“Real Jamaican Experience”

Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Milton, Ontario, Canada
“Real Jamaican Experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Yes, all inclusives can offer "unlimited everything", but you can get that pretty much anywhere. I'm not knocking all inclusives as they are often my go to place when booking vacations. However, Blue House is a very personal Jamaican experience. If you want to touch the soul of Jamaica, then stay here. Very personalized and personable service by the staff. Food is well... let's just say I'd recommend making a dinner reservation if that were even possible. You walk in as a guest and leave as a friend. Great things happen here. Would go back here anytime!

Room Tip: Honey moon suite and cottage are the best rooms if you can get them, get them.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TDotNeil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights in the Upper Room in July. Wow..where to start?
First off, everything you've read about the incredible cuisine is true..a Veritable Feast every day!
I was secretly apprehensive about things like oxtail, curry goat, saltfish..how glad I am Darryl gave us the complete authentic Jamaican experience! Being a chocolate aficianado, I am still puzzled as to why my dreams include rum raisin bread pudding instead of the delectable chocolate cake..a mystery!.. As for Elise,..a consummate hostess who we loved sharing our dinners with! The conversations alone around that dinner table with other guests are something $$ can't buy. We ended up loving the dinner company and were quite sad to see some guests go!. The Blue House is so beautifully decorated, ditto for the well kept gardens. Great special touches such as: various travel books lying about and towels/sunscreen set out for you. The whole team puts you at ease and you are free to do as much, or little, whilst on your stay. We highly recommend the private airport transfer & our driver "Patrick" who also drove us around downtown Ochie one day. Very dependable, trustworthy, and a natural educator. We learned alot about Jamaica just chatting on our drives. We spent a few days at Reggae Beach and were quite happy about practically having a whole carribean beach to ourselves! Beautiful, great reggae atmosphere, and outstanding lunches! Order before you get hungry, as everything is made fresh and takes a bit to prepare. Being a private owned beach, no worries of pushy tourist targeters. If you love falls, visit Turtle River Park for a day of hiking up, down, and all around the beautiful falls! No picture can capture the beauty of these falls- Be smart and take your lunch along. We left earlier than we wanted because we were hungry. Just ask your driver and he'll help you figure out where to get lunch before you go. Our trip highlight was visiting our sponsored couple of Elise's "Breadbasket Ministries" followed by a lunch/swim at the BlueHole. (This is a patch of Heaven itself hidden in rural Jamaica!). If you are unfamiliar with BreadBasket Ministries, take a moment to read up. It is very different from a 'handout' charity mentality. Elise's very life is integrated with many rural Jamaicans as she strives to not only feed and clothe, but also educate, provide life skills, and mentoring. This is a personal spiritual call of hers, and so it is difficult to speak of the Blue House without mentioning it, as they really co-exist for a greater purpose. My husband and I left Jamaica feeling so well treated, so spiritually rejuvenated and renewed. It is exactly the kind of trip we needed. Thankyou all at the Blue House. Jason misses his "Mavis Bank coffee," morning bird watching and dips in the river. As for me, I miss relaxing poolside at night listening to the sounds of 'nine-night' and the symphony of nature with a little rum cream mixed in :) What a great way to celebrate our 15th Anniversary. A genuine blessing.

1 Thank 667JanMarie
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful, relaxing stay at The Blue House. Exceptional culinary experience and the staff takes care of your every need without being overbearing. Got to experience and learn about real Jamaican culture which you will not get at an all inclusive resort. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Recommend the upper room. Very spacious and huge open shower.
2 Thank Julie B
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We spend three nights in the upper room. The breakfast and dinner was amazing. Darryl is a great chef! We get to know many things about jamaica due to interesting conversations during the dinner with other travellers which was very helpful, as this was our first stop in jamaica. The rooms are beautiful decorated. We would definitely recommend the Blu House to other people.

2 Thank Jana J
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was really happy about my stay at the Blue House. The stuff was really nice and the owners made sure we were all happy with our stay. We visited as a group which made really nice. We booked the whole house so we had everything to ourselves. The food was soooo good. What was really nice of Elise was that she asked each one of us what we liked and what we didn't. Since we all arrived on different days, everyone got to enjoy their favorite meal the day they arrived. Those Cassava pancakes did it for me...I could fly back just for that. The weather was great...I really didn't feel the need to leave the house. With a nice pool and a balcony that overlooks the hills....all I wanted was my glass of wine and I was in heaven. We had such an awesome experience and would love to go back there soon. I also liked the location because it wasn't too far from the town, dunn's river and reggae beach. I would recommend this place to everyone.....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travel J
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Just is just a little not to say thanks to Elsie, Daryl, Sonia, Patrick, Samantha, Orlando and the others whose names I have now forgotten.
My husband and I spent four days at Blue house and it was wonderful. I won’t say much about the food as everyone has already said it all. However, you should know that Daryl also makes some yummy deserts. It is not often you find one who can both bake and cook.
What we enjoyed about Blue House most was the relaxing feel of home that it offered. We also loved the morning breakfasts and dinners we shared with the other guests. These were times when we shared our day, had a few laughs, and got to know each other a bit. This kind of easy conversation is something you don’t often find at big hotels and definitely not at the all-inclusives that line the strip down the road from Blue House. We got to know some really nice people beyond the surface introductions of what do you do and where are you from. This is all to say that this is the kind of atmosphere the Blue House group creates while at the same time also proving lots of room for privacy, even outside the room. One night my husband and I took our rum punch and relaxed by the pool watching the starts. It was just the two of us and it was beautiful and intimate.
Because of where Blue House is, I can’t help but to make the comparison between it and the other hotels nearby. I was (I guess) fortunate enough to get a good look around San Susci (the large hotel at the bottom of the road – Blue House is on a residential street away from the traffic and strip of hotels) because my husband went diving there and I was able to get it only because of a lack of communication between the front gate and the dive shop. My look around there reconfirmed for me why Blue House is such a gem. Blue House has nothing of the artificiality that you find in those hotels that fall over you to cater to your every need, which is not to say that Elsie and Sonia won’t be there to help you with whatever you need. It is the manner in which they do it that makes all the difference for me. They love what they do and it shows in everything they do. There is nothing of that sterile atmosphere that you find at those all-inclusives. Blue House is your home for your stay where you can kick up your feet and watch the humming birds feed from sugar water on the porch.
By the way, if you don’t have a car, I highly recommend Patrick as a driver. He is great company, easy to talk to and was a real pleasure to have as a driver. In short, thanks everyone at Blue House. It was a wonderful trip and you made this possible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzsuzfl
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had two absolutely wonderful days in the Blue House. It was great to stay there and experience real Jamaican hospitality, family living, spending time chatting  with other guests. The room was comfortable, the food was beyond belief and expectations. The hosts and staff were extremely professional and friendly. Elise and Daryl have created a wonderful setting that you experience most of all at meals. They also shuttled us to Reggae beach, where we spent relaxing days by the ocean. We definitely hope to return!

1 Thank Liya R