“Great place, great weather, awesome food.”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Great place, great weather, awesome food.”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was our first trip to Jamaica and very happy with the Riu hotel. We went from 14 Feb to 21 Feb 14.
Flight - check in went well despite it being pretty busy at the airport. But Sunwing needs to improve on their breakfast. An English muffin with a bit of cheese is what they consider breakfast. Two years ago we got a full breakfast, so what gives.
As for the hotel, we were very happy with their service, check in went well but since we arrived before 3 our room wasn't ready so the staff said to grab a lunch and check back by 3. We did and given our keys. We were on the 4th floor with the elevator across from our room. This was fine but during our stay the elevator kept breaking down. Good thing we could climb stairs but not so good for people in wheelchairs or seniors who couldn't. At least there were two other elevators on the other side. Our room was very clean and well maintained. Bed a bit hard but didn't mind and the pillows weren't lumpy!
We stayed on the adults only side and it paid off. We had access to 5 a la carte restaurants, our own pool and beach area. We even had bar service on the beach. The staff were awesome always happy. Even the front desk were very friendly including the maintenance men.
Food - Fantastic, great variety. Went to two of a la carte restaurants and the food and service was excellent.
Beach - was great but would have preferred to take longer walks. Restricted to about a 10 min walk as there weren't many hotels in our area. No problems with getting lounge chairs or fresh towels.
We did two excursions, Dunn's Falls and Glistening Lagoon. Both were ok, but neither one has food so make sure you bring something. They also reminded us to tip which was a turn off. We took a taxi into town and he was fantastic, more informative than the tour operators.
Overall I would come back.

Room Tip: Go to the delux side garden view. Quiet on that side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jackyanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Now to start my rant here for the amount of money I paid for this week, this is the worst all inclusive I have ever stayed at!!! All my clothes and luggage smell musty and mouldy from my room, it will not come out. Buffet was good but way too small for the amount of people at this resort, every time you go up to eat half the trays were empty. Staff was slow with service and at times not friendly. Very disappointed. Will never go to a Riu again and I recommended you don't either.

Stayed February 2014
10 Thank thordycent
hemsby
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Our first holiday in Jamaica was made enjoyable and unforgettable by staying at the Club Riu. Hotel was clean, food fanastic with such a wide range of choice and also bountiful amounts.
Hotel staff always polite and willing to provide a superb service, entertainment staff made you welcome especially George he always took the time to chat we see you and ask if everything was ok.
Our housemaid Charmaine Bailey ensured are room was always clean, fresh towels etc, and was polite and friendly.
Jerk hut was excellent recommendation and delious at lunchtime its a must visit.
Hotel was in prime position for visiting tourist attraction as dolphin cove, mystic mountain, shopping centre taj mahal and dunns falls are only roughly 5-10 drive alway from hotel.
Hotel is set on a lovely white sanded beach with beautiful blue waters which we visited daily.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mick b
Woodville, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We visited this resort in 2010 and decided to go back again. Not as good as the first trip but still had a great time. We found the help not quite as helpful as the first time around with the exception of our girl Jaqueline who did a stellar job on our room for the stay, artsy towels and spotless, "military" bed making and no sand when you crawled in after your beach day.
BEACH:
This is where the resort is 5 star, sandy,warm,lots of chairs,shade if you want, sun if you don't. If you are going specifically for snorkeling/scuba you really need to go off the resort, limited snorkeling out in front of the resort, but still some just the same. I spent my days building sand sculptures and meeting all kinds of people from all over the world, this was awesome!
FOOD:
When you are feeding a group of that size quality sometimes tends to suffer, but over all if you went hungry, you had no one to blame but yourself. variety with a good blend of common foods and island specialties could be found anytime of the day.
ROOMS:
Most of the reviews I came across seemed to complain about building three being such a walk. We stayed in this building and found it clean and central to most of our needs, it surrounds the pool, lunch buffet on one side, dinner buffet on the other, pool bar to keep you hydrated and best beach right out front. The only time you really had to walk was to the lobby for excursions and nightly shows, but really, after all that food and drink you will need the exercise and it's not all that far. The rooms themselves have abit of a musty smell, but keep in mind you are in a tropical environment,it's humid,you are going to find this at ANY of the resorts,after a day you won't even notice it. NO roaches, the odd little gecko, me thinks some people just need to B*%&$& about something. Save your money when it comes to the Junior Suites, you aren't there to spend time in the room.
WIFI:
YOU ARE ON VACATION! Free 90 minutes a day is ample! Touch base with home to rub in the fact that you are holding a slushie drink loaded with Appleton's best on a sunny beach and sweating and move on.
Overall we would go again, we go for the 5"B"s, not so much the 5 stars, 5"B"s would be beach, bar, beds, buffet, and ...., I'll leave the last one for your imagination. but a 5 "B" resort for sure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Donna B
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Been here since 15th, I'm wondering if some of these reviewers were even here. The four of us have been here since Saturday. Everything's been outstanding. I honestly do not have one compliant. Drinks, food ,entertainment,service ,have been excellent. Hotel is right on the beach. What more could you want? If I come to Ocho rios again, I will stay here, no problem mon

Room Tip: We were to late to get an ocean view, but didn't spend a lot of time in room,next time I will bo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank William H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here with some adult family members of mine. We stayed on the adults only/deluxe side. This was definitely better than the main area. The beach is beautiful even with the non stop hassle of people trying to sell you garbage. The lobby is big and beautiful. The beach jerk chicken hut was my go to spot as the buffet food was nothing special and I was sick of it quickly. The nightly entertainment was good for the most part. Overall it was an average all-inclusive nothing spectacular, but it was a good deal. So as the saying goes you get what you pay for. A highlight was a catamaran booze cruise to Dunn River Falls. Catamaran brings you right to the bottom of the Falls and you climb it to the top.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan B
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from an incredible vacation at the Riu, Ocho Rios. Our room was a standard ocean view on the second floor (Rm 2218) which was directly in front of the pool and above the buffet. I hardly spent any time in the room but I did hear cutlery clanging first thing in the am. Not a major deal. The view was amazing, although not ocean front ( I didn't pay for ocean front, though). In the mornings, the sunrise was stunning but slightly obscured by the Jewel resort next door. Perhaps a room on a higher floor would fare better. The room was a decent size with a "king sized" bed. It was actually two double beds pushed together but this wasn't an issue for me in the least. The firmness of the beds and pillows was perfect for us. I had NO trouble adjusting to a different bed. The washroom was a good size with double sinks. The water pressure was fine but would become just right as we became sunkissed. The scent of the shampoo/body wash was so nice that i used it all week. I brought my own from home but the lovely almond/ Shea butter scent had me tossing my Bath and Body Works and Matrix aside. The room had a slightly musty odor but was not unpleasant or overbearing, Just strange. I kept the patio doors open at night and was lulled to sleep by the rolling ocean, and the crickets, birds and frogs from the nearby pond. The liquor dispenser was full on arrival and the mixers (Coke, Diet Coke, water, tonic and soda water, and orange pop - Bigga) were replenished every two days. It was absolutely NO PROBLEM to have the pop and water replenished by the housemen and the bottled Red Stripe by the bartenders.
The staff was fantastic, going above and beyond for us. Our maid was Pauline, who kept the room spotless and we always had fresh towels. The sheets were changed on a daily basis ( as far as I could tell - I usually had sand in my bed) and the floor was always swept. Even though I always used the foot showers on the beach, i managed to track sand in. My husband discovered Busta - a fabulous coconut confection. He devoured his bag and asked Pauline about finding more. When we returned to our room the next day, she had left a bag for us.
Brittany, our breakfast waitress was very sweet and always had a moment to chat with us and offer suggestions for excursions. In the same section was another waitress that was always singing and in a good mood.We began calling her Song Bird and the name stuck so her name escapes me. There was also a great bartender at the "Dunn's River" bar in the entertainment area that completely accommodated my husband. They serve only draft beer at the bars and he requested bottled. For the rest of the night he was set. For the rest of our stay, the bartender always asked if he needed more. I didn't catch his name but he was one of the few that wears a green vest.
