“PERFECT VACATION AT A GREAT RESORT”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Wow!!! This is a totally relaxing place for all-inclusive chilling out. Standard rooms are just dandy; pools, bars, restaurants are all excellent. Entertainment was fun and suitable for families, and there are an army of staff to look after your every need. October is fairly quiet so it never felt at all crowded and a-la-carte restaurant bookings were easy to make at any time of day. Having said that the buffet restaurant is very good anyway, always serving jamaican and american food, with mexican, japanese, and seafood theme nights also. There are very few traders on the beach, but they dont hassle you and some can sell you excursions cheaper than your travel rep at the hotel.

If there was one negative point about the complex it was that there was a fair amount of property maintenance going on (decorating and repairs) which my wife found a little intrusive at times, although the rest of us didn't really notice.

We would certainly go back again if we can rustle up the cash, this was our best vacation ever.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank stuntboys-dad
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Reviewed 5 November 2009

The RIU Ocho Rios Hotel in Ocho Rios, Jamaica is absolutely wonderful. My husband and I spent 8 nights there in April 2009. If you like palm trees, then this is the resort for you. The beach is beautifully lined with palm trees, and the water is a gorgeous turqoise color. There is a reef located just outside the swimming area. We took our own snorkel equipment and snorkeled every day. The staff and entertainment crew were wonderful. If you are wanting to be entertained and busy while on vacation, there is some kind of activity going on all day and all night. We chose to spend our days relaxing on the beach. We did attend the nightly show performances - which were all great. Also we attended the beach party on Saturday night which was great as well. The resort itself is very pretty. From the open-air lobby, there are spectacular views of the beach and ocean! One of the nicest resorts we have ever been too. The main pool seemed to be surrounded by hundreds of palm trees - just a tropical paradise! My only complaint would be the food - except for the Jerk chicken. Most of the food didn't taste exactly like the "American" food we are used to. It was OK but nothing to brag about. We chose not to make reservations at any of the specialty restaurants there, but I can advise you to get up early to be first in line because the line is very long for dinner reservations. The "Jerk Hut" located on the beach served Jerk chicken for lunch, and it was wonderful! I would recommend this hotel to anyone that goes on a beach vacation looking for beautiful, tropical scenery. It felt like a tropical paradise.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lovetotravel1987
Reviewed 3 November 2009

I just returned from the riu in rio ochos, Nov 2,09. My cousin(22) and I(28) had a great time. The Riu was very pretty! Their beach was a little rocky, but you could find a sandy spot. They had a man grilling jerk chicken on the beach for lunch. It was very good. They also had a small pizza/pasta place open for lunch and a main dining room. We got sick of the pizza real quick. For breakfast they had anything you could want. They would cook eggs for you anyway you'd like, they had bagels w/cream cheese, pancakes, breads, every kind of juice and fruits. The fruits didn't look that good. They have several places where you can make reservations for for dinner. We went to two out of the three that were open and you'd do better just to keep to the main dinning room.

Their pools were very nice! The pool bar bartender was a little aggressive. He kept sending us shots and wanted us to stay at the bar with him or meet up later.

The room was okay. It didn't really matter to us because we didn't spend much time in there. The AC didn't get very cold. I had stains on my sheets. We didn't have lamp shades on our lights, which is not a big deal at all, I just thought it was weird.

The people were all very friendly. The men were a little too friendly, including the people that worked there. Men would pop out from everywhere and introduce themselves and tell you how pretty you are or sometimes they would say inappropriate things. It was a little crazy.

We went to the Dunns River Fall. It was sooo much fun! But as soon as you get there, there are men selling stuff. Their line was, here this is for free whats your name. Once you give them your name they would carve it into the wooden thing they were selling. Then say can you give me a little something for it, just $20. So just keep walking and if they say free, say no! Also at the falls they have a a bunch of huts that people are selling things in. Don't go in, it's like a maze! I got stuck. They wouldn't tell me the price of anything and when I tried to leave they made it very hard. They kept trying to sell me coffee for $35! The also tried to split up my cousin and I. All their stuff was junk! I found it to be very scary. Just go to the falls. That was a great time!

We also went to Hooves horseback riding on the beach. You also swim with the horses. That part was a little gross because the horse "go to the bathroom" in the water then you have to ride through it. Other that that t was a lot of fun. The guilds were very nice.
We had fun, but I think we'd like to try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank KCR81
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We were there from 10/26 until 10/30 and loved it. The place is beautiful. Great pool no more than 4 feet deep for you non swimmers,with fountains to sit under and a swim up bar. Lots of lounge chairs and it's right next to the Plantation restaurant which is where lunch is served. The beach is great with a sloping sandy bottom and lots of palm trees to sit under.The buffets were all outstanding (and we're comparing them against 4 resorts in Playa del Carmen we've stayed in over the years). Tons of fresh fruits,pastries, main courses and even a Jamaican section that serves Jamaican specialties. If you can't find something you like there.. maybe buffets aren't for you. The grounds are beautiful too. Rooms are very nicely done. Compared to the resorts in Mexico, this place shined through. What really started things off right was our ride to the resort. We paid the $160 round trip for a private car and we beat the bus in by over an hour to the resort. Well worth the money spent. We used Clives service. http://www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com/ We had Clive himself for the ride in and he really made us feel welcome and answered any questions we had during the trip. The ride back to the airport was there 20 minutes early so we didn't have to wait for him and we got to the airport in plenty of time to relax before the flight home. You won't go wrong with Clive.Overall my wife fell in love with the place and is already planning our next trip back.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Willbar
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Need better customer service, manager refuse to talk to me after room was break in.
Business Associate was stop at gate not allow to meet meet in lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelingSunny
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We just returned home to the cold from a beautiful week at the RIU Ocho Rios. I must say, I read some reveiws and was slightly concerned about the trip. When we arrived, all the concerns quickly vanished! We arrived late in the evening. Check in was a breeze. We gave our name, the handed us our keys and we were in our room within about 5 mintues!!! We got into the room and it was ice cold!!! We frequently had to turn the fan off and open the balcony door to warm it up! Our room was a king size bed and a double bed. It was perfect. It was a little musty smelling the first night, but after the first night, the smell was gone.
We spent our days on the beach. We only used the pools a couple of times because the beach was so beautiful!!! The bartenders on the beach were amazing!!!! Delmar was phenominal!!! He mixed me the best drink I've probably ever had!!! He called it Love Potion!!! He also totally hooked me up when he started his vacation by mixing me some extra for my room! Delmar also showed my son a couple of tricks to balance cups on his head and hands!!! My son loved it!!! He laughed so hard!!!!
The snorkeling is more amainzing if you go under the ropes of the beach and snorkle just out in front of the resort!!! We did the trip to Dunns River Falls with the snorkeling. We booked with Kind David. Also amazing and full of good tips!!!! We also took our son to do the glass bottom boat and snorkeling trip. He loved it! We found that booking with ScubaCaribe on the beach was cheaper than using the tour groups in the resort!
We did the trip to the market. That was an experience in itself. My son was with us and it made me extremely nervous. He is only 8 years old and often within the craft area the vendors were pulling him away to show him something. They meant no harm, but it made me nervous because I didn't want him out of my sight. Definately be prepared to barter!!!! They will always tell you a higher price and you can get them to come down!!! Just a tip, don't go to the market when a cruise ship is in town! You won't get as good of deals on products as you do when there is no cruise ship!!!!
Within the resort you don't have to tip. And we didn't tip for everything, but we found when we did, our service was even better!!!! We had awesome service regardless of tipping, but when we left a dollar to a couple of dollars, we got even better service! They remember you too!!!! We also left a note with some of the clothes that we know my son won't be able to wear next summer for a child in need. The maid was so excited she said it would be perfect for her son! From there on out we had flowers and towel art in our room!!!
In the room with the minibar, my husband wanted extra red stripe (because they only restock every other day). We called for some to the room and the brought him a 6 pack. When we wanted more, we left a note and a couple of dollars in the fridge and he received 8 additional beers!
Yes you do get some local peddlars on the beach. They were very kind to us. Even when we didn't want anything we just said no thanks and they moved along. We did buy the bamboo cups on the beach. We didn't use them while we were there, but definately made a friend. Johnny continued to bring my son shells and full starfish for the entire week we were there. Just remember they are trying to make a living. Winsome at the end of the beach with do a massage for $40.
Our son did the kids club only one day. He had a blast and wasn't ready to leave. They didn't keep the kids in the Mini club area, however they did tell you where to pick them up when time was up! It did take a few minutes to track them down to drop him off, but we were already ok and adjusting to the culture by this point!
One final tip is just remember they often run on "Jamaican time." If they tell you that expect that they are running about 15-30 minutes behind! It is important to keep in mind that we often lead very faced paced and hectic lives, but their culture is much more laid back and relaxed. Everything is "No Problem Man" And its all going to be "Irie" (Alright).

Overall we loved our trip and would definately go back!!! Our stay and service was phenominal!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Bree4778
Reviewed 1 November 2009

My husband & I travelled to Ocho Rios Riu on our Honeymoon, thinking a 5 star resort would be the way to go. The hotel is beautiful and the ocean looks picturesque! The buffet was awesome, but Security is the WORST! After enjoying a wonderful day at Dunn's River Falls and taking in the evening entertainment we returned to our room only to find it had been RANSACKED. This was done by someone who works at the resort since there was no forced entry, they had a key to get in!! Our safe was pried open and all our cash was stolen! Our camera with our wedding photos was stolen so were articles of clothing. They had turned our room up side down looking for valuables. Two other hotel rooms were robbed at the same time. Two out of three were on their honeymoon. Hotel staff was horrible to us, The Manager declined any responsibility even though it most likely was the front line staff who broke in, they have a master key to all the rooms. They ignored us for the days following and never once apologized for having our honeymoon ruined. The police told us that this is a regular occurrence at this hotel and they are at this hotel frequently for robberies.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, YOU WILL BE SORRY. I feel it is our duty to tell every person considering a trip to Jamaica, try another hotel, or better yet......go to Vegas!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
#26 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!