“Amazing time! Cant wait to go back!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My bestfriend and I returned from RIU 2 nights ago and i cant put it into words of what a great time we had. We are in our early 20s and wanted a nice place to hang out, relax and enjoy our selves. What a blast. I have read many reviews here prior to making my decision on what hotel to stay in and im SOOO glad we picked this one!

We flew Air Jamaica to Montego Bay (JM 010). I have heard some good and bad about this air line, but overall the flight there and back was good, not too much turbulence. The crew members on the flight there were much more nicer and the service was better than on the way back (JM 011). Once arrived at the airport, you have that 1hour and half ride (depending on the traffic and the drop off stops), but the ride is SOOOOOO worth it!

Once we arrived at the hotel, we drove down with "oooohs and ahhhhs, and wows". We were greeted and given some punch. Once we checked in, we went to our rooms. If you need help carrying your bags up there, ask someone! We were soo tired and we had to roll our own bags to almost the other end of the hotel.

The Hotel - the property is hugee!!! there is a standard room section and deluxe. There is a pool at each section- their main pool is bigger and louder and there are more chairs. They also have activities in the main pool. It is also much closer to restaurants in case you get hungry. There is also more shade by this pool. It is closer to the Jerk Hut and Water sport rentals. There is a table by the pool that gives out info about scuba/snorkeling ect. (Tell King David, his Queen Nadia sends her love).

The second pool is decent size, its smaller, quieter and usually there are more younger children. I noticed that the seats by this pool were "reserved" very fast by people leaving their towel/stuff on it. Both pools have swim-up bars & umbrellas. Hold on to your towel once you get it, and when returning it get a new one instead in case you want to go to the beach/pool early and they are still closed/out of towels (waiting from laundry).

The Beach is nice and big, plenty of chairs and shade. The water is more shallow near the deluxe side. Not too much seaweed. Most of the beach activities are by the main pool side. There is also a bar at the beach. You will see people trying to sell you stuff; they are friendly, if they say hi dont worry they wont bite you, and with a simple no thanks will leave you alone. If you are going Jetski, be aware that those people are NOT from the hotel, so you will be going at your own risk. We personally ended up not going, but some people did. You can bargain with them for prices.

There is also a nice size tennis/basketball court, you can rent the rackets at the front desk. They have a nice size gym and a great Spa with very good prices!! We got a massage there, it was very relaxing!

The Rooms - at first we got a standard room with the pond view and the other side of the building when we booked ocean view. (This happens because the hotel is overbooked). The rooms are very clean-beds were not too bad as some people said they were hard-clean bathroom, however i didn't like the water pressure in our room, it was very low! We moved to one of the Deluxe rooms the next day with the most wonderful ocean view. This room was a little bigger, it had a mini living room area and a jacuzzi bathtub-which was amazinggg. Both rooms have a stocked fridge and a mini bar; TV with a few chnls.

Housekeeping - The staff is very nice and friendly, if you need anything just ask them. We used housekeeping every other day, just didn't have the need to clean the room every day. They work very hard, so do leave a tip :)

Food - Everyone has their own opinions about the food here, some say it was bad and other people love it. The buffet food was decent- for breakfast you have a full salad bar, then there is hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, toast ect.), there is also a person making omelets (you can pick what you want in it and it was really good). They also have a fruit table, bread and pastries, juices and fresh fruit smoothies. For Dinner, there is different variety of food, we only ate twice there - salad bar and hot food - it was okay. We preferred restaurant food.

During Lunch you have the Jerk Hut at the beach which has grilled chicken/sausage/steak with rice & beans and yummy sauce! IT IS SOOOO GOOOD!! The line can get big soo once its 12 be ready :) We had lunch at the Plantation/Mammee Bay and the Pizzeria place- all of them are buffet style and some have different food. All contain salad bars, some have more seafood others more meat. All of the places are good, I'd have to agree it was a little repetitive, but some places had things that others didnt.

Restaurants - Yes it is true that you have to wake up early to get on line to book a reservation, but! if you dont care about what time you have dinner you can come at 9-11 and you may get a late sitting which is about 9pm-9:15. You can't book ahead of time (at least not that i know of, unless you bribe them?) We preferred to eat dinner early 6:30ish and were able to get great seats for the show after. (They do get filled up quick, especially the good seats) People complain about having to wake up early to make reservations - but who wants to sleep on vacation anyways! the only down side to it is that you cant book it in advance and have to stand on line every day.

Mammee Bay (Steak house) - the food was okay, nothing fancy. The onion soup i had wasnt that good, the salads are better. I ordered the Mixed Grill and my friend got Shrimp Skewers. The portions were small (which was okay by us, but i did read reviews where people complained). Mixed Grill had a little of everything (shrimp/steak/sausage/chicken), while my friend received two skewers of about 3 shrimps on each. Parts of steak were hard to chew.

Tushimi? (Japanese-Deluxe only) - the food was really good as well as the service. For starters you get a small plate of sushi (its not like the sushi you may eat at home, it's all cooked fish and nothing fancy, but it tasted good). Then you pick between tempura, soup and something else; I tried the tempura it was really good, the soup is seafood and a little spicey but also good. For main course i had the beef which was also very very good, my friend ordered the salmon which was delicious! Dessert was the best :) (forgot the name but the banana one and tempura icecream)

Mandalay Bay (Asian) - this restaurant is buffet style (so you get your own food and how much you want), great variety of food, salad, some sushi, dessert. (they had the sushi and soup that they serve at the Japanese restaurant). Tried a little of everything (rice, chicken, fried shrimp) everything was very good. One of our favorites. They also had lychees! which is my favorite!

Sir Richard (Gourmet-Deluxe) - 4 course meal and the portions are also very small and they take forever to bring out your food (it might be broken up to certain times or something). The shrimp bisque they had was probably their smallest portion (there was almost nothing in the cup!) Main Entrées were really good! I had the beef (med/well done) it was was delicious; my friend had fish, said it was a little bit dry but good. They have a decent selection for dessert as well.

Bars - There are 6? bars there, one being open 24hours (sports bar - also had games/casino/pool table/internet). Every bartender has their own special drinks, unless you only stick to what you like. They all make good drinks, but of course we had two favorite bartenders that we would only go to for our drinks (if they worked). Our favorite special was "Dirty Water" made by Texroy (tell him his Dirty Water girls say helloo), and Macain he makes very good drinks (we tried a lot of his creamy drinks and Dream Girl was one of my favs). Bob Marleys, Miami Vice, Daiquiris were popular. Big variety on the menu but ask what specials they can make!

Entertainment - The Entertainment crew was probably some of the nicest people we've met. They put on AMAZING shows! and did activities throughout the day at the beach/pool. Every night there was a different themed show. They also engaged the audience a lot in their shows or preshows (these were really fun to watch). Before preshow, they dance with the kids on stage. Preshow usually was the band playing as they invited people to dance. My favorite show was the Michael Jackson show! its a must see and come early for seats! The dancers a lone are a must see! (Ladies hold on to ur seats ;) Give Andre a bigggg hug!

At night they have Disco at PACHAS. If you want to dance but dont want to leave the resort. Some days its crowded and others its dead (mostly because people leave for MargaritaVille). The music is pretty good.

Went to MargaritaVille one night by shuttle from the hotel that drops you off and picks you up (went with Junior). It was free to get in (on some days). There are a lot of tourists mixed with locals. If they come on to you, they are not pushy, if you say no they will leave you alone. The music is pretty good. Don't lose your friends, I would suggest staying together or at least know where they will be.

Went to Dunns River Fall's with Cool Runnings tour on the boat! (We booked it with our return voucher travel agent - June) It was a BLAST!!!! First they take you snorkeling (i didnt go so i cant comment how that was), then to the falls. You can rent water shoes on the boat for 5$ if you are going to climb the falls. The climb is not for everyone (if you have bad feet especially). There were some parts hard to climb and it was slippery. You had to hold hands, as you go up...please help others! as you go further up. Dont take anything with you it will get WET or you will lose it. You can bring a water camera (can buy on the boat for 25$). On the way back thats where it gets really fun!!!!! Id suggest leaving your stuff on the inside because if you are in the front of the boat you will get realllly wet!!!!! They give you rum punch and you dance and party :D Worth the price.

The overall experience was amazing. I didn't want to leave and i can't wait to go back!! We only stayed for a week and it felt too short, but it was still a lot a lot of fun.

<3 N & R

Now for my little rant on bad reviews :
For 3 1/2-4 star hotel the service you get is great. I read here many people complaining for not being served right-not getting your juice brought to you-really? Its a buffet, you serve yourself, they don't have to bring you everything. They work very hard, and many people complaining sound like they don't even appreciate it. Its not the staffs fault that there are some pigs that drop their cig buds in the sand or other garbage- the staff cleans all they can and just like every where else they cant pick up every single piece of trash in the sand!
I cant help but agree with people who are left confused wondering how those that complain had such a bad time when others have great time. I guess some people have higher expectations for all-inclusive vacations. For the price you pay to stay here, it is DEFINITELY worth your money!

<3 One Happy Vacationer

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
10  Thank xloooneyx
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Reviewed 30 May 2009

I had read all of the reviews before traveling to this resort. I must say, most of them experienced all of the negatives that we experienced. If you are looking to enjoy good food, you should look elsewhere. We were not able to find good food choices at either breakfast, lunch or dinner. The food is overcooked and dry and just old. They do not make any effort to make their food preparations look or taste desirable. There were also flies at the desserts areas.
The resort is a beautiful place. But it was not kept and cleaned as it should have been. When you were ready to get towels for the beach or pool they were usually out. Housekeeping was laxed in service. They may not get to your room until 3:00 or 4:00 p.m.
This resort was not about service to its clientele. We will not every return or recommend to anyone. I have stay at Riu Cancun and the service and food preparations was completely different.

3  Thank KateDallas
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I have just returned from the Rui in Ocho Rios Jamaica and would like to add my review as quite a few reviews that I read on Trip Advisor before going myself did get me a bit worried !
An hour and twenty minutes coach ride from Montego Bay Airport was worth the time, it gave us a chance to have a look at some of the countryside on the way. The Hotel rep for Thomson holidays, Pauline has been in the business for 20 years and was the best rep we have ever had on any holiday.
On arrival we received a welcome drink and our cases taken to our rooms for us. We upgraded to a deluxe room which had a hydro massage bath tub, our own optics with Vodka, Brandy, Jamaican Rum and Gin. In the fridge which was filled every two days were two large bottles of water, 6 beers, diet and normal coke, orange, sprite, tonic water etc., (if you need more water, just ask over one of the bars and they will give you a large bottle).
The beds I have noticed on lots of other review were criticised for being 'hard' however my Husband our friends and myself all said it was the most comfortable bed we have slept in.
Housekeeping was to a really good standard.
There are three pools, one which is the 'action' pool with swim up bar and two quieter ones, infinity and swim up bar which are both situated by the deluxe rooms.
The beach has so many sunbeds, there is never going to be the chance of not being able to find a sun bed. The sand is beautiful and the water clear and warm.
If you are taking children it is safter to use the beach by the two quieter pools as it is shallower there.
The buffet restaurant had so much choice, you would have to be really very fussy not to find something that you liked.
The speciality restaurants are also very good however we did find them very small portioned in Sir Richards and the Mamma Bay steak house. (our rep advised us to ask for two pieces of steak or two starters etc and this really isnt a problem).
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the entertainment usually has a good bit between 9pm and 11pm and an earlier kids club slot but between the kids slot and 9pm it can be very poor and boring. However overall they do try really hard.
There are plenty of bars and you never have to wait long. Tipping is gratefully received however you will not receive preferential treatment at the bars, dining tables or room service by tipping.
The only fault with this hotel is the booking system for the speciality restaurants, guests start forming a queue to book from 7am and the queue gets really long until at about 8am two members of staff sit at a table and start to take bookings. My advice would be, if you are not worried at what sitting you want then wait until the queue has died down approx 8.30am and then ask what is left. On most days we found 9pm sittings at all of the restaurants were still available.
If you are going diving, (my husband dives and booked 8 dives prior to our stay over the internet and received a discount for doing this) his recommendation would be to wait until you get there as the dive boat was only running on one engine and they wouldnt go out to the wreck dive site. (all was advertised upon booking) when he questioned it, they advised that it costs money to repair the boat and he found out that it had been like this for some months. Dives also cost money and you do not want to pay and not get what you expect or paid for.
The corals are bleached and damaged, the Scuba caribe (dive school) staff were seen by us standing on the coral and picking them up. The deeper dives are done in the morning and the afternoons are for learners. Their teaching skills are not that good and my husband witnessed newly passed people making bad mistakes and not being corrected.
On a better note, he did get to see a really large turtle on his last dive.
The Riu chain of hotels are of excellent quality and I really struggle to find fault with it. They have a craft market come into the hotel a couple of times a week in the evenings so dont forget to haggle.
Trips out, we did the Dunns River fall - excellent fun but harder than expected.
Blue Mountain bike ride (all downhill so dont worry, just enjoy) and best of all beach horse riding. There are experienced rides if you want them but the standard beach ride was perfect for all levels. Our friends had never been on horseback before and you walk all the way to the beach through the mangroves etc., and receive a guided tour on the way, when you get to the beach you canter in the water, it is done in such deep water that it actually comes up to the saddle, so if you fall off no worries (as the Jamaicans would say) as you are in water.
Would I go again........Definately, it was a dream come true.
I hope this review is helpful and I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
15  Thank jajodie
Reviewed 28 May 2009

This was our 3rd visit to the Riu Ocho Rios and unfortunately, we thought standards at the hotel had fallen dramatically in the last 2 years.

We first stayed here in 2007 and had a wonderful holiday. We booked again for May 2008 and again had a good holiday but noticed things had changed, slightly for the worse. However, this most recent trip has completely put us off staying at the hotel ever again.

Firstly, the resort transfers with Thomson are no longer an issue. Originally it used to be getting on for 2hrs but now it’s a Thomson Premier Hotel, you seem to get either a non-stop coach or only one other drop-off. We were lucky to get non-stop although the timing of our flight arrival from Birmingham UK was so late that by the time the coach left Montego Bay Airport it was already dark. We arrived at the hotel in fairly good time and had the usual table with room keys set-up in the lobby so as not to delay everyone checking in and avoiding the need to queue individually at the reception desk.

This time we opted for a Deluxe room which turned out to be in Block 1 (I think this may be the oldest block) of the hotel. Our only alternative when booking was what Thomson describe as "Limited Sea View" which in reality is worse than a run of the mill standard room. Knowing the hotel quite well now, we are aware that standard rooms all have sea views anyway, so paying extra for a "Limited Sea View" is a false economy as you have to crane you neck over the balcony to see anything of the beach and ocean. We did pay slightly more for the Deluxe room, was clean, spacious and now have flat screen TV’s and the obligatory sofa. As with most our previous stay in Block 1, you always find an unavoidable musty smell, which at first we put down to the atmosphere etc, however on our second stay in Block 3, we noticed this wasn't present in that wing. If you get the choice, book a standard room and hope for Block 3 to avoid this musty smell. Believe me, it lingers and requires you to wash your clothes several times when you get to remove the smell!

The housekeeping this year seemed intermittent. The first couple of days we couldn't fault it and had lovely creations made from towels left on the bed each morning. We left a tip for the room maid each morning as we would always do. After a few days, we must have had a change of maid as things became a little erratic. Cleaning the room became later each day, and due to the bad weather, if you wanted to return from the beach early, we often found the room had not been cleaned. When it was cleaned, we were often missing basic items like bath mat's and hand towels which were delivered either later that evening or more often than not, they weren't delivered at all!

Days on the beach at the Riu are always nice, or so we thought! This year, the beach seemed incredibly littered with cigarette ends, and even worse than that, we even saw a used condom lying next to a sun bed on the beach! I'm only thankful that this wasn't discovered by my 7 year old nephew who we took on holiday with us! There are the usual beach vendors around still, selling various items, some legal, some not! However, the security guards are always around to keep them off the hotel beach and you do find a simple "no thanks" when your offered something works perfectly well. However, on a positive note, the water here is excellent. Its very shallow and very good for swimming.

Food this year at the Riu has really dropped off in quality and variety. The main St.Anns buffet used to be by far the best option for evening meals, however, this year it seemed quite repetitive in variety. The waiting staff in the hotel were usually very attentive, however, this year it was completely inconsistent and sometimes a real nightmare getting anyone to help you out. We often spent a long time wondering around just looking for a clean table. In the end, we realised the best option was to find any vacant table and grab it, then hope you can find a waiter to clean it away and re-set if for you. This wasn't always an easy task and often we were looked upon with an air of "this is too much trouble". The waiting staff usually get drinks for you in the restaurants. This year was a real bind. Either they wouldn't offer, or they'd forget you after you asked them for something or you just found it easier to go service yourself. Again, this was disappointing. In our first year here, we got to know our regular waiting staff and tipped them for good service. This year, you barely saw the same person twice; however, we had it good authority from one of the waiting staff that they are working short hours and therefore only doing a few days each week.

Breakfast is by far the best option for eating now. The omelette station is great if you don’t mind a little wait in line. Pastries were good, yet the availability of fresh fruit was sometimes a little inconsistent again.

Lunch we mostly ate at Mammee Bay. This wasn't because it was any good... it was just nearer to the end of the beach that we preferred! The lunchtime food service in here really was terrible! The choice was pretty much the same each day. It was a couple of pasta choice, a few odd other random things under the heat lamp and then the old friend... hot dogs and tinned burgers! The buns to go with these had to be a week old they were so stale! Tables in Mammee Bay at lunchtime were an absolute nightmare. Finding anyone to help you clear a table was near on impossible so you had to make do with a dirty table. If we could have eaten easily from the Jerk Hut each day without the lengthy queue, this would have been far better.

