“Not bad, but could be better”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just got back this weekend. I don't think I expected it to be GREAT so I'm not too disappointed.
Not sure if it's the time of year we went, or what... I think they were fully booked to capacity. At least, that would make the most sense, otherwise I don't know what's wrong with them.

We stayed on the Deluxe side which was nice. Away from the crowds and noise and all... Our own pool with swim up bar, unlimited WIFI, nice beach.

The room was nicer than a lot of the resorts we've stayed at- a bit more modern and new.

Food: The food itself was OK.. The Jamaican food like Oxtail, and Goat Curry, Ackee and Salt Fish were great. The only issue is that the line ups for food were ridiculous!! Again, may be because they were super busy. Only one restaurant at dinner also, so everyone is eating at the same place, unless you have a la carte. I have never had to stand in a line to wait for food at a buffet! Weird. So besides a 5 minute wait, food was good. Rice was a bit undercooked.

Jerk hut was good. Not too flavourful though...

A la cartes were not very good. Gourmet was the best. Chinese was OK. Japanese OK. Steakhouse not so great.

Bars:
Bartenders were generally good. I mean, it's Jamaica so did expect some attitude (and got it!), but other than the occasional eye roll and ignoring, it was fine... Bar by the club seemed not to want to help though (lots of young male bartenders there).

Entertainment:
Great entertainment, fun.

Overall, it was a really fun trip- locals are very nice (not the ones trying to get your money). Authentic food was great. Grounds are nice, and rooms are nice. Only thing is probably the food and restaurants that were not the best... I would not say this was a 5 star. Maybe a 4 & 1/2.

Room Tip: I don't know if there's a difference. Deluxe. And second floor or higher.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandrew_boo

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is the second year that we vacationed at this hotel. We chose to go back because of the great location, the service, and i've grown to really like the Riu brand. One other reason we were happy to return had to do with our server in the St. Ann Restaurant (Terri). She is an amazing person who's very good at her job. She even remembered us from last year and greeted the four of us with a big smile and warm hugs. As was the case last year, we often watched her as she went about her work, bringing smiles to everyone she came into contact with. We made it a point every morning to head for her section. She also did us a huge favor, going above and beyond what I expected from any staff member anywhere, assisting us in being able to contact our friends living off the resort to come and pick us up and show us around the surrounding area. Thank you, Terri. You're awesome!
I'd also like to give a big shout out to the staff at the swim up bar in the Deluxe Wing. You made our late afternoons a lot of fun, and kept everyone smiling.
As was the case last year, the food was great. Loads of variety. A chef at one of the restaurants by the beach, even offered to whip up my buddy something that we didn't see on the regular "menu" one afternoon. Now that's service!
Though I loved the food, I wasn't a fan of the pastries, but there are lots of alternatives if you want dessert, such as fruits, jello and ice cream.
There were only two concerns during our stay. When we arrived we were given a room in the low 1300's in the Deluxe Wing. Unfortunately, though the view to the left was the ocean, the view to the right overlooked the stage area roof. We like to sleep with our balcony door open, but the first night we could not due to the extremely loud noise from partygoers returning to their rooms very late at night. Let me be clear that we love to party and did our share, but after a certain hour we toned it down. However, others didn't seem to care, with the noise continuing below our room went well past 3 a.m. We assumed because it was Saturday, that's why it was so noisy, so we decided to put up with it. Not the case however! Sunday night was just as bad. We asked for a new room, but they couldn't get us one till Tuesday, so we had to endure 1 more night where our sleep was often interrupted. We were given a new room where another problem came up. When we went to the new room with our luggage Tuesday afternoon, we noticed the door was ajar. We walked in, and though we didn't see anyone, we noticed a suitcase on the bed. Thinking it was an error by the front desk, we quickly walked out. The maid and someone that perhaps was a supervisor were nearby so we called them over. As the supervisor went to investigate, a guy walked out. When she asked why he was in the room, he said he went to the wrong room in error. The supervisor immediately looked over the room to make sure everything was okay. The problem was, unlike all the other doors, the door to this room didn't swing shut by itself. You had to push it harder, to close it, and if you didn't, and you walked away from it, it remained open making it easy for someone to walk in. I don't know if we were the first to notice or if it was a problem that wasn't addressed, but regardless, I was quite concerned and maybe a little paranoid as to what that guy was doing in our room. On the plus side, the room however, was in a great part of the Deluxe Wing, close to where we were last year so we were treated to peace and quiet at night (with the exception of the odd partygoer yelling in celebration which was no big deal most of the time). Just being able to sleep with the door open and hear the waves of the ocean was great.
I'd like to also thank the front desk staff because they not only moved us to the new room, but they were able to move another couple we travelled with to a room close by.
Our rooms were always kept clean and stocked by the hotel maids. They were always very friendly and personable to talk to if you ran into them in the hall way. In fact most of the staff we encountered always had a big smile and hello. Despite the two problems we had, I truly like this place enough that, though we are considering trying Cuba or the Dominican Republic next year, we have every intention on returning back to Jamaica and staying at the Riu Ocho Rios the following year. Thank you to everyone for what was an awesome, fun filled holiday. Though I hesitated at first, I'm ranking it 5 stars because in the end, despite the concerns I just mentioned, the remaining 7 days at the hotel were a lot of fun and we pretty much forgot about the issues we encountered.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank govboy
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just came back from this hotel two days ago.The hotel was ok,we saw better hotels when we got to Jamaica...When you travel to another country thousands of miles away especially with kids, you definitely expect to enjoy the hotel stay and the food but unfortunately that wasn't the case for us..the food was mediocre that even my two kids refused to eat it..absolutely nothing tasted good except in Sir John restaurant which if you are lucky they will give you a one time seating during your stay in that restaurant.Most of the time you will be spending half of your mornings in long line waiting to make restaurant reservations which is absurd!!! If you have kids,there is really no much to do for them in there..20%of the stuff is nice and they would say hello each time, as the other 80% have some mean faces and looks like they are hating on the tourists.Over all do your home work and read a LOT of reviews before you book in this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank fo411
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Club Hotel Riu Ochos Rios Jamaica in June and we were not disappointed.
The hotel itself is very large with about 800 rooms but despite that it still gives the feeling of privacy and quiet, should you want that,
The food and drinks included in the all inclusive deal was very impressive with numerous types of restaurants and bars to cater for all needs and tastes.
The beach is idilick with quiet areas if wanted and also there are all activities including water sports, pool sports, beach games all organised by the excellent and tireless entertainment crew who help make this holiday with there friendly, warm and funny banter.
All in all this is an excellent hotel with many, many good points and very few bad ones, in fact me and my family can not think of anything bad to write because there wasn't anything bad there!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT<

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the reception and restaurant areas otherwise you could have quite a walk to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KGG67
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We did stay here back in April its beautiful hotel very friendly staff they put us in ocean front room the sunrises were spectacular we were please to learn that sailing, kayaking, and snorkeling were part of the package we paid for the food was good not excellent one of the things that needs improvement was booking the restaurants that was part of the package we had to stand by the lobby up to an hour to be able to book dinner the man doing the seating at the stake house was extremely rude to a couple that was late for the seating five minutes the couple kept apologizing and the man made a big deal about it . the mandalay restaurant was good and friendly but I must warn you stay away from the picola italia bad food and we saw a small( COCKROACH) crawling on the desert table there is not enough bathrooms by the pool area there was a lot of people at the pool drinking but we notice hardly anybody walked all the way around the pool to the bathroom you do the math lots of liquids being consumed no one goes to the bathroom they did close the pool for a little while for maintenance but the day after we notice a very mysterious film of something floating over the pool . there is a second pool that its almost empty but no one can go swiming there unless you are staying at the up grated suites part of the hotel all and all we may not go back there unless we hear better reviews in the future i hope this helps people make an informed decision

Room Tip: ask for the ocean front rooms with the balcony with railing not the cement balcony cause you could n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cali4niatraveler12
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel was just perfect. Whole hotel was clean and well served. Food was fantastic with great choice and loads of it. Just watch that waistline. Jerk chicken at lunch time on the beech. Evening entertainment was good brilliant dancing. The beech was lovely and the sea was calm in the bay, which has a reef break. 2 large pools, an adult only pool if your in the deluxe rooms, which was useful if you don't want to be bothered by the entertainment team. The hotel was ideally located for most excursions. Dunns River, Dolphin Cove, Sky lift to the Bob Sleigh, Bob Marley museum. Other trips are only 2 hours away, such as Port Antonio and the Blue Lagoon and River rafting.
Rick's Cafe is about 3 hours to Negril, but worth a visit. Also, great cocktails with appleton rum and Red Stripe on tap.
We have now stayed 2 Riu hotels and decided to become members.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The food was DELICIOUS!!! Plentiful, and I loved the variety. Kudos to the chef(s). I think I gained 10lbs during my 1 week stay. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Kenisha from the spa gave me the best pedicure EVER, thanks girl. The entertainment crew was lovely and VERY talented. I loved the hassle free environment. No one was hassling us on the beach and that's a problem I've had elsewhere. Checking in and out was a breeze. I had an ocean view room and it was a lovely view that included a garden view with a gazebo. My only negative is that I wished wifi was free all the time but 90minutes free daily was better than nothing. Oh and I walked away from my table to get something and when I came back a cat was eating my lunch. But they need to eat too right? All in all, I've been recommending this hotel to everyone. I was truly impressed. I will be back. Loved the complimentary mini bar as well.

Room Tip: My room was standard and I loved it. Beautiful garden view and view of the ocean. Wished I had gott...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!