“Feels like home - with a touch of magic”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We live in Kingston, and this was a short and much-needed break from the stress of the city. This was our first visit, and will not be our last! This is the perfect place to be lazy, self-indulgent and to unwind completely in a homely and peaceful atmosphere. If you want to go out, the town of Ocho Rios and the beach (Reggae Beach, which is very nice indeed) is also just a few minutes away. We stayed in the Cozy Cottage, which certainly lived up to its name. The house is snug and private, tucked into a hillside, very nicely furnished and decorated in warm tropical colors. The garden is just filled with flowers and birds - especially the hummingbirds, always competing for food - and behind the house is a tall forest which is also full of parrots, crows and many other birds. The hosts and the staff are kind and gracious. I could fill several pages in praise of Darryl, the "Barefoot Chef" - it was a gastronomic delight. Please see my photos to get an idea! If you are not too full, there are one or two good and reasonable informal eating places not far away - but believe me, you could save yourself for dinner with Darryl's cuisine! Incredible. The White River is a couple of minutes walk away and although we did not bathe in it, it looked tempting! But the pool at the house is lovely, not too much chlorine, a very relaxing area with sun and shade. If you want to read a full description with much more detail, please read the blog post I wrote about it at http://petchary.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/blue-days-in-white-river/ which also includes a full Flickr set of photos. Thanks to Elise, Darryl, Kerry-Ann and the hummingbirds for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderer003

Reviewed 4 July 2012

My GF and I were looking for a quick, last minute get away to Jamaica. I emailed the Blue House and they were very accommodating with the reservations. They arranged for us to be picked up from the airport in Montego Bay. The driver, Patrick, was awesome. He was ready for us as we got out of the airport. We had a great time talking to him on our trips to and from the Blue House.

We stayed five nights and loved every minute of it. The Blue House is near town and the important attractions, while still being tucked away. We felt like the property was a little sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle. Really it is a large house on a residential street in Ocho Rios. There are a couple of sitting rooms decked out with TVs, fans, and reading material. A pool walled with pink and white flowers is in back. I made sure to take a dip. The water was cool but not cold - really perfect. As I sat on the porch I could faintly hear reggae music in the distance. A hummingbird with deep red tail feathers is sucking up sugar water from a feeder. The Wifi is pretty powerful too. There are 4 or 5 rooms available, so the feel is intimate. We stayed in the Caribbean room, which was comfortable. The bed could have been a little better (it was two twins pushed together) but that is a complaint.

The best part of the Blue House was the food. Our breakfasts and dinners were included in the initial cost. At 7:00 p.m. dinner was served family style around a large glass table. Our first night's feast included coconut shrimp, curry goat, dal, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I’m not normally a big goat fan (it is ok but not ever on my top list) but this stuff was impressive. The rest of the food (especially the shrimp) was very tasty. The dessert was a scrumptious coconut cake - so delicious and moist. And the meals kept getting better and better. Darryl, the cook, is an amazing guy. His food is fantastic and he is so warm and full of stories.

My only problems were over information. I wish the hosts had sat down with us on the first day and had given us a definitive list of local activities. Instead, we were asked what we wanted to do. My GF and I often didn't know how to respond; we hadn't been to Ocho Rios after all. The hosts would answer questions but they seemed reluctant to make suggestions. We were pointed to a wall of brochures but they were not very helpful. A cheat sheet with attractions and prices would have been great. One could easily be written up and placed in every room. Honestly, part of the reason I like to stay at a B&B is so that I can get travel advice from the hosts. They are the experts on the local area. There were also a couple of timing mix ups. We would tell the owner something in the evening and that information would not be passed along to the crew in the morning. No major issues, just some minor annoyances.

The Blue House was great. They are the best that Ocho Rios has to offer. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room (the Caribbean) got some sun in the morning. Not a problem but I heard other rooms were d...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Speechyguy
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The Blue House was our home for a week on our 2nd leg of our Jamaican holiday and it was fabulous! We have a 2 year old and Elise and her family/staff were excellent with her, Darryl (the most amazing chef on the Island) prepared her a meal early so we could put her down to sleep before dinner was served, we couldn’t have asked for more! The gardens at the Blue House are beautiful with the constant humming of the humming birds, eating breakfast on the balcony with humming birds for company was very relaxing.

Elise is brilliant and will arrange trips for you at the drop of a hat – although Ocho Rios wasn’t really our cup of tea (full of cruise ship passengers buying tat!) there is plenty to do away from the crowds although with a 2 year old we were restricted and sadly didn’t make it to a plantation, Noel Coward's House or James Bond Beach (I use our daughter as an excuse, we were just happy relaxing by the pool, down by the beach, swimming in the local river or at Dunns falls etc etc...!)

To conclude, if you are not an all inclusive sort of person and love food and tasting something different every night in a relaxed, informal environment then The Blue House is for you! The food was to die for and we have already made Darryl's Jamaican Jerk sauce. If we ever go back to Ocho then we will most definitely choose to stay here again and will recommend it to all our friends!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan_and_Harriet
Reviewed 10 June 2012

As a Jamaican who is now living in the states, I can tell you The Blue House B&B is the real deal. I took my friends to Jamaica as part of our annual ladies weekend getaway. I wanted them to experience Jamaica the way I grew up.
I found The Blue House through Tripadvisor and knew this was the perfect spot for our short trip.
Elise and her staff are amazing; from the time you arrive they make you feel right at home. The food is AMAZING...mouth just watering thinking about the jerk shrimp, pumpkin rice…etc.
I have been back to Jamaica numerous times and I have stayed at all-inclusive resorts (when I didn’t feel like staying with family) and I can tell you that you DO NOT get the service and quality of food that you get at The Blue House.
If you want to experience the real Jamaica, skip the resorts and stay at the blue house.

Room Tip: The Blue House is location near most of the popular attractions
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ingrid F
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Well, were do I begin?? I searched and searched and searched to find somewhere in Jamaica for our honeymoon. I looked at the fancy all inclusive resort, B&B's and everything inbetween. I finally settled on The Blue House and am I ever glad I did. Elise, put up with my emails for almost 1 year asking questions after question, this was afterall my honeymoon and I wanted it to be perfect!! And it was perfect, the food, the service, the accomodations, all beyond what we expected, and our expectation were HIGH! Elise, Darryl, Mommy (aka Gloria), Kerry-Ann, Orlando, Marlon, Yvvone, Alvin and all the other staff that I forgotten to mention were better than any fancy 5 star all-inclusive resort. From the gardens that were maintained so well, to Elise's conversation around the dinner table, the amazing food prepared fresh daily by Darryl, to the top-notch cleaning and customer service of all the ladies. We were impressed! This not like any other B&B we have stayed at, the menu is not a "hope for the best", fingers crossed there is something that I will like.......it is totally based on your likes and dislikes and there is more than enough food brought to the table every night and the delicious cakes Darryl makes are to die for!!! I suggest men wear shorts with elastic waists and ladies make sure your dresses lose and comfortable.........you will need the extra room after sitting at Darryl's table!! If you LOVE a meal and there wasn't one that we didn't, but if you love one more than the rest, you can ask for it again and Darryl with happily accomodate your requests. If you want to be adventurous you can use the locals mode of transportaion, Route Taxi's, or if you are not up for that, Patrick, the driver for the Blue House will take you anywhere you want and his rates are fair. We did a combination of both and loved the adventures of Route Taxi's and the knowledge and professionalism of Patrick. Close to all activities and beaches, you can be out and about doing something everyday or sit by the pool which is freshing, clean and quiet. I would highly suggest trying out Reggae and Mahogany Beaches, both are brilliant, but I preferred Mahogany. We stayed in the Cozy Cottage, a beautifully decorated, 2 room, bedroom and living room, and 1 bathroom oasis tucked in at the back of the property. For those we want a little seculsion, this would be the spot for you. I peeked into all the other rooms in the main house, and they were all perfect for various types of travellers, from singles people to couples to families. All in all The Blue House is the one and only place to stay in Ocho, we talked to so many people on our excursions and they were all less impressed with their accomodations and food at their resorts than we were with ours at The Blue House. Not to mention, you are not one of 1,000 - 1,500 guests at a mega resort, you are one of maybe 6-8 guests and you will catered to on every level. From the moment we left, I was plotting on how to get back, this time with our kids. Everyone should experience service, food and accomodations at the level that The Blue House.

Room Tip: If you would like a little more seclusion, pick The Cozy Cottage. This is where we stayed and we lo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank backonthebike
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I did not want to stay at a hotel. My friend found The blue house. OMG the best thing she could have ever done! It was VERY PEACEFUL! That's what I needed. The staff was great! OMG The food; People, I felt like I was in heaven because I know it was not hell!!!!! I wanted to experience Jamaican food. That I did! The place is clean, You will sleep like a baby. The staff made You feel at home. Anything you may need, they was there. I Loved It!!! You must go and meet Mommy I loved her. Good Luck! I already miss it! Michelle Turnbull

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. any choice made will be a good one!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank michelle t
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Elise, Darryl, Mommy and all Staff set the standard for Service at the BLUE HOUSE!! I have never written a review and I feel compelled to write this one.

The Blue House represents more than just a traditional B&B. Elise and her staff cater to your every need. Offering Personalized Service, Superb food that left me dreaming of what was on the menu next.....Thanks Darryl!!! I traveled alone and I never once felt alone. Elise goes out of her way to ensure you have what you need and then some. Her staff Keryanne, Shawna, Marlon we remarkable during my staff. Elise had drivers take whever I needed to go. I had a tour that required me to be dressed early in the morning and Darryl the Magnificent Chef made my breakfast early!!!!!! I Absolutely Recommend the Blue House.....You Will Not be dissappointed!!!!!

Room Tip: The Cottages are amazing and open to the garden with beautiful orchids and hummingbirds.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo