“Wonderful time at the Blue House”

and 1 more site!
The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We had an excellent time at the Blue House! The rooms are georgeous, the house beautifully decorated, pool is great and much care and attention is obviously paid to the landscaping with abundant flowers and hummingbirds.

This bed and breakfast offers incredible breakfasts and dinners - absolutely exquisite food! Either traditional Jamaican or Chinese. Rum punch is great too!

Elise is wonderful host and you will learn a lot about Jamaica during afternoon and after dinner chats. The personalized, culturally oriented tours she offers also make the stay special. One day we visited a park on the west side of town (forgot the name) and hiked up to headwaters of the river where you can swim in a 12 foot deep pool. Unlike the popular and crowded Dunn's falls, we had the entire paradise to ourselves ... We then went to Scotchies for the best of Jerk.

Reggae beach, just minutes from The Blue House was the most beautiful beach we visited on our entire trip (from Port Antonio to and Ochos area).

We stayed two nights of our honeymoon at the Blue House and loved every peaceful moment.

(Recommended reading while travelling in Jamaica - "The True History of Paradise" by Margaret Cezair-Thompson. This jewel of a novel really gives you an understanding of the history and a taste of the country's unusual cultural legacy.)

One more note - we just booked hotels as we went, moving every 2-3 nights. Another hotel booked our stay at Blue House for us but we later learned this hotel takes a very large percent as finder fee. Alise and her family deserve every cent - book yourself instead of through a third party.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shambu

Reviewed 5 June 2008

The Blue House is a mile or two out of Ochos Rios in St Mary's parish. It run by the Yapp family - manager and hostess Elise - who is great value and her brother Darryl - who is one talented chef.

Not used to staying in B&B's we were a little wary - in the past the expereince has been a little invasive, we're not usually fond of forced socialisation. But the Blue House is different - Elise is a great intuitive hostess and gives you all the advice and help you can need and knows how to make your stay comfortable. And she makes interaction with the other guests very easy and relaxed.

She is such a generous hostess that you do worry about feeling too indebted to her. Which can make leaving, taking up and turning down the offer of services a bit awkward.

Her brother Darryl put together some of the best meals imaginable and they were only too willing to drive you up to Reggae Beach or to town.

It's great too, to stay with locals - you get to find out a lot about the place.

Darryl's cooking...sigh! He is a genius!

Reviewed 9 May 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Jamaica for our 2nd anniversary vacation. We were not interested in the big hotels or all-inclusives, but we wanted somewhere that was 'up to standard'. We were at the brink of choosing another island entirely, when we came across The Blue House here on tripadvisor. Let me just say that all the reviews were true...this place was like home away from home.

We stayed in the cottage, which was behind the main house, and that suited us just fine because we tend to be reclusive. However, having breakfast and dinner with our gracious hostess, Elise, and the other couple staying there at the time, was far from intrusive. Elise made us feel very comfortable....it was as if she was family. And Darryl's cooking was truly Jamaican. It was the best food we had on the island!

We rented a car for our time there, and were able to drive to Montego Bay (the roads were quite wide and easy to navigate). We also drove to the nearby Reggae Beach, Coyoba Gardens, and a little further off to Green Grotto Caves.

Jamaica was great, and we hope to return soon, and we definitely know where we'll be staying! Don't ask any more questions...you have to experience the Blue House for yourself!!!

Joanne and Gary, April 26-30, 2008

Reviewed 9 May 2008

Great hospitality. If you need any help, or any advice – just ask Elise. She never forgets about your requirement. Elise is always ready to recommend you your private holyday.
Love you diving? – no problem, go there
Love you riding a horse? – no problem, go there
Love you a nature? – no problem, go there
Love you fun and games? – no problem, go there
Love you great food? – no problem, go there. Daryl is the best cook
Love you beach and sun – no problem, go there

Simply the best...

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2008

The Blue House in Ocho Rios...

It was cold and dreary in New York and it had been a long year with lifes ups and downs...so..a dear friend of mine and I decide we should go to Jamaica together for the first time. I had my reasons and she had hers...

So I searched on the internet for something different than a hotel (normally, that wouldve scared me but...) I was led to the Blue House in Ocho Rios and I thought...interesting...a peaceful house with a personal touch...Something about the pictures beckoned to me and when I spoke with Elise (the owner of this little piece of paradise) I knew this could be the place...

She was kind and I could feel her warmth right through the phone, and her care about our dietary needs were so detailed. Ms Elise went out of her way to make this stay memorable and she answered all and any questions I had about where to go, things to see and do, massages and so on...

I cant swim but i felt safe in the pool and looked up at the sky.. on my back no less (Im a water chicken at heart..) and the sounds of this place...its no less than hypnotic. Its as though the earth and all its little creatures were singing to me with a mixture of local music and soft laughter...Its hard to describe...You have to experience it for yourself...

I got some of the best sleep there. The little humming birds greet you in the morning along with the smell of a lovely breakfast prepared by Daryl...(hey... if he's missing, you'll find him chained to my stove in NYC) All the meals were prepared with love and so full of island flavor...I wanted to wrap it up and take it with me on the plane ride home...

I would say more but its best discovering this little diamond for yourself...If you dont want the feeling of a large hotel, but you want great food, pool and personable touch in a home setting, then you may want to check this place out...Im glad I did...sincerely, Lisa

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 19 April 2008

This was our last stop, finishing off our tour of Jamaica. We didn't stay in any of the all-inclusive and chose very specific places to stay. The Blue House was by far the best place we stayed at. It was just truly wonderful.
We felt welcome as soon as we arrived. Almost as if we were visiting some very distant family that we hadn't seen in years. Elise & her Mum were there to greet us and showed us to our most exquisite little cottage. The room was so tastefully decorated!
We got the usual arrival drink, but what we also got, and that was a first, is our hostess sitting with us and chatting and actually interested in our little adventures. This was home. Only better, because Darryl was cooking!!! The best chef on the island if you ask us.
The house is enormous and everything is just perfect. The decoration, the furniture, the gardens, the pool... yes, everything looks really nice (I would love my house to look like this one!) and is kept very clean by the lovely staff.
Elise gave us a lot of tips about the area, advised us to go and try the patties, from Juicy patties, which we got addicted to!! She also introduced us to some of her friends. It was fantastic, I hadn't felt so relaxed in a long time. And when I mentioned having my nails painted, it was absolutely not a problem, and a charming lady came to pamper me!
You can also stay for dinner. Get ready for a treat! We had some of the best food I have ever tasted there. Breakfast are also fantastic: you get to choose what you want!

We had a great time. I almost cried when we left. I'm really hoping we'll come back to visit and get more of Darryl's home made punch!

Reviewed 12 March 2008

When planning our trip to Jamaica, the only thing we were clear about was that we didn't want to stay in an all-inclusive. Then we stumbled across reviews of the Blue House on Trip Advisor , and suddenly we knew where we wanted to stay! But once it was booked I started to wonder - could it really be that good?

Well, I can assure you it can and is! We had a wonderful stay here and our only regret about choosing it was that we hadn't booked for longer ;) Everyone who stays here seems to enthuse about the hospitality of Elise and Darryl, and rightly so. We really felt as if we were staying with friends rather than as paying guests in a B&B. Nothing was too much trouble - a lift to church or to a local restaurant, a call to pre-book an excursion, checking shipping schedules so we could avoid the crowds at Dunn's River Falls, and so on.

Darryl's cooking is another plus point. From the first evening, when we were welcomed with a dinner of curried goat and rice and peas, we realised we were in for a few treats. Both breakfasts and dinners here afforded us lots of welcome opportunities to sample Jamaican specialities - ackee & saltfish or rundown for breakfast, conch or that goat curry for dinner. We also enjoyed a lovely Chinese meal one evening. We HAD planned to only eat a couple of dinners here and go out for the others, but the combination of tasty food and good company was too hard to resist!

But in enthusing about the hosts, I should also mention the house itself, which is very stylish and set in a pretty garden. Maybe its distance from town (about 2 miles) is a small drawback, but more than compensated for by the quieter location - apart from the crickets and frogs, that is! My favourite spot was the terrace, in the early morning before breakfast, with a mug of Darryl's strong coffee to wake me up and the hummingbirds flitting among the blossoms :) And our room, the "Sanctuary", lived up to its name: cool and comfortable after a day's sightseeing on the island.

An added bonus of staying somewhere like this is that you meet like-minded travellers. Within a few hours we had hit it off with Monica and Javier (see their review here too!) and with Michael, and had agreed to do some of our sightseeing together - which added to the fun and reduced the costs. And finally, a special mention for Dave, who drove us around so safely and was great company on those outings.

Thanks to all for a great stay,
Sarah & Chris

#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Great Huts
Great Huts
#1 of 30 in Port Antonio

Been to The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!