The nightly entertainment this year has also taken a real turn for the worse. In previous visits, you knew something of decent quality would have been on, every night, at 9.30pm on the dot. This year, shows were late starting for no apparent reason, shows were cancelled and altered at the last minute and what was put out was really of dire quality! I'm not sure if this down to Riu cutting budgets or the fact that many of the regular staff have left to work at the new Riu Montego Bay, but the whole entertainment thing needs addressing quickly. By far the worst night ever was the "animation show" which turned out to be a jumbled up mess of comedy and audience participation, which was very low key and very "holiday camp style". A real shame as this used be a major draw for us.

Overall, the staff at the hotel seemed unhappy and like they would rather you not be there. The bar staff were particularly unfriendly this year, and no amount of tipping was going to change that!

After talking to some of the staff, it became apparent that the General Manager who was there in 2007, apparently liked and well respected by the staff, had been transferred to the new Riu Montego Bay and several key staff have followed him by the looks of it. Apparently, they have a new General Manager there from last year who has come from the Dominican Republic. Now whatever is going on there, it is apparent that they do not like him and things really aren't working well anymore. The lobby furniture looks very shabby and tired, the public areas aren’t always kept that clean anymore and the staff look generally unhappy. All in all... this didn't make for a great holiday and it’s a real shame we won't be going back anytime soon!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank 330jet
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We've just returned last week from RIU Ocho Rios and after reading the previous three reviews I knew I wanted to post my experience. Wow, it couldn't be any more opposite from what I'm reading.

I found the staff to be extremely friendly is all areas. Never felt like they had their hand out for tips but smiled (genuinely) when we did slide some cash into their palms. Our service was the same whether we were tipping or not.

Food in buffets...mostly good. Beef always seemed tough to me but with so many other things I didn't care. Mexican night in buffett was superb. Desserts delicious..coconut ice cream to dreamy creamy cakes...oh boy..between the plentiful food choices and wonderful rum cream....is it hard not to gain weight on these trips. We only hit one ala carte, the Steakhouse and it was very good.

Lots of rain and yes tile is always slippery ...just like at home. Use caution....just like at home. They couldn't POSSIBLY run around the entire resort with a squeegy moving water around when it rains. Even at pool with wet tile due to splashing...just be aware and you'll be ok.

Rooms were nice...clean, air works fine, love that the screen doors are tight so you can leave glass door open at night and sleep in balmy Caribbean air with the sound of the ocean and not worry about bugs. We booked into the top floor so no worries about anyone trying to come in during night either. Our housekeeper was great and left us "towel art" occasionally. Fridge was restocked every other day I think but with so many bars on property it's not a concern for me. I will say, pillows were lumpy and water pressure was low. Turns out neither of these things are deal breakers for us.

Shows were typical of AI resorts...some good, some not so good. I don't expect Vegas. The audience participation shows never dissapoint...some people are just hilarious without even trying. If you've been to AI's before you know that the staff works from sun up to sun down and when they're dancing in those shows at ten o'clock at night many times I'm impressed at their talents.

Disco is typical..we only went one night and it was lively to say the least. Music choices that night were mostly hip hop..perfect for the crowd that was there.

We did stop on the way from airport. I would've preferred to skip it but some people are older and may need to use restroom facilities. No pressure to get off bus and buy a drink.

One previous poster said something about the bartenders "not knowing how to make many drinks" hm-m-m-m this is one of those times where I ask myself "were we at the SAME resort??" Not only do they know every drink in the world, we even have a special drink we dreamed up and they would stop and listen to what was in it (4 ingredients into the blender) when they were very busy and make it for us smiling all the while. Once they had it, we'd go back and they never had to ask ingredients again...just remembered....HUNDREDS of guests being served daily at the swim up bar. They were not only capable bartenders but FUN to boot. So many laughs while always busy and hot. Great customer service.

I also traveled with another female companion, my sister, and we didn't feel as though any inappropriate comments were made. Maybe a "hey baby" or "princess" now and again but nothing creepy.

Beach was a little short. for me....we like to take LONG walks..but it's clean and water is warm and clear. If you don't care about a seriously long stretch of beach to walk you'll be fine. Tons of chairs at beach and pool chairs didn't get scare until about 10 or 11 am but I expected this since the sun is out and hot by 7:30 AM. Love, love, love the people of JA and met a few locals on the beach walks. We'd chat and move on but it's always interesting to me to get a little insight of someone else's life, especially when it's quite different from my own.

Feel sorry for those that spent their hard earned money at this resort and had such a bad time but am genuinely confused how that happened. Therefore, I would highly recommend RIU Ochi for fun in the sun...great, friendly staff...laughter....and lots of memory making. Any questions, feel free to email me and I'll try to answer. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank peace_luv_sun

All-

Like many people, I read many of the reviews for this resort for months before I traveled there. Most of the reviews seemed to be positive. My overall experience at the Riu was quite wonderful (May 21-25,2009). I'm very picky and selective. I stay at top notch hotels in the US. I've tried to breakdown my experience honestly. One thing that travelers need to put into perspective is that you are on VACATION! Try to relax and leave most of your worries at home. I feel like many people come with serious expectations and need to lighten up some. Here is my perspective.

Jamaica Tours:
When I arrived in Jamaica, it was raining heavily. Jamaican Tours was found easily in the airport and they took us immediately to the large coach bus. We waited in the coach bus for at least 1 hr for them to start the trek to Ocho Rios. They were gathering other people at the airport to take at other resorts. I mean we could have complained. But, it was raining hard. So what was the rush to get to the resort! I was on vacation so I just relaxed on the ride, which stopped at least 4 times to let people off on the way.

Resort
The resort is BEAUTIFUL. It's CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Like previously mentioned, people were always cleaning something. The hallways, tables, floors, etc were wiped down constantly. The resort was sold out the weekend I went. We were given our room with no major issues. They served us rum punch when we arrived and provided us with pool towel cards and a safe lock(which never worked). We really didnt care that the safe lock didn't work. My boyfriend brought his own lock and we just used our valuables to secure our items. Again- you are on vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff. The resort has 2 large pools that are look very clean. Plenty of beach chairs on the pool and the beach. There is never a problem with getting chairs. The pool bar opened at 10am. Also- the place does have a sports bar area with pool tables, games, etc. We went in there to watch the Lakers game and had a blast.

Entertainment
The entertainers work extremely hard. I found them very fun and entertaining. Most of them work ALL day long. From like 9am-12am. I found myself tipping Anthony. He did the aerobics class and the show at night. I was amazed when he told me he only was off 1 day a week. Crazy!! He was fun. But anyway, most of the shows start at 8 and end around 11. The club was fun at the resort. They played a variety of music. It was crowded and folks were dancing.

Restaurants
The steakhouse was the only restaurant I didn't really care for. It was ok. But, I'm used to a steak being red when you order medium not charcoaled. lol.. But like I said- you can't complain. I just went to the Buffet to find something else I wanted after the Reservation place. As far as the reservation system, yes you do get up early to make reservations. But I found that even though I'm not a morning person, I was up by 7/8am each morning and never had a problem getting a reservation. Most times, it rained in the afternoon so folks wanted to be up early to catch the sun. The Sir John's restaurant is gourmet. It was nice and small but very romantic.

Dunns River
The only excursion we did was Dunns River. We did the catamaran tour which included a boat ride, snorkeling, and dunns river. We booked it through the resort down by the beach. It was 64.00 including tax. If you book it through Jamaican Tours or other Tour groups it can run you up to 85.00. Dunns River itself is very tiring. It was fun to say you did it but it takes a lot of energy.

Hope this review was helpful. If anyone wants to see my pics or has questions email me.

3  Thank atavistic8
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Just got back from this amazing relaxing place at the RIU Ocho Rios. Transfer from airport is about 1 hr 45 minutes, hotel is very nice, big, clean and staff very friendly. 24 hour all inclusive is great value, food was very good, plenty of choice but you need to pre-book the "speciality" restaurants as soon as you can the spaces fill up quickly! No queuing at any of the bars due to self-serving. Soft, drink, coffee, tea and beer stations dotted throughout the hotel and restaurants. The rooms are very nice. The in house entertainment is good with activities in the day as well as in the evening. The entrainment team show you how to do all the dancers. Its great funny!!! The restaurants are excellent with food for all tastes. Try the pastries. The hotel is on the white sandy beach; this is a beautiful place. The trips we took were: Bob Marley Museum, Blue Mountains, Dunn’s River Falls, and a shopping Trip into Ocho Rios. Well worth it just for the T-shirts a must do.

4  Thank rayjayRichmond
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!