“PARADISE AWAITS!!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family and I spent 8 fun filled days in June at this well appointed resort. Although it is about 1.5 hrs from the airport it is well worth the logged miles. From the moment of our arrival we were greeted in a very caring manor and felt quite welcomed. We arrived a bit early to receive our room but our luggage was quickly attended to and lunch was offered during our wait. The room was very clean, the grounds were very well kept. There was always someone cleaning and taking care of things. All staff members were friendly and the resort offered something for everyone. We enjoyed the daily beach cookouts, free kayak, sail & paddle boat use and the nightly entertainment. Please do yourself a favor and wonder around get to know the place. We booked dinners at the specialty restaurants upon arrival which by the way are made available by the number of days you stay. We enjoyed the Tushima restaurant the most especially the desert. I read several reviews before selecting the property and would say it is hard to find something to complain about with this property. The food was plentiful with lot's of choices, the drinks were never ending, staff was great, the water was inviting. We felt very safe at all times. I would also recommend taking an excursion or two. Dunns' river falls was a great time!! So book this resort, pack your bags, relax and enjoy!! Ya Mon....

Room Tip: Suggest adult side if you are not traveling with children
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank fred m
Write a ReviewReviews (8,919)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have never done all-inclusive before but we were invited to Riu for a family wedding. To preface this : we travel a lot and and like to explore different cultures and different cuisines. This would not be somewhere we would ever pick as a couple but as a group for a wedding it was good. If you like to party - it may be for you. If you like to relax and explore the culture and food - look elsewhere. We stayed on the adult-only side of the resort but ultimately I don't think that makes much of a difference plus adults there are quite rowdy so do not assume it will be quieter there.

Pros :
Fantastic beach and warm water (although you may want to bring water shoes since some spots are a bit rough)

Good for accommodating a large group - ours was pretty rowdy and I think they didn't disburb the atmosphere since it was pretty "party-centric" most of the time (again, I think whether you think this is a pro or con depends on how you like to travel - if we were only traveling on our own, we would not have liked this)

Has a group dedicated to providing different entertainment each night. It wasn't always amazing but you could tell they work really hard and they were really excited which always made it fun to watch. One night we were there they had an ouside steel drum group perform which was incredible.

They restock your hotel mini bar each night with soda and water as well.

Excellent location to get to outside attractions such as Mystic Mountain and Dunns River Falls. Less than 10 minutes to each.

Cons :

The food. The buffet is large but most is just ok. It gets tiring pretty fast. Nothing is very authentic. There is a jerk chicken hut for lunch that is pretty good. There are also some "specialty" restaurants but they are just ok. Two of them are Asian and not very good but honestly I do not want to eat Asian food in Jamaica, I want to eat good Jamaican food there and this was not really an option. It was more of an attempt at them trying to serve American style cuisine in Jamaica which is not something i would want to travel for.

The pool - although it was a really nice pool it is very warm and full of people drinking all day long which ends up looking kind of gross by the end of the day.

Some issues with the room. While our room was nice, it had a strange musty smell the entire time. There are also no clocks to be found anywhere.

Side note :
This is a particular experience I had there as a Korean American. Lots of the staff are perfectly friendly but many completely ignore you if you are Asian and by the end of the stay there I was pretty annoyed. This mostly happened in the restaurants and they would never come to take our orders and we would watch them be very polite to all other tables. I was also argued with by a couple different staff members who kept telling me that I was Chinese even though I am not. They constantly asked me if I speak english, which is annoying since it is my first language and called me strange chinese sounding names all the time. I think it is more cultural because I ran into this ouside of the resort as well but it is something to think about.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevators and stairways. Ask for rooms that are not near nightly entert...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cavaboom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The resort all adult inclusive is not worth the price. There isn't any night life entertainment just for adults. The restaurants serve the same food everyday. The food is average. This resorts should only be for families, not adult couples. The checkout staff member never asked us how was our stay, or farewell..

Room Tip: Garden or ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James B
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife & I escaped the kids with a surprise visit to Ocho Rios, staying at the Riu for 6 nights. The whole trip from the Nashville airport back to was seamless. Customs was a breeze compared to Mexico, bus took 2 hours to get there, speedy check in, friendly desk staff. Our room was ground floor, technically beach front, easy to get to, we carried our own bags. The property stays immaculately clean inside & out. We did not eat at the restaurants mainly from reading bad reviews & we just like to chill informally on vacation, the buffet foods were good, especially breakfast & the jerk, the local fish was tasty too. Funny weed story.... we went on a catamaran tour & did some snorkeling, I was the first off the cat with a superman dive from the top, I'm adjusting my mask & out of nowhere, 400 meters from shore....rasta man appears from nowhere in the water next to me, selling pharmaceuticals! It was one of the craziest things I've ever been associated with. Anyhow, the snorkeling was a bit disappointing, I find that Yucatan waters are clearer with more vivid coral formations & marine life but I had a blast, got to pet sand sharks in the wild which was really cool. So in summation, we'll be back. Oh, be advised that there's an adult only side that is very peaceful & a family side that is pretty crazy. Every staff member I spoke with was extremely nice too. And our room was perfect, too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wingy13
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The reviews of this hotel are mostly extreme - love it or hate it. I went in telling my family to set really low expectations based upon the reviews. It was so much better than what I expected. Believe me, looking around at the hotel, you could see those that hated it and those that loved it. Those that hated it would have found something critical to say about a Ritz or a Four Seasons.

Yes. There were a few little issues, but nothing to impact the quality of the vacation or hotel. There was a light shade missing in the hotel, there was an ice machine that was out of order for the week, and yes, the gym quality was not there. Many of the machines were out of order for either part of the week or the whole week. The gym is the only area where they could really stand to improve. But, there is a nice shaded sidewalk 1/3 of a mile long from the front of the hotel to the security gate, so you can make do.

Tipping. We tipped. Many others did not. Those others got served the same drinks and the same food we did. Out of maybe 50 servers we came into contact with, I think two were gruff if they were not tipped. Others did not expect it, but seemed genuinely appreciative if a tip was given. Honestly, reading these reviews, I decided I was tipping. And, I figured the approximate cost of the resort portion of my vacation and calculated 15%. And, I tipped that throughout my stay.

The staff - I liked the staff - male and female. Not everyone gave a greeting until you did. But, every single one responded positively. Some were exceptional.

The food and drinks. Don't pay attention to the bit%hing on here about the "no-name" alcohol. Jamaicans are proud of their Appleton rum and they should be. It is good. It is everywhere in Jamaica. It is not RIU cheaping out. I bought some 12 yr to take home. And, if you think the drinks are weak, they will happily add a shot with "No Problem." Occasionally, they seemed light, but not often. And, we went expecting Chili's/Outback/PF Changs level food and were pleasantly surprised than more often than not, it substantially exceeded our expectations and never did not at least meet our expectations. While RIU cannot take credit for the quality, the fruit there was absolutely outstanding. They can take credit for keeping it stocked and replenished, which they did. And, every single buffet meal had at least some kind of Jamaican option - outside on the front patio and usually also in the two corner live cooking stations.

The rooms - The beds were firm, but very comfy. The pillows were pretty wimpy. But, they were very clean, with the A/C working well. We never were lacking in the stocked fridge dept and, though we thought the in room alcohol (rum, brandy, scotch and vodka) was cool, we really did not use it.

Bottom line - if you are a miserable person, you won't like it. If you go in, with reasonable expectations and can go with the flow, you will love it.

It will definitely be on our hit list again in the future.

A couple of quick thoughts - We had two rooms for our family - husband, wife, 19yr old daughter, 16 year old son. I could see the gold bands coming out when we were checking in. When the front desk clerk then asked if everyone was at least 18, I mumbled. Seriously. I mumbled. No. He wasn't 18, but we lucked out and got the deluxe side. Could not tell you how - wish I could. But, with the exception of the Japanese restaurant and another gourmet restaurant and the adult side pool, I could not see a difference. And, the one gourmet restaurant had the same exact menu as another gourmet restaurant that was open to the entire resort. So, while I was happy to be on the deluxe side, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. So, if you get the red bands, don't be upset. You'll still have a great time.

Room Tip: I don't think a room tip is going to affect the room you get. Seriously. They don't seem t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Falcarragh13
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed 7/21 through 7/26: we didn't have Hot Water for 2 Days. I notified the front desk by phone and in person and still no results. I had to demand a new room on the evening of the second night. The room they offered me was further and not the same room that we were currently in. Maintenance fixed by Day 3. The Front Desk Staff as well as the Concierge at the front for transportation was very rude and not helpful. I was appalled at such bad Customer Service that we received. Maybe I'm spoiled by southern hospitality in the U.S. In addition to not having hot water there was a cook in the kitchen that was messaging on her cellphone while preparing food. Food actually fell on her cellphone in her pocket, she proceeded to pull her cellphone out and pour the content on the food she was preparing. I spoke to the Manager, which he apologized and said she's from another kitchen. I explained to him my fear of food poisoning and sanitation issues. Also please beware of the Bob Marley Day Tour, the guide will take you to a local church at the end of the tour where you will actually have Church Service and asked to give an Offering. This happened without warning. I've stayed at other Riu's which were great. This by far hits the bottom of the list.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Valley G
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My point of view is of a 27 year old couple trip. Traveling just us two. (I have 800 photos of the trip if anyone has questions about the resort appearance, wedding area, rooms, pools etc)

We went here from Fri July 25 until Fri Aug 1. Great time to go since many couples do the same time frame. We booked a junior suite with jetblue airfare from ny for 1300 pp. However, later found out that some people got the same deal on groupon for 950.

Junior Suite:
This seemed like a basic room with a balcony. Comes equipped with watered down liquor and soda. No snacks and no room service for food! Very clean though! If your not coming with children.. Make sure you stay on the adult side. Less crowded, cleaner pool.. More fun. The two sides are seperated by restaurants and the beach is all the same strip but in the adults only side yiu can sunbathe topless if you choose. People in the adults only side wear gold wristbands while childrens side wear red wristbands. We never stayed much on the childrens side but the pool was huge and filled with a million kids having a lot of fun playing in the pool (if you have kids).

Pool:
The adults only pool was very nice. A swim up bar with great staff serving drinks.. No food by the pool though.. The pool closes around 630 ish and the pool bar around 6. Seems kind of early but we would make our reservations for dinner at 7.. So we would do the beach from 11-3, pool bar 3-6 and then be a little buzzed in time for dinner ;)

Beach:
The beach is gorgeous.. Not too long though. Goes for only about 1/4 of a mile. The built a small reef just past the swimming area and have snorkles if you like snorkling.. They have a bunch of water sports for free.. Kayak windsurfing..hobie cat. Etc
A MUST --> SCUBA caribe booze cruise to dunns river. Scuba caribe is riu's company that has all there equipment on the beach. They own the catamaran and it was a BLAST!! Cruise to dunns river.. Climb the falls.. Snorkle and drink and dance on the boat. 60 per person but heard some ppl talk them down to 55. The staff was super friendly!

Alcohol:
It is WATERED DOWN. The liquor too. You can take shots.. Shots and more shots and not be drunk. It is cheap liquor. They dont have any top shelf alcohol. They only have redstrip and redstripe light for beer. Most of the beer was warm so I would get it with ice. The pina coladas were super sugary so i stopped getting those after the first day. They made some drink with rum cream and banana called the dirty banana .. Not on the menu but it was awesome. Miami vice's were good. And some bartenders at the pool bar knew how to make you stronger shots if you tip them the first day you are there.

Food:
Food was better than a cruise. Great jerk chicken on the beach.. Decent buffet food. They do have shrimp and steak but not much lobster etc. they have 4 restaurants. You get one visit per week.
A MUST IF YOUR A COUPLE::
dinner on the beach.. AWESOME!!! Gigantic lobster tail!! So romantic. Will run you 150$ though. The food was much better at that dinner. You can buy a bottle of better wine or champagne. 750ml of moet was 85$ we didnt buy it but you could. I have photos of this if anyone wants to see..

Entertainment:
They do comedy shows with the audience around 8-830 which are hysterical!! Try to get a seat before it starts. The planned entertainment after was Ok. Im a ny snob though. The beach party they had was a BLAST. They have the guests do a dance off. Super funny!!
Margaritaville off the resort.. We went twice.. Monday for hotel night and wednesday for the beach party. We had a good time. They play mostly hiphop. It is like senor frogs enviroment if you have been there. They have wide range of liquor and beer. We paid 10$ admission and 10$ per person for a cab to get there. We went with three girls which were getting hit on all night by local men there. The cab ride there seemed pretty safe, the cab waited outside for us all night but i wouldnt go alone with a group of girls because you will get hawked down by men. Find some people in riu to go with in a group and stay together.

Service: i would say 70% of the staff at riu was friendly and 30% was rude. Ive seen this before at atlantis resort. To get them to bring us coffee in the morning seemed like we were bothering them. Mind you .. We were tipping veryyyyy generously. You will get some great workers which will make you feel better about the staff.

Dolphin Cove:
Great staff and awesome ultimate swim!! Well worth the expense!!

Atmosphere:
You get all age groups at this resort. I was nervous that it would be dull and boring for us but we met awesome young couples and groups at the pool bar, great place to mingle and meet people to hang out with. We didnt see many couple or people under 25 y/o and not too many older 65 and up. It was usually like 25-55 age range. Def a fun time though. A lot too do.

SUMMARY::
I would def. reccommend this resort... Make sure you go to poor bar 4-6pm, do catamaran booze cruise. See the comedy improve shows. Go to riu beach party.. Try margaritaville if thats your taste. Do the dinner on the beach if your a couple. Do all the water sports (not the jetskis- they are banned). Tip the staff early on the trip. Book the dinner reservations for 7. BRING A LOT OF CHANGE TO IP PEOPLE! I brought 250$ im 5's, 1's and some 10's.

Message me with any questions

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank Elizabeth24R
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!