We stayed in the GG's suite Dec 10-17 and have booked the same dates/room for 2011. Overall, we were quite pleased with our stay. We found the staff in the spa to be a little pushy trying to add on products that we did not want at the end of the treatment but the treatments themselves were excellent. Our butlers (Anthony & Jason) were pleasant and helpful. However, since the butlers are shared between multiple rooms, they are not able to always answer the phone when you call. Jason was very good about calling back right away if he saw that he had missed our call.
Our room was spectacular with a double balcony and a wonderful ensuite. I would actually argue that the GG's suite is nicer than the PM's suite. There were some issues with the ceiling fans (both inside and outside) and they were able to fix the inside ones during our stay. I'm not certain what the issue was with the outside ones but they were not able to get them repaired.
The food was good but I would be hesitant to use spectacular which seems to be the most common adjective bandied about for Papillon. One criticism of Papillon is that when they have to close the balcony because of rain, the tables inside are too close to one another since they have to try to squeeze everyone in. I would recommend eating at Papillon early in your stay and then deciding if you like it enough to go back. I think once or twice during a week long stay is more than enough unless you absolutely prefer that space to others in the resort. The selection at the restaurant downstairs varies each night and you can always request something from Papillon if you feel like it.
The pub was a nice space but we didnt have much of a chance to explore that menu.
There is a daily activities list that you should review the night before and be sure to let your butler know what interests you. Often, activities just don't happen because no one has expressed any interest.
There is a choice of two beaches, with the one near the sporting centre supposedly the "quieter" of the two. To be honest, I found the other beach to be just as quiet and the beach butler there (Adrian) was one of the friendliest staff at the resort.
I have probably missed something but I have been meaning to post a review for a month now! In any case, it was a pleasant and relaxing stay which was exactly what we were looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios