“Loved the Riu!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Riu from Jan 28th-Feb 3rd. Stayed on the deluxe side.. pretty close to everything. Resort was beautiful. Loved the beach! I laid out by it every day. Nice size, beautiful water & soft sand. Make sure to try the jerk chicken hut on the beach.. it is delicious!

I only have 2 complaints about our stay; 1.The beds are AWFUL!! This seems to be a problem any time we travel but man, these beds were so uncomfortable. No matter how I laid, I could not find a comfortable position. 2.While we were there, there were some VERY loud, obnoxious Canadians(a group of 20+)that did not know how to handle their alcohol & were screaming & yelling, running around the pool, throwing ping pongs at people's heads & just did not know how to act. The group was young, about 18. They tried to start a fight with my boyfriend & I because my boyfriend asked the mom to answer her daughter who was on her balcony screaming at her for over 5 minutes. When the mom got in my face, the lifeguard just looked over & did nothing. I was a little put off by that. They also woke us up 4 of the 6 nights we stayed there by coming in at 2-3am & screaming in the hallways & 2 of the nights they set off the fire alarms. I did not go on vacation to spend it with a bunch of kids who think they are on spring break. I was hoping the staff would intervene a little but no such luck.

The food was very good. Try the tenderloin at Sir Richard-it is fantastic! Drinks are very weak.

All in all, it was a great birthday getaway & I would stay there again if we decide to go back to Jamaica.

1  Thank peaches2581

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios in April of 2011. It was four first experience at an all inclusive, and actually, the first time out of the country. From the minute we arrived, we were impressed. The lobby is amazing, the room was clean and neatly arranged. We had a balcony with ocean view. Just spectacular. We spent much of our days lounging by the pool. We got a couples massage right on the beach. We went snorkeling and took a couple of excursions. Everything was completely effortless. The people are always friendly and ready to serve. The best food was definitely the jerk chicken on the beach every day. The rest of the food was decent. We loved the breakfast buffet. Some things were bland (what looked like pizza definitely didn't taste like it). There are a few restaurants only available to those in the more expensive rooms. A couple of them were very good, but the others were nothing to write home about. If you are basing your decision to upgrade on the exclusive restaurants, save your money.

Recommendations:
Visit the travel agents at the front of the hotel and schedule a few excursions. Dunns river falls is a must. I would opt not to go on the luminous lagoon trip again. It was neat, but the drive wasn't worth it.
If you go snorkeling, buy a cheap underwater digital camera. The disposables are junk. The pictures were awful and the processing was expensive.
Bring about $100 in singles for tips. Tips aren't required, but are appreciated, and you will just get a lot better service. You may think you paid enough, but seriously, it's not a lot of money, and the workers travel very far to come and serve you for long hours. They don't get paid a lot, so they really appreciate your small token of gratitude. It's the right thing to do.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jeremey N
Reviewed 5 February 2014

There were four in our party that stayed from 1/27/14 - 2/1/2014. Riu's have different levels and after this experience I will never stay in anything lower than a palace again. First the pro's - beautiful scenary around the resort, for the most part, friendly and accomidating staff (if you are polite and interact with them), excursion to the Dunns River Falls by boat the best ever, amazing snorkeling, beautiful beaches and good entertainment in the evening. Then the con's - rooms smelled musty (my clothes and purse still smelled of must when I got him), horrible water pressure in shower, mini bar only refilled every two days (one day they took an empty bottle of alcohol but didn't replace it), food was average at best - the best things we had was the red snapper and shrimp with the chimichurri sauce at the steakhouse and the jerk chicken, the pool was filthy (one day in the corner was full of garbage, sand, white foamy bubble and it took hours for them to skim it out) and badly in need of repair (if you leaned up against the walls you were covered with paint), our requested king bed was two double side by side, and gift shop attendants were rude. I would not return back to this resort and am not sure that I would return to a RIU again.

3  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed Jan 23 to Feb 7th.
Food is good quality, varied and plentiful.
Rooms, only speak for deluxe, pleasant, and clean.
Location. Mammee bay is beautiful, with a lovely sandy beach. I was pleased to see that the jet ski mafia are no longer moored by the beach. $30 taxi ride to Ocho Rios town. Bus trip every day $20 return.
Yes I would stay here again, however there are some things that need addressing.
We had the misfortune to have a large group of young Canadians descend on the pool. They were loud, aggressive, and foul mouthed, to the point that they almost started a fight with some of the guests. The pool staff were not interested, saying we had to report any complaints to reception. Four of us did, however reception staff were not much better. Only when we demanded to see a manager did the deputy head of security turn up, and after some forceful representation he agreed to do something about the rowdiness. I have to say that from that point on the situation was completely resolved. If you do find it too rowdy and boisterous make sure you tell a manager and from my experience I believe they will deal with it.

Wireless connectivity is flakey at best. It is free 24/7 in the deluxe rooms, but only 90 minutes a day in the lobby. Outside of that it is very expensive. In this day and age wireless should be good quality and free to all like most modern hotels.

I hope the Riu management read the reviews. They don't seem to comment on them, displaying either ignorance or arrogance, I'm not sure which.

If you are reading management, better wireless and better security, and monitoring of the pool areas for drunken behaviour please.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra for the deluxe. If you're not happy with something make sure you...
1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The people were so nice the entertainment was just right the food and rooms could have used an upgrade but it did what it had to do. Over all it was a great trip. Tips are not needed or but they are appreciated. I am 23 and husband is 29 and we enjoyed it all.

2  Thank Regina P
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed there from Jan 11 to 18 with my daugther. We loved absolutely everything; great staff; amazing food; clean; booked and unbooked restaurant réservations within seconds, animators were the nicest people I ever met and the shows were top of the line. Checked in within minutes. Ok so you need to go get your drinks at the bar... as far as I`m concerned, it's good exercise ! Beaches in Jamaica are absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend this hotel and Jamaica. It`s Worth every penny... and contrary to some remarks I said, no one is looking for a tip and no one on the beach selling you stuff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isabella S
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We traveled to this resort from Jan 25 to Feb 1. We had a group of 6, three couples. Our experience started off with a unfriendly, unorganized check in. The front desk staff seemed as if the had no knowledge of our arrivel, once we got our keys the staff pointed us to were our rooms were. No offering of a bell boy or even a map to find our way, this resort is big and it was dark when we checked in. We couldn't get keys to our safes until three days into our trip because there was none available. The hotel rooms smelled strongly of mold. So strong two out if the three couples has to switch their rooms. The shower curtains were so smelly we had to shower with them open. On top of that there was no water pressure. No offering of the little shampoo bottles either. One couple went three days before their room even got cleaned. Four out of the six of us got really sick from the food. Near the end of the week we had to go off the resort just to eat. The pool was in need of some repairs, tiles broken or missing all over the pool area. The pool closed at 6, and there was jacuzzi, but it was inside the spa, it only could be used by reservations and it was broken. The beach was nice, although if you didn't have a gold wrist band, adults only, you had to be careful on which side of the beach you sat on. Our group got rudely kicked of because we were four feet onto the adults only beach. The entertainment staff was great, the shows around the pool during the day were entrainmenting. The evening shows were very good, including the beach party. The entrainment was done by 11 every night, and the bars closed at midnight. There was a sports bar open 24 hours, but it stunk like sewer so bad that the place was empty the whole time. This resort was rated a 5 star, I would rate it closer to a 3 star. I will never return to Riu Ochos Rio, and will never recommend this resort for any vacation.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!