“little paradise in Jamaica”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Plymouth Meetign, PA
“little paradise in Jamaica”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

my husband picked this place up based on the reviews found on this site. After spending five nights at a high-end resort, we spent six days in The Blue House. Four days at the cozy cottage and two days at the Hummingbird family room. First of all, The Blue House surpassed the experience of the high-end resort in every aspect: meals, facilities, service, and overall the unique experience of sharing with the owner and her family, staff, and the rest of the guests. Unlike other reviews, I'd like to point out details not mentioned by others. The Cozy Cottage is a private paradise itself with the typical vegetation of the island, bird of paradise flowers, colorful birds, hummingbirds and friendly lizards. The music of the crickets and other little creatures bring to the evening the outstanding experience that makes the Cozy Cottage a very special place within this little gem: The Blue House. The meals are abundant in portions and carefully tailored by Chef Daryl and his assistants to please every palate and specific needs. The White river, which is in a walking distance to the B & B, is nice and cool specially for the very hot summer when a cool jump in the water refreshes the strong heat and high humidity. The close beach, Reggae Beach, is clean, quiet and its partially shallow water of bluish and emerald green hues fits specially for children and adults, alike. The terrace brings a gorgeous view of Ocho Rios and afar, the ocean. The property behind the swimming pool is of very lush tropical vegetation that, while in the swimming pool sipping a run-punch, can transport anyone to the dreamed vacation. Beyond all expectations, the attentiveness of the hostess and her staff made our vacations a wonderful experience to remember and share with friends and family. All in all, this is a five star place.
BTW, the rest of the guests we shared our vacation with, complemented our stay in a wonderful way. This is why coming to places like The Blue House make our vacations unique.

Room Tip: The Cozy Cottage is the best
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank lenita55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Middletown, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My husband and I visited the Blue House to meet our sponsered child in Bread Basket Ministries which is run by Elise Yap, our wonderful Innkeeper. The hospitality, cleanliness and service we recieved was above and beyond anything we could have hoped for. We enjoyed real Jamaican food and the beauty of the many flowers and birds which were in abundance. Our week stay ended much too soon and we are praying we will be able to return again. What a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Any room in THe Blue House is wonderful
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank thetwinsgrans
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Blue House in Ocho Rios is definitely the best guest house in Jamaica. The place is tastefully decorated, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, the swimming pool is a nice spot to end the day while sipping a rum punch... And the food: just AMAZING. Refined and delicious food. It is one reason on its own to go back there!
I strongly recommend this place. You will totally feel in vacation!
Enjoy!!
Segma

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Segma
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 June 2011

After a bad experience in a Kingston hotel, my friend and I were delighted to arrive in this beautiful, calm and lovely place. Owned by a charming family, they came to pick us up at the shuttle bus station in Ocho Rios. One room was big and nicely decorated, with a view to the swimming pool and the beautiful garden. They took us to Reggae beach and pick us up at the time requested. The food was absolutely fabulous!! A couple of friends who were staying in town, came to join us for dinner. They loved it immediately and moved the next day. I highly recommend this wonderful place and will definitely come back to spend more time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank pilatesfan
New jersey
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Staying and checking in to the Blue House was easy, leaving this peaceful environment was the hard part. We stayed for 2 nights before heading to Port Antonio for a wedding. We didn't go out to town but had a very relaxing time at this place!
The room was beautiful, spotless and comfortable, the view was very pretty. The bathroom is huge, I really liked the modern open shower and you can use the bathrobes which came handy after eating soo much. Dinners were AMAZING, loved the food variety and different flavors, the Red Snapper was cooked to perfection. My husband doesn't eat dessert and when dessert arrived I was happy to get my piece and of course take his, he ended up eating his piece of the delicious pineapple cake!! I am still dreaming about the food!! Breakfast was super! We had pancakes, the syrup had nuts and pieces of mango, the taste was incredible. We sat by the terrace for breakfast, it was a very nice setting, we even saw the hummingbirds.
The staff is very friendly, Patrick the driver that took us to Port Antonio was very nice and drove normal compare to other drivers.
Elise thank you so much for making our staying wonderful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank santorinilover_10
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This is an ideal spot for a relaxing vacation or for families with children. Elise and her family strike the perfect balance between treating you like a close family friend and a distinguished hotel guest. Her staff are professional and friendly. And the food! Truly, the highlight of our trip! And we are self-declared foodies. If you stay here, you MUST order the breakfast & dinner package! Our personal favourites were the cassava pancakes, fried saltfish, festival, goat curry, oxtail, mac & cheese, ginger-soy red snapper, lychee cake, and chocolate cake.

We loved our week-long stay in the Upper Room. We were delighted to discover the washroom and storage room were even more spacious than we imagined; we particularly enjoyed reading on the daybed and watching the 300+ tv channels. The room was clean, though we did find tiny ants and a baby gecko near the windows. This seems to be common in tropical areas though, and should not be considered a poor reflection of housekeeping which was superb.

Though our original intent was to relax, we did enjoy several activities including multiple trips to Reggae Beach, tubing on White River, boating and snorkeling boating in Ocho Rios, and waterfall climbing at Dunns River. However, our favorite activity was definitely the Blue House’s Blue Hole Tour. Though pricey, we thoroughly enjoyed this swimming/cliff diving/hiking trip. Keep in mind that if you choose not to rent a car, then you will need to hire a driver for most excursions.

Final tips:
• The Blue House has 3 couples hammocks on site that are perfect for lounging in; Be sure to ask one of the staff if you don’t see them
• When you visit Scotchies, request juicy chicken (the locals prefer their bbq chicken dry and overcooked)
• Purchase your souvenirs (Blue Mtn coffee, tamarind sauce, jerk seasoning, guava jelly, cassava chips) from the supermarket in Ocho Rios at non-tourist prices
• If your goal is to explore Jamaica, consider spending half your time here and the other half in Negril (beautiful sunsets & beaches)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank urbantourist
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 12 May 2011

My husband and I spent 10 glorious days @The Blue House Ocho Rios Jamaica.....this delightful Bed and Breakfast far exceeded our expectations. My husband and I enjoyed every single moment of our experiences. From the great hospitality, phenomenal cuisine and just the tranquility of the Blue House, I have to say that I am feeling restored and rejuvenated after my return to Oregon....if any of you reading this feel tired, overworked, stressed, emotionally drained and need a true renewal of your entire being, this is the place for you....just think, it was like visiting wonderful friends and family at the Blue House. When I left work last week to catch our flight, I never imagined what a treat I was in for....I told Elise, the Innkeeper that we were already planning our next trip here....it has been very good for me but more importantly for the relationship with my husband. With the daily grind at work each day, I had forgotten to tell him how much he means to me and our life...I was simply too tired all the time....being at the Blue House helped me realign emotionally and placed my priorities back where they need to be....To also be specific, the environment was immaculate, the room was beautiful with crisp, clean, white sheets....all of our needs were anticipated and exceeded. Darryl, the Barefoot Chef, who prepared all of our meals was extraordinary to say the least....he perfectly balanced the special requests of all of the guests and we each felt very special at each meal...the staff were all super friendly and accommodating and our wonderful Innkeeper Elise embodied all that was special about the trip because of her sweet and thoughtful nature. We cannot forget Mother Gloria, Elise's mother and the wonderful laundress who kept all the linen sparkling...she was also a joy! The entire team, Ms. Denese, Karlene, Orlando, Shanna, Bookie and Marlon cared for us like family. We thank you so much and will be back next year!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple