“Awesome”

and 1 more site!
The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 22 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Absolutely great. I have ben to Jamaica many time and love the island, the culture, the people, and the food. This is the richest Jamaica experience I have had and its like doing a homestay with family. GREAT day trips are easy from there. THe food is just hard to put into words, and I am a "foodie" - if the enjoyment of cuisine is part of your trip you must stay here. The food is hands down the best Jamaican food I have ever had in Jamaica or the states, and I eat a lot of it. Hard to describe the amazing culinary delight of Blue House. I love the beach, so I was glad to be able to go to Reggae Beach whenever we wanted. Its great, got to meet amazing people from the full spectrum of the Jamaican Diaspora.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at the Blue House as part of a trek around the island where I was looking for things that are authentically Jamaican. Hands down, this place is second to none! It epitomizes what Jamaican hospitality and food is truly all about. It is one of those kinds of places that you want to keep to yourself and not tell anyone else about it, but so excited that you found it that you want to tell everyone about the experience. The property is about a mile or so (a quick ride) away form the famous Reggae Beach and some other beaches. It is situated on a quite road where it is nicely tucked away. If you drive too fast, you might miss it. The property is lush and have a zen-like feel to it. It is very relaxing and tranquil. The staff at the Blue House is also second to none. They are professional and extremely friendly from the initial email I sent to reserve a room to the point that you are there. They take great care in making sure that your stay will be the best you experience in Jamaica. I can see why they would be #1 at the time of me writing this review. The staff Kerry-Ann, Eleace (owner), Marlon and the team of some other young men (can't remember all their names) scurrying around to keep the place in tip-top shape and making your visit pleasant is simply amazing. The barefoot chef (Daryl) is an a class all by himself. His food is Jamaican food at its best. Better than most I have had anywhere else on the island. He too is just simply a warm person. I really enjoyed eating dinner with the owner. She is an extremely engaging woman and know so much about Jamaica and its culture. You truly feel like you are staying with either a close friend or family. In talking with her you will feel like you have known her all you life. She can point you in all the right directions of things to do and see.

The fact that the Blue House offers breakfast is enough, but their dinner option is truly out of this world. I would highly recommend including the dinner option during your stay. The rooms at the property are well decorated and a couple of them are of a exceptionally large. I stayed in the cottage in the back of the property. This is your best option if it is available. It is set apart from the house and is intimate, quite, peaceful and has a charming, romantic feel which will truly "satisfy your soul". It has a very private feel with a green, lush, tropical ambiance with a hammock and few humming birds flying around. The rooms are exceptionally clean and the beds a relatively comfortable.

In sum, the Blue House is great value for the money you will spend. When I am in the Ocho Rios area again, this will definitely be the place that I will be staying. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose the cottage if it is available and in your budget.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jahmekyah
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Blue House offers clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated rooms at a very reasonable price. The surroundings are truly tropical with lots of lush plants and flowers. It felt like an oasis. I would encourage you to choose the breakfast and dinner package, as the food is always excellent. The owner, Elise, is very friendly, and she makes you feel like family. She is a wealth of knowledge regarding what do do in Ocho Rios. Kerry-Ann was also very helpful when it came to organising our excursions. I must also thank Patrick, the driver, for being very prompt when it came to pick up times. He is very friendly, and accommodating, and extremely safe. Coming from Trinidad, it was strange having a driver that actually stayed below the speed limit! I stayed at the Blue House with my husband and I am very pleased I made the choice. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We spent only two nights and days at The Blue House, but, are already making plans to return for a longer visit. We stayed in the Upper Room. The decor is so comfortable. The bed is great. The shower is amazing. The gardens were so relaxing with many places you can sit and read or just enjoy the view.

But, this was not even the best part of our stay. It is the food. Breakfast and Dinner is included. It should not be missed!! Each meal was a true delight in both taste and presentation. Before you arrive, you are asked to inform The Blue House of your culinary likes and dislikes. But, be adventurous. You will not be disappointed. They then apply a Jamaican flair to it. It will blow you away.

It was also such a pleasure to come back from our daily plans and not have to think about what restaurant we should eat at, or what we would then pick off of the menu. Our dinner was always varied and plentiful. Both our palate and appetite was satisfied at each meal. Even the breakfasts were a delight. If you are a coffee drinker, even it was great.

I have not even mentioned the staff and the owners. All of the above only happens because of their committment to The Blue House and your comfort.

Room Tip: Look at their room photos to choose which is best for you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We live in Kingston, and this was a short and much-needed break from the stress of the city. This was our first visit, and will not be our last! This is the perfect place to be lazy, self-indulgent and to unwind completely in a homely and peaceful atmosphere. If you want to go out, the town of Ocho Rios and the beach (Reggae Beach, which is very nice indeed) is also just a few minutes away. We stayed in the Cozy Cottage, which certainly lived up to its name. The house is snug and private, tucked into a hillside, very nicely furnished and decorated in warm tropical colors. The garden is just filled with flowers and birds - especially the hummingbirds, always competing for food - and behind the house is a tall forest which is also full of parrots, crows and many other birds. The hosts and the staff are kind and gracious. I could fill several pages in praise of Darryl, the "Barefoot Chef" - it was a gastronomic delight. Please see my photos to get an idea! If you are not too full, there are one or two good and reasonable informal eating places not far away - but believe me, you could save yourself for dinner with Darryl's cuisine! Incredible. The White River is a couple of minutes walk away and although we did not bathe in it, it looked tempting! But the pool at the house is lovely, not too much chlorine, a very relaxing area with sun and shade. If you want to read a full description with much more detail, please read the blog post I wrote about it at http://petchary.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/blue-days-in-white-river/ which also includes a full Flickr set of photos. Thanks to Elise, Darryl, Kerry-Ann and the hummingbirds for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderer003
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My GF and I were looking for a quick, last minute get away to Jamaica. I emailed the Blue House and they were very accommodating with the reservations. They arranged for us to be picked up from the airport in Montego Bay. The driver, Patrick, was awesome. He was ready for us as we got out of the airport. We had a great time talking to him on our trips to and from the Blue House.

We stayed five nights and loved every minute of it. The Blue House is near town and the important attractions, while still being tucked away. We felt like the property was a little sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle. Really it is a large house on a residential street in Ocho Rios. There are a couple of sitting rooms decked out with TVs, fans, and reading material. A pool walled with pink and white flowers is in back. I made sure to take a dip. The water was cool but not cold - really perfect. As I sat on the porch I could faintly hear reggae music in the distance. A hummingbird with deep red tail feathers is sucking up sugar water from a feeder. The Wifi is pretty powerful too. There are 4 or 5 rooms available, so the feel is intimate. We stayed in the Caribbean room, which was comfortable. The bed could have been a little better (it was two twins pushed together) but that is a complaint.

The best part of the Blue House was the food. Our breakfasts and dinners were included in the initial cost. At 7:00 p.m. dinner was served family style around a large glass table. Our first night's feast included coconut shrimp, curry goat, dal, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I’m not normally a big goat fan (it is ok but not ever on my top list) but this stuff was impressive. The rest of the food (especially the shrimp) was very tasty. The dessert was a scrumptious coconut cake - so delicious and moist. And the meals kept getting better and better. Darryl, the cook, is an amazing guy. His food is fantastic and he is so warm and full of stories.

My only problems were over information. I wish the hosts had sat down with us on the first day and had given us a definitive list of local activities. Instead, we were asked what we wanted to do. My GF and I often didn't know how to respond; we hadn't been to Ocho Rios after all. The hosts would answer questions but they seemed reluctant to make suggestions. We were pointed to a wall of brochures but they were not very helpful. A cheat sheet with attractions and prices would have been great. One could easily be written up and placed in every room. Honestly, part of the reason I like to stay at a B&B is so that I can get travel advice from the hosts. They are the experts on the local area. There were also a couple of timing mix ups. We would tell the owner something in the evening and that information would not be passed along to the crew in the morning. No major issues, just some minor annoyances.

The Blue House was great. They are the best that Ocho Rios has to offer. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room (the Caribbean) got some sun in the morning. Not a problem but I heard other rooms were d...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Speechyguy
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The Blue House was our home for a week on our 2nd leg of our Jamaican holiday and it was fabulous! We have a 2 year old and Elise and her family/staff were excellent with her, Darryl (the most amazing chef on the Island) prepared her a meal early so we could put her down to sleep before dinner was served, we couldn’t have asked for more! The gardens at the Blue House are beautiful with the constant humming of the humming birds, eating breakfast on the balcony with humming birds for company was very relaxing.

Elise is brilliant and will arrange trips for you at the drop of a hat – although Ocho Rios wasn’t really our cup of tea (full of cruise ship passengers buying tat!) there is plenty to do away from the crowds although with a 2 year old we were restricted and sadly didn’t make it to a plantation, Noel Coward's House or James Bond Beach (I use our daughter as an excuse, we were just happy relaxing by the pool, down by the beach, swimming in the local river or at Dunns falls etc etc...!)

To conclude, if you are not an all inclusive sort of person and love food and tasting something different every night in a relaxed, informal environment then The Blue House is for you! The food was to die for and we have already made Darryl's Jamaican Jerk sauce. If we ever go back to Ocho then we will most definitely choose to stay here again and will recommend it to all our friends!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Great Huts
Great Huts
#1 of 32 in Port Antonio

Been to The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!