After adverse weather conditions in the UK it was very doubtful that we would even get to Jamaica, so it was a very warm welcome that greeted us at the Sandals Lounge after only a 4 hour delay. We were quickly whisked away in our private transfer.
On arrival at the RP we had a quick and smooth check in as it was late and we were exhausted. The room we were allocated was 157 which had a fantastic sea view and was in a quiet part of the hotel (we are not sure if there is a noisy part). A very nice touch was the pillow menu. In fact they were that comfortable we are now trying to source them in the UK. The Mini Bar in the room was replenished daily and if you had any requests they were soon assatained. (thank you Alshane for the Fruit Loops). We didn't miss the normal balcony as there was a nice sitting area by the french windows. We had a seperate walk in shower and a Jacuzzi Bath. The only thing we did miss was the double sink.
The Afternoon Tea served between 4 - 5pm was delicious. There were sandwiches, cake nibbles and an endless list of different teas. The returning guests dinner was superb with excellent cuisine in an outstanding setting. The dinner in the french restaurant is probably some of the best food we have tasted. From the chef's specialities, the sorbet and so on and so on. The great thing is becuase it is served over a long period of time you never feel uncomfortably full.
Mr Peter Fraser has a very high level of staff working for him who all seem to genuinely love the job they are doing. To name just a few the head butler Alshane Bailey, Gladstone and Chester in the Bar, Jason in the French Restaurant, Cornell in watersports (although weather not good for sailing) and the unforgettable Beach Butler Adrian a real credit to this hotel, not to mention O'Brian who organised some great evening entertainment.
The quietness and the tranquility of this hotel really added to the enjoyment of this holiday. It never seemed busy even when almost full.
The only downside to this holiday was the Golf Course. We are both extremely keen Golfers and play every day. We have used this Golf course for the last six years and we are sorry to say that it seems to have gone down hill. The condition of the course has deterioated and the way players are suddenly set off on any hole, whether you are in the middle of your round really jams the course up and shows no consideration for other players currently on the course. This makes the round twice as long and leaves you standing arouund waiting to take your shot. This is not what we are used to back in the Uk or even other courses around the world we have played, The caddies we use are to a high standard. Wayne and Radcliffe are excellent and we have used them for many years. Lora in the shop always offers a warm welcome. She even took us to Sunday Service Church this time which was a very memeroable experience.
The weather was the worst we have experienced in the last six years at Christmas. I guess the whole world is having severe weather so there is not a lot you can do about this apart from enjoy your holiday, which is not hard at this resort.
Paul & Lesley
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios