“A slice of heaven in Ocho Rios”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
New York
“A slice of heaven in Ocho Rios”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Wife and I have just returned to New York from our fifth visit to this beautiful B&B located in the lush hills above bustling Ocho Rios. My wife is originally from Jamaica and we have been everywhere on the island but are always drawn back to the Blue House which is surrounded by beautiful gardens with a choice of several luxury rooms in the main house and for ultimate privacy a cozy cottage in the rear. The heart and soul of the Blue House is its great proprietor and hostess the lovely Elise Yap who along with her brother Darryl the famous gourmet cook aka "The barefoot chef" and her mother Gloria see to your every need. The location of the Blue House is great because you can choose to just relax in total peace and privacy by its gorgeous pool and gardens or be within minutues of the attractions that are available in Ocho Rios. To name a few: Dunn's River, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, the famous Reggae Beach, etc. Elise is an expert on all aspects of Jamaica and can arrange many interesting tours to experience the real Jamaica that few tourists actually see.We are already looking forward to next year and our 6th visit

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank monkeymommy35

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

We been to Jamaica five times ,after Negril small family hotel ,we wont do all-inclusive . So after reading reviews ,always wanted to try this Bed & Breakfest. We had friends getting married @ Sunset Grand (we been there 2007) . Friends wish they were with us. I told them how we had breakfest every morning with fresh fruit. My wife took my mango's ,so they knew to give her more each day. The sevice is great ,they know what you want and how you want your coffee. They made it better than myself. I still cant figure that one. As you sit outside ,you watch the humming birds ,and get a feal of Jamaica on the hill . If your out early even see cruise ship ,from far away go into bay.

I read reviews on how great the beds are ,belive me they are ,There is a bathroom also outside past the dinning room ,my wife appreciated that . When I beat her after dinner .lol

Elise ,is fun to be around and go's out of her way for you ,she even drove us around to get lunch (some Jerk) by the White River ,which is also down the road ,we walked and took pictures. Also steped in water ,be carefull water is going 10 mph or more.

Elise help is very nice ,they know your routine ,even if your out by pool after breakfest ,the bed is made already . Dinner time Olando is fun to be around to talk and knows your drink , You have dinner with other guest at the dinning room . Sometimes one other couple or two. never any more . You learn alot what other people do when they are away or where they been .Are first night we were the only couple , Darrel cooks for you. Elise eats with you and makes your day complete.

Over all agreat relaxing experience ,we will only look for places like this in the Caribbean . Buy the way you will be friends on Facebook after your stay. We are thanks Tom & Rochelle

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flavorman
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Blue House and Elise and all her wonderful helpers provide you with all that you could desire in a relaxing holiday. Comfort, beautiful tropical vegetation and wildlife, mouthwatering food (any food preferences willingly catered for) and very friendly and obliging staff. There are plenty of excursions to take and Patrick can you show you the real Jamaica, or you can walk a short distance to the lovely Reggae Beach and enjoy the turquoise sea or take a dip in the nearby river as a change from the lovely onsite pool. If you are interested in experiencing the Jamaica outside your tourist doorstep, Elise will show you the wonderful work she is doing to help those who are unable to help themselves and those who need a break in life. This was an unforgettable visit to a beautiful island and charismatic people.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of a very high standard you just need to choose what suits you.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Lesley B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed here for a wedding in Ocho Rios. The room was comfortable and clean. The hosts were very courteous. The best part of our stay was definitely the breakfasts. Fresh local fruit, sausages with homemade chili sauce, and the ackee! Even better were the humming birds and doctor birds that hung out on the veranda. If you're looking for something different than the big resort experience, this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aiveg111
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have been to the Blue House a couple of times and everytime I think I know what to expect, my expectations are far exceeded by Elise and her staff.

For starters, the room was even more comfortable than I remembered. They use the best sheets!!! The service - Exceptional! Elise and her staff goes out of their way to make sure that you get your heart's desire.

The food was FANTASTIC! I had lobster, steamed snapper, jerk chicken, ackee and saltfish w/fried breadfruit and my favorite meal on this trip was the curried chicken. I usually request Jamaican rum raisin and stout ice-creams for dessert, but Darryl, the amazing Chef, suggested that I try his chocolate hazelnut cake. I did and it was the best mouthwatering chocolate cake that I have ever tasted in my life.

I was traveling solo and went to relax, but when I wanted to do activities outside of the Blue House, Elise would join me on the excursions. We went to Karaoke, the beach, walking at Prospect Plantation, and even Yoga everynight!

Thanks so much to Elise and her staff for making my trip so enjoyable - Again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Gideon S
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We had the perfect 25th Wedding Anniversary trip. We are very glad we decided to stay at The Blue House! Elise made us feel cared for and handled many details so that we could relax and enjoy ourselves. We enjoyed the perfect balance of adventure and relaxation.

The House and Gardens - We stayed 4 nights in the Upper Room and 1 night in the cottage. The pictures on the web don’t really show how nice the house and gardens are. Every area inside and out are clean and comfortable. The Upper Room has large curved windows that look out onto the gardens in both the bedroom and bath. The view of the flowers seen through the windows is a wonderful way to wake in the morning. We don’t normally hang out poolside while on vacation, but the pool at the Blue House feels like a secret garden with a view of the mountains in the distance. We had the pool to ourselves and it felt like we were at our own private villa. The breakfast area has a spectacular view of both mountains and sea. Because it is covered, we also sat out there and enjoyed the afternoon thunderstorms. You can watch the clouds come in over the mountains and cross over to the sea. The humming birds were constantly at the feeders and we even saw an owl in the evening. We spent our last night in the cottage. It is a cozy little place tucked away in the back of the property.
Meals – We chose the breakfast and dinner plan. Darryl is an amazing cook. We tried several new foods while there. The cassava flour pancakes with bananas, fried breadfruit, salt fish, ackee, and Johnny cakes were some of our favorites. Like others mentioned in the reviews, if we said that we liked a certain food or wanted to try something, Elise and Darryl made sure that it was on the menu asap! The desserts were especially good and if we didn’t have room for dessert they wrapped up a slice for us to enjoy as a treat the next afternoon. Dinner conversation was always enjoyable. Elise has a gift for entertaining guests and shared stories of Jamaica with us over meals. We weren’t sure that we would feel comfortable eating family style with strangers, but the other people that we met were interesting and we enjoyed talking with them.

Excursions – We were there for 4 full days and chose an excursion for each day. Once Elise met us and talked to us about our preferences she made some adjustments and we felt that our trip was individualized for what we would enjoy most. We snorkled the first day and had the reef to ourselves. Our fishing trip with “Brown” the Rasta-fisher-man was a unique true Jamaica experience. We never thought we would go out on the ocean in a canoe! Seeing the fisherman in the morning at the riverside and hanging out with them for a few hours gave us a chance to talk with locals and learn from them. We were surprised that they use fruit and veggies for bait and take the canoes far offshore. We spent an entire day driving into the Blue Mountains for a coffee tour. It was the hightlight of our trip. It didn’t take long to drive out of town and into the Jamaican “bush.” Patrick was our driver and Elise went along as our tour guide. We got to see many small villiages on the drive. The mountains and waterfalls were spectacular. The views from Strawberry Hill were breathtaking. We stopped at Old Tavern Coffee Estate to see how Mrs. Twyman grows and roasts the coffee beans. She brewed a couple pots of coffee for us and served us cookies in her sitting room. The view from her cabin on the mountaintop is like nothing else in theworld. We didn’t want to leave. On the drive back we stopped for pictures at waterfalls and stopped to buy fruit, seafood, and a meal at a cook shop (delicious). We felt like we were on a day trip with friends. Our last day we went to the Blue Hole. The water was chilly from the mountain springs but we enjoyed climbing the falls, jumping in from the rocks and going into the caves behind the falls. We had the place to ourselves as we hiked up with our guide, Kevin. He not only knew the best foot and handholds, but he took the best photos!

I’m sure that whatever your preferences are for vacation activities, Elise would help steer you in the right direction. Go to The Blue House, mon!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Goodson4
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

What can I say? This had to be the best holiday I ever had! My sister Daughn and I went to Jamaica for a memory lane and healing trip in May to June. We went to The Blue House because it just felt right...we were drawn to the tranquility and the beauty of the place, Daughn and I were not let down in anyway by this wonderful place! We felt like we had come home to family. Elise, family and staff made us feel very much like we were the most important people in the world. Lots of heart to hearts and friendly advice...we dined with other special guests as we sat around the table telling our stories and singing Jamaican songs as we ate the most delicious of foods!

We would sit out on the balcony in the mornings and look down across the valley with the sea in the not too far distance and the beautiful mountains all around as we tried to get the perfect picture of the tiny humming birds flittering in and out from the two bird feeders as we ate the most wonderful breakfasts.

The rooms were amazing and felt good enough for royalty. We really loved the room we stayed in and there was nothing that we could have changed about it. We also could use the computer whenever we wanted to say hello to family back home.

We did a few tours from The Blue House and the drivers were respectful and wonderful and well chosen by Elise and her staff!!

We stayed almost a week and I can say without a doubt that it was one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed and I will never forget! It was home away from home!!!!

Mary K