“5 Star in Every Way”

and 1 more site!
The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 22 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I'm not sure where to begin, but here goes ... We spent 12 days at The Blue House from Feb. 14 - 25th. I have been to Jamaica 10 times before this trip so I know what to expect. We started out as a group of 10 (booked entire place) and slowly dwindled down to just the two of us for the final 4 days. We had been dealing with Elise for a full year, planning our wedding and was unsure how things would turn out, let me start by saying that everything was done to perfection, even beyond my expectatons. The wedding was like a magical fairy tale! One of our guests told me she thought she was in a dream! Elise and her entire staff worked their buts off to ensure all our plans went without a hitch. When we woke up to a rainy forecast on the day of the wedding, Elise even had plan "b" and plan "c" in place, if we desired to make a change, to ensure we would be happy, regardless of the rain. We did stick with our original plan (wedding at the waterfalls and the reception back at The Blue House). It was nothing short of spectacular! They scrambled to remove all the furniture from the living room area to accommodate our dinner and our band inside - quite a remarkable feat!

The balance of our time at The Blue House was also very wonderful. Darryl is an amazing chef and there was always something to please everybody. When we were down to the final two (my husband and myself), Darryl planned all of our meals especially to please our North American taste buds. There was always WAY too much food and many, many choices. I was happy to leave before I couldn't fit into any of my clothes. We ate more food in 12 days there, then we would normally eat in a month or more at home! My husband and I both had birthdays there, and special considerations were made for both of our celebration dinners!

Elise and her staff truly do treat their guests like family. Elise made a special order for young coconuts just for me, because she knew that I love the cold jelly, and the day before we left, went out of her way to get me festival mix in a box to take home (another of my favorite jamaican foods!)

We stayed in the upper room for the first week and then moved into the cottage for our last 4 days alone. We did see all the rooms as they were occupied by our friends and the whole place is very clean and comfortable. We found the bed in the upper room a bit more comfortable then the one in the cottage.

I could go on and on and on about how fabulous this place is, but I think you get the point. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Elise, Darryl and here entire staff go out of their way to ensure you have a vacation that is custom-tailored to your wants and desires. A big thanks to all .... Elise, Darryl, Orlando, Shanna, Samantha, Carline, Yvonne and anybody else who I may have missed. You all are so gracious and special. Thank you again for making our wedding day and our whole vacation, so amazing - everybody was awestruck! I will add some photos to this review as soon as I have some!

Room Tip: The cozy cottage is exactly that ... a very cozy cottage - very private.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank valerie-tom

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Elise is a welcoming host....Greeting us with warmth like we were family returning to our beautiful home. Lovely rooms , beautiful gardens and attentive staff. Darryl is a wonderful cook providing something delicious for every taste. After a busy day enjoying the countless activities nearby you can return to a wonderful meal or a quiet swim in the pool. Better than home !!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 24 February 2013

What to say! Darryl, Elise and the staff were awesome! This was home away from home, but with excellent service included. The food was amazing, the place was well kept and everyone was so friendly... I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bornt0befree
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Simply put, this is the only place I will stay in Jamaica for any trips to come. The location is tough to beat and the accommodations are spacious, comfortable and well kept. Financially, it is a great value! However, even more importantly, the hospitality is outstanding! Ms. Elise, Ms. Gloria, Daryl and staff (Orlando, Carlene, Yvonne, Mikey) are the consummate hosts and were all incredibly kind and welcoming. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. It was of impeccable standards, from the linens to the decor and design. Comfortable, clean, suitably equipped, spacious and private, with a luxurious bathroom and great wardrobe space. What more do you need.

The property has beautiful surroundings and a very inviting swimming pool area where we relaxed on super-comfortable sun loungers. The tropical gardens are perfectly manicured and gave a real sense of privacy. What a splendid scenery to wake up to each morning.

Moving onto the food. On a scale of 1- 10, I give it an 11. I am having a little trouble finding the words to describe the orgasmic experience. Enough said!

