“A Truly Relaxing Holiday in an outstanding Quaint Hotel”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Grantham, United Kingdom
“A Truly Relaxing Holiday in an outstanding Quaint Hotel”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

After adverse weather conditions in the UK it was very doubtful that we would even get to Jamaica, so it was a very warm welcome that greeted us at the Sandals Lounge after only a 4 hour delay. We were quickly whisked away in our private transfer.
On arrival at the RP we had a quick and smooth check in as it was late and we were exhausted. The room we were allocated was 157 which had a fantastic sea view and was in a quiet part of the hotel (we are not sure if there is a noisy part). A very nice touch was the pillow menu. In fact they were that comfortable we are now trying to source them in the UK. The Mini Bar in the room was replenished daily and if you had any requests they were soon assatained. (thank you Alshane for the Fruit Loops). We didn't miss the normal balcony as there was a nice sitting area by the french windows. We had a seperate walk in shower and a Jacuzzi Bath. The only thing we did miss was the double sink.
The Afternoon Tea served between 4 - 5pm was delicious. There were sandwiches, cake nibbles and an endless list of different teas. The returning guests dinner was superb with excellent cuisine in an outstanding setting. The dinner in the french restaurant is probably some of the best food we have tasted. From the chef's specialities, the sorbet and so on and so on. The great thing is becuase it is served over a long period of time you never feel uncomfortably full.
Mr Peter Fraser has a very high level of staff working for him who all seem to genuinely love the job they are doing. To name just a few the head butler Alshane Bailey, Gladstone and Chester in the Bar, Jason in the French Restaurant, Cornell in watersports (although weather not good for sailing) and the unforgettable Beach Butler Adrian a real credit to this hotel, not to mention O'Brian who organised some great evening entertainment.
The quietness and the tranquility of this hotel really added to the enjoyment of this holiday. It never seemed busy even when almost full.
The only downside to this holiday was the Golf Course. We are both extremely keen Golfers and play every day. We have used this Golf course for the last six years and we are sorry to say that it seems to have gone down hill. The condition of the course has deterioated and the way players are suddenly set off on any hole, whether you are in the middle of your round really jams the course up and shows no consideration for other players currently on the course. This makes the round twice as long and leaves you standing arouund waiting to take your shot. This is not what we are used to back in the Uk or even other courses around the world we have played, The caddies we use are to a high standard. Wayne and Radcliffe are excellent and we have used them for many years. Lora in the shop always offers a warm welcome. She even took us to Sunday Service Church this time which was a very memeroable experience.
The weather was the worst we have experienced in the last six years at Christmas. I guess the whole world is having severe weather so there is not a lot you can do about this apart from enjoy your holiday, which is not hard at this resort.

Paul & Lesley

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Korean first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We stayed during the Thanksgiving holiday and indeed we had a lovely time. However when we arrived at the airport we were met outside the closed lounge and put outside and forgotten. We had to find to transportation from the hotel ourselves. No one seemed to care. The lounge was closed in the airport and forget anything to drink there or in route. What's the point of them advertising something that doesn't exist?
Once at the destination it was nice. The Pappilion was no 5 star restaurant. It was average and the food was repetative. Same menu every night- JOY! It was my anniversary and I only made one special request to eat on the outside deck on that night. Our bulter, Richard couldn't manage it and never bothered to tell us- so when i told him of my disappointment he (Richard) lied and said I never said that and since it was such a great place that should be good enough. NOT! After that Richard spent the rest of our vacation trying to make it up to me and failed miserably at each opportunity. I wanted no more to do with him. Butler my behind! Apparently if you make dinner reservations before you get there you might get to eat out on the porch of the "5 Star" restaurant. I think Richard just didn't care. Another day they left shrimp cocktails in our room after and excursion- we were back 3 hours late and the shrimp were room temp.- Gee I really wanted to die from food poisioning- Thanks again Richard. I dumped them out into the hall- yuck! I will know next time.
Our second butler, Cleon was nice and seemed to be on the right track.
The general manager Peter was great. He worked his behind off to make everyone happy. Our room on the thrid floor was very quiet. The view was nice of the ocean, there is very little beach. Most of the guests are Europeans and none spoke to us. Seemed strange to us, but we didn't care.
The alcohol brand variety at the hotel was poor. No spiced rum, no single malt. What were we paying for? Beer? The food in the restaurants was repetative and got boring.
The golf was fun and our caddie was great, we played twice. Not cheap even if its free, by the time they tack everything on - its about $150 per round.
They bring in locals to sell junk- so if you want a souvenir you don't really have to leave and be harassed by the locals. We never had a moments problem with any locals.
We did the raft trip down the matha brae and went to the coffee plantation- all in all very pleasant and again no one bothered us.
We got a great deal and considered going back but the sale on black Friday we indeed 5-600 more thay we paid for this trip so so we didn't bother to rebook. It was all in all nice, but more because of no kids and small size than anything else.
If I were Peter I would fire Richare as he really lowered my perspective of what a butler does- apparently nothing in his case.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I find it hard to believe that the previous 2 posts vacationed at the same resort as we did!

My husband and I spent another Christmas and New Years at RP and it was wonderful.
This was our first time back since it was brought into the Sandals family so we were a bit concerned that it would start to mirror the other Sandals resorts and lose the class and charm that we have experienced in our previous 4 stays. Grant it, it recently made the conversion, so I guess time will tell if it remains that special place that my husband and I know and love so much. I can say, that as long as Peter Frazier, the GM, is in charge , he will see to it that it remains a "special" place. He is a class act and anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him, would certainly agree.

Although the weather did not cooperate the week of our stay, which was a shock because we have traveled the same week the past 5 years and it was always sunny and hot, we had a great time. We met some really nice people that we hope to meet up with again next year.

The previous 5 star reviewers covered just about everything so I will not repeat them but I will say they are very accurate
The Staff is simply amazing....Gladstone, Andre, Adrian, Winston, Cleon , Richard.. just to name a few, Thank you so much for another memorable stay.

The Food is probably the best of any all inclusive resort. I hate to even say "all inclusive" because most would think of buffets and mediocre food, but dining here is a fine dining experience especially Papillon. (my favorite)

The suites all have wonderful views of the water, nicely decorated and ample in size

The return guest dinner ,as always, is one of our favorite nights. The dinner that is prepared is to die for and you get to meet so many interesting people. Thank you Peter for making the return guest dinner one of the highlights of our vacation.

I highly recommend this resort to people who love to be pampered and want to just relax. I can't think of any better way to end one year and start a new year then a stay at Royal Plantation.

1 Thank DLanghorne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

terrible experience, very tiered rooms, over priced, disgusting food, terrible breakfast, never saw any fresh food/fruits all microwaved
the worst part of the island always cloudy and a lot of rain.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
9 Thank paolo2404
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 January 2011

The Royal Plantation hotel is one of the worst hotels I had the misfortune to stay at. The hotel looks like a poor Holiday Inn and unfortunately the food is even worse! We stayed at the Villa at a cost of over £12,000 for 6 nights. I would suggest there are bed and breakfast hotels with more charm and certainly more charm then this ghastly hotel!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank martinmargull
west virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2011

This was our 11th trip to a sandals resort, but first time to the Royal Plantation. I will say this was our best trip ever. The hotel staff and hotel manager exceeded our expectations. Also, Our travel agent, Amy with Dream Makers Vacations also exceeded our expectations. The hubby and I feel as if we have found our own personal retreat at the Royal Plantation. Upon arriving we were greeted by Curtis, one of our butlers. He provided us with a nice tour of the resort. The property was lovely and you do not feel as if it is as small as it is. In fact we felt cozy, but also felt we had privacy. The tone of the resort is calm and low key. Before going to our room, we had lunch, which was very good. Oh, the lobster BLT was wonderful. Curtis took us to our room, but informed us that the next morning we would be upgraded ( thank you Amy), sorry I do not remember the names of the rooms, but I do know the upgrade was at leat two rooms higher. We had to wait until the next day to change rooms, which was fine. Our first room was 258 on the west wing. This room would have been just fine with us as the room was amazining. We did not have the outside balcony, but the room offered a very nice area to set in with a great view and the sliding door allowed the breeze and ocean sounds to come in. Also we had the large jetted tub and separate shower area.This room was very nice and spacious. The next afternoon we were moved into an east wing room. This room has a standard bathroom, a sitting room with a tv, the bed room, a large walk in closet and an additional room with a jetted tub and separate shower. In addition we had a very nice outside balcony with a nice view.
We ate everywhere and I do not have any thing to say about the food, except it all was wonderful, the meals services etc... all great. One evening we purchased a bottle Moet champagne with our dinner. The only we issue we ran into during our visit was that we purchased the champagne for an over priced amount ( which we knew and expected), but on our last evening when our bill arrived for the week, we noticed an additional "service charge" for the purchase. This I felt was not acceptable and we did not pay for the service charge as we were not informed if this when we made the purchase. So no problem the charge was removed!
The hotel manger, Supratik is just wonderful. He went out of his way to assist us in everyway. Before we knew he was the hotel manger, he was brining us drinks as we were by the pool, such a wonderful person, Thank you for all you did to make our trip wonderful!
Also, the beach butler, Adrian, "G-Stone" Akee(SP sorry), Gary, Winston, Rochester, and I am so sorry I do not remember everyone elses names who were so wonderful, because this list does not do justice to all of you who work so hard and made our trip so nice. Garfield, you are one great guy, my husband said to remind you that on our next visit, you must teach him some of your pool tips and he will be playing darts!!! Also, on this trip we met such a wonderful person, I really do wish I knew his name as he was so kind and thoughtful, he was one of the gardners and truly a very nice man. Thank you for teaching us about the peacoks and allowing us to watch as you fed them, that was the highlight of the trip!!! Also Anthony, who was not our butler, but took care of needs as if he were. You made us laugh and made the trip even better. I could go on and on about the resort staf, everyone was great.
We loved our butler, Michael. Thank you for everything. You are so very kind and ensured every need was taken care of. Thank you for the nice card you gave me. I will keep it close in my office to remind me of your words of wisdom, you are so correct. I look forward to returning so that we can see you again. I will share that while on this trip Michael went our of his way to assit me in so many ways. I had a root canal a while back, while on the trip the crown broke. Thank you so much for helping me find a dentist and for working so hard to help in ensuring all was taken care of. Also Curtis you help in the matter was greatly appreciated!! Both of you are so great at your job!!!
This trip was special to us in that at the returning guest dinner we were provided with the news of our free week to come. Trudane, thank you for all of your assistance and we so very much loved being able to get to know you during the dinner.
I will also say the spa was great, I had two treatments and both were great. We very much loved the stay and will retun as soon as we can!!!!

4 Thank GushWV
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2010

This was our 3rd stay at Sandals Royal Plantation. At first we were a bit concerned that once again they were under the Sandals brand name. While they have been owned and managed by Sandals resort for many years they operated as a separate hotel.
Let me tell you being under the Sandals name has made Royal Plantation even better
The staff including their wonderful GM Peter Fraser is spectacular. Our two butlers Chrstopher and Jermaine were oustanding
The rest of the staff from the beach butlers to the gardners and everything in between wre fantastic
Nothing in Jamaica even comes close to how wonderful Royal Plantation is.
Just stroll over to Sandals Grande right next door and you will see the difference

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!