“MOST ENJOYABLE STAY”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Texas
“MOST ENJOYABLE STAY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Rooms On The Beach was perfect for me and my vacation/reunion. The location is perfect. It is on the beach and you can walk into town to every place as it is right in the middle of Main Street. I arrived and got checked in immediately. My room was on the first floor, as I requested. The room was very big and it was ALWAYS clean. I had the Continental Breakfast (Toast with butter & Jelly, Muffin, Bowl of Fresh Fruit, Ceral with Milk, Juice, Coffee and Tea) every day, for me, it was plenty and I enjoyed it a lot. I also had dinners there (Chicken, Pasta and Fish) on the nights when our group were not going to our prearranged events. The entire staff (Management, Front Desk, Life Guards, Waitresses, Housekeeping, Bartenders) here were fabulous and very helpful. We owe special thanks to Mr. D. Phillpotts for all of his assistance every night. Ms. Sonia Davis, the Manager, was very accomodating and we appreciate her interest and concern for our comfort during our stay. Thank you ALL so very much for all the great hospitality which you provided for us. Hoping to come back again soon. Ann

Room Tip: For me I have problems with my legs and feet so I needed a room on the first floor. I heard from mo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Very modest hotel, right on the beach. Nothing fancy yet bright, clean and very accommodating. Limited menu at restaurant yet very close to local establishments. Got a "Wonderful" massage for a very reasonable price.
Pack light because there is laundry facilities on different floors.

Very relaxing time be it at the pool, on the beach or hitting the town!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank kyw105
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

i love Jamaica and travel here often i understand that service and quality may not at times be up to standard but this was horrendous! to be fair not all were that bad, The lifeguard was lovely as was the night receptionist kirk. The manager was really rude and unhelpful. Dwayne the bar tender was an absolute creep! the rooms were an nice size but found that the cleaners did a shabby job of cleaning and i over heard one make a comment about cleaning the sand out of the bath.......erm sorry but your a cleaner! i get that sometimes ewe may moan about our jobs but i found it unacceptable to do so in front of guests. the food was also crap. wouldnt stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Tasha h

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed here US labor day weekend in 2012 for 4 nights. I traveled alone with the intentions of seeing the whole island(Ocho Rios, Kingston, Negril, Montego), which I did. The room was very clean, ac worked perfectly, and very quiet. The staff upgraded me to a balcony because i wanted a beach view without the long green fence in the way. I want to say that this hotel was targeted more towards locals looking for a getaway locally. I probably saw 3 or 4 other travelers along my trip there. The bar and pool are pretty decent and every bartender there was nice. Security made me feel safe as there is several along the property. Continental breakfast is a slice of bread and some cereal. You are more than likely to pay for breakfast (Ackee and sawfish is delicious)

The staff was always helpful in accommodating my needs, although each of them came off rude and looked as if they hated every second of life. The PROBLEMS i did have was phone usage which you cant use in the room unless you make a deposit. Its a land line phone for christ sake not a jet skii rental. Another problem was wireless. I like to upload my pictures to facebook daily and the only way to get wifi was at the bar and dining area. Other than that i guess you say you what you pay for. My trip was very satisfying and this place certainly satisfied my budget :)

Room Tip: Get the balcony for an amazing beach front view and sunset
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JerseyBoy88
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

Just got back from a Jamaica vacation, where I first stayed at Rooms, then at Sandals Grande Riviera. The two were black and white - stay at Sandals, even if it takes saving up longer.

Rooms on the Beach:

STAFF (the worst) - Extremely rude during entire stay. During check in they unfairly gouged us for an extra person charge (beware - even though travel sites like Expedia/Hotwire say the rooms fit up to 4 people, we only included names of 2 out of our 3 people on the reservation itself, and as a result had to pay $25 per night for the extra person. We'll probably dispute this charge, but at the time we just wanted in the room, so we paid it). Staff rolled their eyes and other unwelcoming gestures. Also worth noting, after we checked-in and put our bags in the room, we walked to get food from the town...Upon leaving the gate of the resort, the "security guard" asked us what room we were staying in. Since we had just argued about the "extra-person room charge" with the front desk, and since it was obvious we were leaving the hotel ground for a while, I wasn't eager to give me room number to this guy. I have never had a hotel demand I give my room number when they see me leaving. Weird. So I refused, told them I was a registered guest and that I would provide my room number upon my return. After saying no 3x, they said "fine" and we walked. Next, room keys. We were there for a wedding with a ton of family in different rooms, and with my grandmother present, I asked politely for a room key to her room so I could move room to room easily. They rudely denied the request, saying they "cannot issue everyone an extra key." That may be true, but not everyone requests an extra key, and I had good reason. And, it's a plastic card, give me a break. Next, they're slow-moving. Maybe their idea of "island time" is an excuse for this sluggiishness, but it took their kitchen an hour to make 2 sandwiches when the restaurant area was completely empty (this isn't even room service - we were waiting in the restaurant and it took that long). Generally, all of the staff acted like they hated their job, did not want to be there, and it seemed like they talked to each other about guests. Also, it seemed like they disliked Americans. I know sometimes Americans can have special requests, act entitled, annoying, etc., but I don't think our group acted in any way to deserve the eyerolls and mean treatment we received.

ROOMS - Outdated and dirty. Comforters look like they're never washed, floor is filthy even though made service mops it daily. Bathrooms were the worst. No electric outlet in bathrooms, so all hair or shaving had to be done out in the room. Moldy ceilings and no air vent for steam. Room and bathroom had absolutely terrible lighting - one lamp in the bedroom (and one of our light bulbs were out in the bathroom). Curtains in rooms are also filthy. Hallways are cement, so all sounds echo. I was napping waiting on other family to arrive, and literally, I knew they had arrived from hearing them in the hallway. Noisy echos.

FOOD - The continental breakfast is just okay. Sliced bread, butter, jam, and cereal. That was buffet-style, but they control how much of the other stuff you receive - they bring you one glass of OJ, a muffin and two pieces of fruit. No hot food or meats. Staff acted put-off that I asked for another glass of OJ (their glasses are tiny). Drinks from the swim-up bar were good, but staff unfriendly again. The items from lunch & dinner menu at the restaurant were good, but nothing special.

POOL/BEACH - Pool was very clean and nice. Beach is steps away from the pool and also kept clean. Lounge chairs made laying out on the beach easy. Area of beach we laid-out (right in front of the hotel) had several jellyfish in the water, and one person in our party was stung within minutes of stepping into the ocean. Not sure if it's just this time of year, but it was kind of a buzzkill for swimming. The lifeguard at the pool was nice to apply a vinegar solution to help the stinging, though.

IN SUMMARY - PAY THE EXTRA TO STAY AT ALL-INCLUSIVE SANDALS! It was 1000x better. Staff was so polite compared to Rooms, food was delicious, and rooms were impeccable clean.

Hope this helps warn others!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kelsey W
Paget Parish, Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Just returned from staying at Rooms Sept 21 - Oct 1. Location good. Now lets talk about the hotel. The rooms need to be up graded. Each room should come with a small fridge. The ice machine on the second floor was out of service for the duration of the time we were there. Therefore we had to go to the pool bar to get ice. Remove that big tv cabinet and put a flat screen on the wall. There was no cd clock radio as they advertise and the phone in the room did not work. Went to get a shower and the shower head dropped off. I requested the bed spread to be changed as it did not smell fresh. The dinning area definitely needs to be upgraded. The plastic on the chairs torn and scratches up you leg, some decent table cloths, toaster that works and in hance their continential breakfast. The menu they offer for the price is worth it. As my spouse is a Jamaican he enjoyed the Jamaican breakfast they offer. Some of the staff act like they doing you a favor. Rooms just needs a face lift. The pictures on the web does not represent what you see in person.

Room Tip: rooms facing the beach are good
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CWilliams1960
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

A good location great beach and walking distance to the town centre with amenties within a short ride away from all the tourist attractions. However the facilities were pretty basic and we had endless problems with the toilet overflowing and making a noise, cock roache in the room, saw a rat running around on the outside grounds, could'nt get an iron when you wanted one giglo's on the beach picking up tourists, the safe provided - did not work! the equipment in the Gym did not work, no fridge provdied in the room - and the problems just went on. We Definately would not stay there again!

Room Tip: Stay in a private villa or rented apparment when you have your own cooking facilities.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
#29 of 36 in Ocho Rios
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!