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. It felt like our home away from home! I will continue to recommend The Blue House to anyone who is considering a vacation to the area. If you do not want to stay in a touristy hotel, and want to experience the culture that Jamaica has to offer, then The Blue House is your only option.
Nicole G.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 312Beng11
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Darryl ruined my diet but it was worth it. Man can cook! Don't eat for a month before you go! Don't eat out at night. Stay "home" at the Blue House and eat because you can't find better than Darryl! Oh yes and Miss Elise is a wonderful and charming host.
Oh you want to know about the rooms and location? They are near Darryl is all you need to know. Oh sorry. It's a lovely private home converted to a B&B. It's on a "suburban" street near the white river. It is comfortable, clean and perfectly ideal if you just want to hang out, go to the beach, check out town and come "home" to eat. Reggae Beach is not far and it is EXCELLENT. I am Jamaican and feel cheated that I never knew of this beach in all my years there. I loved that Blue House attracts local Jamaican holiday makers so you get a real feel for the island--you are not hanging out with drunken frat boys (not that anything's wrong with that). The pool and gardens were very lovely and clean and well kept. We had the back cottage and it was a nice little oasis filled with leafy tropical plants and flowers attended by hummingbirds and lizards. The bed was comfortable and the cottage was simply charming! At night it's so quiet you get to hear the symphony of nature. It will amaze you!

Elise trains local young men and women to be hospitality workers. They are friendly and at times you have to give them a little leeway, but she's doing great work there.

I chose this place because of the reviews here and I hope others reading this know that the previous reviewers are not lying. It's not a fancy schmancy hotel. It is homey. It's like the real Jamaica. And it's time to support local business so that the money stays in Jamaica and not leave the island.

I can not wait to go back. I have been telling all my family and friends about the Blue House. Darryl, we are preparing our bellies!

Room Tip: I only saw the cottage and it's perfect for a small family with kids. The main house where we a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ilevare
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The Blue House, located in a very nice residential neighborhood, just off the main road in Ocho Rios was our home for seven days. It was our first time traveling to Jamaica and luckily we relied on the Trip Advisor's reviews. Being "foodies", we were looking for a little more than what the all inclusive had to offer. First off, let us say (as restaurant owners), the food was worth the trip! Breakfast and dinner were consistently extraordinary, Darryl has a true talent. Sometimes the dynamic of a B&B can be tricky. Elise has found the correct balance of managing guest needs while respecting their privacy. She was spot on when it came to suggesting excursions for us to spend the day. We like to hike, swim, enjoy nature and soak in the culture while visiting a new destination. We had a crystal clean swimming pool, surrounded by magnificent gardens, a fresh water swimming stream minutes away and Reggae Beach less than a mile. We stayed in the Hummingbird Room, the bed was comfortable, the room spotless and quite secluded. Another highlight of our stay was meeting new friends along the way, it was like home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Judy Jim D
Reviewed 11 January 2013

From the moment we arrived in Jamaica our first experience of The Blue House came in the form of our driver, Patrick, who had been suggested by Elise, The Owner of The Blue House. He was informative, accommodating and knew the roads so well he could do it with his eyes shut. We used Patrick each day from then on to get around the island. On arrival at The Blue House we were made to feel very welcome by Darryl. We chose this B&B for 2 main reasons. Firstly, the website showed the amazing array of food that Darryl, the Barefoot Chef, could concoct. Being avid food lovers our mouths were already watering and the real deal didn't disappoint. We tried Jamaican Goat Curry - a favourite local dish, Achee and salt fish for breakfast (Jamaica's National Dish), and pancakes with caramelised banana and walnut; just to name a few. Desserts consisted of a variety of cakes which were all divine. The website also provided us with a lot of additional information which is certainly worth a read. The B&B provides a very intimate touch to your holiday. Secondly, we read all the positive trip advisor reviews and thought this sounds just what we're after and it was. The rooms within the main house were extremely clean, spacious and light filled. Being a family with 2 energetic children we chose The Cosy Cottage which was detached from the main house and situated among tropical gardens with it's own verandah, hammock and varied bird life. This had a separate area for the children to sleep with a bathroom connecting the 2 rooms and it suited our needs perfectly. It also mean't that the children didn't disturb other guests too much! All the staff were exceptionally friendly, kind, helpful and bent over backwards to do things for us. The pool was enticing, the scenery spectacular. A special mention must go to the following people:- Mikey, the maintenance man/gardener. Thank you Mikey for keeping our son so entertained. He gravitated towards you because you took the time to talk to him and show him many things. You were also a fantastic medicine man when Elliott hurt his hand and the banana concoction worked a treat. His hand is beginning to heal really well. Orlando, you were always at our beck and call, providing us with homemade drinks and serving dinner. Yvonne and all the girls who served food, cleaned our rooms and greeted us with the most fabulous smiles each day - you did a wonderful job. Our rooms were spotlessly cleaned. Last, but not least, a huge thank you to Elise and Darryl. You were brilliant hosts to all your guests, not just us, during our stay with you. We felt part of your family, at home, relaxed, comfortable and entertained. We were also fortunate to have made some new friends from eating our meals each day with other wonderful guests. Thank you to everyone for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Great Huts
Great Huts
#1 of 32 in Port Antonio

Been to The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!