The food was excellent. It was geared to a North American/European taste, with no shortage of selection. Breakfast offered everything from bacon and eggs, croissants, cereal, a fresh omelette station made to order, and my personal favorite- smoothies. The food was fresh, hot, and immediately restocked. With the exception of two days, we ate jerk chicken on the beach at the Jerk Hut for lunch. It was fabulous! It was a milder seasoning with spicier sauce on the side so don't let that scare you away if you have a sensitive tummy. We tried out the lunch buffet by the water sports section and there was a great selection as well. They had a panini station but I was making an attempt to avoid bread. Dinner was also fantastic. We ate at the buffet most nights and there were a few theme nights. On our first night at the resort, we didn't notice the station that was just outside the restaurant and missed the seafood night. there was always a selection of fish on the buffet, however. The piccolo Italia was a smaller buffet that offered everything from pizza to pasta. A few times we grabbed a slice or two while we were watching the shows. There was also a sports bar that was open 24 hours that served popcorn, nachos and cheese, sandwiches, hamburgers and hotdogs. There were three restaurants to chose from - an Asian style buffet, and two a la cartes. We chose Mandaly one night but I wasn't in the mood for American style "Chinese". i didn't enjoy it but my husband did. We also tried the steakhouse. Our reservation was for the last sitting at 9 pm and far too late for me. I'm an earlier diner. The food was great but I had already snagged something off the buffet because of the later hour.We didn't try out the gourmet restaurant because we would have had to reserve a table at 8 am to get the earlier sitting. There were two other restaurants in the deluxe wing but weren't available to the guests in standard rooms. I was fine with that, I ate enough for an army. I thought I would lose a few pounds but gained instead. I also didn't have an issue adjusting to the food. In fact, I ate like a horse to the point where i was sick of eating by the end of the week.
The entertainment crew worked non stop to keep the guests form developing "food babies" or going into food induced comas. We only spent one day on the resort but I did see am aerobics and dance lessons. The activity board was full of things to participate in. We were always there in the evening to watch the live bands from 7 to 9ish. They were always good. At 9;30, the entertainment crew took over with a variety of shows. One night there was a beach party with fire show, a steel drum orchestra, a lot of choreographed dancing, and a few nights when they pulled the guests on stage to make fools out of themselves. I'm not a drinker but my husband did mention that the drinks seemed watered down in the evening. I always had an assortment of yummy frozen (virgin) drinks to sample.
The hotel and tour companies offer a wide assortment of excursion. Something for everyone and every budget. We booked one tour through the hotel which was a catamaran to Dunn's River Falls and snorkeling of the reef. It was a three hour trip and well worth the $80 for two. For the duration of our stay, we chose to use cabs. There was a cab stand in the lobby with always someone available to help you out. we used Marlon the entire time we were there and I would highly recommend him. Our first excursion was shopping in Ocho Rios. The Riu is technically in Mammee Bay but Ochie isn't far. It was $30 return into town but Marlon waited for us and we were able to set a pick up time of our choice, not the tours. At the same time, he took us on a sightseeing tout up the mountain, stopping at a few places of interest, allowing for great photo ops. Our next excursion was to Negril which was over $200 return. A little pricey, but once again, Marlon was with us all day. We left at 9 am and returned after 7 pm. He also stopped at Columbus Park at Discovery Bay and Montego Bay, overlooking the airport. In Negril, he took us to Margaritaville for lunch and arranged a two hpur pick up so we could spend time on 7 Mile Beach. When we returned, he was waiting in the car. From there we went to Rick's Cafe to watch the Cliff Divers. Our final excursion with Marlon was to the blue hole. Our trip was $100 return to a beautiful location. There is no admission charge but the local boys offer a guide service and assist the ladies for a tip/fee. Much like Dunn's River Falls, I found the water a bit chilly. If you are a photographer - either professional or amateur, check out this little gem. Time is of the essence when you are on vacation and you want to fit in everything, Marlon is your guy to get you there quickly. Ask for him at the taxi stand.
The last excursion we took was minutes outside of the Riu gates. We stumbled upon the horse corral while taking a stroll. The hotel offers a tour but it was half the price and no lost time in transport. Captain Johnny and Paul were our guides and represented the "real" Jamaica. We went into the village across the street from the resort and up the mountain. There, we were able to see an assortment of living conditions. Captain johnny handled my camera and took a great number of shots for me. We had a rest stop at a local bar where the prices were decent for tourists. For a comparison, we went to Bambu Blu, a small restaurant next to the resort. We were charged $14 US for two drinks but in the village we were charged $14 for 4 drinks, two of them alcoholic and imported. From the bar, we meandered down the mountain to the ocean. the horses had no fear of the water and it wasn't a problem to get them up to their chests. We rode the beach to the fence line of the Jewel where there was a little shanty town and vendors. We didn't browse as we had already purchased our souvenirs. A polite "no, thank you" sufficed and they weren't persistent like in town or in Negril at 7 Mile Beach. Make sure you tip them, they are worse off than the hotel staff.
All in all ,it was a great experience. I will be returning to Jamaica :)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want to see the sunrise or if the noise from the buffet will annoy you...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,395 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!