it a try for awhile but had been unable to make it happen until now. It was well worth the wait, everything we expected it to be, and more!! This property is one of the Leading Small Hotels of the World, they have won numerous awards & accolades, and rightfully so. Mr. Peter Fraser (GM) & his staff have earned every one of them as well as our business for life.

We arrived by private transfer and spent 6 glorious days & 5 nights being pampered, relaxing on the beach, enjoying some spa treatments, and eating by far the best food we have ever had at any all-inclusive…ever! The staff goes out of their way to accommodate any and all requests. “No” is not in their vocabulary unless it is to tell you “no problem”. : -) We were always greeted with sincerity and a smile. The truly impressive thing with the staff is that it did not matter if it was their “job” to take care of something, if we asked them something they took care of it immediately. We never heard, “let me get someone to take care of that for you”. The staff sincerely cares about your happiness & enjoyment.

The staff & management spoiled us rotten. We were given a 5 category upgrade to the Honeymoon Plantation 1 Bedroom Suite (#301) with private balcony, in-room sitting area w/French balcony, large walk-in closet, fully stocked bar (filled with whatever we requested), Jacuzzi tub, separate shower, water closet (w/commode & bide), and three sinks! All rooms come with butler service & 24 hour room service. We tend to enjoy the social experiences of the restaurants but we did utilize the room service twice. AC worked great but the water pressure in the shower was low…no power massage there. LOL!!

The food was truly amazing. Out of 6 days worth of meals, I can honestly say we enjoyed every single one. There were a few courses we didn’t care for but those were due to personal preferences/tastes, not any fault of the chef’s. We had various cuts of steaks, all perfectly cooked & tender (and HUGE), perfectly done lobster tails, the best coconut shrimp I have eaten anywhere (the size of my palm!), spicy but flavorful jerk chicken & pork, lots of fresh fruits & veggies, etc….It was a good thing we were only there for 6 days or else we were going to have to buy new clothes to come home in. : -)

They do have a nice gym and we saw many people utilize it. The spa is top notch as well. I always make a point to get at least one treatment on every trip and this one did not disappoint. There are two tennis courts but it was very hot & humid during our stay so I would be surprised if anyone used them. There is also free golf included for guests of Royal Plantation but neither of us plays so we let sand gravity take over and hung out on the beach most days.

We enjoyed peaceful days relaxing on the beach, greeted by the water sports staff each morning to set up the guest’s chairs & umbrellas. Then the beach butler brings you a “mangosa” (mango mimosas), your “flag” to let them know you need something, and other nice things like fresh fruits, rose misting water, etc…throughout the day. They also have spa staff come to the beach and offer free foot massages, free back massages, and such. If you do get the urge to do something, there are various water sports also available: kayaks, hobie cats, snorkeling, windsurfing, etc….We did borrow the snorkel gear and checked out the fish around the piers but we had been to the Ocho Rios area before and knew the snorkeling is not the best, so we passed on going out on the boat.

Guests of Royal Plantation have free exchange privileges with Sandals Grande Ocho Rios next door for more dining, activities, and entertainment options if they so choose. They can also go to Beaches Boscobel as well but guests have to pay to take a taxi there & back. We considered going there for a dinner but changed our minds after eating the various foods at RP.

To sum it up, my husband now refers to this property as “the holy grail” and he is trying to figure out how quickly we can return. While this resort is not for everyone, those with mobility issues would have a hard time here and some might find it too quiet, I highly recommend it to those looking for THE BEST! A great place for a honeymoon, destination wedding, or just a relaxing getaway. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am happy to help!

5  Thank Ruth D
1 mi away
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!