“Don't expect 5-star rating but a good experience for me”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I read all the reviews before going and thought about changing hotels but decided to stick with it. This is NOT a 5-star hotel..but it is decent. As many others have said, if you travel without kids..DEFINITELY go on the adult side!

Lucky for my best friend and I, we were upgrading to the adult side from the standard side which was a LIFESAVER! I was going to ask for an upgrade but the front desk automatically did when we got to the front since we had a long wait (her words! We actually only waited 10-15 minutes!).

We were on the 2nd floor of what I believe was the first building and it was a great room. Very clean. At first, we had no key and lock for the safe and one hotel front staff said they were out. I went down about an hour later and asked another person and got one that was a little hard to work but it did work and keep our things safe.

I had read about roaches in the hotel rooms but I didn't see any (however, another couple we met did say they had some in their room. But, that's because people bring food up to their rooms, DESPITE being told not to.). I did see the occasional dead beetle but what do you expect with such an open and airy hotel.

The housekeeping staff kept everything clean. People on here complain about the beds being hard but I like a firmer bad so they were perfect for me.

The food was ok for lunch and dinner, but very good for breakfast. We only ate at the buffet, despite having access to the sit-down restaurants. Our waitress all 3 nights are Roxanne and she was THE BEST!! Loved having her. We actually didn't make reservations at the sit-down restaurants because we wanted to keep her as our waitress.

The entertainment staff was warm, friendly and talented dancers. Although not Broadway-talented, they do work hard and look like they are having fun. Although, at times the entertainment was a little risqué for kids.

The beach is beautiful! Although I had access to both the adult and family sides of the beach, the family side had the better beach and all the entertainment on the beach. Also, the Jerk Hut was on the family side so we spent our "beach day" on the adult side. Also, all of the water sports are on that side too.

There were some issues with the Wi-Fi on the adult side. Not as easy to get on as expected but I was able to use it as often as I wanted.

All in all, not a bad deal but you gotta remember, this is not a 5-star hotel so don't expect 5-star qualities. Also, adult side only for those without kids!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if possible! Adult only side!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lovelymo79
Write a ReviewReviews (8,919)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Riu definitely delivered on its brochure promises. The rooms, common areas and grounds are discreetly luxurious, cheerful and well maintained. The food was very good quality and over-generous. We didn`t stay in the deluxe wing, but didn`t feel we were missing out except that there were fewer dining options available to us. The staff were fantastic - pleasant and efficient. The beach was small but very beautiful and not too crowded.

Minor complaints: (1) The wifi connection was down most of our stay. (2)They need to skim and clean the pool more frequently. The water was a bit cloudy and there were corners where scum, sand and drink straws always collected. However, that didn`t keep us from enjoying it and we didn`t come home with any infections. (3) We felt we got a lot for our money with the all-inclusive package booked through Sunwing, but on top of the pre-paid things, every little extra was a huge gouge. The giftshop asked for 4 times the face value of postage stamps. The ATM charged me $6 for a withdrawal. The taxi stand posts rates that are about 40% higher than the going rate quoted by the local taxi company, JUTA. Local calls from your room cost $1. We got `golden cage` syndrome staying here. It is sumptuously comfy, but you are completely cut off from the rest of the country. It takes some effort and research, or local contacts to get out and about without spending a fortune.

We did two day-trips, the Dunn`s Falls/Bamboo Beach Club/tubing one and the Blue Mountain cycling/bus tour. I can recommend both, even at the inflated price. We took a taxi to see the nearby Maima Seville, which is interesting. The city of Ocho Rios doesn`t have much to offer in the way of attractions, but at least you can get a glimpse of real-life Jamaica.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Phiby
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

First I want to thank trip advisor. I should have listened when the reviews written stated don't go to club hotel Riu Ocho Rios!

Day 1- check in was abominable. We had a party of 6, age 6-87 years. They couldn't find the reservations so I tried to email our reservation to the front desk as proof however the wifi which is only free in the lobby for 90 consecutive minutes wasn't working. The person behind the desk tried his best and finally got the internet to work. We waited, had several alcoholic beverages to calm us down while we waited. An additional 30 minutes later he was able to find the reservation, it was under the 6 year olds name! They upgraded us to a suite which was very nice, our second room was suppose to be a junior suite but was a room. There is no junior suites! The suite was nice and airy. The room was musty, we opened the door to air it out.

Day 2-
I made the mistake of purchasing wifi in my room. The cost was $30 US. It wouldn't have been bad if it worked well. Not to mention my cell service was in/out. I attempted to use my data plan at times, that was a hit or miss.
The food is really
good at the buffet. However it's the same over and over. After several days we were looking for something different.
We made reservations for the 'gourmet' restaurants. Sir Richards the appetizers/ deserts were buffet style. Main course was brought to the table.

FYI- if you do decide to stay here you can reserve these ' gourmet' restaurants several days in advance.
The alcohol was watered down. The wine is from a box on the family side, from a bottle on the adult side.
I guess you get what you pay for.
It's unfortunate that if you travel with children and want the upgrades and are willing to pay the additional cost you can't, your penalized.

We were on the 5th floor in 2nd building (2504/2505) they were ocean front rooms. Don't expect key cards! You get bulky keys!
I was told someone had gotten stuck on the elevator briefly.
There were so many other things that happened to us that causes me not to recommend this hotel to anyone, but we made the best if it.

The staff was extremely nice. The gardeners a climbed the trees to pick coconuts for us. They did their best to keep the grounds clean however it was
the guests that littered.

If you can afford it stay somewhere else !

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Alethia64
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is over crowded and over priced and over rated. My husband and I stayed with our son and we were given an old room with two full sized beds pushed together. Complained and was told that was the best they could do. We stayed on the fourth floor and there was one hot elevator servicing the entire building. Most of the good reviews are from the people who stayed on the deluxe side which is the new and improved side. I had family who stayed on that side and there was a huge difference which was very annoying since they only paid a few more dollars than we did!!!! Also the adult pool is on the deluxe side but its only for the "deluxe" guests. The website does not tell you the adult pool is only for deluxe guests - false advertisement. The other pool was crowded and nasty. I would give the deluxe side 3 stars and the family side 1 star. You should not be penalized because you have children. We didn't even have wifi on the fanily side. The family side needs major renovations or a price reduction because the prices are not much lower than the deluxe side. I felt ripped off!! The food was good and the beach was good but crowded. Anyway, I will not be returning........

• Stayed: August 2014
10  Thank StaceyLaurelton_NY
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

To sum things up:

Positive:
- Good variety of meal options
- Great clean beach!!

Negatives:
- front desk customer service is horrible
- elevators were old, shaky and hot
- rooms were outdated with old drapes and comforters. Tv was old (big back not flat screen)
- alcohol dispenser did not work
- didn't receive face towels...had minimal amneties that I would expect..lotion..shampoo
- saw a huge roach in St.Ann area for breakfast buffet. The server came around from back and killed it then kicked it out.
Makes you wonder how many more there are in the kitchen
- Food was just okay. Jamaica ackee and saltfish with fried dumplings were so bland which it shouldn't have been
- ZERO fun activities for kids...a small area to paint or watch tv or a small circle the size of a tub does not count

Wouldn't go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank vacationer1234565
Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you are planning on coming to this hotel please make sure when you check in that you
"" Request""" a safe key lock. While checking in we were never given that option by the front desk that we needed a safe key and unfortunatly on the second day of our stay Our CELL PHONE went missing from our own hotel room which was a ocean view room on the 5th floor.

We spoke with Laura the assistant manager first and her response was that maybe the wind blew open our door therefor someone could of snuck into our room. Then we spoke with Miguel another manager but nothing came about it, there attitude was that this happens all the time and it is not their responsibility. We received a letter signed by Carlington Price after they searched our room signed by him to come and see him but as soon we we went down to speak with him they said he was sick with the chicken pox...... it just made no sense very frustrating :(

I just don't want this happening to anyone else who plans on going there, I had realized on night one that i had no safe key and planned on getting it the next day but by the time i came back just like that!!! the phone was gone, very disappointing.

We were promised at the resort that we would be compensated but when i came home back to Canada i had received an email by "Sandra Nadine Rossner" basically saying there was nothing they could do cause there was no proof that any one stole it.

Just be careful with your belongings, a couple people i met on this resort had items stolen it is very common there and for some reason the management did not seem to care at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Spent 3 nights at this resort, and check in day had me very disgruntled. I checked in at 3 pm, and was not given a room until 8 pm that night. I did have access to all the amenities of the property during that 5 hour wait. BUT it was disheartening to know that I had no access to my luggage, and a place to change in that long time.When I got my room, I was in awe. It was simply awesome.
The night that they offered Jamaican food was amazing. They offered a wide variety of Jamaican food, that was simply delectable. The other evenings that they did not have have a Jamaican theme, the food was not as good! It was almost bland. The alcohol beverages at the swim up bar was substandard to me, UNTIL, my sister in law (who is Jamaican) had a chat with the bartender. From then on, I had phenomenal drinks.
Downside for me...There were way too many people. I prefer a small intimate property, and will not return for that reason.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!