“a natural gem”

Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“a natural gem”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Just is just a little not to say thanks to Elsie, Daryl, Sonia, Patrick, Samantha, Orlando and the others whose names I have now forgotten.
My husband and I spent four days at Blue house and it was wonderful. I won’t say much about the food as everyone has already said it all. However, you should know that Daryl also makes some yummy deserts. It is not often you find one who can both bake and cook.
What we enjoyed about Blue House most was the relaxing feel of home that it offered. We also loved the morning breakfasts and dinners we shared with the other guests. These were times when we shared our day, had a few laughs, and got to know each other a bit. This kind of easy conversation is something you don’t often find at big hotels and definitely not at the all-inclusives that line the strip down the road from Blue House. We got to know some really nice people beyond the surface introductions of what do you do and where are you from. This is all to say that this is the kind of atmosphere the Blue House group creates while at the same time also proving lots of room for privacy, even outside the room. One night my husband and I took our rum punch and relaxed by the pool watching the starts. It was just the two of us and it was beautiful and intimate.
Because of where Blue House is, I can’t help but to make the comparison between it and the other hotels nearby. I was (I guess) fortunate enough to get a good look around San Susci (the large hotel at the bottom of the road – Blue House is on a residential street away from the traffic and strip of hotels) because my husband went diving there and I was able to get it only because of a lack of communication between the front gate and the dive shop. My look around there reconfirmed for me why Blue House is such a gem. Blue House has nothing of the artificiality that you find in those hotels that fall over you to cater to your every need, which is not to say that Elsie and Sonia won’t be there to help you with whatever you need. It is the manner in which they do it that makes all the difference for me. They love what they do and it shows in everything they do. There is nothing of that sterile atmosphere that you find at those all-inclusives. Blue House is your home for your stay where you can kick up your feet and watch the humming birds feed from sugar water on the porch.
By the way, if you don’t have a car, I highly recommend Patrick as a driver. He is great company, easy to talk to and was a real pleasure to have as a driver. In short, thanks everyone at Blue House. It was a wonderful trip and you made this possible.

1 Thank suzsuzfl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had two absolutely wonderful days in the Blue House. It was great to stay there and experience real Jamaican hospitality, family living, spending time chatting  with other guests. The room was comfortable, the food was beyond belief and expectations. The hosts and staff were extremely professional and friendly. Elise and Daryl have created a wonderful setting that you experience most of all at meals. They also shuttled us to Reggae beach, where we spent relaxing days by the ocean. We definitely hope to return!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liya R
Pittsford, New York, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2013

A true slice of heaven on earth. The exterior is a charming periwinkle and the colors that abound throughout the house reflect the rainbow along with the lucious gardens that encirlce the property.It is so peaceful and serene and we were so blessed by Elise's generous hospitality.The food is outstanding and plentiful, creativly prepared by her brother Daryl. It was my third visit and it's like coming home!

1 Thank Dede H
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

"A piece of Heaven" is exactly what one of my friends said as he relaxed in the pool, surrounded by flowering shrubs and hummingbirds. This is my third trip to the Blue House and I absolutely love it more each time. Elise and Daryl are wonderful. The entire staff is warm and welcoming. The food is FANTASTIC! The curried goat and grilled shrimp are out of this world. The desserts; coconut cake, warm pineapple cake and chocolate hazelnut cake simply luscious! We are a large group and everything was handled with grace and ease. We especially enjoy the breakfast on the White River. What a refreshing way to start the day! Elise is an artist, as the house and grounds are beautiful. We will return again!

East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The accomodations are beautiful, the food is excellent, Elise and Daryl are such wonderful people on a personal level. Love coming back here with our group! I've been here 3 times and can't wait to return!

Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Elise hosts our mission team every year after a long week of running a sports camp in Kingston. Kids sleep everywhere around the house. Daryl makes the most amazingly yummy food for our group too. The Blue House is an incredibly beautiful place to stay when you're on the "pretty" side of the island. Elise's hospitality and everyone's desire to make you feel at home is like nowhere else you'll ever experience. Stay at the Blue House! It'll be the best stay you'll have anywhere!

NYC
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I came back to the Blue House after 4 years with my little one and Elise and her crew did not disappoint. The thing I was afraid of was that it had probably changed since the last time I visited as most places do, but the Blue House was exactly the same.

The food was as usual beyond belief. Attached are pictures from some of the meals. Some of the most memorable were the cassava pancakes with a pecan banana caramel sauce, fried lobster, oxtail and the indian food with goat curry. This man is a magician.

But the real beauty of the Blue House again was the personal touch that Elise and her staff bring. We've been to many B&B's, infact that's all we do and none come close to giving us that at home feel like the Blue House. It's like going back to your mom and dad's except it's Jamaica and the food is fantastic.

We absolutely love the Blue House and would never dream of going anywhere else in Jamaica. Great job Elise, Daryl, Orlando and crew. Hopefully it won't be 4 years again before we return.

PRO TIP: Rent a car with Island Car rentals, was a great experience. and if you are a foodie this is a trip worth making for the food alone. Make sure to opt for the dinner package.

Room Tip: Get the Upper Room with the Jacuzzi especially if you have a toddler.