My husband and I came to Royal Plantation to share in the nuptials of some good friends. Not only did we have a good time, but we got to see the filming of "License to Wed" and spotted Adam Sandler, Robin Williams, and Mandy Moore. The filming blocked use of certain areas of the resort while we were there, but there was always a good place to go and relax at.
We arrived at the Montego Bay airport, and we were escorted to a cab pretty quickly after receiving Cokes in the hospitality room at the airport. Cab was old and dusty, but the nice cabbie made up for the older car.
Quick check in, and the staff procured a drink and a cold towel right away.
The room was freshly made up every day and we had a good view of the water. They provide lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and aloe vera for guests. You'll need the aloe vera. Very room closets with plenty of room to unpack. The shower and vent is right next to the hallway, so you can hear people walk by when you are in the bathroom.
My husband is a big fan of the water sports, and the staff was willing to take you snorkeling whenever you felt like it. They also would come out and rescue you when your sailbot or catamaran tipped over. A sailing friend of ours said the equipment was okay, but not great.
We did not go on the all inclusive plan, and usually went off site for the evening. We went to Evita's (good view, good Italian food, would come back) and The Ruins Restaurant (great view, poor service, and the curry almost burned my lips off).
The resort restaurants were a bit high priced, and we experienced a very rude sommelier. My husband and I have never sent a wine back in our life, but a bottle we ordered was nearly rancid and we decided to send it back. The sommelier proceeded to come out and tell us how wrong we were instead of suggesting something else. They didn't charge us for the bottle, but we went elsewhere for dinner after that.
The beaches are not large, but I always found a spot to stretch out. The matresses on top of the recliners are a nice touch. Be aware that they are often out of chair-sized towels at the end of the day, and you'll have to make do with what you bring from your room.
For horseback riding lovers, I would recommend the Hooves trip the resort sells. I'm a rider and took a private ride, and had the best trail ride (cantering up and down the beach) of my life along with getting a naturalist lesson from my guide.
The wedding was a great success, and everyone enjoyed themselves. They started us off up by the tea room, and the ceremony was down by the water. Really impressed with how smoothly they kept it moving, considering the groom met the officiant minutes before the cermony.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Hotels.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Destinology, Ebookers, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios