“Great service by employee”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Houston, Texas
“Great service by employee”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Front Desk: Arrived at the front desk and waited at the deluxe line to be checked but ignored until We complained to supervisor Ann Marie who seems to be the only front desk personnel that can get anything done. When Refrigerator and TV in the room did not work, nobody could get them working until we complained to Sup. Ann Marie who got them working within 30 minutes of complaint, then she called back to make sure we were happy . She need to be made a manager. Then there is Mr. Richard at the front desk who cater only to female guest at his leisure.
Rooms: The room was carefully cleaned by Mrs. Clark everyday to our delight, we have to find a way to bring her to the USA to work for us. The adult area of all inclusive side of the hotel was great. Restaurants: eat your breakfast at the lady making the omelet is fantastic. The Japanese restaurant chef was very exotic precise.
Entertainment: The nightly entertainment and band were very entertaining, but will prefer they play till midnight….ended too early..we wanted more.
Beach: need more jerk Chicken on the beach……but the Chicken were delicious. You can get the same chicken for lunch at the Mamme restaurant for lunch but you will have to leave the beach area. The WIFI needs attention but it works when it counts. The staff made the hotel and many were up to the task. If you ever have any issue talk to the front desk better yet ask for Sup. Ann Marie she has a professional and American work ethic.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the adult section and your room face the pool area then you are assured you wil...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I travelled from the uk with thomson and stayed at the riu from 24th-31st.
This was my second stay at this hotel the first being 8yrs ago. I would say it's better than I remembered. The resort is beautiful from reception to the pool to the beach. Everywhere is picture perfect.
The room was dated decor wise but it was big and everything was working.
We had room 3503 with a partial sea view the balcony was huge and we had amazing views of both pool and the sea.
The beach is lovely plenty of sun loungers, white sand and clear water.
I found every member of staff I came into contact with always went above and beyond to ensure we were happy. I really can't understand how people can complain about the staff. I received TWO calls from reception ensuring everything was ok with our room and that we had settled in ok. Also we stayed during my birthday so I received a bag of coffee and a card (a nice little touch).
The food was delicious...if you're going to jamaica to eat chicken nuggets and then complain the cuisine isn't up to standard then more fool you! You are in jamaica, eat the Jamaican food!
We only tried the steakhouse purely because the lady taking bookings was free. The steak was cooked perfectly. If you are looking to have a romantic meal it wouldn't be for you as we were seated at 9pm just when the entertainment started right next to the steakhouse.
The entertainment staff are brilliant and put on some decent shows in the evening.
We went to the nightclub once, it's dark and loud. The music was varied and commercial.
I never found the drinks to be watered down. The cocktail menu is very limited and most of the drinks are very sweet. Just ask for whatever drink you would like even if it's not on the menu.
The resort shops are expensive, to buy gifts we went to the local market which was much cheaper.
Dunns river via catamaran is a must.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Nibbz
nj
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just got back from a 7 day vacation at RIU Ocho Rios. Traveled with wife and 9 year old twins and also was joined by another family with a 6 and 11 year old.

The pro's definitely out weighed the cons. The beach, the pool, and the grounds were gorgeous.
We read some of the earlier reviews and made sure we got a room close enough to the lobby with a ocean front view and a partial pool view. The proximately to the restaurants, pool, beach and everything else was perfect.

In terms of the food, the buffet lunches and dinner got pretty tiresome after the first couple of days so do what you can to book the ala cart restaurants. The steak place was partially ala cart with the exception of salads and desert which was buffet style. The Asian place was a joke, all buffet so don't waste your time. The gourmet was the best for adults but they couldn't offer any modifications to the menu to accommodate the kids.

My biggest con about the place was that the swim up pool closes at 6pm and that you are limited to only 3 ala cart reservations for the week.
Another slight con is that the resort is about a 2 hour drive from the airport. This was still ok because we were right by Dolphin Cove that the kids loved.

The staff for the most part were very warm and nice with an occasional up tight person here or there. We brought $100 worth of singles to tip and everything was irie mon.

All in all, the value was great for we got vs what we paid. It makes me question ever doing another Jersey Shore or Ocean City Maryland vacation again!

Room Tip: close to lobby with oceanfront and possible corner pool view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ramak23
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family and I spent 8 fun filled days in June at this well appointed resort. Although it is about 1.5 hrs from the airport it is well worth the logged miles. From the moment of our arrival we were greeted in a very caring manor and felt quite welcomed. We arrived a bit early to receive our room but our luggage was quickly attended to and lunch was offered during our wait. The room was very clean, the grounds were very well kept. There was always someone cleaning and taking care of things. All staff members were friendly and the resort offered something for everyone. We enjoyed the daily beach cookouts, free kayak, sail & paddle boat use and the nightly entertainment. Please do yourself a favor and wonder around get to know the place. We booked dinners at the specialty restaurants upon arrival which by the way are made available by the number of days you stay. We enjoyed the Tushima restaurant the most especially the desert. I read several reviews before selecting the property and would say it is hard to find something to complain about with this property. The food was plentiful with lot's of choices, the drinks were never ending, staff was great, the water was inviting. We felt very safe at all times. I would also recommend taking an excursion or two. Dunns' river falls was a great time!! So book this resort, pack your bags, relax and enjoy!! Ya Mon....

Room Tip: Suggest adult side if you are not traveling with children
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank fred m
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have never done all-inclusive before but we were invited to Riu for a family wedding. To preface this : we travel a lot and and like to explore different cultures and different cuisines. This would not be somewhere we would ever pick as a couple but as a group for a wedding it was good. If you like to party - it may be for you. If you like to relax and explore the culture and food - look elsewhere. We stayed on the adult-only side of the resort but ultimately I don't think that makes much of a difference plus adults there are quite rowdy so do not assume it will be quieter there.

Pros :
Fantastic beach and warm water (although you may want to bring water shoes since some spots are a bit rough)

Good for accommodating a large group - ours was pretty rowdy and I think they didn't disburb the atmosphere since it was pretty "party-centric" most of the time (again, I think whether you think this is a pro or con depends on how you like to travel - if we were only traveling on our own, we would not have liked this)

Has a group dedicated to providing different entertainment each night. It wasn't always amazing but you could tell they work really hard and they were really excited which always made it fun to watch. One night we were there they had an ouside steel drum group perform which was incredible.

They restock your hotel mini bar each night with soda and water as well.

Excellent location to get to outside attractions such as Mystic Mountain and Dunns River Falls. Less than 10 minutes to each.

Cons :

The food. The buffet is large but most is just ok. It gets tiring pretty fast. Nothing is very authentic. There is a jerk chicken hut for lunch that is pretty good. There are also some "specialty" restaurants but they are just ok. Two of them are Asian and not very good but honestly I do not want to eat Asian food in Jamaica, I want to eat good Jamaican food there and this was not really an option. It was more of an attempt at them trying to serve American style cuisine in Jamaica which is not something i would want to travel for.

The pool - although it was a really nice pool it is very warm and full of people drinking all day long which ends up looking kind of gross by the end of the day.

Some issues with the room. While our room was nice, it had a strange musty smell the entire time. There are also no clocks to be found anywhere.

Side note :
This is a particular experience I had there as a Korean American. Lots of the staff are perfectly friendly but many completely ignore you if you are Asian and by the end of the stay there I was pretty annoyed. This mostly happened in the restaurants and they would never come to take our orders and we would watch them be very polite to all other tables. I was also argued with by a couple different staff members who kept telling me that I was Chinese even though I am not. They constantly asked me if I speak english, which is annoying since it is my first language and called me strange chinese sounding names all the time. I think it is more cultural because I ran into this ouside of the resort as well but it is something to think about.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevators and stairways. Ask for rooms that are not near nightly entert...
1 Thank cavaboom
Winston, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The resort all adult inclusive is not worth the price. There isn't any night life entertainment just for adults. The restaurants serve the same food everyday. The food is average. This resorts should only be for families, not adult couples. The checkout staff member never asked us how was our stay, or farewell..

Room Tip: Garden or ocean view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James B
nashville
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife & I escaped the kids with a surprise visit to Ocho Rios, staying at the Riu for 6 nights. The whole trip from the Nashville airport back to was seamless. Customs was a breeze compared to Mexico, bus took 2 hours to get there, speedy check in, friendly desk staff. Our room was ground floor, technically beach front, easy to get to, we carried our own bags. The property stays immaculately clean inside & out. We did not eat at the restaurants mainly from reading bad reviews & we just like to chill informally on vacation, the buffet foods were good, especially breakfast & the jerk, the local fish was tasty too. Funny weed story.... we went on a catamaran tour & did some snorkeling, I was the first off the cat with a superman dive from the top, I'm adjusting my mask & out of nowhere, 400 meters from shore....rasta man appears from nowhere in the water next to me, selling pharmaceuticals! It was one of the craziest things I've ever been associated with. Anyhow, the snorkeling was a bit disappointing, I find that Yucatan waters are clearer with more vivid coral formations & marine life but I had a blast, got to pet sand sharks in the wild which was really cool. So in summation, we'll be back. Oh, be advised that there's an adult only side that is very peaceful & a family side that is pretty crazy. Every staff member I spoke with was extremely nice too. And our room was perfect, too.

3 Thank wingy13
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,397 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!