“Pleasant and Relaxing”

Sandals Royal Plantation
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed in the GG's suite Dec 10-17 and have booked the same dates/room for 2011. Overall, we were quite pleased with our stay. We found the staff in the spa to be a little pushy trying to add on products that we did not want at the end of the treatment but the treatments themselves were excellent. Our butlers (Anthony & Jason) were pleasant and helpful. However, since the butlers are shared between multiple rooms, they are not able to always answer the phone when you call. Jason was very good about calling back right away if he saw that he had missed our call.

Our room was spectacular with a double balcony and a wonderful ensuite. I would actually argue that the GG's suite is nicer than the PM's suite. There were some issues with the ceiling fans (both inside and outside) and they were able to fix the inside ones during our stay. I'm not certain what the issue was with the outside ones but they were not able to get them repaired.

The food was good but I would be hesitant to use spectacular which seems to be the most common adjective bandied about for Papillon. One criticism of Papillon is that when they have to close the balcony because of rain, the tables inside are too close to one another since they have to try to squeeze everyone in. I would recommend eating at Papillon early in your stay and then deciding if you like it enough to go back. I think once or twice during a week long stay is more than enough unless you absolutely prefer that space to others in the resort. The selection at the restaurant downstairs varies each night and you can always request something from Papillon if you feel like it.

The pub was a nice space but we didnt have much of a chance to explore that menu.

There is a daily activities list that you should review the night before and be sure to let your butler know what interests you. Often, activities just don't happen because no one has expressed any interest.

There is a choice of two beaches, with the one near the sporting centre supposedly the "quieter" of the two. To be honest, I found the other beach to be just as quiet and the beach butler there (Adrian) was one of the friendliest staff at the resort.

I have probably missed something but I have been meaning to post a review for a month now! In any case, it was a pleasant and relaxing stay which was exactly what we were looking for.

1  Thank TristanEF
There are newer reviews for Sandals Royal Plantation

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Very friendly staff, good food, perfect rooms amazing views. Would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2011

To be honest I have not much to add to all that's been said about Sandals RP here. I'd like to reinforce that this is a fantastic place to stay, with the nicest staff (special remark to Chris and Jermaine, our butlers) and a lot of possibilities - no matter what you are looking for, they can help you with tours, special treats, spa, etc.
Food is great, drinks are excellent and you are pampered from arrival to departure. If you are looking for a great escape from reality, go for it!

Reviewed 9 January 2011

PROS: Privacy, Butler Service, Food (La Papillon!!), Drinks, Service & Views
CONS: Hmmmm....I can't live there?

I was able to enjoy this property during a travel agent familiarization trip to Jamaica for Aubree's Travel. This was hands down my favorite property. From the moment I arrived (first impression) to the moment I left (lasting impressions) I just really loved this property.

Sandals Royal Plantation is amazing in that it offers you privacy and pampering. Exceptional place for a "Weddingmoon". The butler service that is included helps you to fully relax as you don't have to worry about anything. Left your sunglasses in the room? No problem mon, your butler will have them to you in a jiffy!

The views from the rooms were amazing. The color of the water here is just breathtaking. The rooms were well kept, clean, and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. The food was really good, as were the drinks. The common areas around the property were well appointed and classy.

I was also able to see the 3 bedroom villa with private pool, and have photos of that if you would like to see them (for those wanting complete privacy, this is the way to go).

If you are ready to fully relax, and be pampered with great service and dining at a boutique property, look no further. Contact your Certified Sandals Specialist and have them find you a great deal to this wonderful property.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Aubree M
Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and I visited Royal Plantation from Dec. 26 to Jan. 2. We've travelled to other Sandals properties, but this was our first trip to Royal Plantation. I've read the recent reviews that panned RP and I am frankly shocked. There were a few things that we were less than thrilled about, but nothing came close to prompting such a review.

All the rooms are Butler service, but we found that the service really depended on which Butlers you were assigned. The Butler on duty when we arrived seemed new and not quite as on top of things. For example, we didn't get a tour of the property, even as other people were being given a tour. Oh well, it is a small property and easy enough to figure out where things are.

Our room was nice. We got a mid-level jr suite. Only 11 suites have balconies so it is difficult to get one. We found we did miss it, but we really like sitting on the balcony and reading. The view was amazing. The bed is as comfortable as other reviews have suggested.

The food was great. There were more buffet meals than we expected, but over a holiday week when the hotel was full I guess I should have expected that. The buffet food was pretty good, but it wasn't replenished as often as I would have liked. The French Restaurant was amazing. The food was quite good and the variety of choices was decent. Getting into the restaurant was another matter. We arrived on Sunday and couldn't get into the restaurant until Wednesday. This is where having a butler makes a difference at other properties and not as much at RP. It worked out and all was well.

The beach is nice and doesn't feel crowded. The sun was also on vacation apparently so we didn't have much time to really bask, but we still spent time hanging out with the beach butler (totally amazing guy whose name escapes me). The beach cafe food was pretty good. The lobster blt is not to be missed, but I'd pass on the beef patties served Jamaican style.

Our spa service was amazing. I've had ok massages at other Sandals, but our massages at RP were fantastic. My husband rarely raves about his massage and he was pleased.

We went on one tour. We took the Blue Mountain bike tour. It was fun, but we've debated whether or not we would recommend it. Although they advertise that you stop at a coffee plantation, this is really a stop on the side of the road where you gaze upward at the coffee trees, hear about how the beans are picked and sample coffee prepared on the side of the road (interesting, but thick for me).

The returning guest dinner was great. The people were very interesting and the food was good. I appreciated how they managed the hoopla. Rather than having a drawn out presentation of gifts, there was a heartfelt thank you by Peter Fraser and our gifts were left for us in our room. It felt much classier than the other returning guest dinners that we've attended.

Looking back, the thing that really stood out for us was the sheer level of service. No matter where we were on the property there was someone asking us if we needed anything or bringing us fresh drinks. It's hard to describe the service, but we were happy with how taken care of we felt. It more than balanced the uneven butler service.

If you're planning a trip to this property and obsessively checking the reviews (God knows I did!!), rest assured you will have a wonderful adventure in Jamaica. Royal Plantation is an amazing getaway.

No review would be complete without a shout out to our travel agent Amy McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services. She really went out of her way to find us a great resort suited to us. She checked on us while we were at the property and took the stress out of the trip planning. I can't wait until it's time to plan the next adventure.

1  Thank SMH19
Reviewed 9 January 2011

After adverse weather conditions in the UK it was very doubtful that we would even get to Jamaica, so it was a very warm welcome that greeted us at the Sandals Lounge after only a 4 hour delay. We were quickly whisked away in our private transfer.
On arrival at the RP we had a quick and smooth check in as it was late and we were exhausted. The room we were allocated was 157 which had a fantastic sea view and was in a quiet part of the hotel (we are not sure if there is a noisy part). A very nice touch was the pillow menu. In fact they were that comfortable we are now trying to source them in the UK. The Mini Bar in the room was replenished daily and if you had any requests they were soon assatained. (thank you Alshane for the Fruit Loops). We didn't miss the normal balcony as there was a nice sitting area by the french windows. We had a seperate walk in shower and a Jacuzzi Bath. The only thing we did miss was the double sink.
The Afternoon Tea served between 4 - 5pm was delicious. There were sandwiches, cake nibbles and an endless list of different teas. The returning guests dinner was superb with excellent cuisine in an outstanding setting. The dinner in the french restaurant is probably some of the best food we have tasted. From the chef's specialities, the sorbet and so on and so on. The great thing is becuase it is served over a long period of time you never feel uncomfortably full.
Mr Peter Fraser has a very high level of staff working for him who all seem to genuinely love the job they are doing. To name just a few the head butler Alshane Bailey, Gladstone and Chester in the Bar, Jason in the French Restaurant, Cornell in watersports (although weather not good for sailing) and the unforgettable Beach Butler Adrian a real credit to this hotel, not to mention O'Brian who organised some great evening entertainment.
The quietness and the tranquility of this hotel really added to the enjoyment of this holiday. It never seemed busy even when almost full.
The only downside to this holiday was the Golf Course. We are both extremely keen Golfers and play every day. We have used this Golf course for the last six years and we are sorry to say that it seems to have gone down hill. The condition of the course has deterioated and the way players are suddenly set off on any hole, whether you are in the middle of your round really jams the course up and shows no consideration for other players currently on the course. This makes the round twice as long and leaves you standing arouund waiting to take your shot. This is not what we are used to back in the Uk or even other courses around the world we have played, The caddies we use are to a high standard. Wayne and Radcliffe are excellent and we have used them for many years. Lora in the shop always offers a warm welcome. She even took us to Sunday Service Church this time which was a very memeroable experience.
The weather was the worst we have experienced in the last six years at Christmas. I guess the whole world is having severe weather so there is not a lot you can do about this apart from enjoy your holiday, which is not hard at this resort.

Paul & Lesley

Reviewed 7 January 2011

We stayed during the Thanksgiving holiday and indeed we had a lovely time. However when we arrived at the airport we were met outside the closed lounge and put outside and forgotten. We had to find to transportation from the hotel ourselves. No one seemed to care. The lounge was closed in the airport and forget anything to drink there or in route. What's the point of them advertising something that doesn't exist?
Once at the destination it was nice. The Pappilion was no 5 star restaurant. It was average and the food was repetative. Same menu every night- JOY! It was my anniversary and I only made one special request to eat on the outside deck on that night. Our bulter, Richard couldn't manage it and never bothered to tell us- so when i told him of my disappointment he (Richard) lied and said I never said that and since it was such a great place that should be good enough. NOT! After that Richard spent the rest of our vacation trying to make it up to me and failed miserably at each opportunity. I wanted no more to do with him. Butler my behind! Apparently if you make dinner reservations before you get there you might get to eat out on the porch of the "5 Star" restaurant. I think Richard just didn't care. Another day they left shrimp cocktails in our room after and excursion- we were back 3 hours late and the shrimp were room temp.- Gee I really wanted to die from food poisioning- Thanks again Richard. I dumped them out into the hall- yuck! I will know next time.
Our second butler, Cleon was nice and seemed to be on the right track.
The general manager Peter was great. He worked his behind off to make everyone happy. Our room on the thrid floor was very quiet. The view was nice of the ocean, there is very little beach. Most of the guests are Europeans and none spoke to us. Seemed strange to us, but we didn't care.
The alcohol brand variety at the hotel was poor. No spiced rum, no single malt. What were we paying for? Beer? The food in the restaurants was repetative and got boring.
The golf was fun and our caddie was great, we played twice. Not cheap even if its free, by the time they tack everything on - its about $150 per round.
They bring in locals to sell junk- so if you want a souvenir you don't really have to leave and be harassed by the locals. We never had a moments problem with any locals.
We did the raft trip down the matha brae and went to the coffee plantation- all in all very pleasant and again no one bothered us.
We got a great deal and considered going back but the sale on black Friday we indeed 5-600 more thay we paid for this trip so so we didn't bother to rebook. It was all in all nice, but more because of no kids and small size than anything else.
If I were Peter I would fire Richare as he really lowered my perspective of what a butler does- apparently nothing in his case.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!