“Great Holiday. Riu hotels are amazing but Jamaica is very commercialised.”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios for 2 weeks with my family and we had a great holiday.

Pros :)
●Beautiful and central location. Easy access to most tourist attractions.
●Rooms were spacious and well stocked (we stayed on the deluxe wing side)
●Wide range of tasty alcoholic and non - alcoholic drinks. The strawberry daiquiri and caipirinha was my favourite.
●Wide selection of food to eat.(some will complain it's repetitive but there is always something for everyone and you always have the choice of dining in the alternative in house restaurants)
●Jerk Chicken Hut on the beach is amazing. Get the Jerk sauce with your food and you will feel " Hot Hot Hot"
●Spa treatments are amazing (I had a full body exfoliation plus a massage)
*Additional costs

Cons :
●if you pay extra to stay in the deluxe wing you are given a different colour wristband. However, we found that people from the other side of the hotel were always on our side of
the hotel using our facilities.
●As Jamaica is very commercialised the excursions are very expensive.

I am planning on going back to Jamaica as my other half has never been and if so, we will stay in Montego Bay or Negril.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Serena F

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Arrived at the Club Riu on the 1st of August 2014 for 2-week, my fist impression of the hotel as we drove down this long drive way was breath taking, the hotel is huge, the grounds are beautiful and well kept.
our checking was relatively straightforward but slow (everyone is so slow you could fall asleep standing up.)
we were given a room next to the lifts which kept us up all night, we then asked to be moved, we were told that we had to be out of the room for 10am the following morning, but the other room would not be available for us to move into until 3pm, we were going backwards and forwards with them about his, in the end we ended up moving our stuff to our friends room until ours became available later that afternoon.
The food was awful, most of it was baptised in grease, basically it was a lot of nothing, some of the chefs/ staff serving the food was unbelievably rude, I asked one member of staff if they had anymore of a dish, she pointed over to another counter and said its "over there" she did not look at me once, they openly criticised the guest - saying I don't know who they think they are coming here and expecting...... my question is are they doing us a favour? customers are important guys!!
I also asked for just prawns as I as I do not like clams - the guy serving put a clam on my plate I asked if could remove it, he just ignored me, only after asking about 3-times he gave me a filthy look and took it off the plate. some of these people must be the worst front line workers I have ever encountered - they do not do this hotel any justice, they need to be trained or supervised, for the amount of money it cost to stay at this hotel we deserve better service/food.
Most of the front desk staff was reasonably friendly especially William he was very helpful
The girl on the front desk changing the currencies did not smile once or say please or thanks, she looked as if she had swallowed a mouth full of wasp, my goodness who are their supervisors, you get the impression that they do not want you there or they don't want to be there themselves. (shocking) do they not have feed back questionnaires are the hotel?

"ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios" your staff are in urgent need of training

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Elessia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was looking for a romantic all-inclusive vacation and RIU definitely delivered. The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 1 1/2 hrs but once you arrive the grounds here are absolutely stunning. There are 2 pools in the resort and both provide something different. Around every corner of this horse shoe shape resort there is a postcard image. I have countless photos as a reminder. The food was good at all the restaurants, but keep in mind that you won't find any 5 star restaurants at all-inclusive's so it's important keep an open mind. All staff members are very polite and friendly. Nightly entertainment was very good. Overall the room was very clean and well maintained with pool and ocean views. One issue that must be addressed is nightly security. One night my fiance woke me up complaining that she could see lights outside our balcony come to find out the next morning that the room next door to us had been broken into. I personally never had any issues with security during my stay and would definitely return and recommend RIU to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank icemike6969
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I read all the reviews before going and thought about changing hotels but decided to stick with it. This is NOT a 5-star hotel..but it is decent. As many others have said, if you travel without kids..DEFINITELY go on the adult side!

Lucky for my best friend and I, we were upgrading to the adult side from the standard side which was a LIFESAVER! I was going to ask for an upgrade but the front desk automatically did when we got to the front since we had a long wait (her words! We actually only waited 10-15 minutes!).

We were on the 2nd floor of what I believe was the first building and it was a great room. Very clean. At first, we had no key and lock for the safe and one hotel front staff said they were out. I went down about an hour later and asked another person and got one that was a little hard to work but it did work and keep our things safe.

I had read about roaches in the hotel rooms but I didn't see any (however, another couple we met did say they had some in their room. But, that's because people bring food up to their rooms, DESPITE being told not to.). I did see the occasional dead beetle but what do you expect with such an open and airy hotel.

The housekeeping staff kept everything clean. People on here complain about the beds being hard but I like a firmer bad so they were perfect for me.

The food was ok for lunch and dinner, but very good for breakfast. We only ate at the buffet, despite having access to the sit-down restaurants. Our waitress all 3 nights are Roxanne and she was THE BEST!! Loved having her. We actually didn't make reservations at the sit-down restaurants because we wanted to keep her as our waitress.

The entertainment staff was warm, friendly and talented dancers. Although not Broadway-talented, they do work hard and look like they are having fun. Although, at times the entertainment was a little risqué for kids.

The beach is beautiful! Although I had access to both the adult and family sides of the beach, the family side had the better beach and all the entertainment on the beach. Also, the Jerk Hut was on the family side so we spent our "beach day" on the adult side. Also, all of the water sports are on that side too.

There were some issues with the Wi-Fi on the adult side. Not as easy to get on as expected but I was able to use it as often as I wanted.

All in all, not a bad deal but you gotta remember, this is not a 5-star hotel so don't expect 5-star qualities. Also, adult side only for those without kids!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if possible! Adult only side!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lovelymo79
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Riu definitely delivered on its brochure promises. The rooms, common areas and grounds are discreetly luxurious, cheerful and well maintained. The food was very good quality and over-generous. We didn`t stay in the deluxe wing, but didn`t feel we were missing out except that there were fewer dining options available to us. The staff were fantastic - pleasant and efficient. The beach was small but very beautiful and not too crowded.

Minor complaints: (1) The wifi connection was down most of our stay. (2)They need to skim and clean the pool more frequently. The water was a bit cloudy and there were corners where scum, sand and drink straws always collected. However, that didn`t keep us from enjoying it and we didn`t come home with any infections. (3) We felt we got a lot for our money with the all-inclusive package booked through Sunwing, but on top of the pre-paid things, every little extra was a huge gouge. The giftshop asked for 4 times the face value of postage stamps. The ATM charged me $6 for a withdrawal. The taxi stand posts rates that are about 40% higher than the going rate quoted by the local taxi company, JUTA. Local calls from your room cost $1. We got `golden cage` syndrome staying here. It is sumptuously comfy, but you are completely cut off from the rest of the country. It takes some effort and research, or local contacts to get out and about without spending a fortune.

We did two day-trips, the Dunn`s Falls/Bamboo Beach Club/tubing one and the Blue Mountain cycling/bus tour. I can recommend both, even at the inflated price. We took a taxi to see the nearby Maima Seville, which is interesting. The city of Ocho Rios doesn`t have much to offer in the way of attractions, but at least you can get a glimpse of real-life Jamaica.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Phiby
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

First I want to thank trip advisor. I should have listened when the reviews written stated don't go to club hotel Riu Ocho Rios!

Day 1- check in was abominable. We had a party of 6, age 6-87 years. They couldn't find the reservations so I tried to email our reservation to the front desk as proof however the wifi which is only free in the lobby for 90 consecutive minutes wasn't working. The person behind the desk tried his best and finally got the internet to work. We waited, had several alcoholic beverages to calm us down while we waited. An additional 30 minutes later he was able to find the reservation, it was under the 6 year olds name! They upgraded us to a suite which was very nice, our second room was suppose to be a junior suite but was a room. There is no junior suites! The suite was nice and airy. The room was musty, we opened the door to air it out.

Day 2-
I made the mistake of purchasing wifi in my room. The cost was $30 US. It wouldn't have been bad if it worked well. Not to mention my cell service was in/out. I attempted to use my data plan at times, that was a hit or miss.
The food is really
good at the buffet. However it's the same over and over. After several days we were looking for something different.
We made reservations for the 'gourmet' restaurants. Sir Richards the appetizers/ deserts were buffet style. Main course was brought to the table.

FYI- if you do decide to stay here you can reserve these ' gourmet' restaurants several days in advance.
The alcohol was watered down. The wine is from a box on the family side, from a bottle on the adult side.
I guess you get what you pay for.
It's unfortunate that if you travel with children and want the upgrades and are willing to pay the additional cost you can't, your penalized.

We were on the 5th floor in 2nd building (2504/2505) they were ocean front rooms. Don't expect key cards! You get bulky keys!
I was told someone had gotten stuck on the elevator briefly.
There were so many other things that happened to us that causes me not to recommend this hotel to anyone, but we made the best if it.

The staff was extremely nice. The gardeners a climbed the trees to pick coconuts for us. They did their best to keep the grounds clean however it was
the guests that littered.

If you can afford it stay somewhere else !

5  Thank Alethia64
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is over crowded and over priced and over rated. My husband and I stayed with our son and we were given an old room with two full sized beds pushed together. Complained and was told that was the best they could do. We stayed on the fourth floor and there was one hot elevator servicing the entire building. Most of the good reviews are from the people who stayed on the deluxe side which is the new and improved side. I had family who stayed on that side and there was a huge difference which was very annoying since they only paid a few more dollars than we did!!!! Also the adult pool is on the deluxe side but its only for the "deluxe" guests. The website does not tell you the adult pool is only for deluxe guests - false advertisement. The other pool was crowded and nasty. I would give the deluxe side 3 stars and the family side 1 star. You should not be penalized because you have children. We didn't even have wifi on the fanily side. The family side needs major renovations or a price reduction because the prices are not much lower than the deluxe side. I felt ripped off!! The food was good and the beach was good but crowded. Anyway, I will not be returning........

10  Thank StaceyLaurelton_NY
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!