“The best part of our honeymoon”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I wish there were more stars to award. My husband and I stayed at the Blue House for a portion of our honeymoon last month. It was so wonderful, I'm not sure I could properly describe it - the owners and staff were always helpful, and I've never stayed somewhere where the staff was more attentive; the food was divine (both breakfast and dinner, with a lot of amazing Jamaican fusion dishes - for example, the owners have Chinese ancestry, and one night cooked a divine steamed fish from the bay); the rooms were wonderful; and altogether it was incredibly relaxing. While we were there, the owners gave us a bottle of wine for our honeymoon, and even helped me prepare for an interview I couldn't reschedule. When we had trouble with skype, one of the staff members brought out his own personal laptop and downloaded skype onto it for me. We stayed in the Upper Room. As a side note, after leaving, we realized how ubiquitous those small black ants are, and how nice it was that The Blue Hose was completely free of them. I wish we had booked more days there, and if we return to Jamaica, we'll make sure to stay there again. If you're looking at taking a vacation in Ochie, stay at the Blue House. It's pretty much the best place we've ever stayed during our travels, period.

Room Tip: The Upper Room is wonderful - my husband has a sleep condition, and in 10+ years of knowing him, I...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KiwiPilot1

Reviewed 10 March 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay at The Blue House which is our seventh stay at this property. We have traveled to Jamaica since the mid 1970s and experienced the whole island and its sights and accommodations. Several years ago we happened upon the rave reviews for The Blue House on Trip Advisor and decided to try it. Once we stayed there for the first time we were hooked by its beauty and location in the scenic hills above Ocho Rios. Needless to say we have been returning there at least once a year to experience this paradise. The rooms are beautifully decorated with a great pool in a tropical garden. However the real beauty and heart of the place is the innkeeper, Elise, who is a great conversationalist and human dynamo. She knows every corner of Jamaica and its people and culture and whatever you desire to do on this tropical island she will steer you in the right direction. The food is gourmet style prepared by her brother, Darryl. My wife and I still salivate about these great dishes. The staff is top notch and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. If you want to experience the real Jamaica rather than the sterile conformity of an all inclusive then The Blue House is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank monkeymommy35
Reviewed 7 March 2013

it is very expensive. the delightful gardens are very calming and the pool refreshing,. we loved watching the humming birds at the feeders . the food prepared by Darryl is really great and plentiful and he bent over backwards to cater for 2 vegetarians and a coeliac. thank you Darryl.
Elise was very welcoming and helpful. the rooms are comfy but the bathroom a little in need of help.
we enjoyed eating with the fellow guests who were most interesting and if there were none Elise joined us for supper and entertained us with her stories.
we would recommend it highly if you love good food.
there is a lovely river down the road with a walk along the bank for about half a mile.

1  Thank tuk585
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I'm not sure where to begin, but here goes ... We spent 12 days at The Blue House from Feb. 14 - 25th. I have been to Jamaica 10 times before this trip so I know what to expect. We started out as a group of 10 (booked entire place) and slowly dwindled down to just the two of us for the final 4 days. We had been dealing with Elise for a full year, planning our wedding and was unsure how things would turn out, let me start by saying that everything was done to perfection, even beyond my expectatons. The wedding was like a magical fairy tale! One of our guests told me she thought she was in a dream! Elise and her entire staff worked their buts off to ensure all our plans went without a hitch. When we woke up to a rainy forecast on the day of the wedding, Elise even had plan "b" and plan "c" in place, if we desired to make a change, to ensure we would be happy, regardless of the rain. We did stick with our original plan (wedding at the waterfalls and the reception back at The Blue House). It was nothing short of spectacular! They scrambled to remove all the furniture from the living room area to accommodate our dinner and our band inside - quite a remarkable feat!

The balance of our time at The Blue House was also very wonderful. Darryl is an amazing chef and there was always something to please everybody. When we were down to the final two (my husband and myself), Darryl planned all of our meals especially to please our North American taste buds. There was always WAY too much food and many, many choices. I was happy to leave before I couldn't fit into any of my clothes. We ate more food in 12 days there, then we would normally eat in a month or more at home! My husband and I both had birthdays there, and special considerations were made for both of our celebration dinners!

Elise and her staff truly do treat their guests like family. Elise made a special order for young coconuts just for me, because she knew that I love the cold jelly, and the day before we left, went out of her way to get me festival mix in a box to take home (another of my favorite jamaican foods!)

We stayed in the upper room for the first week and then moved into the cottage for our last 4 days alone. We did see all the rooms as they were occupied by our friends and the whole place is very clean and comfortable. We found the bed in the upper room a bit more comfortable then the one in the cottage.

I could go on and on and on about how fabulous this place is, but I think you get the point. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Elise, Darryl and here entire staff go out of their way to ensure you have a vacation that is custom-tailored to your wants and desires. A big thanks to all .... Elise, Darryl, Orlando, Shanna, Samantha, Carline, Yvonne and anybody else who I may have missed. You all are so gracious and special. Thank you again for making our wedding day and our whole vacation, so amazing - everybody was awestruck! I will add some photos to this review as soon as I have some!

Room Tip: The cozy cottage is exactly that ... a very cozy cottage - very private.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank valerie-tom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Elise is a welcoming host....Greeting us with warmth like we were family returning to our beautiful home. Lovely rooms , beautiful gardens and attentive staff. Darryl is a wonderful cook providing something delicious for every taste. After a busy day enjoying the countless activities nearby you can return to a wonderful meal or a quiet swim in the pool. Better than home !!!

2  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 24 February 2013

What to say! Darryl, Elise and the staff were awesome! This was home away from home, but with excellent service included. The food was amazing, the place was well kept and everyone was so friendly... I highly recommend this place!

3  Thank Bornt0befree
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Simply put, this is the only place I will stay in Jamaica for any trips to come. The location is tough to beat and the accommodations are spacious, comfortable and well kept. Financially, it is a great value! However, even more importantly, the hospitality is outstanding! Ms. Elise, Ms. Gloria, Daryl and staff (Orlando, Carlene, Yvonne, Mikey) are the consummate hosts and were all incredibly kind and welcoming. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. It was of impeccable standards, from the linens to the decor and design. Comfortable, clean, suitably equipped, spacious and private, with a luxurious bathroom and great wardrobe space. What more do you need.

The property has beautiful surroundings and a very inviting swimming pool area where we relaxed on super-comfortable sun loungers. The tropical gardens are perfectly manicured and gave a real sense of privacy. What a splendid scenery to wake up to each morning.

Moving onto the food. On a scale of 1- 10, I give it an 11. I am having a little trouble finding the words to describe the orgasmic experience. Enough said!

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. It felt like our home away from home! I will continue to recommend The Blue House to anyone who is considering a vacation to the area. If you do not want to stay in a touristy hotel, and want to experience the culture that Jamaica has to offer, then The Blue House is your only option.
Nicole G.