and 1 more site!
The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Blue House for a week for our honeymoon. It was both of our first times out of the country, and I chose The Blue House over an inclusive because of all the positive reviews. We had a really wonderful stay. The house was beautiful as was our room (The Upper Room). The staff was incredibly kind and very hospitable. Elise was wonderful, funny, and very helpful. She was very knowledgeable, and was able to arrange transportation for us whenever we needed it. The food was incredible! Daryl is a kitchen magician, and he did a great job of mixing healthy food, comfort food, and adventurous food. I tried new things like jerk lamb, and curried goat, and enjoyed some of my favorites like rice and beans and mac and cheese. My absolute favorite was the cassava pancakes. The families that were staying at the same time as us were also wonderful. We walked to Reggae beach twice. You do have to pay to get in, but it was clean not crowded. We also went to Dunn's River falls, and went horseback riding with Hooves. We enjoyed both a lot. Overall, it was a great trip, and we definitely recommend staying at The Blue House!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah M

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Yes the food was great (phenomenal cassava pancakes!) and Elise and Darryl make you feel very welcome, but what I appreciated the most about the Blue House was the excellent sleep I got there because of the tranquility of the place. It was exactly what I needed.

2  Thank JAGuest
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have just returned from an 8 day trip to Jamaica. As a single woman I put a great deal of thought into where to stay when traveling and after extensive research on the internet, perusing my Lonely Planet guide book and a recommendation from a friend I opted to book at The Blue House for 6 nights and an all-inclusive near Montego Bay for two. After experiencing both my only regret about my trip is not having stayed at The Blue House for the whole time.

Traveling solo can be a lonely and difficult venture but upon my arrival I was instantly made to feel at home. Elise went out of her way to make sure that I was comfortable and made meals a time not only of divine eating (I'll get to that later!) but also of community building where guests were able to chat and share their stories. She also goes out of her way to join the guests for dinner nightly. Her knowledge and love of the island became immediately apparent as she regaled us with interesting stories night after night and offered endless options for activities to fit any price range in the area and budget.

The room I was staying in is called Sanctuary and it proved to be just that. With a lovely view of the pool it was comfortable, clean, and peaceful. Then of course there is the food... There is a reason every review raves about Darryl's cooking for each meal was plentiful and delicious. The menu varied daily and there was obvious care and attention made to cater to the tastes of the current guests. When I eventually moved to the all-inclusive resort I missed Darryl's cooking tremendously, despite the resorts vast selection of food it was all tasteless and so unimaginative compared to the delectable delights I had been spoiled with at The Blue House.

As for location, while The Blue House is outside of Ocho Rios I did not find it difficult to get around at all. Elise is very willing to arrange any type of tour or activity for her guests and compared to the prices for excursions I saw at the resort, at very reasonable cost. Getting into Ocho Rios is a very short bus ride that is only $1 or for a little more you can take a private taxi. I also found Darryl and Elise very willing to offer a ride if they were free or running into town. The walk to Reggae Beach was a great way to burn off some of Darryl's cooking and while you do have to pay to get in what you get for that fee is privacy and security. It is busier on cruise ship days (as mentioned my another reviewer) but compared to the wall to wall people at the all-inclusive it was much less crowded and much more clean. And when the cruise ships aren't there (which is most of the time), you have the beach almost to yourself with comfortable loungers and your choice of sun or shade.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will return to The Blue House. I had many wonderful adventures (ask Elise about going to experience Firewater!), made new friends, and laughed endlessly along the way. The Blue House quickly became a home away from home where I felt embraced by Elise, Darryl and the entire staff. I can't think them enough for making my trip such a memorable and joyous time and I look forward to returning!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank TrishJ72
Reviewed 1 January 2013

In spite of the very favorable reviews, we would like to highlight that the location does not seem very convenient for travelers despite the nice views, and that almost every service you ask for has a "Ocho Rios price tag" (it is more about the treatment than the money).

The B&B provides complimentary transport service to a couple of beaches, whereas the "Reggae beach" - fulfiling the notion of a nice Caribbean beach - costs USD 9.5 / person, and may be crowded with people from cruises. The problem is that most of the nice beaches have been "taken" by the big all-inclusive resorts. The blue house is about 3 miles from the town centre requiring bus/taxi service for each move.

On the other hand, food in general and particularly breakfast, were absolutely outstanding.

If we were to return to Ocho Rios as travelers, we would exceptionally prefer an all-inclusive resort to a B&B. However, they are to be booked well in advance to get good deals.

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentary upgrade to get the "upper room".
8  Thank ChrisTobias
BBMOchie, Owner at The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Our entire team works really hard to ensure that our guests have a wonderful experience at our Luxury Boutique B&B. My brother Darryl, AKA The Barefoot Chef, and I, both love our life’s work in joyously welcome new friends from all over the world to our home. Every now and again though, even with the best of intentions, things don’t quite work out.

When this guest booked his room he pushed hard for a room upgrade to our luxury suite rather than accept my generous offer of free dinners as is our norm with last minute bookings. As our Tripadvisor reviews all rave about our lavish, no-menu, family style dinners, I thought it odd that having chosen our B&B based on these very reviews, he chose to refuse the most outstanding highlight of our property.

The day after their arrival, they proceeded to bargain for a 50% discount on dinners, claiming they normally eat very little. With only five rooms, our kitchen operates on very small margins. This is additionally compounded by the fact that Darryl and I are hardcore Foodies and one of our top priorities is ensuring gastronomic delights for our guests. The dinners for this vegetarian couple were prepared with fresh, high-priced, organic produce. Discounting their dinners meant we lost financially but remained true to our other top priority of ensuring that all our guests are happy with their Blue House experience. Suffice it to say, they thoroughly enjoyed all the dishes in their three course dinners, consuming much, much more than they claim they normally eat !

Funny, isn’t it, that despite the numerous courtesies afforded this couple, including my graciously taking them downtown for dinner on the night of their arrival because he had been unwise in not booking dinners, the only outstandingly positive comment he could make was about our breakfasts. :-) He chose rather to throw a negative slant on the other top reasons guests book our property: our moderately priced, unique, off-the-beaten-path tours, the competitively priced services of our top-notch, on-call masseuse, the fact that we are away from the noise and hustle of downtown Ocho Rios and the normally secluded beach that is our guests’ favourite.

After the tantrum he threw on the last night of their stay, ensuring yet another free upgrade from us, I realised that the more I bend backwards to please him, the more he demanded. I suspect he expected Third World prices like those found during his travels in Cuba, Africa and South America. Unfortunately for him, Jamaica, the most loved and the most popular of all our Caribbean islands, proved to be too expensive for his budget.

Our lush, restorative boutique property on the outskirts of Ocho Rios, our signature services and our exquisite meals are not for everyone. Darryl and I will continue to strive to give all of our guests the best bed and breakfast experience possible. In 99% of the cases, we succeed.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

My wife and just returned from Blue House for a six nights stay. We choose Blue House based on it's selection as a Traveler's Choice award from Tripadvisor readers. We stayed in the Blue Room, comfortable, spacious and beautiful. Our stay was similar to the many reviews posted "excellent". The food prepared daily by Darryl is exceptionally fresh, excellently seasoned and the flavours outstanding. Elise and the staff are welcoming and accommodating. We were very happy that we chose an alternative to the all inclusive hotel. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. Orlando, Yvonne and Shawna Thanks. Special thanks to Patrick and Shane the drivers who assisted our transportation. Elise, thanks for a great time at Blue House!

1  Thank GB&BB
Reviewed 4 December 2012

The Blue House exceeded my expectations and contributed greatly to my awesome vacation in Jamaica. The food was delicious and plentiful, everyone was helpful and friendly, and everything was clean and beautiful. The view was breathtaking and the backyard was a tropical paradise! Thank you very much, Blue House!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Catgyrl
Reviewed 3 December 2012

You will absolutely enjoy your stay at The Blue House! It's so peaceful it seems as if you are the only people there. The food is amazing! (If there is something you want to try or request they will try and make it happen for you). The staff are nice and very accommodating. The rooms were clean and large. Elise and Darryl will welcome you with open arms, and do whatever it is to make your trip a memorable one. If you are an early riser, eating breakfast with the hummingbirds is quite an entertaining event :) By the end of your stay you will feel as though it is your home too!
Thank you to The Blue House for making Jamaica one of my favourite places to visit! :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends